Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Walter Football Draft Grades

As you guys know, Walterfootball typically has not been a huge fan of our moves.  However, so far he loves what we've done.

Here are his thoughts....

On Taven Bryan

Quote:[Image: jaguarsb_logo.gif] Jacksonville Jaguars: Taven Bryan, DT, Florida A- Grade
Taven Bryan doesn't exactly fill a need, but the first round is not necessarily a time for needs. Selecting the best player available who makes sense is usually a winning strategy, and the Jaguars appear to have made a very strong move.

Bryan was being discussed as a possible top-20 prospect. Getting him at No. 30 is great value, and it doesn't hurt to have another interior pass-rusher to rattle Deshaun Watson

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades1.php#ixzz5DykhguhR

On D.J. Chark...

Quote:[Image: jaguarsb_logo.gif] Jacksonville Jaguars: D.J. Chark, WR, LSU A Grade
D.J. Chark was the fourth- or fifth-ranked receiver by several teams, so it's a bit of a surprise to see him slip so late in the second round. The Jaguars won't complain, as they're getting quite the bargain at No. 61. Chark will fill a huge need at one of the starting receiver positions, vacated by Allen Robinson. It's not out of the question that Chark could be Jacksonville's top wideout by season's end

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades2.php#ixzz5DylW02QQ

and finally on Ronnie Harrison

Quote:[Image: jaguarsb_logo.gif] Jacksonville Jaguars: Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama A+ Grade
"Wow" is what I just said aloud. Harrison is the third prospect I forgot was still on the board on Day 2. Harrison was a high second-round prospect, and if he would've been taken late in the first, I wouldn't have hated it. Harrison is a very talented safety who will make Jacksonville's defense even more dominant.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades3.php#ixzz5DylvCewM

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

“Wow.” Is what I said when I saw the grade Walter gave us. Nice to see him coming around.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

He usually gives our drafts good grades, though.

2017:
Fournette: A-
Cam Robinson: A+
Dwayne Smoot: C+
Dede Westbrook: C
Blair Brown: A
Jalen Myrick: A+
Marqez Williams: B

2016:
Jalen Ramsey: A+
Myles Jack: A+
Yannick Ngagkoue: B
Sheldon Day: A
Tyrone Holmes: A
Brandon Allen: A-
Jonathan Woodward: C+

2015:
Dante Fowler: B+
TJ Yeldon: A
AJ Cann: B+
James Sample: B+
Rashad Greene: A
Michael Bennett: A+
Neal Sterling: C
Ben Koyack: A

2014:
Blake Bortles: B-
Marquis Lee: A
Allen Robinson: C+ (What?)
Brandon Linder: D
Aaron Colvin: B-
Telvin Smith: A
Chris Smith: B+
Luke Bowanko: B
Storm Johnson: A+ (remember him!?)

Last draft he didn't grade very well was 2013, which was easily Dave's worst. Anger got a "Millen" Grade, which was fair (though the millen grade is a dumb idea. Just say F). The last Draft he failed us on was 2011 -- which was definitely a failing draft. (Two "Millen" Grades. Both of which were also fair)

He does hate the Jags, but he seems to like our drafts usually.

(04-28-2018, 11:06 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: He usually gives our drafts good grades, though.  

2017:

2016:

2015:

2014:

Last draft he didn't grade very well was 2013, which was easily Dave's worst.  Anger got a "Millen" Grade, which was fair (though the millen grade is a dumb idea.  Just say F).  The last Draft he failed us on was 2011 -- which was definitely a failing draft.  (Two "Millen" Grades.  Both of which were also fair)

Then I stand corrected.  I know he has been hard on our drafts in the past, but I didn't realize how far back.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-28-2018, 11:06 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: He usually gives our drafts good grades, though.  

Well to be fair we have objectively drafted well since then haha

2017:

2016:

2015:

2014:

Last draft he didn't grade very well was 2013, which was easily Dave's worst.  Anger got a "Millen" Grade, which was fair (though the millen grade is a dumb idea.  Just say F).  The last Draft he failed us on was 2011 -- which was definitely a failing draft.  (Two "Millen" Grades.  Both of which were also fair)

First time out first 3 picks are As

Grades from Walter football are less than meaningless

Draft grades in general don't mean much.

(04-28-2018, 12:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: First time out first 3 picks are As

Our fourth pick was rated an A as well.  (He didn't particularly like our last three picks though -- C, B and C.)

I get that this is projection/value, but a B for Yannick while an A for Brandon Allen lol
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Yeah, I was looking through his past results too. He's wrong at least as much and probably more than he's right. It goes in both directions. He has plenty of guys with A's that are no longer with the team or not living up to A status, but has guys like Robinson and Linder with C and D's and guys like Yannick and Colvin with only B's, etc. It doesn't mean much.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2018, 12:22 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

(04-29-2018, 12:11 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Yeah, I was looking through his past results too.  He's wrong at least as much and probably more than he's right.  It goes in both directions.  He has plenty of guys with A's that are no longer with the team or not living up to A status, but has guys like Robinson and Linder with C and D's and guys like Yannick and Colvin with only B's, etc.  It doesn't mean much.

I agree that he was wrong on specifics, but the overall grades for the drafts are actually pretty near what I would think. Our old drafts were straight garbage, and our grades have got better as our drafts got better. Tells me its better to grade the 'feel' of a class rather than individuals.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I'm inclined to say that Walter is a lazy biased hack whenever he criticises the jags, and a wise, perceptive sage whenever he praises them. But no, it's always the former.

Love that out of that 2014 class Storm Johnson is the only one to receive an A+! Nailed it!

To be fair, we have been pretty awesome with our drafts the last few years. Sometimes it’s bad when your recent drafts are all getting great snaps but just look at our drafts from ‘14 to ‘17..hard to complain when those drafts really helped us get to the AFC championship game
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

(05-04-2018, 03:58 AM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: To be fair, we have been pretty awesome with our drafts the last few years. Sometimes it’s bad when your recent drafts are all getting great snaps but just look at our drafts from ‘14 to ‘17..hard to complain when those drafts really helped us get to the AFC championship game

2015 looks pretty mediocre though.

(05-04-2018, 09:47 AM)Markulous Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 03:58 AM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: To be fair, we have been pretty awesome with our drafts the last few years. Sometimes it’s bad when your recent drafts are all getting great snaps but just look at our drafts from ‘14 to ‘17..hard to complain when those drafts really helped us get to the AFC championship game

2015 looks pretty mediocre though.

You have Fowler who could really turn it on this year. Yeldon has turned into a great 3rd down back and Cann as of now is the starting RG. So not too bad. Plus you throw in Koyack who is a solid contributor. Not like there were any major bust like in Dave's first draft.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-04-2018, 10:29 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 09:47 AM)Markulous Wrote: 2015 looks pretty mediocre though.

You have Fowler who could really turn it on this year. Yeldon has turned into a great 3rd down back and Cann as of now is the starting RG. So not too bad. Plus you throw in Koyack who is a solid contributor. Not like there were any major bust like in Dave's first draft.

It's quite possible that none of those guys are on the team in the 2019 season.  I wouldn't say Yeldon is great, I'd say he's gone for sure.

It's not the worst draft ever or anything but I still don't think it was that good.  Fowler could turn it on, but that's just optimism.

4 years - 2848 yards and 22 TDs.

That's 712 yards and 5.5 TDs per season.

For a 2nd round pick, perhaps they were right based on the total production we got during his time with the Jags.

I know the injury was a factor but at the end of the day, we was very average based on total results.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018, 02:29 PM by pirkster.)

(04-28-2018, 12:46 PM)JackCity Wrote: Grades from Walter football are less than meaningless

Couldn't agree more.

"Brandon Linder: D"
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-28-2018, 12:46 PM)JackCity Wrote: Grades from Walter football are less than meaningless

DEEP THOUGHTS ....
If one has no meaning or significance (which is the definition of meaningless as shown below), what really then is "less than meaningless" ?

mean·ing·less
ˈmēniNGləs/
adjective

1. having no meaning or significance.
    "the paragraph was a jumble of meaningless words"
    synonyms:
    unintelligibleincomprehensibleincoherent
    "a jumble of meaningless words"
    • having no purpose or reason.
      "the Great War was an outstanding example of meaningless conflict"
      synonyms:
      futilepointlessaimlessemptyhollowblankvainpurposelessvaluelessuseless, of no use, worthlesssenselesstrivialtriflingunimportantinsignificantinconsequential
      "she felt her life was meaningless"