Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars.com - No. 247 overall: Jaguars select punter Logan Cooke from Miss St.

No. 247 overall: Jaguars select Cooke

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...f8df5de92c

With the No. 247 overall selection of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Jaguars select Mississippi State punter Logan Cooke

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Competition for Nortman. Nortman had a really solid 2016 season and last season was pretty meh.

I guess it's better than taking a punter in the third round

Punters are people too.
"it's only smellz"

- Rocco Siffredi

Eh, can't complain about 7th round picks that probably won't make the roster.

(04-28-2018, 07:32 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Eh, can't complain about 7th round picks that probably won't make the roster.

Yes, I can. You never waste draft picks on Punters. There will be a ton to pick from, after the draft.

(04-28-2018, 07:32 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Eh, can't complain about 7th round picks that probably won't make the roster.

That late in the draft, I can't complain too much either.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(04-28-2018, 11:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Yes, I can. You never waste draft picks on Punters. There will be a ton to pick from, after the draft.

It's a position that will likely make the team. If it were a D-lineman drafted in the same spot, the dude wouldn't likely stand a chance. Ditto for most positions.

It was a smart move. You get the guy you want. I don't know if any punters went before him, but in all likelihood, Caldwell got his guy.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(04-28-2018, 11:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

They asked Coughlin why not just wait and get him as a UDFA. He explained that the earlier run on Punters forced their hand. Three Punters already went in the draft, and they didn't want to risk losing Cooke. Had only one or two punters been drafted, they would have waited. 
'02

(04-29-2018, 12:28 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 11:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Yes, I can. You never waste draft picks on Punters. There will be a ton to pick from, after the draft.

They asked Coughlin why not just wait and get him as a UDFA. He explained that the earlier run on Punters forced their hand. Three Punters already went in the draft, and they didn't want to risk losing Cooke. Had only one or two punters been drafted, they would have waited. 

Punters are punters. You can't tell me that of all the graduating Punters in this class, we couldn't find someone of equal value after the draft? I'm not buying it. I would've taken an O-Lineman or a CB.

Well, I usually don't want to spend a pick on punters but seems like Joe Decamillis was pushing hard for us to take him so we'll see what he can do.

(04-29-2018, 04:32 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Well, I usually don't want to spend a pick on punters but seems like Joe Decamillis was pushing hard for us to take him so we'll see what he can do.

I noticed that too. When the pick came up, Coughlin was saying Joe D spoke up and said "get him," or something to that effect.

We're talking about a half dozen picks before Mr. Irrelevant was selected. I really can't argue the pick. 

(04-29-2018, 12:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 12:28 AM)Jags02 Wrote: They asked Coughlin why not just wait and get him as a UDFA. He explained that the earlier run on Punters forced their hand. Three Punters already went in the draft, and they didn't want to risk losing Cooke. Had only one or two punters been drafted, they would have waited. 

Punters are punters. You can't tell me that of all the graduating Punters in this class, we couldn't find someone of equal value after the draft? I'm not buying it. I would've taken an O-Lineman or a CB.

Wait a sec...

"Of all the graduating Punters"????

Just how many legitimate Punters do you think there were? He was already the fourth Punter drafted. 

'02

I like this pick. Sounds like he could legitimately compete for the job and make us better. Especially if he could do double duty and improve our touchbacks on kickoffs.

Not a bad pick this late in the round. OL/DL don't usually work out this late in the draft. I think P, K, WR, QB have the highest potential to make the roster in later rounds.

(04-29-2018, 08:07 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 04:32 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Well, I usually don't want to spend a pick on punters but seems like Joe Decamillis was pushing hard for us to take him so we'll see what he can do.

I noticed that too. When the pick came up, Coughlin was saying Joe D spoke up and said "get him," or something to that effect.

We're talking about a half dozen picks before Mr. Irrelevant was selected. I really can't argue the pick. 

(04-29-2018, 12:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Punters are punters. You can't tell me that of all the graduating Punters in this class, we couldn't find someone of equal value after the draft? I'm not buying it. I would've taken an O-Lineman or a CB.

Wait a sec...

Just how many legitimate Punters do you think there were? He was already the fourth Punter drafted. 

He averaged 42.7 yards per punt his senior year (his best year). That would put him 33rd among the NFL punters last season, so he's basically a guy who wouldn't get one of the 32 punting jobs. 

True, at that point in the draft the odds of getting a useful player are very low, but if you draft (say) a fast DB there's always a chance such a player could make the team. Unless JoeD saw something in his form that could be corrected, it was a wasted pick.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-29-2018, 09:05 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 08:07 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

Wait a sec...

He averaged 42.7 yards per punt his senior year (his best year). That would put him 33rd among the NFL punters last season, so he's basically a guy who wouldn't get one of the 32 punting jobs. 

True, at that point in the draft the odds of getting a useful player are very low, but if you draft (say) a fast DB there's always a chance such a player could make the team. Unless JoeD saw something in his form that could be corrected, it was a wasted pick.

But isn't there a lot more to punting than just yardage?

Agreed and that late in the draft, it's basically a wash whether you sign him as an undrafted rookie or not.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(04-29-2018, 09:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Yes there is. There is also the issue of cost. Nortman is making over 2 mil a year right now. 

If the team thinks this guy can be even as close to as good, or better, they're freeing up more money for expiring contracts of the more core players as well.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2018, 11:21 AM by MalabarJag.)

(04-29-2018, 09:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Yes, but those other things like ball placement can be taught. I don't remember offhand any punter greatly improving his leg strength.

But who knows, maybe this guy is really really good at onside kickoffs.

(04-29-2018, 10:30 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 09:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: But isn't there a lot more to punting than just yardage?

Yes there is. There is also the issue of cost. Nortman is making over 2 mil a year right now. 

If the team thinks this guy can be even as close to as good, or better, they're freeing up more money for expiring contracts of the more core players as well.

Giving up 2 yards per punt to save $2M per year in salary? That might be a reasonable tradeoff, but 2 yards is the difference between a good punter and a mediocre punter (or an average punter vs. a terrible punter).

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

It's a chance to save $2 M in cash. The years of the Jags having a ton of cap room are over and now it's time to be fiscally responsible so we can resign our own drafted players and that means cutting expensive free agents. Next year at least 2-3 starters will be salary cap casualties. The more you cut this year, the less painful future years are.