Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How surprised are you that we didn't select a TE or even bring in an UDFA?

Something I just realized. We didn't draft a TE or even bring in an UDFA. That really surprises me. Since we brought in Hurst and Goedert before the draft, I was certain we'd draft a TE or at least bring in some guys as UDFA's. Do you think the team is set on the position and if so, who would we use on 2 TE sets? I'm just curious.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Slightly surprised but I think the front office is satisfied enough with what we have at TE to stick to drafting for Max value.

We also could convert lazard to a move TE type role.

I'm really just gonna sit back and let the front office do what they do. They've really given us no signs that we can't trust em.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Not too surprised since we signed Seferian-Jenkins.

Round 1 was too early for a TE
and by Round 2 most of the best ones were already gone.

Ian Thomas in the 3rd would have been an okay pick, but time will tell.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2018, 02:10 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-29-2018, 02:01 PM)Achilles Wrote: Slightly surprised but I think the front office is satisfied enough with what we have at TE to stick to drafting for Max value.

I'm really just gonna sit back and let the front office do what they do. They've really given us no signs that we can't trust em.

I know that has been speculated, but at this point, it's just guessing. I know Lazard is big for a WR, but at over 6'4" and 227 lbs., he'd probably need to add 15-20 lbs to play a true TE role. Moving him to TE is definitely not impossible, but probably unlikely until we actually hear it from the team. If that means finding a role for him on the team though, that would be great. He is a very good route runner and has excellent hands. I really hope the team does consider him for such a role.

They wanted to bring in Herndon who does a lot of H-Back type stuff. Last year I'm pretty sure they were high on Jonnu Smith who is a similar player.

Niles Paul is mainly for special teams but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up becoming a bigger part of their plans. Koyack is just a depth guy for me , same with James O'Shock but he has more to his game as a receiver.

(04-29-2018, 02:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 02:01 PM)Achilles Wrote: Slightly surprised but I think the front office is satisfied enough with what we have at TE to stick to drafting for Max value.

I know that has been speculated, but at this point, it's just guessing. I know Lazard is big for a WR, but at over 6'4" and 227 lbs., he'd probably need to add 15-20 lbs to play a true TE role. Moving him to TE is definitely not impossible, but probably unlikely until we actually hear it from the team. If that means finding a role for him on the team though, that would be great. He is a very good route runner and has excellent hands. I really hope the team does consider him for such a role.

Think of it this way, gesicki is gonna be a move TE in the NFL. He's 2 inches taller and only 20lbs heavier. I don't think Lazard NEEDS to add too much weight, but an NFL off season program will probably do that naturally anyway. 

His productivity from college is absolutely insane and the fact that we got him and Meeks as udfas is impressive. 

I could imagine a future short yardage set with asj, chark, moncrief, and Lazard that would be pretty damn hard to stop!
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Very surprised we didn't draft a tight end.
Seems they wanted one but Marrone said that once they reached the 4th round the TE's they were interested in were gone. I guess we missed out on those we wanted at the beginning of the second round and were hoping for Ian Thomas to slide a bit further but Carolina taking him at the start of the 4th complicated their plans (that's just my guess though).

Listening to Marrone he seems to rate ASJ really high but knows the group could be improved and they'll look at that. (not sure what moves we could do anyway eventually)

(04-29-2018, 02:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: They wanted to bring in Herndon who does a lot of H-Back type stuff.  Last year I'm pretty sure they were high on Jonnu Smith who is a similar player.  

Niles Paul is mainly for special teams but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up becoming a bigger part of their plans. Koyack is just a depth guy for me , same with James O'Shock but he has more to his game as a receiver.

I don't know how much Paul has left in the tank but he used to be a pretty good receiving option. I feel like the Redskins never really used him correctly but he did have injury issues.

(04-29-2018, 02:20 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 02:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I know that has been speculated, but at this point, it's just guessing. I know Lazard is big for a WR, but at over 6'4" and 227 lbs., he'd probably need to add 15-20 lbs to play a true TE role. Moving him to TE is definitely not impossible, but probably unlikely until we actually hear it from the team. If that means finding a role for him on the team though, that would be great. He is a very good route runner and has excellent hands. I really hope the team does consider him for such a role.

Think of it this way, gesicki is gonna be a move TE in the NFL. He's 2 inches taller and only 20lbs heavier. I don't think Lazard NEEDS to add too much weight, but an NFL off season program will probably do that naturally anyway. 

His productivity from college is absolutely insane and the fact that we got him and Meeks as udfas is impressive. 

I could imagine a future short yardage set with asj, chark, moncrief, and Lazard that would be pretty damn hard to stop!

I would like that.

Moderately surprised.

(04-29-2018, 02:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Evan Engram is 6' 3" 234 lbs

No doubt, I was quite surprised. I thought they'd seriously look at this in the 2nd round, however it's obvious that they totally stuck with their board rather than looking at needs. I'm glad they took Chark in the 2nd round as he could prove to be a steal. Personally, I would have taken Ian Thomas in the 3rd round, but Harrison was too much value for them to pass on. Time will tell how that decision turns out. Coughlin did mention Chris Herndon as a target in the 4th round, but I guess he was already gone.

Lazard was a guy I really liked in this draft. He just seems like a guy who, despite his lack of great speed, will produce once he reaches the NFL. It's obvious there is little or no room for additional wide receivers once they took Chark. I have a hunch they'll find a way to keep Lazard on the roster, possibly as an move tight end and extra wide receiver in case of injury.

(04-29-2018, 03:01 PM)JNev Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 02:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I know that has been speculated, but at this point, it's just guessing. I know Lazard is big for a WR, but at over 6'4" and 227 lbs., he'd probably need to add 15-20 lbs to play a true TE role. Moving him to TE is definitely not impossible, but probably unlikely until we actually hear it from the team. If that means finding a role for him on the team though, that would be great. He is a very good route runner and has excellent hands. I really hope the team does consider him for such a role.
Evan Engram is 6' 3" 234 lbs

An inch and a half less and 7 more pounds is quite a bit more mass.

(04-29-2018, 04:06 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 03:01 PM)JNev Wrote: Evan Engram is 6' 3" 234 lbs

1 inch and 7 lbs is a measuring rounding error and a Big Mac meal difference. Be realistic

(04-29-2018, 04:06 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 03:01 PM)JNev Wrote: Evan Engram is 6' 3" 234 lbs

And Engram runs a 4.4

(04-29-2018, 04:31 PM)JaxonJag24 Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 04:06 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: An inch and a half less and 7 more pounds is quite a bit more mass.
And Engram runs a 4.4

Fair, but it was only size that was mentioned. Engram's a much better athlete, but size wont stop Lazard from being a "TE" if the team wants him to be

Surprised, but not as surprised as I was last year.

Overall it is mind boggling that we have had one of the worst TE corps in the league for a while and we let an all time great and then another very solid TE class go with nothing.

Not much. We picked up out starter in FA and this was a weak class. Most didn't describe it that way because we were trying too hard to choose something from those scraps.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-29-2018, 05:42 PM)pirkster Wrote: Not much.  We picked up out starter in FA and this was a weak class.  Most didn't describe it that way because we were trying too hard to choose something from those scraps.

I don't think it was a weak class. Nothing compared to last years historic class but above average compared to most years

After they took a DT in the first round, there wasn't much I was surprised about. That set the tone for what they were doing