Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bye Bye Boy Scouts

(05-03-2018, 06:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 08:16 AM)JackCity Wrote: You could just have a "Scouts" like Ireland does.

This isn't Ireland.

In this country we have (had) cub scouts / boy scouts for boys and brownies / girl scouts for girls.  All 4 programs used to teach essential life skills to youngsters along with establishing/improving character, morals, patriotism, etc.  It seems that in today's society the programs have changed to "recreation" or more like "baby sitting" rather than learning tools.

And that's the difference....it's 2018 and gender based roles don't exist. When the programs both started, women were stay at home moms.

Now many women have full time jobs just like men do, and nowadays women have pretty much any job in the military open to them as well. The boy scouts program was originally started to prepare children to have a jump start on becoming a part of the military. 

Why wouldn't you want the people defending your country to learn as many skills as possible while they're growing up, whether it's a female or a male soldier?

I mean it seems silly to me to get upset over this. If a little girl would rather learn how to tie some knots and go camping instead of sewing and selling some cookies, then so be it. I think it should work both ways and boys should be able to join the girlscouts if they for some reason wanted to as well. 

Who really cares? As long as your kid is out there learning, being social, and happy, why should it bother you? 

I am not sure how a girl being in the scouts negatively affects anyone. It only seems like a positive thing unless you're just afraid that women as equals somehow effects your masculinity.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-05-2018, 05:54 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 06:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: This isn't Ireland.

In this country we have (had) cub scouts / boy scouts for boys and brownies / girl scouts for girls.  All 4 programs used to teach essential life skills to youngsters along with establishing/improving character, morals, patriotism, etc.  It seems that in today's society the programs have changed to "recreation" or more like "baby sitting" rather than learning tools.

And that's the difference....it's 2018 and gender based roles don't exist. When the programs both started, women were stay at home moms.

Now many women have full time jobs just like men do, and nowadays women have pretty much any job in the military open to them as well. The boy scouts program was originally started to prepare children to have a jump start on becoming a part of the military. 

Why wouldn't you want the people defending your country to learn as many skills as possible while they're growing up, whether it's a female or a male soldier?

I mean it seems silly to me to get upset over this. If a little girl would rather learn how to tie some knots and go camping instead of sewing and selling some cookies, then so be it. I think it should work both ways and boys should be able to join the girlscouts if they for some reason wanted to as well. 

Who really cares? As long as your kid is out there learning, being social, and happy, why should it bother you? 

I am not sure how a girl being in the scouts negatively affects anyone. It only seems like a positive thing unless you're just afraid that women as equals somehow effects your masculinity.

It's quite funny to watch girls, who have now grown up in the "You can be anything and have it all" world of 3rd Wave Feminism, more and more choose to be married, home schooling, stay at home mothers. Almost as much fun as watching the miserable old crone Feminists attack them for their choice. The world is changing again, right in front of our eyes.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-05-2018, 08:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 05:54 AM)Achilles Wrote: And that's the difference....it's 2018 and gender based roles don't exist. When the programs both started, women were stay at home moms.

It's quite funny to watch girls, who have now grown up in the "You can be anything and have it all" world of 3rd Wave Feminism, more and more choose to be married, home schooling, stay at home mothers. Almost as much fun as watching the miserable old crone Feminists attack them for their choice. The world is changing again, right in front of our eyes.

The world is cyclical.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(05-05-2018, 08:23 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 08:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's quite funny to watch girls, who have now grown up in the "You can be anything and have it all" world of 3rd Wave Feminism, more and more choose to be married, home schooling, stay at home mothers. Almost as much fun as watching the miserable old crone Feminists attack them for their choice. The world is changing again, right in front of our eyes.

The world is cyclical.

And we are but the cynics within it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-05-2018, 08:23 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 08:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's quite funny to watch girls, who have now grown up in the "You can be anything and have it all" world of 3rd Wave Feminism, more and more choose to be married, home schooling, stay at home mothers. Almost as much fun as watching the miserable old crone Feminists attack them for their choice. The world is changing again, right in front of our eyes.

The world is cyclical.

In today's world of gender and sexual flexibility, I believe the term is bicyclical.

(05-05-2018, 08:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 08:23 AM)Achilles Wrote: The world is cyclical.

In today's world of gender and sexual flexibility, I believe the term is bicyclical.

Xyclical?

(05-05-2018, 08:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 08:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: In today's world of gender and sexual flexibility, I believe the term is bicyclical.

Xyclical?

For the more adventurous, tricyclical.

(05-05-2018, 08:44 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 08:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Xyclical?

For the more adventurous, tricyclical.

Poor Adam2012 is stuck with just his own unicycle.

[Image: Top-24-who-cares-meme2.jpg]
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-05-2018, 08:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: In today's world of gender and sexual flexibility, I believe the term is bicyclical.

Can't we just go back to the days when a women's "sexual flexibility" was about how far over she could bend?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(05-04-2018, 05:06 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 04:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: You assume every kid is a stepford child. Each kid has different personalities even if the same sex and that hardly makes them EXACTLY LIKE EVERYONE ELSE as you say. 

And yeah, a person is going to have a different relationship with their son than their daughter. Heck, they'll have different relationships with same sex kids who are different ages and different personalities. My sister and I are only two years apart in age but have polar opposite personalities. My brother who is nine years younger than me is closer to me personality speaking but we are still two very different people so our parents have different relationships with each of us. 

AND THAT'S OKAY.

So you see the value in interacting with people with different personalities and background yet want to support a system that purposely seeks to exclude interaction with people with different background and therefor different personalities? And this does not seem completely contradictory to you?

All segregation in any form does is create an "us" versus "them", whether it's with gender, skin color, education, nationality or any other reason anyone can of think. once you start down that path it opens people up to consider their group superior to the others. It even happens on this very board with something as inconsequential as sports, how often have you heard the phrase "yeah, [poster] is a tacks/Lions/clots fan, but they're one of the better ones"? Because we file these people in these groups we start judging by whatever label and attitude we assign to that group instead of judging for the human being they are.
Oh freaking please!  One week every year I spend a week in the woods, camping, fishing, drinking and carousing with my brothers from other mothers.  We have one rule.  NO estrogen allowed.  Does this make us women haters?  Does this mean we hate our spouses, daughters, mothers, grandmothers and granddaughters?  

Here is some science for you that you obviously disregard.  Men and women are different.  We think different.  We act different.  We do this because of our DNA.  You can't change that no matter how hard you try.  And sit down for this little tidbit, THAT IS OK!  Why the heck can't you celebrate our differences instead of demanding that we must disregard human nature?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(05-04-2018, 05:06 PM)DragonFury Wrote: All segregation in any form does is create an "us" versus "them", whether it's with gender, skin color, education, nationality or any other reason anyone can of think. once you start down that path it opens people up to consider their group superior to the others. 

So what's your goal.....one bathroom for everyone?  Eliminate all handicap parking spaces?  Picket in front of any restaurant offering a senior discount?  I'm sitting in JFK right now, waiting for a flight.  Suppose they allow someone traveling with a young child to board first, should I protest?

(05-05-2018, 08:27 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 05:06 PM)DragonFury Wrote: All segregation in any form does is create an "us" versus "them", whether it's with gender, skin color, education, nationality or any other reason anyone can of think. once you start down that path it opens people up to consider their group superior to the others. 

So what's your goal.....one bathroom for everyone?  Eliminate all handicap parking spaces?  Picket in front of any restaurant offering a senior discount?  I'm sitting in JFK right now, waiting for a flight.  Suppose they allow someone traveling with a young child to board first, should I protest?

Depends, are they white?

(05-05-2018, 07:49 PM)copycat Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 05:06 PM)DragonFury Wrote: So you see the value in interacting with people with different personalities and background yet want to support a system that purposely seeks to exclude interaction with people with different background and therefor different personalities? And this does not seem completely contradictory to you?

All segregation in any form does is create an "us" versus "them", whether it's with gender, skin color, education, nationality or any other reason anyone can of think. once you start down that path it opens people up to consider their group superior to the others. It even happens on this very board with something as inconsequential as sports, how often have you heard the phrase "yeah, [poster] is a tacks/Lions/clots fan, but they're one of the better ones"? Because we file these people in these groups we start judging by whatever label and attitude we assign to that group instead of judging for the human being they are.
Oh freaking please!  One week every year I spend a week in the woods, camping, fishing, drinking and carousing with my brothers from other mothers.  We have one rule.  NO estrogen allowed.  Does this make us women haters?  Does this mean we hate our spouses, daughters, mothers, grandmothers and granddaughters?  

Here is some science for you that you obviously disregard.  Men and women are different.  We think different.  We act different.  We do this because of our DNA.  You can't change that no matter how hard you try.  And sit down for this little tidbit, THAT IS OK!  Why the heck can't you celebrate our differences instead of demanding that we must disregard human nature?
Brokeback?

(05-05-2018, 09:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 08:27 PM)Sneakers Wrote: So what's your goal.....one bathroom for everyone?  Eliminate all handicap parking spaces?  Picket in front of any restaurant offering a senior discount?  I'm sitting in JFK right now, waiting for a flight.  Suppose they allow someone traveling with a young child to board first, should I protest?

Depends, are they white?

LOL.  You can't be suggesting the protests follow a certain pattern.....

(05-06-2018, 07:44 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 09:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Depends, are they white?

LOL.  You can't be suggesting the protests follow a certain pattern.....

Not a suggestion at all.

I'm sure it like everything has to do with finances, maybe those complaining should've opened their wallets wider when they had the chance

(05-06-2018, 03:48 PM)My Desired Display Name Wrote: I'm sure it like everything has to do with finances, maybe those complaining should've opened their wallets wider when they had the chance

I don't disagree with you.  Finances are behind the decision to be sure.  But I think the issue goes a bit deeper.  The scouts of the 60's are no longer the same in 2018 to be sure, but the concepts that they taught 40 years ago would go along way to help young men today.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(05-05-2018, 07:49 PM)copycat Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 05:06 PM)DragonFury Wrote: So you see the value in interacting with people with different personalities and background yet want to support a system that purposely seeks to exclude interaction with people with different background and therefor different personalities? And this does not seem completely contradictory to you?

You, sir, are in tune with your manhood.

Those who still haven't found theirs or never will, will never understand.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Yes sir. Love men only places.

Need more nightclubs with just guys in so we can be all manly!