Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thoughts Before Rookie Minicamp

Musings borne of football withdrawal between doses of cold medicine...

1.  Even though he is less experienced than Henne when he arrived here, somehow I am far more confident in this team's fortunes should Kessler get extended play than I was with Henne by the timehe left.

2.  While ASJ brings more youth, speed and athleticism than former Jaguars TE Marcedes Lewis,  somehow I get the sense the TE position won't be a source of confidence for Jaguars fans...at least for half the season.

3.  I want to see much more of Tim Cook behind our OL now that Ivory is gone.  I belive he can help the running game retain its power spelling Fournette.

4.  I like the Chark pick at 61, and I have stated he isn't Julio Jones, nor does he have to be for his pick to be a good one.  He just needs to make enough deep plays to give teams pause about putting that 8th guy in the box.  But as I look back to last year, I remember drops of catchable passes cost this team the Jets and 2nd tacks game.  With that unpleasant trip down memory lane finished, I amend this analysis to reflect the needfor him and all of our receivers, to be beter making the routine , catchable passes.

5.  I sure hope Taven Bryan flashes enough disruption and pass rush ability to not only effectively spell Campbell and Jackson, but to give the team and fans confidence in the inevitable DL succession.  I don't want to see Campbell, Jackson, or Dareus cut, but at least some of their cap departures seem inevitable.  But if they must go, I want the team's decisions to be confident, decisive andultimately wise.

6.  Continuing on the DL, I still believe, if possible, Fowler should be retained beyond this year.  But I like the idea of Fowler in a contract year opposite Ngakoue.

7.  The next few days, I am making a point to study Harrison in coverage.  After Dareus arrived, the one weakness this team showed were against deep passes over the middle.  Given the experience of Church and Gipson, that shouldn't happen.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Another thought...last year, Marrone used the first two weeks of camp to set a physical tone and to find out about the O Line. Now that the OLperformed as it did last year, will the approach to camp be different, or will itbe the same?

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018, 06:50 PM by knarnn.)

(05-03-2018, 06:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Another thought...last year, Marrone used the first two weeks of camp to set a physical tone and to find out about the O Line.  Now that the OLperformed as it did last year, will the approach to camp be different, or will itbe the same?

I'm a fan of the physicality and I hope we do the same this year. I also think it helped the team with conditioning (and potentially a reason as to why we avoided the injury bug for most of the year?) in addition to the mental aspect of what we were looking to accomplish. Since this year should be more of the same, I'm hoping to see our guys banging it out in camp as much as possible.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

When does rookie camp start? Next week?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018, 09:14 PM by MojoKing.)

Anyone see that video they just posted?

Did anyone notice Blake’s throwing motion? Yay or Nay?

(05-03-2018, 09:14 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Anyone see that video they just posted?

I cannot get it to play

(05-03-2018, 06:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Another thought...last year, Marrone used the first two weeks of camp to set a physical tone and to find out about the O Line.  Now that the OLperformed as it did last year, will the approach to camp be different, or will itbe the same?

I spent the day in Cleveland and the catch phrase up there is "Change the culture"  For me it was deja vu all over again.  With that said, I am curious as well as to how they handle this year.  The culture has been changed here in Jax but the catch phase here this year is we start at square one.  It would not surprise me one bit it we again see a physical camp.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(05-03-2018, 05:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Musings borne of football withdrawal between doses of cold medicine...

1.  Even though he is less experienced than Henne when he arrived here, somehow I am far more confident in this team's fortunes should Kessler get extended play than I was with Henne by the timehe left.

Kessler actually reminds me of Henne in that he only throws short, but in his case it's more because he has to. Henne can physically throw deep, but he's either lost his confidence or is afraid to. It's Henne's inabilty to avoid pressure that had me worried the most when he was out there. I'm kind of hoping the strong-armed Tanner Lee can develop enough this year to take over as the backup next year, and then just maybe supplant Bortles in 2020. I firmly believe Tanner can do the job if they fix the mental part of his game.

2.  While ASJ brings more youth, speed and athleticism than former Jaguars TE Marcedes Lewis,  somehow I get the sense the TE position won't be a source of confidence for Jaguars fans...at least for half the season.

Catching a glimpse of ASJ from the Jaguars recent practice, he's a big guy. I think he's put on some weight with the idea that he's going to be asked to block more. We're going to need every ouce of effort out of this TE crew... 1. ASJ 2. Paul Niles 3. Koyack 4. O'Shaughnessy

3.  I want to see much more of Tim Cook behind our OL now that Ivory is gone.  I belive he can help the running game retain its power spelling Fournette.

Cook has some game and at this point appears to have clinched the fourth spot at RB, but they may only keep Fournette, Grant and Yeldon. If they do keep four RBs, Cook's only competition would be Brandon Wilds who was formerly a PS player for the Jets.

4.  I like the Chark pick at 61, and I have stated he isn't Julio Jones, nor does he have to be for his pick to be a good one.  He just needs to make enough deep plays to give teams pause about putting that 8th guy in the box.  But as I look back to last year, I remember drops of catchable passes cost this team the Jets and 2nd tacks game.  With that unpleasant trip down memory lane finished, I amend this analysis to reflect the needfor him and all of our receivers, to be beter making the routine , catchable passes.

It looks l ike Chark is well accustomed to having to adjust to catch poorly thrown balls. He might be really fun to watch if Blake can hit him in stride.

5.  I sure hope Taven Bryan flashes enough disruption and pass rush ability to not only effectively spell Campbell and Jackson, but to give the team and fans confidence in the inevitable DL succession.  I don't want to see Campbell, Jackson, or Dareus cut, but at least some of their cap departures seem inevitable.  But if they must go, I want the team's decisions to be confident, decisive andultimately wise.

With the possibility of restructuring contracts, I'm not so sure we depart with a guy like Malik Jackson unless we can trade him. The concept of Taven rotating in at the 3-tech spot may just last a few years. I'm sure he'll get his fair share of reps just like Fowler has been getting, and next year we may see Smoot getting more reps as well.

6.  Continuing on the DL, I still believe, if possible, Fowler should be retained beyond this year.  But I like the idea of Fowler in a contract year opposite Ngakoue.

I picture Fowler wanting top dollar to start somewhere else.

7.  The next few days, I am making a point to study Harrison in coverage.  After Dareus arrived, the one weakness this team showed were against deep passes over the middle.  Given the experience of Church and Gipson, that shouldn't happen.

I do think he excels far better than Cyp, but I feel he's basically the going to fill that same box safety SS role while backing up Church.

'02

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018, 03:46 AM by Fred Jones-Brunell.)

The OLine didn’t really play that well at the end of the year. That may have been due to a physically demanding camp before a long season. Still wouldn’t be opposed to a repeat because a lot of the lack of run production in the tail end of the regular season could have been because Fournette was banged up. Regardless, we need to sit LF7 the majority of the preseason.

My post was in response to the OP talking about offensive line playing well possibly due to a physical camp (new phone.)
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

(05-04-2018, 03:46 AM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: The OLine didn’t really play that well at the end of the year. That may have been due to a physically demanding camp before a long season. Still wouldn’t be opposed to a repeat because a lot of the lack of run production in the tail end of the regular season could have been because Fournette was banged up. Regardless, we need to sit LF7 the majority of the preseason.

My post was in response to the OP talking about offensive line playing well possibly due to a physical camp (new phone.)

I was reading that Cam hit his rookie wall late in the season and struggled in his last few games and in the Playoffs, but I don't personally recall seeing any of that. In my mind Cam was a stud from week on through the AFCC.

'02

Link to said video? I don't see anything with Blake throwing
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-04-2018, 03:26 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 05:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Musings borne of football withdrawal between doses of cold medicine...

Kessler actually reminds me of Henne in that he only throws short, but in his case it's more because he has to. Henne can physically throw deep, but he's either lost his confidence or is afraid to. It's Henne's inabilty to avoid pressure that had me worried the most when he was out there. I'm kind of hoping the strong-armed Tanner Lee can develop enough this year to take over as the backup next year, and then just maybe supplant Bortles in 2020. I firmly believe Tanner can do the job if they fix the mental part of his game.

Catching a glimpse of ASJ from the Jaguars recent practice, he's a big guy. I think he's put on some weight with the idea that he's going to be asked to block more. We're going to need every ouce of effort out of this TE crew... 1. ASJ 2. Paul Niles 3. Koyack 4. O'Shaughnessy

Cook has some game and at this point appears to have clinched the fourth spot at RB, but they may only keep Fournette, Grant and Yeldon. If they do keep four RBs, Cook's only competition would be Brandon Wilds who was formerly a PS player for the Jets.

It looks l ike Chark is well accustomed to having to adjust to catch poorly thrown balls. He might be really fun to watch if Blake can hit him in stride.

With the possibility of restructuring contracts, I'm not so sure we depart with a guy like Malik Jackson unless we can trade him. The concept of Taven rotating in at the 3-tech spot may just last a few years. I'm sure he'll get his fair share of reps just like Fowler has been getting, and next year we may see Smoot getting more reps as well.

I picture Fowler wanting top dollar to start somewhere else.

I do think he excels far better than Cyp, but I feel he's basically the going to fill that same box safety SS role while backing up Church.

1.  I got a very different impression from what I saw of Kessler.  I saw a guy who seemei to aggressively attack the intermediate zones.

2.  To me, ASJ needs to be a viable option over the middle for Bortles.  I think the running game can still thrive even if ASJ isn't a crushing blocker, as long as he can be a security blanket and occasionally threaten deep.

3.  You are quite correct that the team may only keep three RBs excluding Bohanon.  Therefore it will be vital for Cook to show some versatility to his game.  For his sake his time on the practice squad needed to make him a better blocker and receiver.  His main competitor, besides perhaps a lower roster number for Rbs, might be the well rounded Yeldon.

(05-04-2018, 01:22 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

Link to said video? I don't see anything with Blake throwing

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...a31ee9dd73
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(05-04-2018, 08:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 03:46 AM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: The OLine didn’t really play that well at the end of the year. That may have been due to a physically demanding camp before a long season. Still wouldn’t be opposed to a repeat because a lot of the lack of run production in the tail end of the regular season could have been because Fournette was banged up. Regardless, we need to sit LF7 the majority of the preseason.

I was reading that Cam hit his rookie wall late in the season and struggled in his last few games and in the Playoffs, but I don't personally recall seeing any of that. In my mind Cam was a stud from week on through the AFCC.

Cam is one of the main reasons we lost the AFC championship game along with a number of others.  He got got destroyed by James Harrison a number of times in that 2nd half, especially that last drive

(05-03-2018, 06:49 PM)knarnn Wrote:

I'm a fan of the physicality and I hope we do the same this year. I also think it helped the team with conditioning (and potentially a reason as to why we avoided the injury bug for most of the year?) in addition to the mental aspect of what we were looking to accomplish. Since this year should be more of the same, I'm hoping to see our guys banging it out in camp as much as possible.

I agree with all of this. If you go soft in training camp the guys won't be conditioned for when it gets real during the season. They need that mental and physical toughness to endure, especially the guys coming from states that aren't as hot and humid as Jacksonville. A player who came here from Dallas recently, I can't remember his name, said the program was about the same in Jacksonville as in Dallas but the amount of times they actually did drills was a lot more- like 50-60% more. He said it was tough at first but during the season it paid off. 

I think the toughness is what Marrone is about, period.

(05-04-2018, 04:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 06:49 PM)knarnn Wrote: I'm a fan of the physicality and I hope we do the same this year. I also think it helped the team with conditioning (and potentially a reason as to why we avoided the injury bug for most of the year?) in addition to the mental aspect of what we were looking to accomplish. Since this year should be more of the same, I'm hoping to see our guys banging it out in camp as much as possible.

I agree with all of this. If you go soft in training camp the guys won't be conditioned for when it gets real during the season. They need that mental and physical toughness to endure, especially the guys coming from states that aren't as hot and humid as Jacksonville. A player who came here from Dallas recently, I can't remember his name, said the program was about the same in Jacksonville as in Dallas but the amount of times they actually did drills was a lot more- like 50-60% more. He said it was tough at first but during the season it paid off. 

Barry Church?

Swear to God dude is gonna bite his tongue off one day
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(05-03-2018, 09:27 PM)copycat Wrote:

I spent the day in Cleveland and the catch phrase up there is "Change the culture"  For me it was deja vu all over again.  With that said, I am curious as well as to how they handle this year.  The culture has been changed here in Jax but the catch phase here this year is we start at square one.  It would not surprise me one bit it we again see a physical camp.

I think Cleveland had a roster that could turn things around.  But there are a couple of huge differences between our situation and theirs.  First, Cleveland has a head cthat has been there two years already and amassed a 2-32 recorf those years.  Msrrone was a position coach for almost two seasons when he was named intrrim coach.  He could change things and have the credibility to do so
  It will be tough for Jackson to pull that off.

Secondly, even though the Browns have Tyrof Taylor, they will be relying on a rookie to help with this culture chsnge
  We had Bortles, an experienced Qb with no real alternative behind him.  Rookies typically don't play as well as experienced passers, and in terms of leadership, I think few on that the soil take Taylor seriously knowing Mayfield I'd wsiting in the wings.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018, 06:14 PM by Hard_Eight.)

Cleveland is also already looking for another stadium. 2029 their lease is up.

Probably wanna wash the stink off the place...
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(05-04-2018, 04:59 PM)Markulous Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 04:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I agree with all of this. If you go soft in training camp the guys won't be conditioned for when it gets real during the season. They need that mental and physical toughness to endure, especially the guys coming from states that aren't as hot and humid as Jacksonville. A player who came here from Dallas recently, I can't remember his name, said the program was about the same in Jacksonville as in Dallas but the amount of times they actually did drills was a lot more- like 50-60% more. He said it was tough at first but during the season it paid off. 

Barry Church?

Yes, thank you!