Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thoughts Before Rookie Minicamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgPD2VsqqI

Here is an analysis of Ronnie Harrison.

To me, he's not a thumper.

Based upon the way Alabama played him against Clemson,, Georgia, and Colorado state, he's not a run stuffing safety.

He seemed to play often in short hook zones between 5-10 yards of the LOS. He also had some deep cover responsibilities. I agree with the part about the tackling issues.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-04-2018, 04:11 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 01:22 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Link to said video? I don't see anything with Blake throwing

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...a31ee9dd73

Thanks!

Looks fine to me. The only clip of the full motion is the slow mo at the start so it's hard to tell by that
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I’m most intrigued by Lazard. Our success with undrafted WRs will continue with him.

(05-05-2018, 12:20 PM)Bullseye Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgPD2VsqqI

Based upon the way Alabama played him against Clemson,, Georgia, and Colorado state, he's not a run stuffing safety.

He seemed to play often in short hook zones between 5-10 yards of the LOS.  He also had some deep cover responsibilities.  I agree with the part about the tackling issues.

He is replacing Gipson. Thank the lord because he is terrible.

After watching the video I still see Ronnie as a SS and not a FS. Church will teach him up regarding his tackling issues. 
'02

(05-05-2018, 03:49 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 12:20 PM)Bullseye Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgPD2VsqqI

He seemed to play often in short hook zones between 5-10 yards of the LOS.  He also had some deep cover responsibilities.  I agree with the part about the tackling issues.

He is replacing Gipson. Thank the lord because he is terrible.

Both of these sentences are false.

(05-05-2018, 04:34 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 03:49 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: He is replacing Gipson. Thank the lord because he is terrible.

Both of these sentences are false.

Yeah. Harrison was drafted because 1) he fell that far and represents value at the pick, and  -
2) he is (on paper) a younger version of Barry Church that will clear Church's salary from the books in 2019. 

If they put him at FS my jaw would hit the floor. Not gonna happen.

Also - the Gipson haters are odd to me. Dude had maybe 9 plays all year where he was caught out. Beyond those he played quite well I thought. I'm all about drafting a cheaper (and maybe more talented) FS next year, but Gipson is certainly not terrible.

(05-06-2018, 05:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 04:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: Both of these sentences are false.

Yeah. Harrison was drafted because 1) he fell that far and represents value at the pick, and  -
2) he is (on paper) a younger version of Barry Church that will clear Church's salary from the books in 2019. 

Also - the Gipson haters are odd to me. Dude had maybe 9 plays all year where he was caught out. Beyond those he played quite well I thought. I'm all about drafting a cheaper (and maybe more talented) FS next year, but Gipson is certainly not terrible.

My favourite trait of Harrison's is his ability in zone to react and diagnose what's happening. That's like 70% of what I want our SS to be good at and that's one of Church's best attributes too. 

It is odd. How long have we been looking for a Gipson type at safety? Granted a lot of his work won't be immediately seen on the backend but he's a vital cog. I'm happy Wash adapted his role to Gipsons liking too. He barely missed any tackles and was elite when covering in the slot.

(05-06-2018, 07:09 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 05:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. Harrison was drafted because 1) he fell that far and represents value at the pick, and  -

My favourite trait of Harrison's is his ability in zone to react and diagnose what's happening. That's like 70% of what I want our SS to be good at and that's one of Church's best attributes too. 

It is odd. How long have we been looking for a Gipson type at safety? Granted a lot of his work won't be immediately seen on the backend but he's a vital cog. I'm happy Wash adapted his role to Gipsons liking too. He barely missed any tackles and was elite when covering in the slot.

Lageman recently called him a "coach's kid, high football IQ guy."   A year behind Church on the depth chart should have him ready to go in this system. All indications are he'll soak it up quickly.

(05-06-2018, 05:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 04:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: Both of these sentences are false.

I agree. As good as our secondary was, no one out there was terrible. I think Hays on 1010 said it well: if you want to consider Gipson maybe the "weak link" of the secondary, that's fine. And an argument can be made there. But to say he's terrible is just wrong.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Gipson is the best FS we have had since Grant. Easily a top 10 FS in the league

(05-06-2018, 12:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Gipson is the best FS we have had since Grant.  Easily a top 10 FS in the league

I would agree with that. It's easy to say Church or Gipson need to be replaced because they probably are our weakest links (well before Colvin left) because of how friggin stacked and talented our defense is, but the reality is Gipson is solid.

(05-06-2018, 11:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 07:09 AM)JackCity Wrote: My favourite trait of Harrison's is his ability in zone to react and diagnose what's happening. That's like 70% of what I want our SS to be good at and that's one of Church's best attributes too. 

Lageman recently called him a "coach's kid, high football IQ guy."   A year behind Church on the depth chart should have him ready to go in this system. All indications are he'll soak it up quickly.

That’s interesting because most scouting reports I’ve seen on him were “he’s not very smart”  or some variant. I kind of find that hard to believe.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(05-06-2018, 12:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Gipson is the best FS we have had since Grant.  Easily a top 10 FS in the league

Gip gets ragged on a bit for a mistake or two he made in the AFCCG, however, in that same game I noticed a guy who was able to effectively cover Gronk with no issues. Not even Byard, the great tack FS, can claim that much.
'02

(05-06-2018, 02:19 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 11:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lageman recently called him a "coach's kid, high football IQ guy."   A year behind Church on the depth chart should have him ready to go in this system. All indications are he'll soak it up quickly.

That’s interesting because most scouting reports I’ve seen on him were “he’s not very smart”  or some variant. I kind of find that hard to believe.

He's a real smart player. I would have said a lot of the coverage of him has aluded to that too.

(05-06-2018, 04:29 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 02:19 PM)knarnn Wrote: That’s interesting because most scouting reports I’ve seen on him were “he’s not very smart”  or some variant. I kind of find that hard to believe.

He's a real smart player. I would have said a lot of the coverage of him has aluded to that too.

I agree based on the cut ups I’ve seen. Just questioning where those reports came from.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(05-06-2018, 07:40 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 04:29 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's a real smart player. I would have said a lot of the coverage of him has aluded to that too.

I agree based on the cut ups I’ve seen. Just questioning where those reports came from.

I think they see a 6'3 SS and immediately go with the "thumper" role and imply that's all they can do.

I'm most intrigued with LB Darius Jackson. Not sure where he'd line up. The dude has the speed of Telvin, the motor of Fowler, and good hands like Yann. Appears to really thump when getting in the backfield.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I only have one thought. Kicking [BLEEP] and taking names.

On Gipson being the weak link of the secondary, in most other teams he's be considered as one of the stronger parts of theirs and is only it by virtue of just how good ours is.