Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why did our offense regress with the same coaches?

Quote:I suppose you didn't see the inaccuracy that was there all along, many Jump ball saves by the Allens. Frequently coming from way behind against soft defenses and BAD competition. The offense looked nothing like an inspiring well oiled machine. There was quite a bit said about this outside of jax.

The Allens caught passes on those jump balls. Why aren't they doing it this year? That is obviously regression, not falling back into a hidden reality.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We're missing the secret ingredient. Zane Beadles.

(j/k - but our O line is atrocious)
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:We're missing the secret ingredient. Zane Beadles.

It is not all on the o-line, though. There were many pass plays today where bb5 had tons of time to throw, and he still missed his target by a significant amount.

Quote:We're missing the secret ingredient. Zane Beadles.

We have the same five guys now that we did in London at the same positions. I was hoping that would be the beginning of improvement instead of clear evidence the Colts have a bad defensive line.

Quote:I don't get it. Our offense was great last season. Now it is looking bad despite the fact that Gus Bradley retained all of his offensive assistants. You would think it could only get better, not worse. We upgraded our personnel by adding Chris Ivory and Kelvin Beachum, got Brandon Linder back, and are finally seeing Marqise Lee do what he was drafted for on a regular basis. Julius Thomas only missed one game. We have been struggling to do exactly what made us so good last year on offense. What gives?
Because last season other teams weren't really covering that tightly on ARob... now, they are and we're struggling as a result. We didn't have much of a run game last year for the same reason we've not got much of one this year... our offensive line isn't very good at run blocking. Between not having much of a threat in the running game, and covering BB's favorite receiving target, here we are.

Quote:It is not all on the o-line, though. There were many pass plays today where bb5 had tons of time to throw, and he still missed his target by a significant amount.

There also were times when he had to run out of trouble and throw the ball away.

Quote:There also were times when he had to run out of trouble and throw the ball away.

Your deflection does nothing to disprove my argument.

Bb5 had several plays where the pocket was clean and he felt no pressure. Even with time and good pass protection, he was wilder than Rick Vaughn.

Quote:Your deflection does nothing to disprove my argument.

Bb5 had several plays where the pocket was clean and he felt no pressure. Even with time and good pass protection, he was wilder than Rick Vaughn.

Like the one where a Raider got in his face straight up and he threw the ball down?

Quote:It is not all on the o-line, though. There were many pass plays today where bb5 had tons of time to throw, and he still missed his target by a significant amount.

This O line got worse. Period. We had defensive players all over the backfield last year and this year it's been worse. We cannot run block. No holes. No moving guys backwards. We get stuffed up front and our RBs have nowhere to go (Yeldon has not shown me a damn thing in his time here that leads me to believe he is an NFL RB). Blake could be playing better, but we have a one dimensional offense and I think he is trying to carry the whole offense on his shoulders. He's gripping too tight for sure, but our OL and RB play has been a massive burden.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:OMG are you serious right now? Literally everyone has given an explanation.

Yes. I believe someone needs a nice cup of shut the piss up.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:This O line got worse. Period. We had defensive players all over the backfield last year and this year it's been worse. We cannot run block. No holes. No moving guys backwards. We get stuffed up front and our RBs have nowhere to go (Yeldon has not shown me a damn thing in his time here that leads me to believe he is an NFL RB). Blake could be playing better, but we have a one dimensional offense and I think he is trying to carry the whole offense on his shoulders. He's gripping too tight for sure, but our OL and RB play has been a massive burden.

Two OL were out against the Ravens. That skewed the position statistics, as well as Luke Joeckel's injury the next week. Now there are no excuses on the left side of the line.

We have film up now for other teams to study. That and we can't run the ball for crap. That part has been the biggest disappointment.

No pain, no gain.

Most teams went into the season keying in on the WR's basically daring Bortles to beat them with his arm and knowledge of reading defenses.

So far they have been proven right.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

I also don't think the coaching staff does a very good job in film study and preparation.  We try to "impose our will" instead of taking what the defense gives us.

Tom Brady takes what a defense will give him (even if it's 50 short passes) which in turn looks like their offense is imposing their will.

Quote:Prior to last season, Bortles took his job seriously and worked in the off season to improve his throwing motion and accuracy. After last season, he looked at how good he did and said, I am done, and took the off season off. He has regressed to old habits which I think he is not going to be able to fix permanently. He reminds me of Leftwich. Long wind up throwing motion and very inaccurate. Most of his throws are behind or above the receiver requiring them to stretch out in awkward positions to catch the ball, which can get them hurt. Bortles is not a natural thrower - he throws alot of ducks. Tight spirals are hard for him. He may make a good backup.  
Right on. I said it before, last year was good looking because AR was playing out of his mind. All those overthrows Blake makes on every series Robinson was snagging. Well other teams watch tape, they see our tendencies and realize Bortles cannot throw a spiral beyond 10 yards. He either drills a guy right in front of him, or over throws a deep receiver. He does have decent touch on outside routes. So all teams now jam up AR and Hurns and AR is no longer coming down with all those jump balls that inflated Blake's stats. Robinson may be gun shy about being stretched out and killed as well.  In truth Bortles always overthrew deep routes. So it's truly a combo of things, Blake sucks on accuracy, they took away his running legs, the coaches are making bad decisions and not getting the team ready to play, and the line is not opening any holes for Ivory or Yeldon. Fix all that!

Quote:The Allens caught passes on those jump balls. Why aren't they doing it this year? That is obviously regression, not falling back into a hidden reality.
Maybe this will help you with some outside perspective, which is 100% accurate and courtesy of ESPN this morning (mid-season grading of their preseason predictions).

Blake Bortles will not live up to the hype

Piling up touchdowns and yardage in less-meaningful situations allowed Bortles to produce inflated conventional stats last season. His 4,428 yards and 35 touchdowns supported a feel-good storyline: rising young QB lifts long-suffering franchise over the hump.  Bortles has piled up a league-high 40 percent of his career passing yards while trailing by at least 10 points. Those are tough situations for any quarterback, and some were of his own making. Bortles' 3.3 percent interception rate since entering the league ranks 32nd out of 33 quarterbacks with at least 500 pass attempts since then. The rate is 2.3 percent (25th) when his team is tied or leading.  The 42 coaches and evaluators polled for my annual QB Tiers project weren't entirely sold. Some questioned Bortles' mechanics. Several simply thought the Jaguars already would have enjoyed more team success if Bortles were playing as well as the stats suggested.  "Everybody wants to anoint him," one general manager said before the season. "I don't see it. He is 1-13 on the road. How's that for a stat?"  A closer look at advanced stats showed Bortles ranking 29th out of 29 qualifying quarterbacks in Total QBR over the second half of last season. He ranks 27th this season, ahead of only Brock Osweiler, Ryan Tannehill, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum.

Quote:You don't know what you saw and I don't care if you watch the games.

This team was at the bottom of the league in 1st half points.  They play from behind and the stats get inflated.

That about sums it up. Same thing this year.

Quote:This O line got worse. Period. We had defensive players all over the backfield last year and this year it's been worse. We cannot run block. No holes. No moving guys backwards. We get stuffed up front and our RBs have nowhere to go (Yeldon has not shown me a damn thing in his time here that leads me to believe he is an NFL RB). Blake could be playing better, but we have a one dimensional offense and I think he is trying to carry the whole offense on his shoulders. He's gripping too tight for sure, but our OL and RB play has been a massive burden.
I wonder how much of the OL performance is attributable to to Linder being at C.

To my knowledge, he had never played C prior to this year.  Though he is big and physical (and usually that bodes well for Cs and running games), that hasn't translated in lanes opening inside.

I wonder if in the transition to C, the OL is misidentifying fronts, etc.

I know I'm stretching here but it's bad.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Maybe this will help you with some outside perspective, which is 100% accurate and courtesy of ESPN this morning (mid-season grading of their preseason predictions).

Blake Bortles will not live up to the hype

Piling up touchdowns and yardage in less-meaningful situations allowed Bortles to produce inflated conventional stats last season. His 4,428 yards and 35 touchdowns supported a feel-good storyline: rising young QB lifts long-suffering franchise over the hump.  Bortles has piled up a league-high 40 percent of his career passing yards while trailing by at least 10 points. Those are tough situations for any quarterback, and some were of his own making. Bortles' 3.3 percent interception rate since entering the league ranks 32nd out of 33 quarterbacks with at least 500 pass attempts since then. The rate is 2.3 percent (25th) when his team is tied or leading.  The 42 coaches and evaluators polled for my annual QB Tiers project weren't entirely sold. Some questioned Bortles' mechanics. Several simply thought the Jaguars already would have enjoyed more team success if Bortles were playing as well as the stats suggested.  "Everybody wants to anoint him," one general manager said before the season. "I don't see it. He is 1-13 on the road. How's that for a stat?"  A closer look at advanced stats showed Bortles ranking 29th out of 29 qualifying quarterbacks in Total QBR over the second half of last season. He ranks 27th this season, ahead of only Brock Osweiler, Ryan Tannehill, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum.

God that's really depressing. 

Really says it all right there. 

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 10:57 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

Throwing to the corner of the endzone to Lee with 3 dbs surrounding him is beyond regressing. Just plain stupid. Must think Lee is Dwight Howard in his prime going to go up there and snatch the ball 12 feet in the air.