Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL Network AFCCG on now

(05-06-2018, 07:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 04:33 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I don't fault the plan because the same plan was working just fine the first half.

I see a lot of this being about Fournette. When you watch him on tape even back in HS an especially in college, you see a guy that breaks games open, and watching him that first half it looked like he was about to do as much. The game plan to keep running the ball should have worked great, but somehow the Pats adjusted and clamped down on the Jaguars ability to create holes for Fournette. Instead of breaking the game open, Fournette was shut down. Were they too persistent? Should they have changed up sooner? It's easy to say as much in retrospect. Certainly to give themselves a chance to win they needed to recognize what the Pats were doing the second half way earlier, but that recognition never happened.

The hope is this year that presented with the same situation, having Linder and Norwell playing side-by-side will make the difference preventing the Patiots run game adjustments from working. 

But they changed the plan. 
It was not the same plan in the second half. 
They all but abandoned that 3 wide set with Grant and Fournette both in the backfield (or Grant lined up in the slot when they were in bunch formation -  that was nifty)
THAT ^ plan was working and working well. The Pats didn't adjust to it. The Jags quit running it. 

They went to a more predictable and less multiple run look with LF27 the primary option to key on -  and that's when the pats began stopping the run.  Fournette had a run for 7 yards and a run for 14 yards in the second half. His other 7 touches in the second half produced a grand total of 5 yards. That shift to a more predictable/conservative run game by the offense was a mistake in my opinion. It gave the pats fewer weapons to defend and they defended them well.

Without quoting all of the responses to my prior post - yes - I am aware of the officiating stuff. Of course it prevented a win as well. 

I am simply asserting that the Jags may have even overcome that had the offensive play-calling not shifted as it did - (and of course -  had the defense not whiffed on that 3rd and long.)

ANyway - as I mentioned earlier -  I think the consortium at the top will recognize this and implement some change regarding predictability in the run game.  That is my hope anyway.  

It would be wonderful to run the ball down every opponents throat at will, but some teams will be effective defending that approach and the Jags will need to keep other avenues open IMO. 

There are a number of things that could have changed the outcome of that game, this run game shift in the second half is just the one that bugs me the most. Because they could have achieved victory in spite of everything else that went wrong had they stayed aggressive and unpredictable with the run game.

Yup, the 1st half and 2nd half game plans on Offense were nothing alike. Hell, I don't even think they put Grant on the field in the 2nd half and the Pats had no answer for him in the 1st half. Even if they had no intention on giving Grant the ball in the 2nd half, you got to at least put him out there as a possible threat/distraction. Because you know he had to have been in the Pats' heads at that point, even if it was just a little bit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-06-2018, 04:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yep you don't deserve to win if you give up a 3rd and 18 late in the game.

This picture was on that 3rd and 18... Tell me what you see in this pic.. because I know what I see and it's pretty obvious. It was a clear theme through out the entire game.

[Image: DUP13n2W0AAEX8e.jpg]

(05-06-2018, 09:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 04:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yep you don't deserve to win if you give up a 3rd and 18 late in the game.

This picture was on that 3rd and 18... Tell me what you see in this pic.. because I know what I see and it's pretty obvious. It was a clear theme through out the entire game.

Yeah. The holding non-calls were a theme all season long. It was egregious.

Why are we all reliving this? You're all gluttons for punishment.

(05-06-2018, 09:53 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Why are we all reliving this? You're all gluttons for punishment.

I'm well past the upset stage, I got over that pretty quickly. 

I rewatched the game just a couple weeks after it happened and yea the reffing was awful and we let it get away from us in that late 2nd half. 

However, the biggest thing I took away from that game (after rewatching it with a level head) was that we were without a doubt the better football team.

(05-06-2018, 09:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 07:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: But they changed the plan. 
It was not the same plan in the second half. 
They all but abandoned that 3 wide set with Grant and Fournette both in the backfield (or Grant lined up in the slot when they were in bunch formation -  that was nifty)
THAT ^ plan was working and working well. The Pats didn't adjust to it. The Jags quit running it. 

They went to a more predictable and less multiple run look with LF27 the primary option to key on -  and that's when the pats began stopping the run.  Fournette had a run for 7 yards and a run for 14 yards in the second half. His other 7 touches in the second half produced a grand total of 5 yards. That shift to a more predictable/conservative run game by the offense was a mistake in my opinion. It gave the pats fewer weapons to defend and they defended them well.

Without quoting all of the responses to my prior post - yes - I am aware of the officiating stuff. Of course it prevented a win as well. 

I am simply asserting that the Jags may have even overcome that had the offensive play-calling not shifted as it did - (and of course -  had the defense not whiffed on that 3rd and long.)

ANyway - as I mentioned earlier -  I think the consortium at the top will recognize this and implement some change regarding predictability in the run game.  That is my hope anyway.  

It would be wonderful to run the ball down every opponents throat at will, but some teams will be effective defending that approach and the Jags will need to keep other avenues open IMO. 

There are a number of things that could have changed the outcome of that game, this run game shift in the second half is just the one that bugs me the most. Because they could have achieved victory in spite of everything else that went wrong had they stayed aggressive and unpredictable with the run game.

Yup, the 1st half and 2nd half game plans on Offense were nothing alike. Hell, I don't even think they put Grant on the field in the 2nd half and the Pats had no answer for him in the 1st half. Even if they had no intention on giving Grant the ball in the 2nd half, you got to at least put him out there as a possible threat/distraction. Because you know he had to have been in the Pats' heads at that point, even if it was just a little bit.

By "alike" I just meant that they ran the ball effectively in the first half, and opted to stick with the run in the second half. All this stuff about Grant, etc, is getting far more technical.

'02

(05-06-2018, 09:53 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Why are we all reliving this? You're all gluttons for punishment.

<<< I'm a Jaguar fan...

I still haven't watched it. The old guy at Mandarin Liquors told me it was on earlier today and how painful it was to watch again. It's on my DVR, I was there. Don't know when I'll be able to watch it.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(05-06-2018, 07:00 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 12:20 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: Quite possibly never will be. That one was ours.

It was an amazing season but i hope we aren't looking back in the next 5 years going "THAT was our moment but we blew it". Happens to so many teams.

That was our monent. That is the closest to a Super Bowl that we have ever been. If Jacks TD doesn't get blown dead, then we would habe made it.

And I think we would habe crushed the Eagles.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018, 06:07 AM by BadMojoDaddy.)

I noticed it on the live play during the game. Fowler was held and Dareus was tackled.. No call is [BLEEP]

A hold on Fowler, and we still should have stopped them. 

The game was there to win independent of the refs. Did they make it a bit harder? Sure but we got away with calls too. We lost the game because of bad coaching , not because of the refs.

We were the vanilla Jaguars in the last quarter. One thing that still irks me is the look of utter submission on Marrone’s face with about 5 minutes left in the game. Bad coach! Bad!

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018, 08:06 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(05-06-2018, 03:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 03:12 PM)iapetus Wrote: Let's be clear here; the team's strategy in the second half did work. Any time you don't have a defensive touchdown stolen from you, or you get the occasional penalty called in your favour, or the opposition isn't handed TDs by pass interference, that wins you the game.

You think so? 

I'd think that starting the third quarter up 7 points against the best QB to play the game in recent memory, you may want to do better on offense than FG, punt, FG, punt, punt, punt, turnover on downs. 

I see that as a failure. That's asking too much of your defense against that particular team IMO.

The game has been replaying for about 2 weeks now, so i'll let you guys have fun with it.  Brady will never be the best QB to play the game to me though, too many asterisks in my book.  That is all.

(05-07-2018, 06:50 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 09:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote: This picture was on that 3rd and 18... Tell me what you see in this pic.. because I know what I see and it's pretty obvious. It was a clear theme through out the entire game.

A hold on Fowler, and we still should have stopped them. 

The game was there to win independent of the refs. Did they make it a bit harder? Sure but we got away with calls too. We lost the game because of bad coaching , not because of the refs.

Football is a game of inches.  Its ok to accept the L because it will never change, but dont blame the coaches or the players.  The refs screwed us and that is the only reason we lost.  i dont care what happened outside of that, but blown calls ruin a game...even 1.

Tell yourself whatever you like, i just disagree whole-heartedly.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Can’t watch it. Why would I self inflict such torture? I’m on to 2018

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018, 08:18 AM by JackCity.)

(05-07-2018, 08:02 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 06:50 AM)JackCity Wrote: A hold on Fowler, and we still should have stopped them. 

Football is a game of inches.  Its ok to accept the L because it will never change, but dont blame the coaches or the players.  The refs screwed us and that is the only reason we lost.  i dont care what happened outside of that, but blown calls ruin a game...even 1.  

You think this coaching staff and team just went "Ok the only we reason we lost that game was because the refs screwed us, everything we did was good enough"? Of course not. 

The coaches bottled it in the 2nd half and you can't do that against most playoff teams but especially not the Patriots. 

Those kinds of losses hurt more. We beat ourselves when we had a historic win and superbowl berth away from us.

We've been though this several times already though. Although they played a role (like most games) refs didn't decide who won or lost that game. We just didn't execute well enough

(05-07-2018, 08:16 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 08:02 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

You think this coaching staff and team just went "Ok the only we reason we lost that game was because the refs screwed us, everything we did was good enough"? Of course not. 

The coaches bottled it in the 2nd half and you can't do that against most playoff teams but especially not the Patriots. 

Those kinds of losses hurt more. We beat ourselves when we had a historic win and superbowl berth away from us.

We've been though this several times already though. Although they played a role (like most games) refs didn't decide who won or lost that game. We just didn't execute well enough

I had to re-read my post because i know i didnt say that.  The coaches and players can always do more in every game they play, but saying the refs blatanly blowing calls should be overlooked because we still should've/could've won is ludicrous.  Cool beans though, at least i know who thinks officiating is pointless basically.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(05-07-2018, 09:08 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 08:16 AM)JackCity Wrote: You think this coaching staff and team just went "Ok the only we reason we lost that game was because the refs screwed us, everything we did was good enough"? Of course not. 

I had to re-read my post because i know i didnt say that.  The coaches and players can always do more in every game they play, but saying the refs blatanly blowing calls should be overlooked because we still should've/could've won is ludicrous.  Cool beans though, at least i know who thinks officiating is pointless basically.

Quote : "The refs screwed us and that is the only reason we lost. "  

The reality is we could have won despite the refs. We didn't do it due to poor execution. 

That's what matters to me. Not crying about calls.

(05-07-2018, 12:58 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 09:08 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I had to re-read my post because i know i didnt say that.  The coaches and players can always do more in every game they play, but saying the refs blatanly blowing calls should be overlooked because we still should've/could've won is ludicrous.  Cool beans though, at least i know who thinks officiating is pointless basically.

Quote : "The refs screwed us and that is the only reason we lost. "  

The reality is we could have won despite the refs. We didn't do it due to poor execution. 

WE weren't out there. The team we support was.

WE couldn't affect anything.

The Refs, who are out there, affected every single play.

So WE will do the only thing we can do... complain about how the awful officiating caused us to miss out on the Superbowl.

(05-07-2018, 01:42 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 12:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: Quote : "The refs screwed us and that is the only reason we lost. "  

So WE will do the only thing we can do... complain about how the awful officiating caused us to miss out on the Superbowl.

Are you sure?

Maybe I'm secretly Tommy Bohannon
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-07-2018, 01:42 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 12:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: Quote : "The refs screwed us and that is the only reason we lost. "  

I never get why people think this is a burn. 

It's patently obvious "we" is referring to the collective you are a part of meaning the Jaguars fanbase and ergo it's team. It's pretty commonly used too.

(05-07-2018, 03:25 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 01:42 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: WE weren't out there. The team we support was.

I never get why people think this is a burn. 

It's patently obvious "we" is referring to the collective you are a part of meaning the Jaguars fanbase and ergo it's team. It's pretty commonly used too.

It's not a burn. I say we all the time too.

I'm just saying, we, the fans, weren't on the field... therefore, why begrudge other fans for complaining about the god awful officiating.