Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Bill O'Brien: No price too high to get franchise QB

Bill O'Brien: No price too high to get franchise QB

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...anchise-qb

Joining NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Monday, Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien noted no price is too high to get the QB position right.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Reid said the same thing essentially when talking about trading up for Mahomes.

"If you keep talking about the high cost of getting the guy you want too long, pretty soon you end up not having a quarterback."

They are worth their weight in gold and if you make the wrong decision it sets your team back years

It's always easier to spend other people's money...Personally I don't think any of them should make the kind of money they do, but they bring in a [BLEEP] pot full of money, therefore they should be paid well too, but how much is TOO much?

Well I'm glad he said this...it only took him 4 years to figure it out after signing every backup known to man and after trying to turn everyone of Brady's backups into Brady. It's just a testament to how special Hopkins is..the guy has been a elite WR with a worse revolving door/QB situation than the freaking Cleveland Browns...Hell we even signed their castoffs and made them starters, that's the crap Hopkins has had to work with.

So thanks Bill O'Brien for finally waking the hell up and stating the obvious.

(05-14-2018, 12:56 PM)wrong_box Wrote: It's always easier to spend other people's money...Personally I don't think any of them should make the kind of money they do, but they bring in a [BLEEP] pot full of money, therefore they should be paid well too, but how much is TOO much?

It's too much when you can't field a decent team around him.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-14-2018, 02:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 12:56 PM)wrong_box Wrote: It's always easier to spend other people's money...Personally I don't think any of them should make the kind of money they do, but they bring in a [BLEEP] pot full of money, therefore they should be paid well too, but how much is TOO much?

It's too much when you can't field a decent team around him.

If you find the right guy it's easier to build a team around him and he'll keep your team in contention for a decade+ with crap around them. Like I said earlier...franchise QBs are worth their weight in gold in this league.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 02:49 AM by wrong_box.)

(05-14-2018, 02:12 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 02:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's too much when you can't field a decent team around him.

If you find the right guy it's easier to build a team around him and he'll keep your team in contention for a decade+ with crap around them. Like I said earlier...franchise QBs are worth their weight in gold in this league.

so paying one $200 MM with $150 MM guaranteed is ok? at some point the market has to top out...Once you start paying hundreds of millions of dollars for franchise QBs the rest of the players salaries will explode as well, then what, a salary cap of $5 BN?

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 03:27 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

(05-15-2018, 02:45 AM)wrong_box Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 02:12 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: If you find the right guy it's easier to build a team around him and he'll keep your team in contention for a decade+ with crap around them. Like I said earlier...franchise QBs are worth their weight in gold in this league.

so paying one $200 MM with $150 MM guaranteed is ok? at some point the market has to top out...Once you start paying hundreds of millions of dollars for franchise QBs the rest of the players salaries will explode as well, then what, a salary cap of $5 BN?

Market and revenue dictates the salary and nobody makes that money now.

If the market and revenue don't hold up then the contracts will readjust accordingly.. there once was a time top picks in the draft were getting 76 million dollar contracts before they ever played a down in the league..it wasn't sustainable so the league forced the players union to renegotiate..same thing will happen again if the current contracts become a problem.

The salary cap doesn't change the fact that you need a franchise QB to have the best chance to win in this league consistently year in and year out. Yes they're exceptions to every rule, but you don't consistently stand a chance in hell without one.

(05-15-2018, 03:25 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 02:45 AM)wrong_box Wrote: so paying one $200 MM with $150 MM guaranteed is ok? at some point the market has to top out...Once you start paying hundreds of millions of dollars for franchise QBs the rest of the players salaries will explode as well, then what, a salary cap of $5 BN?

Market and revenue dictates the salary and nobody makes that money now.

If the market and revenue don't hold up then the contracts will readjust accordingly.. there once was a time top picks in the draft were getting 76 million dollar contracts before they ever played a down in the league..it wasn't sustainable so the league forced the players union to renegotiate..same thing will happen again if the current contracts become a problem.

The salary cap doesn't change the fact that you need a franchise QB to have the best chance to win in this league consistently year in and year out. Yes they're exceptions to every rule, but you don't consistently stand a chance in hell without one.

I keep seeing this mentioned (not just by you), but there has only been one team that has had a QB that has a team in...or contending for...a Super Bowl pretty much every year.  And isn't that what this is all about, winning a championship?  There are plenty of 'franchise quarterbacks', but Brady's don't grow on trees.  And he's the only one that's at least been knocking on the door of the championship every year.  I guess you could loosely throw Roethlisberger in there...but he hasn't been in 8 years.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-14-2018, 10:56 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: They are worth their weight in gold and if you make the wrong decision it sets your team back years

That's why you have to be rational when you're searching for one.

You don't draft Brady in the first round.  You draft him in the sixth round, where the risk meets value.  No QB comes with a warranty.

Desperate moves kill franchises.

O'brien him self knows... his GM signed Osweiller without even bringing him in for a visit.

You can spike your franchise when you make desperation moves.  The pressure is always there to find a QB, and the franchise suffers if that pressure negatively affects decision making.  That's true of pressure in all aspects of life and life decisions as well.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 12:57 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

(05-15-2018, 11:04 AM)pirkster Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 10:56 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: They are worth their weight in gold and if you make the wrong decision it sets your team back years

That's why you have to be rational when you're searching for one.

You don't draft Brady in the first round.  You draft him in the sixth round, where the risk meets value.  No QB comes with a warranty.

O'brien him self knows... his GM signed Osweiller without even bringing him in for a visit.

You can spike your franchise when you make desperation moves.  The pressure is always there to find a QB, and the franchise suffers if that pressure negatively affects decision making.  That's true of pressure in all aspects of life and life decisions as well.

Brady would've been a first overall pick in a do over..your're talking about a exception to the rule.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 12:59 PM by wrong_box.)

(05-15-2018, 08:32 AM)Rico Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 03:25 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Market and revenue dictates the salary and nobody makes that money now.

I keep seeing this mentioned (not just by you), but there has only been one team that has had a QB that has a team in...or contending for...a Super Bowl pretty much every year.  And isn't that what this is all about, winning a championship?  There are plenty of 'franchise quarterbacks', but Brady's don't grow on trees.  And he's the only one that's at least been knocking on the door of the championship every year.  I guess you could loosely throw Roethlisberger in there...but he hasn't been in 8 years.
well the scenario is fast approaching $100mm with the $84mm Cousins got and I wouldn't put him in the same boat as Brady, Big Ben, Rogers, and some others that are good but not great

(05-15-2018, 08:32 AM)Rico Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 03:25 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Market and revenue dictates the salary and nobody makes that money now.

All the teams with top QBs usually are in the playoffs every year, so no..it's not just Brady.

(05-15-2018, 12:58 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 08:32 AM)Rico Wrote: I keep seeing this mentioned (not just by you), but there has only been one team that has had a QB that has a team in...or contending for...a Super Bowl pretty much every year.  And isn't that what this is all about, winning a championship?  There are plenty of 'franchise quarterbacks', but Brady's don't grow on trees.  And he's the only one that's at least been knocking on the door of the championship every year.  I guess you could loosely throw Roethlisberger in there...but he hasn't been in 8 years.

All the teams with top QBs usually are in the playoffs every year, so no..it's not just Brady.

So being IN the playoffs is what you're shooting for?  And I thought winning it all was the objective.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

And they still haven't found one.

(05-15-2018, 12:46 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 11:04 AM)pirkster Wrote: That's why you have to be rational when you're searching for one.

Brady would've been a first overall pick in a do over..your're talking about a exception to the rule.

"Do-overs" and hindsight are fool's errands.

You never make a desperate move for a QB.  Never.  Again, you measure risk and reward and do not pay a penny more.  Draft, develop, repeat.  Great QBs are drafted and developed, they aren't created by Free Agency spending.

Desperation is how franchises implode - desperation that leads to poor decisions.

And again... same goes for life decisions.  Stacking poor decisions on poor decisions results in perpetual suffering.  Good decisions made consistently result in long term success.  Some can't wait long enough for success to gain momentum, so they cut themselves off at the knees and never succeed.  They chase short term "gains" that end up setting themselves back in the long run.

I don't know if you were around here (or there, if you consider the board has since moved from the jaguars site,) but there were several posters here who wanted us to take Geno Smith with our first rounder.  So... no, O'brien.  You CAN pay too high a price for a "franchise" QB.

It's not about the cost, it's about the quality of decision making.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 03:24 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

(05-15-2018, 01:41 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 12:46 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Brady would've been a first overall pick in a do over..your're talking about a exception to the rule.

"Do-overs" and hindsight are fool's errands.

You never make a desperate move for a QB.  Never.  Again, you measure risk and reward and do not pay a penny more.  Draft, develop, repeat.  Great QBs are drafted and developed, they aren't created by Free Agency spending.

Desperation is how franchises implode - desperation that leads to poor decisions.

And again... same goes for life decisions.  Stacking poor decisions on poor decisions results in perpetual suffering.  Good decisions made consistently result in long term success.  Some can't wait long enough for success to gain momentum, so they cut themselves off at the knees and never succeed.  They chase short term "gains" that end up setting themselves back in the long run.

I don't know if you were around here (or there, if you consider the board has since moved from the jaguars site,) but there were several posters here who wanted us to take Geno Smith with our first rounder.  So... no, O'brien.  You CAN pay too high a price for a "franchise" QB.

It's not about the cost, it's about the quality of decision making.

First of all I've been posting on this board since I was 20 (I'm 36 now) You can say I "Bombed" out., but yeah I remember that.. also remember people on this site clambering for Teddy Bridgewater.

If you don't have a franchise QB then more often than not you don't have a shot in Hades at winning a title. This division will always be open simply because the Jags don't..it was closed for a decade when the Colts had one (Peyton )..see the difference? See the importance?

Yes you can win alot of games with a great defense, but that only gets you so far...i've personally seen that movie too. Without that guy behind center your chances of consistently ccompeting are slim. Division is wide open and why do you think divisional opponents feel this way? Bortles..I hate to say it.

Whatever we eventually had to pay for Watson, it was worth it. Sorry but it was. Franchise QBs make a difference.

(05-15-2018, 03:21 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 01:41 PM)pirkster Wrote: "Do-overs" and hindsight are fool's errands.
Whatever we eventually had to pay for Watson, it was worth it. Sorry but it was. Franchise QBs make a difference.

Is the general consensus among tinhorn fans that "Watson is a franchise QB" after 5 games?

Watson's little baby noodle arm is going to get exposed this season.