Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Bill O'Brien: No price too high to get franchise QB

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 03:52 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

(05-15-2018, 03:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 03:21 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: ...
Whatever we eventually had to pay for Watson, it was worth it. Sorry but it was. Franchise QBs make a difference.

Is the general consensus among tinhorn fans that "Watson is a franchise QB" after 5 games?

Lol, He's better than Bortles, care to explain that fiasco*

The difference between having a franchise QB and none.

(05-15-2018, 01:05 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 12:58 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: All the teams with top QBs usually are in the playoffs every year, so no..it's not just Brady.

So being IN the playoffs is what you're shooting for?  And I thought winning it all was the objective.

You have to be in the dance before you can take home the prom queen. You have to make the dance before you can contend for a title.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-15-2018, 01:24 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: And they still haven't found one.

But yet we have..

Look at his passes. He was on pace to smash all rookie records and is a hell of a passer, look at the ball placement. He only had the best offense in the entire league

(05-15-2018, 04:08 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 01:24 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: And they still haven't found one.

But yet we have..

Look at his passes. He was on pace to smash all rookie records and is a hell of a passer, look at the ball placement. He only had the best offense in the entire league
It is easy to smash records in garbage time. Just ask Blake. He broke all our records due to garbage time.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 04:36 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

(05-15-2018, 03:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Watson's little baby noodle arm is going to get exposed this season.

Like it did last season when as a rookie lead the top offense in the entire league and was on pace to smash every rookie record.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-YoQNo1ihFY

Noodle arm...lol..ok

I am no Watson hater. I was pissed when the Texans drafted him.

(05-15-2018, 04:20 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 04:08 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: But yet we have..

It is easy to smash records in garbage time. Just ask Blake. He broke all our records due to garbage time.

What record was Bortles about to break? A interception record? And what fabricated garbage time are you speaking of? Please share.

I think it's wise to slow the roll on the Watson rhetoric until we see how he returns from injury and how well O'Brien installs his new offense.

Yep, he was special his first year before he was injured (which yes, was surprising given even his biggest fans expected him to have his work cut out transitioning to the NFL.)

So was Vince Young until teams got tape on him. And Kaepernick, and Griffin, and other dual threat QBs early in their careers.

One thing in his favor is that the Texans are retooling the offense so the old tape may not reveal much. That is, if the transition to the new offense is a smooth one.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 05:04 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

(05-15-2018, 04:39 PM)pirkster Wrote: I think it's wise to slow the roll on the Watson rhetoric until we see how he returns from injury and how well O'Brien installs his new offense.

Yep, he was special his first year before he was injured (which yes, was surprising given even his biggest fans expected him to have his work cut out transitioning to the NFL.)

So was Vince Young until teams got tape on him.  And Kaepernick, and Griffin, and other dual threat QBs early in their careers.

One thing in his favor is that the Texans are retooling the offense so the old tape may not reveal much.  That is, if the transition to the new offense is a smooth one.

The biggest thing Watson has over the other players mentioned is his ability to actually pass the ball.. he's not Young, Kaepernick, or Griffin..he can actually pass the football, bit he's black so he'll be compared to other black athletes even though he killed it passing the ball..nothing  you, that's just the tiresome narrative. Why can't he be Steve Young..sure as hell plays like him, but wrong and color

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 05:28 PM by pirkster.)

I've watched the great QBs carve up my college team over the years.

Favre
Manning
Rodgers

Watson was certainly not the factor those QBs were against us, and it was apparent.

The great Brett Hundley tore us up and gave us much bigger fits than Watson did, and it wasn't close.

So, it's probably best we watch how this all works itself out before we consider QB "fixed" for the Texans.  Watson had a lot to fix coming into the NFL.  In addition to that, he'll have an injury recovery and a new playbook to start the season.

(05-15-2018, 04:49 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 04:39 PM)pirkster Wrote: I think it's wise to slow the roll on the Watson rhetoric until we see how he returns from injury and how well O'Brien installs his new offense.

So was Vince Young until teams got tape on him.  And Kaepernick, and Griffin, and other dual threat QBs early in their careers.

One thing in his favor is that the Texans are retooling the offense so the old tape may not reveal much.  That is, if the transition to the new offense is a smooth one.

The biggest thing Watson has over the other players mentioned is his ability to actually pass the ball.. he's not Young, Kaepernick, or Griffin..he can actually pass the football, bit he's black so he'll be compared to other black athletes even though he killed it passing the ball..nothing  you, that's just the tiresome narrative. Why can't he be Steve Young..sure as hell plays like him, but wrong and color

I'll give you that.  He had the interceptions in his final season of college as Young did early in the NFL.

But, his arm is nothing like Steve Young's.  Not close.  Not nearly as strong or accurate.  That doesn't even get into decision making, where he's a long way off the mark from Young as well.

The mistakes and poor throws his final season of college are not acceptable, and likely to haunt him in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGP_uJfqzL0

As an aside... I got heat from Tampa fans for saying similar things about Josh Freeman. Two completely different styles of play, but my reasoning was exactly the same. I had doubts about how good he truly was.

Freeman had an outstanding rookie season (I'm commenting on his first full season as a starter in 2010.) But what concerned me most was that he had only a single win against a .500 or better team - the division rival Saints.

He, like the others I mentioned, fared much worse after his breakout season after teams had tape on him.

I thought Griffin was going to revolutionize the game and pick up where Vick had begun. As good as he was his rookie season, I never felt Watson was as dangerous or dynamic as Griffin was before his injury. So, my point here is fortunes and perceptions can change very quickly in the span of a year. Or an injury.

He was one of the best college QBs ever and was on pace for one of the best rookies seasons ever before injury.

He's just flat out a very good QB, even if we still need to see more of him.

The critiques over his arm was one of the funniest subplots during that draft seaso. Also the "can't read a playbook" stuff.

He was not. even. close. to being one of the best college QBs ever.

Dear god, do you even care about credibility?

That's just asinine.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 07:11 PM by JackCity.)

(05-15-2018, 06:38 PM)pirkster Wrote: He was not. even. close. to being one of the best college QBs ever.

That's just asinine.

His career, production and accolades beg to differ.  
And that's not a comment on him as a prospect. Just purely as a college QB. 

Who would be on your list of best college QBs ever? Particularly over the last 20 years.

You questioning credibility is a big big positive to me.

(05-15-2018, 03:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Watson's little baby noodle arm is going to get exposed this season.

I agree...
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(05-15-2018, 07:08 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 06:38 PM)pirkster Wrote: He was not. even. close. to being one of the best college QBs ever.

That's just asinine.

His career, production and accolades beg to differ.  

Who would be on your list of best college QBs ever? Particularly over the last 20 years.

History begs to differ.

There are easily dozens upon dozens of QBs with better college careers.

It's as if you first began watching college football in 2016, and never watched a game outside Clemson.

Something the wise learn with experience, is that you don't double down when you're off the mark.  You take it as an opportunity to learn and grow, and do not waste that opportunity.

(05-15-2018, 03:48 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 03:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Is the general consensus among tinhorn fans that "Watson is a franchise QB" after 5 games?

Lol, He's better than Bortles, care to explain that fiasco*

The difference between having a franchise QB and none.

I'll address the Bortles situation with clarity if you'll answer my question. 

I'm genuinely curious if after five games and a knee injury the majority of fans are considering Watson a franchise QB or feel strong probability he will be?

(05-16-2018, 08:51 AM)pirkster Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 07:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: His career, production and accolades beg to differ.  

History begs to differ.

There are easily dozens upon dozens of QBs with better college careers.

It's as if you first began watching college football in 2016, and never watched a game outside Clemson.

Something the wise learn with experience, is that you don't double down when you're off the mark.  You take it as an opportunity to learn and grow, and do not waste that opportunity.

"Something the wise learn with experience, is that you don't double down when you're off the mark.  You take it as an opportunity to learn and grow, and do not waste that opportunity" 

Let's talk about it like adults then. Have a feeling this will end up like the thread where you thought most LBs still play at 260+ 

Who are your best college QBs over the last 20 years? And what criteria do you use to determine them.  I'm intrigued to hear about the dozens and dozens of QBs too, I think you'll find his resume stacks up and beats a lot of them. 

-Watson went back to back to national championships. Played Bama both times and played great , won 1 of them. 

- Won the Manning award given to countries best QB twice (only played to ever be awarded it twice) 

- Won the Davey O' Brien award twice. Given to the best college QB since 1981. One of only 4 players to achieve that.  

- Finished in the top 5 for Heisman votes 2 years in a row.

- Historic amount of production for a QB. (Only played to ever throw for 4,000 yards and run for 1,000. )

- Regularly played one of the toughest schedules in the country. 

- Historic post season performance ( Multiple MVPs, broke the record for most yards in a national championship, did it against the #1 defense.)

- All round showed a high level of play on he field and leadership during his time at Clemson.  

So yeah, please tell me the dozens and dozens of QBs who stack up with that. I'll be here waiting for ya.

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways."

This is illustrative of your "perspective," or lack thereof.

A short list of QBs who had better college careers:
Tebow
Luck
Leinart
Newton
Jameis Winston
Wuerffel
Vick
Keenum
Kellen Moore
RGIII
Vince Young
Colt Brennan
Drew Brees
Johnny Manziel
AJ McCarron
Mariota
Sam Bradford
Troy Smith
Chris Weinke
Gino Torreta
Vinny Testaverde
Eric Crouch
Jason White
Charlie Ward
Tommy Frazier
David Klingler
Ty Detmer
Andre Ware
Jim McMahon
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Steve Young
Roger Staubach
And one name you do seem to have heard of, Davey O'Brien.

And argument could be made for many more.

College football has a rich history. There's a lot to learn for those not well versed in it. Without historical perspective, poor judgments are made such as yours.

(05-14-2018, 09:58 AM)Tinhorn Wrote: Bill O'Brien: No price too high to get franchise QB

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...anchise-qb

Joining NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Monday, Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien noted no price is too high to get the QB position right.

I agree 1000 percent. But you better be right.

(05-15-2018, 04:39 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 04:20 PM)Dimson Wrote: It is easy to smash records in garbage time. Just ask Blake. He broke all our records due to garbage time.

What record was Bortles about to break? A interception record? And what fabricated garbage time are you speaking of? Please share.

Bortles broke the record for TDs and Passing yards in a season for the Jags while playing in garbage time most of the season. His stats were meaningless.