Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
National Anthem Part II - 2018 Season

Article Title -> "NFL owners set to gather, and a national anthem policy is atop their to-do list"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spor...e3ca0c736c

This is my current position (and response that I recently provided):
As a long time season ticket holder that supported the players last season, I believe the message has been sent and we can continue to work toward social justice in many other ways. That said, I will firmly oppose any actions taken by the NFL players this season that may detract from the players and fans giving the National Anthem our 100% undivided attention.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Forced Patriotism is not Patriotism
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-23-2018, 12:23 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Forced Patriotism is not Patriotism

But forced protocol is still protocol.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2018, 12:45 PM by Caldrac.)

I don't think it should be enforced on the players. If you really want to avoid the media circus and controversy just keep them in the locker room and let the fans and true Patriots on the field have their moment in the sun without any distractions. That's the way it used to be to begin with. The Media will run it's mouth about it for a few weeks or months and then it'll die off.

At least the media and local news outlets won't have a weekly "Who took a knee?" segment anymore to keep that fire alive and kicking. It's a win-win in my opinion.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

How about this? Leave the national anthem out of sports. Politics and sports do not mix. That's been shown again and again and again. The NFL made it 60+ years without playing any patriotic music at the beginning of games, so why bother with something that a few extremist groups and an extremist administration have made into a lightning rod? Leave the national anthem to the 42 drivers and 16 collective teeth of NASCAR.

Does NASCAR still exist? They've been racing laps around the toilet for a long time now.

No matter what stance the NFL took on this they were going to receive a backlash. The owners are doing what they think is best for the league, alienates as few viewers as possible, and all with giving the players that want to protest to stay in the locker. A player staying in the locker room is no different than taking a knee during the anthem. You are choosing not to honor the flag...you got what you wanted.

I see the NFLPA is upset they didn't have a say in the matter. Maybe that's because last time they let them in on a discussion they decided to tape it and release it to the public. When you break a trust, why should they let you have it again?

And with the 49ers abstaining to vote (and refusing to commit to following the new rule) and the Jets owner already saying that he will not allow his players to punished for protesting, not to mention the NFLPA standing by waiting to gut it because it violates the CBA that the owners wrote, this policy might be very short-lived in practice even if it remains on paper for a long time.

(05-23-2018, 12:44 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I don't think it should be enforced on the players. If you really want to avoid the media circus and controversy just keep them in the locker room and let the fans and true Patriots on the field have their moment in the sun without any distractions. That's the way it used to be to begin with. The Media will run it's mouth about it for a few weeks or months and then it'll die off.

At least the media and local news outlets won't have a weekly "Who took a knee?" segment anymore to keep that fire alive and kicking. It's a win-win in my opinion.

This is exactly what the Owners ended up deciding.  Are you bugging the owners meetings?

(05-23-2018, 12:51 PM)TJBender Wrote: How about this? Leave the national anthem out of sports. Politics and sports do not mix. That's been shown again and again and again. The NFL made it 60+ years without playing any patriotic music at the beginning of games, so why bother with something that a few extremist groups and an extremist administration have made into a lightning rod? Leave the national anthem to the 42 drivers and 16 collective teeth of NASCAR.

Does NASCAR still exist? They've been racing laps around the toilet for a long time now.

Agreed, the fact that the national anthem is even played outside of an international game is goofy to begin with.  Then again I guess it gives the fans at the stadium a cue as to how much time they have left to empty their bladders or to get their nachos.

(05-23-2018, 03:05 PM)TJBender Wrote: And with the 49ers abstaining to vote (and refusing to commit to following the new rule) and the Jets owner already saying that he will not allow his players to punished for protesting, not to mention the NFLPA standing by waiting to gut it because it violates the CBA that the owners wrote, this policy might be very short-lived in practice even if it remains on paper for a long time.

Everything I've seen shows that this has nothing to do with the CBA.

At what point are owners allowed to product if they think the protests can hurt their business?  When does a boss of a Fortune 500 company ask their employees on a direction of a company or rules that are put in place to keep things moving in the right direction?  I think people have a flawed view of the NFL as not a business in that sense because you root for that team.  It's hard to put fandom and business practice aside.

(05-23-2018, 01:22 PM)UCF Knight Wrote:  You are choosing not to honor the flag...you got what you wanted.

Your virtue signals don't broadcast through the concrete walls of the locker room.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The NFL as a business is within their legal right to protect their interests. Players are free to exercise their rights when it does not interfere with “business “. They are also free to exercise employment elsewhere. This is more to do with distractions and business practices than the Anthem specifically.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(05-23-2018, 12:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 12:23 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Forced Patriotism is not Patriotism

But forced protocol is still protocol.

Sure. It's still a protocol developed for the wrong reasons and is just silly
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-23-2018, 05:38 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 12:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But forced protocol is still protocol.

Sure. It's still a protocol developed for the wrong reasons and is just silly

i totally agree with you blkranger.

The NFL has taken another L like it has been for years now. If it wasn't for the Superbowl being an unofficial holiday, I wonder where the NFL would be with all of these horrible decisions they have been making.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

But hey, 30 years later, Trump finally showed that NFL who's boss.

After reading the policy, I’m failing to see cause for uproar. You can choose to stay in the locker room or stand during anthem. Covers both groups: those who wish to show patriotism and those that wish not to for whatever their reasons. Makes a heck of a lot more sense than the uniform policies.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Unless this changes, I'll no longer be watching the NFL.

The players were never kneeling to disrespect the flag or veterans. The players were kneeling to bring awareness to the mistreatment of minorities in this country. The owners went behind the player's and the players Union's backs in an attempt to suppress them.

Look at the Sterling Brown video released today. That's why the players kneel.( Kneeling, by the way, as we all should know was suggested originally to kaep by a green beret.) The focus was perverted by NFL owners, trump, and the media to discredit the movement. Racism and mistreatment of black people is still rampant and these athletes are constitutionally allowed to kneel.

"If there is any fixed star in our Constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. …We think the action of the local authorities in compelling the flag salute and pledge transcends constitutional limitations on their power and invades the sphere of intellect and spirit which it is the purpose of the First Amendment to our Constitution to reserve from all official control.”
-
Justice Robert Jackson of the US supreme Court

Don't give me the crap about them being "allowed" to stay in the locker room. That's being suppressed by your superiors for your beliefs.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Protest how we want you to protest.

(05-23-2018, 11:34 PM)Achilles Wrote: Unless this changes, I'll no longer be watching the NFL.

The players were never kneeling to disrespect the flag or veterans. The players were kneeling to bring awareness to the mistreatment of minorities in this country. The owners went behind the player's and the players Union's backs in an attempt to suppress them.

Look at the Sterling Brown video released today. That's why the players kneel.( Kneeling, by the way, as we all should know was suggested originally to kaep by a green beret.) The focus was perverted by NFL owners, trump, and the media to discredit the movement. Racism and mistreatment of black people is still rampant and these athletes are constitutionally allowed to kneel.

"If there is any fixed star in our Constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. …We think the action of the local authorities in compelling the flag salute and pledge transcends constitutional limitations on their power and invades the sphere of intellect and spirit which it is the purpose of the First Amendment to our Constitution to reserve from all official control.”
-

Don't give me the crap about them being "allowed" to stay in the locker room. That's being suppressed by your superiors for your beliefs.

No one cares.

Just like no one cared about the crazies who stopped because of the kneeling.

You're all frigging lunatics.

(05-24-2018, 08:32 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 11:34 PM)Achilles Wrote: Unless this changes, I'll no longer be watching the NFL.

-

No one cares.

Just like no one cared about the crazies who stopped because of the kneeling.

You're all frigging lunatics.

Super intelligent response.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."