Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
National Anthem Part II - 2018 Season

(05-24-2018, 12:12 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 10:17 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: The owners have demanded to have the voices of the players protesting be silenced, by keeping them in the locker room where they cant be seen or heard.

"Why are black people always rioting, can they protest in peace?"

Black people silently protesting taking a knee during the national anthem against police brutality- " They shouldn't be protesting, they hate the military, go somewhere else with that crap."

End result- Confine all the protesters to a enclosed area where they cant be seen or heard and silencing their voice.

First off, the anthem at the beginning of an NFL game is not the place to protest. Police brutality has nothing to do with the NFL, America in general, or the Federal government. That's like picketing McDonalds because of something you find offensive at Target. Protesting during the anthem comes across first and foremost a statement of hating the US. Claiming it's for an unrelated "good cause" is either dishonest or moronic.

Secondly, your #1 spokesperson and the guy who started this (probably he started it because he was upset at being benched for Blaine Gabbert and originally had nothing to do with the police) was protesting police brutality while wearing a Castro shirt. How clueless can this movement be if that's the case?

A minor point, if I may.  Since 1964, the Federal Government has taken on the role of minimizing and punishing police brutality.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-24-2018, 01:29 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 01:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Protesting should be done on your own time, not your employers. Go kneel outside on the sidewalk whenever you want to, but if you're on the clock then you're my agent and will act according to my requirements.

Exactly... and if you don't like the requirements, you're free to find employment elsewhere. That's the beauty of America.

I actually agree when it comes to political messages, they should stay out of the workplace generally.

But if there is a need to specifically protest working conditions, as there often was in the years 1865-1935, protesting on the clock may be the only choice.

And if your employer is specifically making money off of your name, reputation, and likeness, as all NFL teams and entertainment companies in general are, you as an employee have much more leverage than an average joe like you or me have with our employers.  If they get to put your face on their tickets and their billboards, you get some power to say what you feel while the cameras are on.  Yes, if you say something controversial, you could hurt them, but you'd be hurting yourself too and that should be your choice to make.

(05-27-2018, 03:15 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 01:29 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Exactly... and if you don't like the requirements, you're free to find employment elsewhere. That's the beauty of America.

I actually agree when it comes to political messages, they should stay out of the workplace generally.

But if there is a need to specifically protest working conditions, as there often was in the years 1865-1935, protesting on the clock may be the only choice.

And if your employer is specifically making money off of your name, reputation, and likeness, as all NFL teams and entertainment companies in general are, you as an employee have much more leverage than an average joe like you or me have with our employers.  If they get to put your face on their tickets and their billboards, you get some power to say what you feel while the cameras are on.  Yes, if you say something controversial, you could hurt them, but you'd be hurting yourself too and that should be your choice to make.

And the employer can then fine or take other punitive action. What should not be happening is all these people saying the NFL is quelching free speech, as they have no obligation to permit it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-24-2018, 01:29 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Exactly... and if you don't like the requirements, you're free to find employment elsewhere. That's the beauty of America.

Actually no.  They signed collectively bargained contracts.  This grants the league extra constitutional powers.

(05-27-2018, 04:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 03:15 PM)mikesez Wrote: I actually agree when it comes to political messages, they should stay out of the workplace generally.

And the employer can then fine or take other punitive action. What should not be happening is all these people saying the NFL is quelching free speech, as they have no obligation to permit it.

Right. In general, private citizens can withhold business from other private citizens for any reason or no reason, including offensive speech or demonstrations, but not including that person's membership in a protected class such as a racial, gender, or ethnic category.

If there's a union contract in place, though, that has to be followed first. I don't really know what the Union contract says on this matter but it is important, as are the individual player contracts.

The NFL has the specific job of putting the best possible athletes on the field to compete at the highest possible level. Sometimes athletes get excluded from competition for reasons that have nothing to do with their performance on the field. They've taken an extremely hard line against players with traces of pot in their systems, but they've taken, "yeah, she was drunk, yeah I just met her, yes we had rough sex, but I swear she didn't say no..." as acceptable on rape accusations. So the standards of behavior we hold these guys to are odd.  Drink and smoke tobacco to your heart's content, just don't drive.  And dont ever touch the wacky weed!  Abuse women if you want, just make sure no one else hears her say no, and make sure there are no cameras. Go ahead and try to take out the other guy's knees, that is, unless the other guy is the white star quarterback. And don't ever talk about politics, or racism, and don't do anything but stand at attention while the anthem plays.

Does any of this seem arbitrary and hypocritical to you? Is it just me?

It's just you. You are buying the racism lie.

And what's this BS about membership in a "protected class"? 200 million slaughtered last century from this kind of thinking.

Look up the history of the word "racism" and then get back to me.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018, 05:05 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

God..I just read this entire thread and there are all it did was expose some real idiots on this board.

Nobody protested on the clock..if you decide to unionize and protest your place of employment then you have to get on the other side of the gate..and know..you don't get paid for it either.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018, 05:29 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

(05-25-2018, 11:49 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 11:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Because the NFL didn't address the issue last year, a situation that's now been rectified at the league and team levels.
Is it rectified? Instead of cameras on the players kneeling, they will now focus on the locker room to watch players walk out. It's the same thing.

Tom Brady could kneel in game 1 and the Pats will do absolutely nothing about it. Ramsey could kneel game 1 and you think the Jags would do something?

Our day jobs are nothing like these NFL players so saying things like "Hey. You try protesting at your job and see what happens" makes no sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense and IS just like another job. Favoritism to highly skilled or high earners happens all the damn time in multiple professions. (Damn, out here in the real world it sounds like almost every job I've had) And yes once their trouble becomes a bigger problem then they're worth..they're gone more often than not.

Again, just another job.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018, 06:00 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

(05-25-2018, 12:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 12:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Lol.. if you want to think they're special, go right ahead.

At the end of the day, they are just dumb jocks who would fail at anything else.
lol You're clueless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myron_Rolle

They can do things that you or I can't do. They have a special set of skills that very few people on this planet have.

Who gives a crap..all you did was answer why they get compensated so well. (Special rare skill set) the same reason why other professionals like Doctors and surgeons are highly compensated..still doesn't change the fact that it's another JOB.

Also just because these guys can run really fast and jump really high it doesn't change the fact that some of them don't know their [BLEEP] from a hole in the ground.

These idiots supposedly have a college education and they can't even figure out how the constitution/2nd amendment works pertaining to a private company. You don't have the right to do you're own "thang" by saying and doing whatever you want without any repercussions from your employer. They have the right to punish you and yes..even fire you if they choose to.

(06-03-2018, 05:02 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: God..I just read this entire thread and there are all it did was expose some real idiots on this board.

(05-27-2018, 03:15 PM)mikesez Wrote: I actually agree when it comes to political messages, they should stay out of the workplace generally.

Nobody protested on the clock..if you decide to unionize and protest your place of employment then you have to get on the other side of the gate..and know..you don't get paid for it either.

There was, in the history of various country's labor movements, times when a work "slow down" was the most effective tactic for bringing management to the table.  Striking could get you fired.  Barricading could get you arrested or beaten.  So they made their demands known, then worked as sssllooowwwly as possible until management couldn't stand it. 
So yes there are instances where people protest on the clock and it is sometimes appropriate and it sometimes works.

(05-25-2018, 12:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 12:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Lol.. if you want to think they're special, go right ahead.

At the end of the day, they are just dumb jocks who would fail at anything else.
lol You're clueless.

They can do things that you or I can't do. They have a special set of skills that very few people on this planet have.

I knew you'd go to him. Which is pretty sad on your part. The one exception. The ONE.

Every single player who scores lower than a 19 on the Wonderlic (the average score that janitors get on it, btw) is pretty much useless at anything involving critical thinking. Or thinking period.

Now I'm just waiting on you to pull out Ryan Fitzpatrick's perfect 50 on the Wonderlic as another example that ALL football players are brilliant.

The vast, vast, vast majority are morons who know nothing.

(06-03-2018, 07:01 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 12:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: lol You're clueless.

I knew you'd go to him. Which is pretty sad on your part. The one exception. The ONE.

Every single player who scores lower than a 19 on the Wonderlic (the average score that janitors get on it, btw) is pretty much useless at anything involving critical thinking. Or thinking period.

Now I'm just waiting on you to pull out Ryan Fitzpatrick's perfect 50 on the Wonderlic as another example that ALL football players are brilliant.

The vast, vast, vast majority are morons who know nothing.
Who said they are all brilliant? Also, you said Rolle was the one exception, THE ONE, but then also bring up Fitzpatrick. So which is it?

You made a blanket statement saying they are just "dumb jocks" when that's not true. There are dumb people at every job and NFL is no different. There are plenty of intelligent football players but if you want to continue being naive, by all means, go right ahead.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/national/p...em-dispute
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I bet the NFL never thought in a million years DJT would seek revenge on them not wanting him to be an owner from the position of POTUS.

(06-05-2018, 08:17 AM)Jagwired Wrote: https://www.news4jax.com/news/national/p...em-dispute

Good. The Eagles tried a strong arm tactic while grossly politicizing their potential visit. They chose to send only 10 folks, so what’s the point when you’ve bastardized the event?
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(06-05-2018, 08:17 AM)Jagwired Wrote: https://www.news4jax.com/news/national/p...em-dispute
"Oh yea?! Well you're not invited to my birthday party. So there!"

(06-05-2018, 08:33 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

Good. The Eagles tried a strong arm tactic while grossly politicizing their potential visit. They chose to send only 10 folks, so what’s the point when you’ve bastardized the event?

Did the Eagles choose to send only 10 folks, or did only 10 Eagles choose to go? I did not see that the Eagles as an organization limited the number of attendees, but I may have missed it.

(06-05-2018, 08:31 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I bet the NFL never thought in a million years DJT would seek revenge on them not wanting him to be an owner from the position of POTUS.

I would have bet most people seeing the POTUS exact his revenge in this fashion would be embarrassed by his pettiness, but our country is in a sad state.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(06-05-2018, 08:33 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

This wasn't a strong armed tactic by the Eagles, attendance was voluntary, and a majority indicated they wouldn't attend. Instead of honoring those attending, the Pouter in Chief cancelled the event. Not one single Eagle player knelt or sat during the anthem in 2017. If Trump can't get a full house, he won't have a party.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(06-05-2018, 12:27 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-05-2018, 08:33 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Good. The Eagles tried a strong arm tactic while grossly politicizing their potential visit. They chose to send only 10 folks, so what’s the point when you’ve bastardized the event?

This wasn't a strong armed tactic by the Eagles, attendance was voluntary, and a majority indicated they wouldn't attend. Instead of honoring those attending, the Pouter in Chief cancelled the event. Not one single Eagle player knelt or sat during the anthem in 2017. If Trump can't get a full house, he won't have a party.
Well said.

His party wasn't going to be YUGE so he canceled it like a child.