Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TwentyLand

Without being biased, I honestly think Jalen Ramsey is the best defensive player in the NFL.

The way I think of it, is if I was picking any defensive player, who would I want?

Von Miller, meh he's in his prime but has been for a few years. 

Watt, well the injuries have ruined him.

Luke Keuckly, I already have stud LBs in Jack and Smith.

So honestly Jalen shuts his side down. Which in return makes the entire defense better.

Maybe I'm drinking the koolaide.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2018, 04:28 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

After watching the Jags get lit up for 66 points combined vs the Steelers & Pats that included the following receiving stats, I'm going to defer my concurrence until the end of the 2018 season.

* Antonio Brown - 132 yards
* Brandon Cooks - 100 yards
* Danny Amendola - 84 yards

Shouldn't the best player in the NFL be able to shut down the opponents #1 or #2 WRs ?  If the best player in the NFL wasn't matched up on them, then shame on us.

(06-07-2018, 04:26 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: After watching the Jags get lit up for 66 points combined vs the Steelers & Pats that included the following receiving stats, I'm going to defer my concurrence until the end of the 2018 season.

Shouldn't the best player in the NFL be able to shut down the opponents #1 or #2 WRs ?  If the best player in the NFL wasn't matched up on them, then shame on us.

Not when the DC orders the defense to go into prevent and the corners to play off the receivers.

So yeah, shame on Wash.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(06-07-2018, 03:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Without being biased, I honestly think Jalen Ramsey is the best defensive player in the NFL.

The way I think of it, is if I was picking any defensive player, who would I want?

So honestly Jalen shuts his side down. Which in return makes the entire defense better.

Nah.

It's far more plausible to argue Rsmsey is the best defensive player in the league than it was to argue that Derek freaking Cox was better than Darelle Revis because of PFF grades.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-07-2018, 04:26 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: After watching the Jags get lit up for 66 points combined vs the Steelers & Pats that included the following receiving stats, I'm going to defer my concurrence until the end of the 2018 season.

Shame on us for trusting AJ Bouye to cover a #1receiver if he migrates? 

Uh... I don't know, brother.  I think he's pretty trustworthy. 

Plus - any OC worth his salt will flip the formation enough to find a mismatch here and there. It happens.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018, 11:39 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(06-07-2018, 09:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Shame on us for trusting AJ Bouye to cover a #1receiver if he migrates? 

Uh... I don't know, brother.  I think he's pretty trustworthy. 

Plus - any OC worth his salt will flip the formation enough to find a mismatch here and there. It happens.

We need to pull a Dieon Sanders then and just have Jalen follow the #1 WR everywhere;  doesn't sound too difficult from a defensive strategy adjustment.

(06-07-2018, 06:47 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Nah.

It's far more plausible to argue Rsmsey is the best defensive player in the league than it was to argue that Derek freaking Cox was better than Darelle Revis because of PFF grades.

Thems fightin' words with Alfie.  Don't be picking on Derek freaking Cox !!!  lol

Meh.

Brown is a top 5 WR of all time and made some unbelievable catches with Bouye draped all over him. Amendola is the slot right?

(06-08-2018, 11:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Meh.

Brown is a top 5 WR of all time and made some unbelievable catches with Bouye draped all over him. Amendola is the slot right?

Most of Brown's damage came against other DBs and a lot of those yards are attributed to the zone work our DBs hate doing lol
We have man guys and still play a lot of zone... for whatever reasons...

Also... We're talking about some really really good WRs (and a really really good QB throwing to the last two)

I mean even Deion Sanders and Darelle Revis gave up a catch or two....
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I'm just saying that I'm not ready to claim him the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL which is what the topic is all about.

Do you think he is the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL? I'm not there yet.

(06-08-2018, 12:37 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm just saying that I'm not ready to claim him the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL which is what the topic is all about.

Do you think he is the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL?  I'm not there yet.

So who in your opinion is the best defensive player in the nfl?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(06-07-2018, 03:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Without being biased, I honestly think Jalen Ramsey is the best defensive player in the NFL.

I don't think you're far off at all with your opinions. I would also add with Luke in Carolina that he's also been dealing with a lot of concussion issues lately over the past two seasons. He was shaken up pretty bad last time it happened. It was tough to see him after that. 

But it's pretty clear the rest of the NFL feels the same way about him. It's very well likely that he ends up being rated as either the top cover man in the NFL or he's right behind whomever the players think is better (And they're wrong if they say it's Rhodes or anybody else). 

But you're not drinking the teal kool-aid at all when it comes to him or virtually anybody on this defense. Ramsey is definitely making a case to be one of those longstanding players at his position where you can go back and reflect on him. I would say when it's all said and done you'll hear his name mentioned up there with guys like Revis, Sanders, Bailey, Sherman, Blount, etc. 

I think the most underrated aspect of his game is his toughness and tenacity to come up and stick his nose in the running game while actually making an impact. He's a freak athlete for sure with a tremendous feel for the game. I could see him being another Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson or Charles Woodson where he goes onto play safety towards the end of his career. He's just a natural out there.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-08-2018, 01:39 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 12:37 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm just saying that I'm not ready to claim him the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL which is what the topic is all about.

Do you think he is the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL?  I'm not there yet.

So who in your opinion is the best defensive player in the nfl?

Calais Campbell.

I haven't seen enough of Xavier Rhodes to compare him vs Jalen so I'll defer that topic of discussion for now.  

I'm also really high on Telvin Smith even though i'd still probably go Vonn Miller if I had to chose one or the other for just 1 season right now.

Jalen may be Top 10 .... just not Top 1 if I needed 1 defensive player for a single season  --  perhaps if i had to pick 1 defender for the next 10 years it would be Jalen, factoring in everyone's age, etc.

(06-08-2018, 02:44 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 01:39 PM)knarnn Wrote: So who in your opinion is the best defensive player in the nfl?

Calais Campbell.

I haven't seen enough of Xavier Rhodes to compare him vs Jalen so I'll defer that topic of discussion for now.  

I'm also really high on Telvin Smith even though i'd still probably go Vonn Miller if I had to chose one or the other for just 1 season right now.

Jalen may be Top 10 .... just not Top 1 if I needed 1 defensive player for a single season  --  perhaps if i had to pick 1 defender for the next 10 years it would be Jalen, factoring in everyone's age, etc.

Aaron Donald would be in the convo.

(06-08-2018, 03:17 PM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 02:44 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Calais Campbell.

Aaron Donald would be in the convo.

I definitely agree based on the reviews but oddly enough, I don't recall watching a single Rams game last season.  Can't wait to watch them this season with that Top 3 defense ---- I think Suh will come up big this year too since he's surrounded by talent and will likely be motivated to shake the "overpaid free agent" reputation that he got in Miami.

(06-08-2018, 03:41 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 03:17 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: Aaron Donald would be in the convo.

I definitely agree based on the reviews but oddly enough, I don't recall watching a single Rams game last season.  Can't wait to watch them this season with that Top 3 defense ---- I think Suh will come up big this year too since he's surrounded by talent and will likely be motivated to shake the "overpaid free agent" reputation that he got in Miami.

I disagree with Donald. He gets the grand majority of his sack total against the Seahawks and Cardinals every year. The Seahawks have a terrible offensive line. Wilson was basically running for his life last year while being mentioned as an MVP candidate. And the Cardinals are pretty decent at run blocking but extremely suspect in pass blocking. Neither of those teams really have noteworthy lineman. 

It's the same reason why I don't jump up and down about Watt. Watt's career sacks against the AFC South has always been favorable. Especially against us. Now, I know it's not his fault or Donald's fault as far as which division they plan in and which team they play for but it should be at least mentioned that these guys for a few years preyed upon some pretty weak and lack luster offensive lines. It's certainly played a role in their inflated stat sheets and the media and fellow player's perceptions about them. 

Donald maybe deserves to be in that discussion. Just depends on what you value more on either side of the football. Donald can be disruptive. And he can be a handful. But at DT you can at least get some help between another DT and the DE's and the LB's coming up inside as well. CB isn't the same. A lot of people will argue that CB and QB are probably THE toughest positions to play in all of football or sports in general. You're on an island as a CB. You can either match your man lined up across you stride for stride or you can't. 

And if you're really good at it like Ramsey? Defensive coordinators tend to put even more pressure on them by NOT giving them the safety help over the top. It's all on him. Not saying this because I am homer. But. Ramsey > Donald.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018, 07:05 PM by knarnn.)

(06-08-2018, 02:44 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 01:39 PM)knarnn Wrote: So who in your opinion is the best defensive player in the nfl?

Calais Campbell.

Didn’t Calais get skunked the last 5 games of the season including the playoffs against the Steelers and Pats?

Donald is double or triple teammed every single play.

I think Ramsey is on his way with another stellar season hopefully.

(06-08-2018, 09:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Donald is double or triple teammed every single play.

I think Ramsey is on his way with another stellar season hopefully.

No he isn't double, or triple teammed every single play. That's a load of bull. 

He's really good and sees a lot of doubles, but to say he is doubled, or triple teammed on every single play is laughable my man. That just simply isn't happening.

(06-07-2018, 03:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Without being biased, I honestly think Jalen Ramsey is the best defensive player in the NFL..
 BTW - Twentyland isn't some nickname he's given himself like Revis Island or whatever. 

It's the name of his athletic gear pop-up stores he's been working all summer where he sells t-shirts, sneakers and does autograph sessions. 

Here's the one near his home in Tenn:

[Image: 32925724_483742972044666_4328373208030904320_n.jpg]
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjh63fkHkof/