Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
CALLING THEIR BLUFF

(06-09-2018, 09:58 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 07:50 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I anxiously await your accounts of dealing with law enforcement as a black man.

I'm sure you don't believe it, but not every police officer spends his day looking for a black man to harass.  There are even black policemen!

Did I say anything of the sort? I only know what I've been told by African-American friends and co-workers, they perceive a difference. I've been pulled over a few times, the only time the officer asked for a passenger's id was when it was a black person. I didn't think much about it at first, but my friend told me it happens to him all the time. Just anecdotal, but that's my experience. What's yours?

And by the way, what makes you think a black policeman couldn't possibly harass a black man?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-09-2018, 09:58 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 07:50 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I anxiously await your accounts of dealing with law enforcement as a black man.

I'm sure you don't believe it, but not every police officer spends his day looking for a black man to harass.  There are even black policemen!

He takes the opinions of people that perceive injustice and ignore conflicting statements. This opinion, of course, is the outcome. When your taught the actions of police are exclusive to a specific race, you find injustices in everything.

Trump continues to play chess while the left play checkers and make themselves look even more foolish by the hour. The next generation will look back on Trump as we look back on Reagan. What a great time to be an American.

(06-10-2018, 04:26 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Trump continues to play chess while the left play checkers and make themselves look even more foolish by the hour. The next generation will look back on Trump as we look back on Reagan. What a great time to be an American.

But they look back on Reagan as a demented, criminal, warmonger who only helped the rich.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-10-2018, 04:26 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Trump continues to play chess while the left play checkers and make themselves look even more foolish by the hour. The next generation will look back on Trump as we look back on Reagan. What a great time to be an American.

Reagan is rolling over in his grave because you said that.

(06-10-2018, 02:32 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 09:58 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I'm sure you don't believe it, but not every police officer spends his day looking for a black man to harass.  There are even black policemen!

He takes the opinions of people that perceive injustice and ignore conflicting statements. This opinion, of course, is the outcome. When your taught the actions of police are exclusive to a specific race, you find injustices in everything.

I don't ignore them, I weigh them against what I've been told (not taught) and seen. I never said anything about exclusivity, I'm just telling you what I've seen, and been told by people I know intimately and trust.
- Bob Marley

(06-10-2018, 05:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

But they look back on Reagan as a demented, criminal, warmonger who only helped the rich.

Trump hasn't gone to war...yet...but you're pretty much spot on, otherwise, regarding the comparison.
- Bob Marley

(06-10-2018, 10:35 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 05:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But they look back on Reagan as a demented, criminal, warmonger who only helped the rich.

Trump hasn't gone to war...yet...but you're pretty much spot on, otherwise, regarding the comparison.

And there's really nothing anyone can do about their delusions.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-11-2018, 07:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 10:35 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Trump hasn't gone to war...yet...but you're pretty much spot on, otherwise, regarding the comparison.

And there's really nothing anyone can do about their delusions.

The jury is still out (literally) on how much is a delusion, and how delusional his supporters are, too.

After living though the experience of watching both parents affected by Alzheimer's, I have little doubt President Reagan suffered from early stage dementia in the later years of his presidency.
- Bob Marley

(06-11-2018, 12:16 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 07:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And there's really nothing anyone can do about their delusions.

The jury is still out (literally) on how much is a delusion, and how delusional his supporters are, too.

After living though the experience of watching both parents affected by Alzheimer's, I have little doubt President Reagan suffered from early stage dementia in the later years of his presidency.

I have no issues with that, I think it's accurate. Doesn't change the fact that he was a terrific President who helped pull us out of the Post-Viet Nam doldrums of the late 1970s. And it also doesn't change the fact that the market and economy seem to love what Trump is doing today.

(06-11-2018, 12:16 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 07:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And there's really nothing anyone can do about their delusions.

In his second term it has been confirmed.  His first term whether you agree or not was just what this country needed and at the right time.  He made us all proud to be American's again post Vietnam and the Iranian Hostage Crisis.  Sometimes being a leader has nothing to do with policies but how you make the masses feel.  (not wanting to delve into the Reagan presidency itself here)
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(06-09-2018, 10:40 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 09:58 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I'm sure you don't believe it, but not every police officer spends his day looking for a black man to harass.  There are even black policemen!

Did I say anything of the sort? I only know what I've been told by African-American friends and co-workers, they perceive a difference. I've been pulled over a few times, the only time the officer asked for a passenger's id was when it was a black person. I didn't think much about it at first, but my friend told me it happens to him all the time. Just anecdotal, but that's my experience. What's yours?

And by the way, what makes you think a black policeman couldn't possibly harass a black man?

And no matter how many times those instances happen... they are still very few and far between all the interactions that all police have with all black men (and women) everywhere.

Are there racist cops? Yes.
Should we do something about it? Yes.
Are cops inherently racist? No.

In 2008 there were like 750k+ police officers in the country.
If 100 of them shoot an unarmed black man, that doesn't mean we have a race relation police war going on. (Yes, it IS a problem but doesn't mean cops should be hunted, or streets clogged with BLM people) But the media and politicians would certainly love to spin it as such and have all of us arguing against each other.

It is an issue that needs addressed... but it is NOT some sweeping trend that is going to lead to thousands of dead black men laying the streets.

The issue is education (for police AND communities stricken with poverty, crime, etc) and training.
The issue is not COPS.
or WHITE people. or TRUMP.... 
There isn't a giant race problem in America people... there are racists... and I don't think we'll ever cure ourselves of hate, racism, religious acts of violence.... 
but if you think there are more racists in America than.... 50 years ago... you're crazy.... if you think that the actions of a few cops magnified through media coverage speaks to all cops... you're as dumb as a box of rocks.
You don't have to BE a black man to see the problem.
You don't have to be black to feel empathy for them when they are treated poorly because they are black.
But not every situation is about a black man being treated poorly. Even if that is what they want you to believe.

But anyone is free to feel however they wish on the issue I suppose...

Granted I was really young during the Reagan years... but looking back... I don't exactly look at him in a good light...
Contra
Iraq-Iran war
Beirut
Grenada
Arming Al Queda...

Even some of the economic stuff are arguable...

I think Trump will be and already is a better POTUS than Reagan.
But I'm lucky enough to be centered enough (socially liberal-ish, fiscally conservative-ish) I can look at all Presidents and politicians evenly.

What's the big deal about getting accused of shoplifting? I get accused all the time, so does my wife. We're careful shoppers who actually compare products, often pause a long time to read labels, sometimes even put something back on the shelf. Any theft-prevention professional will tell you these are traits common to shoplifters.

So what's the answer? Be a non-careful shopper who buys the wrong item? No. That would be silly.

Instead, we simply ignore any accusations. Problem solved. Sometimes they choose to escalate. Kabuki theater but we seem to have forgotten our lines. When they realize they screwed up, we still always get a lecture as if we did something wrong and they're letting us go "this time" but don't let "it" happen again. They don't ever explain what "it" is.

(06-14-2018, 10:29 AM)Kane Wrote:

Granted I was really young during the Reagan years... but looking back... I don't exactly look at him in a good light...
Contra
Iraq-Iran war
Beirut
Grenada
 Arming Al Queda...

But I'm lucky enough to be centered enough (socially liberal-ish, fiscally conservative-ish) I can look at all Presidents and politicians evenly.

No, Trump wont be better. Reagan ended the Misery Index and the Cold War with his policies. If you don't remember the Carter years then you really can't appreciate the difference.

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2018, 05:52 PM by pirkster.)

(06-14-2018, 05:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 10:29 AM)Kane Wrote: Granted I was really young during the Reagan years... but looking back... I don't exactly look at him in a good light...
Contra
Iraq-Iran war
Beirut
Grenada
 Arming Al Queda...

No, Trump wont be better. Reagan ended the Misery Index and the Cold War with his policies. If you don't remember the Carter years then you really can't appreciate the difference.

Imagine waiting in line for gasoline.  Not for a hurricane.  Because of a President's failed energy policy.  I member.

Like Trump's turnaround of the economy by reversing the mistakes of his predecessor, Reagan did the same on energy, economy, and many other areas.  There are similarities there.  Though the Presidents who preceded them were so inept and poor at their job, it did make the cleanup job easier in some ways - yet there is still so much yet to repair this time.

One advantage Reagan had was that the media wasn't a political machine at the time.  There were those on the fringes who weren't afraid to show bias, but it wasn't so open or nearly as common as today.  I also think the majority then did their best to be objective even if they may not have wanted to be.  That's long gone.  Imagine the coverage Reagan would have gotten in today's press.  But, they did their best to exploit what did come along.  They sided with unions for successfully cleaning up the ATC strike among other things.  The so-called "scandals" they tried to pin on him weren't seen then as they are now.  They appeared as the empty attacks they were.  Today, the openly left media has tossed any and all objectivity and are trying to rewrite the history of good he did for the country.  Good no President since has been able to accomplish.  Will Trump be able to achieve as much?  We can hope so.  He's gotten off to a terrific start so far, given the obstacles he's had to face.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Cops deal with this on a daily basis. This is why they escalate so quickly. Hesitation could mean the difference between life and death.

https://twitter.com/BakerBLeavitt/status...1095293954
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."