Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Throw Out the Script!

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2016, 06:55 AM by The Real Marty.)

Out offense is currently rated near the bottom of the league while the Raiders' defense is currently rated at the bottom of the league. 

Jags fan says, "Our offense should finally break out this week.  The Raiders' defense sucks." 

Raiders fan says, "Our defense should finally get better this week.  The Jags' offense sucks."  

Every single week, we look at the stats and say our opponent can't stop the run so we should be able to run the ball this week, or our opponent can't protect the passer so we should get some sacks, etc etc etc, and it doesn't happen!   Why?  Because these teams have coaches, and they fix things, they make adjustments, they realign formations, they deal with stuff. 

I just wish we could go out there and deal with what's in front of us in real time, and not count on the other team doing exactly what they have done in the past.  Scripting the first 15 plays is fine, but as Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke said, "No battle plan ever survives contact  with the enemy."   If your 15 play script includes 3 runs off tackle because you anticipate the defense lining up a certain way, and they don't line up that way, for God's sake, throw out the script!  

Why is it that we never score on our first drive?   Why are we so much better in a helter-skelter end of game, no huddle offense?   Is it because our first 15 plays are scripted?  

Why is it that so often early in the game, an incomplete pass on first and 10 is followed by a running play?  Is it because we scripted a running play for the second play of the game?   Is our script so locked in, so cast in concrete, that we don't adapt to down and distance?  

I think we should give up scripting the first 15 plays.  If all we do is go 3 and out when following the script, what are we accomplishing? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Out offense is currently rated near the bottom of the league while the Raiders' defense is currently rated at the bottom of the league.

Jags fan says, "Our offense should finally break out this week. The Raiders' defense sucks."

Raiders fan says, "Our defense should finally get better this week. The Jags' offense sucks."

Every single week, we look at the stats and say our opponent can't stop the run so we should be able to run the ball this week, or our opponent can't protect the passer so we should get some sacks, etc etc etc, and it doesn't happen! Why? Because these teams have coaches, and they fix things, they make adjustments, they realign formations, they deal with stuff.

I just wish we could go out there and deal with what's in front of us in real time, and not count on the other team doing exactly what they have done in the past. Scripting the first 15 plays is fine, but as Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke said, "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy." If your 15 play script includes 3 runs off tackle because you anticipate the defense lining up a certain way, and they don't line up that way, for God's sake, throw out the script!

Why is it that we never score on our first drive? Why are we so much better in a helter-skelter end of game, no huddle offense? Is it because our first 15 plays are scripted?

Why is it that so often early in the game, an incomplete pass on first and 10 is followed by a running play? Is it because we scripted a running play for the second play of the game? Is our script so locked in, so cast in concrete, that we don't adapt to down and distance?

I think we should give up scripting the first 15 plays. If all we do is go 3 and out when following the script, what are we accomplishing?

An important part of the first 15-20 plays being scripted is to see how the defense sets up against certain formations/looks. You can then use this info to help you later in the game.

Prime example of this was the Chargers seeing that Poz lines up in man on WR #3 against trips closed in the scripted first 15 plays. They then went back to that exact same formation later in the game for a huge gain against Poz.

I see what youre saying. I don't think they script it as much as we tend to think they do, but of course I have no way to back that statement up. I know the first 15 or so plays are generally picked before the game, but I don't know how much they stick to that, and I think a lot of preparation goes into those 15 plays to begin with.

I would agree in general that fans tend to rely on stats and trends way more than they should when evaluating their team's match up for the week, but I'm hopeful our coaching staff does more than say "ok they are bad in run D, we are gonna run it off tackle 3 straight to start the game." To me, it would make sense to say ok, this team is horrible on defense, this is what they do bad, and this is what they do worse; this is how we are going to take advantage, by matching this person up against this person and running this play. It's chess between coaches, and I imagine there's so much that goes into it that when they are finally done with the game plans, looking at both would give a good indicator of who was gonna win, without any need to play the game. Maybe not game planning and scripting at all would indeed help with the element of surprise, but I tend to think that these games are a whoooole lot more about coaching than some of us believe, and it all starts with the game plan.

For me, I would think our inability to score on the first drive has more to do with our tendency to start slow combined with the fact that we can't run the ball on anybody this year. For me, a lot of that slow start stuff IS an indictment on the coaches and their gameplans, but I don't think it's them scripting plays so much as it's them scripting the wrong ones.

Quote:An important part of the first 15-20 plays being scripted is to see how the defense sets up against certain formations/looks. You can then use this info to help you later in the game.

Prime example of this was the Chargers seeing that Poz lines up in man on WR #3 against trips closed in the scripted first 15 plays. They then went back to that exact same formation later in the game for a huge gain against Poz.

I know that's the idea behind the script.  But what I question is the apparent lack of flexibility we show in response to how the defense lines up.   I know I'm just guessing here, and making some assumptions, but it seems to me that so often, especially early in games, we call a running play and appear to completely disregard down and distance.   I don't know how many 2nd and 10 running plays I've seen this year, but it's a bunch, especially after an incomplete pass on 1st and 10.  "Mixing it up" and "offensive balance" shouldn't mean a pass play is always followed by a running play and vice versa. 

Successful offenses line up and take what the defense gives them.   We seem to be trying to force the game plan.   We seem kind of mentally dim.  We're very slow to react to what the opposing defense is doing.   Part of that has to be the scripted plays to open the game.  3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out.  The scripted plays aren't working!   Oh, but we're finding out stuff.  Meanwhile, we've pretty much blown off the entire first quarter. 

Quote:I know that's the idea behind the script. But what I question is the apparent lack of flexibility we show in response to how the defense lines up. I know I'm just guessing here, and making some assumptions, but it seems to me that so often, especially early in games, we call a running play and appear to completely disregard down and distance. I don't know how many 2nd and 10 running plays I've seen this year, but it's a bunch, especially after an incomplete pass on 1st and 10. "Mixing it up" and "offensive balance" shouldn't mean a pass play is always followed by a running play and vice versa.

Successful offenses line up and take what the defense gives them. We seem to be trying to force the game plan. We seem kind of mentally dim. We're very slow to react to what the opposing defense is doing. Part of that has to be the scripted plays to open the game. 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. The scripted plays aren't working! Oh, but we're finding out stuff. Meanwhile, we've pretty much blown off the entire first quarter.

Agree with you on that and I believe that's from Bradley wanting to be a strong running team. You have to run on 2nd and long to keep the teams honest but it seems we over do it.

Also a part of it is Bortles seems to naturally be a slow starter, although the drive against the Bears was perfect until we got at the goal line.

Its not ideal but I'd love to see some option plays with Blake running the ball early on in play. Think it would help the run game and offense as a whole if they have to at least take into account Blake might keep it and run.

olsen needs to let bortles be bortles . this offenses identity should be play action. bortles is at his best rolling out and running

I think jags need to find a pro style QB who's mechanics are already NFL ready and can read defenses.

Quote:I know that's the idea behind the script.  But what I question is the apparent lack of flexibility we show in response to how the defense lines up.   I know I'm just guessing here, and making some assumptions, but it seems to me that so often, especially early in games, we call a running play and appear to completely disregard down and distance.   I don't know how many 2nd and 10 running plays I've seen this year, but it's a bunch, especially after an incomplete pass on 1st and 10.  "Mixing it up" and "offensive balance" shouldn't mean a pass play is always followed by a running play and vice versa. 

Successful offenses line up and take what the defense gives them.   We seem to be trying to force the game plan.   We seem kind of mentally dim.  We're very slow to react to what the opposing defense is doing.   Part of that has to be the scripted plays to open the game.  3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out.  The scripted plays aren't working!   Oh, but we're finding out stuff.  Meanwhile, we've pretty much blown off the entire first quarter. 

First... an offense is not successful if it only takes what the defense gives them. Every now & then, you got to take what you want. 

But anyway, I decided to go back & look at the play-by-play of your game against Chicago. Looking at the first 12 plays, looks like the plan, the script work pretty good until ARob batted the ball in the air. 12 plays, 84 yards... not bad at all. 

Against the Colts, the first series was a 3 & out. A 4 yard run by Yeldon, an incomplete pass to the TE. & a two yard scramble. I'd have to watch the game (which I didn't) to determine if your QB was making good decisions. Doesn't look like it. However, the second series went for 5 plays, 24 yards & a TD. It started with an incomplete pass to the RB. The obligatory run after an incompletion for 10 yards on 2nd down. Holding penalty. QB scramble, 15 yard run on 2nd down, 3 yard TD pass to the guy ruining my fantasy team. All of these plays should have been in the 15 scripted plays. 

Baltimore starts with a 3 & out. Incomplete pass, run for 3 yards, incomplete pass. 2nd series 5 plays 15 yards punt. There was a negative run, Chris Ivory getting stuffed for a -2 yards. One incomplete pass. Again, I'd need to see the timing on that pass, the location of the throw, the route ran, where the defender is. 

Still, I don't think the problem is the scripting. QB has to make good decisions. Like that run that was stuffed.... was that an obvious situation where the QB should have checked out of the play? Adjusted the blocking? Should the RB cut it back?

& the guys on the other side of the ball get paid too. 

IMO, it's silly to worry too much about scripting & not scoring on the first possession. To me, it's more about getting my QB comfortable, in a rhythm, & feeling out the defense. If those things aren't happening & your offensive coordinators haven't figured the defense out until it's too late, that's what I'd complain about. 

But that's just me. 

ImATexan

Quote:First... an offense is not successful if it only takes what the defense gives them. Every now & then, you got to take what you want. 

But anyway, I decided to go back & look at the play-by-play of your game against Chicago. Looking at the first 12 plays, looks like the plan, the script work pretty good until ARob batted the ball in the air. 12 plays, 84 yards... not bad at all. 

Against the Colts, the first series was a 3 & out. A 4 yard run by Yeldon, an incomplete pass to the TE. & a two yard scramble. I'd have to watch the game (which I didn't) to determine if your QB was making good decisions. Doesn't look like it. However, the second series went for 5 plays, 24 yards & a TD. It started with an incomplete pass to the RB. The obligatory run after an incompletion for 10 yards on 2nd down. Holding penalty. QB scramble, 15 yard run on 2nd down, 3 yard TD pass to the guy ruining my fantasy team. All of these plays should have been in the 15 scripted plays. 

Baltimore starts with a 3 & out. Incomplete pass, run for 3 yards, incomplete pass. 2nd series 5 plays 15 yards punt. There was a negative run, Chris Ivory getting stuffed for a -2 yards. One incomplete pass. Again, I'd need to see the timing on that pass, the location of the throw, the route ran, where the defender is. 

Still, I don't think the problem is the scripting. QB has to make good decisions. Like that run that was stuffed.... was that an obvious situation where the QB should have checked out of the play? Adjusted the blocking? Should the RB cut it back?

IMO, it's silly to worry too much about scripting & not scoring on the first possession. To me, it's more about getting my QB comfortable, in a rhythm, & feeling out the defense. If those things aren't happening & your offensive coordinators haven't figured the defense out until it's too late, that's what I'd complain about. 

But that's just me. 

Bingo. There were games last year when you could see BB get into his groove. This year, I've yet to see him get comfortably settled in. You can see the frustration on his face. There is some major dissonance with the OC. It's almost like he disagrees with the entire playbook. Greg Olson needs to hit the door along with Gus.

The script and play calling last week were actually very good. Here's the breakdown:

The first (very scripted) series last week was excellent until AR bobbled the would-be TD in the end zone.  

The next series was going OK even after running on 1st and 2nd downs. They were in position to convert on 3rd and 4. Blake threw to Thomas who was in single coverage but very covered (and interfered with w/o a flag) but unfortunately Lee was WIDE open over the middle beyond the sticks.  Kinda hard to put that on the script or on Olson. 

In the third series I saw the first "questionable" scenario when Blake gets sacked by Young who was being blocked by Julius Thomas. Not exactly sure why that happened:/   They were trying for a big play on a rollout, but he rolled out right into Young.

Still - they would have converted (next play) on the pass to Hurns over the middle had he not taken that helmet-to-helmet hit, or had it been flagged. 

Next series (3rd quarter now) they try to throw on first down but A-Rob drops a tough one to grab. Bortles threw a little behind him but he had to due to a LB in the lane. Zero yards running on 2nd down. Third down - Blake misses an open JT and they have to punt. 

Next series - they are in a very manageable 3rd and 3 when Hurns drops a short pass over the middle and JT is flagged for offensive PI on the same play. 

Again - not the script. 

After all this they started the comeback. So - seriously guys - the script was just fine.  The game plan was fine minus the one blocking mismatch. 

The failures were on the players making mistakes. Better execution and they'd have won by three scores. 

(BTW - I opened this thread expecting to chime in on the flawed play calling and "getting away from strengths," but after reviewing the play-by-play and watching all the "questionable" downs on all22, I came away feeling differently)

Quote:First... an offense is not successful if it only takes what the defense gives them. Every now & then, you got to take what you want. 

But that's just me. 
Man, worry about your sorry team with the qb who has a neck like giraffe. Get off of our forum giving your 2 cents about a team that has no allegiance to you.  

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:I think jags need to find a pro style QB who's mechanics are already NFL ready and can read defenses.
Man please do us a favor and Ban yourself.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Man, worry about your sorry team with the qb who has a neck like giraffe. Get off of our forum giving your 2 cents about a team that has no allegiance to you.  

It may come as a surprise, but the team has no allegiance to you. 

ImATexan

Dude the clown thing is uncool. And disrespectful.

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:Dude the clown thing is uncool. And disrespectful.

[Image: not-sure-if-vq44kb.jpg]

If people started acting a fool dressed up like Mortal Kombat characters, would you change your avatar? 

This has been my avatar on this board since 2014. 

ImATexan

You've obviously never been to battle red week in Houston. His avatar is but a small sample of the general population attending those games.

Quote:Its not ideal but I'd love to see some option plays with Blake running the ball early on in play. Think it would help the run game and offense as a whole if they have to at least take into account Blake might keep it and run.

Smile