Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Texans rookie OT Rankin recovering from foot surgery

Texans rookie OT Rankin recovering from foot surgery

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ot-surgery

After sustaining a foot injury at rookie minicamp last name, Houston Texans rookie offensive tackle Martinas Rankin is recovering from surgery and is expected to return by the start of the regular seas

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I hate national writers...he was never the "front runner" to replace Duane Brown, that's Julie'n Davenport..with Henderson behind him. O'Brien is not throwing a 3rd round rookie out there to protect Watson's blind side. If he does end up playing tackle it'll most likely be on the right side, but I think his future is at guard.

(06-12-2018, 07:13 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: I hate national writers...he was never the "front runner" to replace Duane Brown, that's Julie'n Davenport..with Henderson behind him. O'Brien is not throwing a 3rd round rookie out there to protect Watson's blind side. If he does end up playing tackle it'll most likely be on the right side, but I think his future is at guard.

Do you think Davenport can play the position well enough to be more than a stopgap?

I'm not sure a team would spend one of its top two picks-even if that top pick is only a 3rd rounder-on a position if the team were confident in the incumbent's ability to play the position well.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2018, 12:17 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

(06-15-2018, 05:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-12-2018, 07:13 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: I hate national writers...he was never the "front runner" to replace Duane Brown, that's Julie'n Davenport..with Henderson behind him. O'Brien is not throwing a 3rd round rookie out there to protect Watson's blind side. If he does end up playing tackle it'll most likely be on the right side, but I think his future is at guard.

Do you think Davenport can play the position well enough to be more than a stopgap?

I'm not sure a team would spend one of its top two picks-even if that top pick is only a 3rd rounder-on a position if the team were confident in the incumbent's ability to play the position well.

The guy wasn't projected to be a NFL left tackle... He'll end up at guard or right tackle if he does play outside. The Texans have multiple positions on their line where they're looking for a upgrade. Rankin has versatility to play multiple positions..that's why he was selected in the 3rd round. He wasn't selected to be the LT of the future. He has shorter arms and is kinda stiff. Like I said, RT if he stays outside, but I mostly expect him to end up inside.

Davenport has all the top physical traits (elite arm length and hand size) to be a excellent LT in this league...but since he played at Bucknell, small non FBS school he didn't face top competition and thus technique wise wasn't as developed...reason why he was a 4th rounder. 

He was never even supposed to play last season. The plan was to draft him and develop him for a year behind Duane Brown. That plan went to hell when Duane Brown started crying like a giant baby and held out. Davenport ended up being pressed into action sooner than the Texans ever wanted. He struggled early, but finished the year strong and with a year under his belt and the experience he gained, the Texans are expecting him to take another step and improve where he left off last season. That national writer calling Rankin the front runner is a idiot.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2018, 06:14 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

Martinas Rankin activated from PUP list following foot surgery.

Quote:Texans activate Martinas Rankin after he passes physical

Texans rookie offensive tackle Martinas Rankin was activated from the physically unable to perform list after he passed his physical.

Rankin has recovered from foot surgery that sidelined him for most of the offseason and the firs two preseaon games. He is expected to be ready by the start of the regular season.

Rankin underwent the procedure to repair damage suffered during a rookie minicamp. [font=RobotoRegular, Arial, sans-serif]A third-round draft pick, Rankin was an All-Southeastern Conference selection at Mississippi State.[/font]

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.c...168786.php

This is good news as Rankin is a versatile lineman who should supply much needed depth early on at multiple positions for a revamped Houston offensive line.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!