Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do you think we try Lazard out at TE

So there’s two things I’ve heard: 
1. Lazard signed with the Jaguars because we promised him we wouldn’t sign any other undrafted wide receivers. So clearly he wants to play wide receiver

2. He said during the draft process he’d be open to a position change to WR.

All I’ve heard about this kid is that he’s 6’5” and an incredible blocker and red zone threat. And now with the emergence of Rashad Greene and the already crowded wideout room and the lack of play making tight ends behind ASJ, why not have him work out at TE. Sterling was a failed experiment, however, Sterling wasn’t nearly as productive at a sub-division school than Lazard was at Iowa State. And Lazard is bigger.

I’d love to keep a guy like Lazard

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He has prototypical TE size and the same thought crossed my mind when we signed him, but I thought I remembered reading shortly after that he signed with Jacksonville because we promised not to move him to TE.

(06-13-2018, 12:47 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: He has prototypical TE size and the same thought crossed my mind when we signed him, but I thought I remembered reading shortly after that he signed with Jacksonville because we promised not to move him to TE.

It might come down to coach having a talk with him about where he sits on the depth chart at WR and where he would be at TE, then he can make the decision of whether he wants to play football in the NFL or not.

I heard he would make a really good tight end. But an even better receiver.

But it's possible, Wilford did it.

The knock on him in the draft was that he lacked explosiveness. That’s not going to get any better in the big league. Maybe spending a few weeks matched up with Jalen will make him consider moving positions.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I didn’t know he only signed because he’d only play WR but I just see more opportunity and upward mobility for him at the TE position. If he’s really a great blocker, he immediately jumps over Koyack as the tight end 2

(06-12-2018, 11:31 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: So there’s two things I’ve heard: 
1. Lazard signed with the Jaguars because we promised him we wouldn’t sign any other undrafted wide receivers. So clearly he wants to play wide receiver

All I’ve heard about this kid is that he’s 6’5” and an incredible blocker and red zone threat. And now with the emergence of Rashad Greene and the already crowded wideout room and the lack of play making tight ends behind ASJ, why not have him work out at TE. Sterling was a failed experiment, however, Sterling wasn’t nearly as productive at a sub-division school than Lazard was at Iowa State. And Lazard is bigger.

That's hilarious.

Every offseason/preseason the same thing happens and every year dude does nothing on regular season. There was a time when people here thought he was gonna be a great slot WR.

(06-13-2018, 07:26 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-12-2018, 11:31 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: So there’s two things I’ve heard: 

That's hilarious.

Every offseason/preseason the same thing happens and every year dude does nothing on regular season. There was a time when people here thought he was gonna be a great slot WR.

You're right...I think of Charles Sharon, the Pride of Palatka, every spring when I read this.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(06-13-2018, 07:56 AM)PF* Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 07:26 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: That's hilarious.

You're right...I think of Charles Sharon, the Pride of Palatka, every spring when I read this.

But you're forgetting that Cortez Hankton and Chad Owens are both first ballot HOFers.

(06-13-2018, 08:00 AM)JagJohn Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 07:56 AM)PF* Wrote: You're right...I think of Charles Sharon, the Pride of Palatka, every spring when I read this.

But you're forgetting that Cortez Hankton and Chad Owens are both first ballot HOFers.

It's true that many receivers have looked great in training camp and pre-season games only to disappoint when given the opportunity during regular season games. Mike Sims-Walker heads my list of disappointing receivers. None other than Vic Ketchman basically predicted he'd be the 2nd coming of Jimmy Smith, yet injuries kept him from ever amounting to anything in the NFL.

Nobody really knows whether Lazard will make it as an NFL receiver OR tight end. Just because other guys let us down doesn't mean he won't find a spot on this roster. He has always been extremely productive and defintitely has football intelligence. Who would have thought someone like Adam Thielen of the Vikings would make the list of top 100 players? There are many examples of players who may lack elite size and/or speed yet continually produce on the field. I have a hunch Lazard will fall into this category and don't care whether it's as a wide receiver or tight end.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM by ATLjag.)

Lazard reminds me alot of Ernest Wilford, a productive WR/TE possession guy. My only concern for Lazard is there may be too much talent on the roster for him to stick as just a tall possession guy.

I still dont know why Charles Sharon was cut. Maybe I was sleep but dude had talent.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(06-13-2018, 10:03 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Lazard reminds me alot of Ernest Wilford, a productive WR/TE possession guy.   My only concern for Lazard is there may be too much talent on the roster for him to stick as just a tall possession guy.

I think he's a PS candidate unless or until there is an injury at WR/TE.

I mean... doesn't matter what position we call him. If he can play either in a pinch as the 3rd/4th or 5th/6th at either position he may earn a spot on that alone.
Versatility in today's NFL is key.
As is availability (Greene and Lee have an injury history)

Yeah, you could say that. And it’s absolutley valid. For every Charles Sharon, we have an Allen Hurns who became a 1,000 yard/10 Touchdown player after hearing him tear it up in camp. Even our leading receiver from last year, Keelan Cole, had reports out about him being a camp star. But we’ve seen Rashad Greene do it at the NFL level (albeit a sample size). He’s been injury prone, but his ability is not in question. His pedigree is worth seeing if he can have it translate: he is the most productive receiver in FSU history and a Nat’l Champ. 

I don’t think we should judge other guys on how the previous regime handled their players. During the Sims-Walker days, we were starving for WR talent. Today, we are a much better team and even had the luxury of letting a pro bowl player walk in free agency.

"Well kid, you can play Tight End for $485,000 this year...or you can be unemployed. What'ta ya say?"
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-13-2018, 01:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: "Well kid, you can play Tight End for $485,000 this year...or you can be unemployed. What'ta ya say?"

Tebow said "Ahhh Derrrr, I would rather be a QB that TE."

Now he is getting zero pub with a minor league team.

(06-13-2018, 02:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 01:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: "Well kid, you can play Tight End for $485,000 this year...or you can be unemployed. What'ta ya say?"

Tebow said "Ahhh Derrrr, I would rather be a QB that TE."

zero pub?

I still hear about every time Tebow hits a ball....

also... Tebow was once on a roster that probably should have given him a shot at QB... but they wanted to Jet it all up.

(06-13-2018, 03:18 PM)Kane Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 02:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Tebow said "Ahhh Derrrr, I would rather be a QB that TE."

zero pub?

I still hear about every time Tebow hits a ball....

also... Tebow was once on a roster that probably should have given him a shot at QB... but they wanted to Jet it all up.

Absolutely true.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

I live in Iowa and got to watch several ISU games and he seemed like the only guy capable of being dangerous in their passing attack.
No pain, no gain.

He'd basically have to beat Moncrief for a roster spot from the looks of things. Lee, Westbrook, Cole and Chark are locks. One of Rashad Greene and Jaydon Mickens is going to make the team as the punt returner. That puts us at five. Moncrief might as well be a lock, although his contract leaves a touch of wiggle room if he just Jerry Porters it up out there. For Lazard to make the team at receiver, Moncrief would pretty much have to quit.

At tight end, he would almost certainly be behind ASJ and Paul, but beyond that? Koyack, O'Shaughnessey and Grinnage are far, far from locks to make the team. There's a chance for him to be the primary backup to ASJ, a player with a history of missing games. Just from a numbers and available talent perspective, you'd think TE makes more sense unless Chark and Westbrook are going to handle returns or the team has already promised him a spot on the PS at receiver.