Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do you think we try Lazard out at TE

We will keep 3 TE for game day roster spots. At he probably gets a practice squad spot.

So I think he has a better shot at WR. I think he just misses the cut due to a numbers game.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-13-2018, 07:24 PM)TJBender Wrote: He'd basically have to beat Moncrief for a roster spot from the looks of things. Lee, Westbrook, Cole and Chark are locks. One of Rashad Greene and Jaydon Mickens is going to make the team as the punt returner. That puts us at five. Moncrief might as well be a lock, although his contract leaves a touch of wiggle room if he just Jerry Porters it up out there. For Lazard to make the team at receiver, Moncrief would pretty much have to quit.

Moncrief has been lighting it up thus far. I've read three articles citing his early chemistry with Bortles.  There's no way other than major injury he's not making this team. I bet he sees 700+ snaps as the X receiver in 2018 if he's healthy. 

The assumption of Greene or Mickens as the only options at returner is unwise  - as Westbrook is a great returner, Lee is capable there, and Chark has experience there as well.  Chark took many reps at PR during OTAs reportedly. 

Lazard is almost certainly a PS guy unless things go bad on the injury front. That's my take for what it's worth anyway. 

BB5.to.'Crief
[Image: BB5.2.creef.gif]

Man, I got a new phone and this auto correct is messing me all up.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2018, 07:32 AM by irontrooper83.)

(06-10-2018, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Moncrief has been lighting it up thus far. I've read three articles citing his early chemistry with Bortles.  There's no way other than major injury he's not making this team. I bet he sees 700+ snaps as the X receiver in 2018 if he's healthy. 

The assumption of Greene or Mickens as the only options at returner is unwise  - as Westbrook is a great returner, Lee is capable there, and Chark has experience there as well.  Chark took many reps at PR during OTAs reportedly. 

Lazard is almost certainly a PS guy unless things go bad on the injury front. That's my take for what it's worth anyway. 

BB5.to.'Crief

I agree with this.
As a sixth receiver I wouldn't rule out Wynn who was often praised by Marrone during the last offseason and got injured at the worst possible time to try and make the team. It's between him, Greene and Mickens in my opinion. (if we keep six). and Lazard is the outsider.

I know they aren't in pads yet and all but at this point I think Lazard best shot at eventually making the roster is either a move to TE or if the team views him a bit like Myrick last year: Marrone said that based on his level last year he shouldn't have made the roster but based on potential they made a bet on him to avoid the risk of losing him if they put him on the practice squad.
Maybe the same situation will be there for Lazard and because of that coud jump ahead of those 3 guys.
We'll see, training camp will be really interesting at multiple spots.

One other thing I wanted to Mention about Lazard is that I think he could really be a Trey Burton kind of Tight End. Not too fast but can be a passing threat and a competitive blocker

Yea, despite what has been said I believe he'll end up at tight end. He has much more upside at this position and I just don't see him making this roster as a wide receiver.

I feel opposite. He's a red zone receiver. Not a TE. If he makes the team, they drop a TE and keep an extra WR on the roster.

Since we carry FB now, FB can be used as a receiving TE - and linemen are routinely used as extra TEs as necessary to block or even catch.

I suppose it all depends on what he does to prove his worth. If you make yourself valuable, they'll find a way.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(06-13-2018, 10:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lazard is almost certainly a PS guy unless things go bad on the injury front. That's my take for what it's worth anyway. 

I'd agree with that take.

(06-13-2018, 10:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 07:24 PM)TJBender Wrote: He'd basically have to beat Moncrief for a roster spot from the looks of things. Lee, Westbrook, Cole and Chark are locks. One of Rashad Greene and Jaydon Mickens is going to make the team as the punt returner. That puts us at five. Moncrief might as well be a lock, although his contract leaves a touch of wiggle room if he just Jerry Porters it up out there. For Lazard to make the team at receiver, Moncrief would pretty much have to quit.

Moncrief has been lighting it up thus far. I've read three articles citing his early chemistry with Bortles.  There's no way other than major injury he's not making this team. I bet he sees 700+ snaps as the X receiver in 2018 if he's healthy. 

BB5.to.'Crief

Moncrief is basically a faster Allen Robinson (on paper) and we all know how much Bortles loved throwing the ball to Robinson. The only real difference is that Robinson has had a breakout season, while Moncrief has dealt with constant injury bugs (Robinson has had his share as well).

You can go back and look at their combine results and they're almost identical, except for the 40 times.

Robinson - 6'2 and 5/8", 220lbs, 4.60 40, 39" vert, 10'7" broad, 4.00 20 yard shuttle and 7.00 3 cone.

Moncrief - 6'2 and 3/8", 221lbs, 4.40 40, 39 1/2" vert, 11' broad, 4.30 20 yard shuttle and 7.02 3 cone.

As long as Moncrief can stay healthy, which is the biggest question mark on him, I definitely see Bortles and him connecting a whole lot this season. They're already showing the chemistry and big play ability in practices. Obviously we'll need to see that continue to carry onto real live game action, but so far the early signs are very good.

As we've talked about before in a different thread, I think the top 5 WR positions are a lock with Lee, Moncrief, Cole, Westbrook and Chark. Obviously possible injuries could play a role in that, but that 6th WR spot battle(if they decide to keep 6) is going to be a fun one to see play out.

At tight end, he would almost certainly be behind ASJ and Paul, but beyond that? Koyack, O'Shaughnessey and Grinnage are far, far from locks to make the team. There's a chance for him to be the primary backup to ASJ, a player with a history of missing games. Just from a numbers and available talent perspective, you'd think TE makes more sense unless Chark and Westbrook are going to handle returns or the team has already promised him a spot on the PS at receiver.

There is always attrition due to injuries. At least one of those WR will come down with some major or semi-major injury in OTA's or training camp resulting in them starting the season on the PUP or IR. The fact that we have this many WR that we can legitimately consider as assets to the team is great news all around. Won't even consider this an issue until the last roster cut deadline.

Bump.

I haven’t heard a peep from Lazard outside of a handful of catches early on in camp. It seems he’s definitely a long shot to make the final 53 with Greene and Mickens both doing laps around him.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Not gonna make it.

Has he even played in the preseason?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-28-2018, 05:54 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Has he even played in the preseason?

Quote: Allen Lazard, WR, Jacksvonille Jaguars

Stats: Lazard got playing time in a 17-6 win over the Atlanta Falcons. He’s now played in all three of Jacksonville’s preseason games, but the bulk of his time has come on special teams. So far, he’s tallied just one reception for five yards, and that came back in Week 1.

The skinny: Lazard is likely competing for a spot on special teams or even on Jacksonville’s practice squad. Jacksonville has a ton of options at wide receiver. But the group did take a major hit with Marqise Lee going down for theseason with an injury against the Falcons.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/...113921002/
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-28-2018, 06:05 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 05:54 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Has he even played in the preseason?

Quote: Allen Lazard, WR, Jacksvonille Jaguars

Stats: Lazard got playing time in a 17-6 win over the Atlanta Falcons. He’s now played in all three of Jacksonville’s preseason games, but the bulk of his time has come on special teams. So far, he’s tallied just one reception for five yards, and that came back in Week 1.

The skinny: Lazard is likely competing for a spot on special teams or even on Jacksonville’s practice squad. Jacksonville has a ton of options at wide receiver. But the group did take a major hit with Marqise Lee going down for theseason with an injury against the Falcons.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/...113921002/

Thanks! Interesting he hasn't gotten more looks considering he seemed to make plays in camp
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-28-2018, 06:14 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 06:05 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/...113921002/

Thanks! Interesting he hasn't gotten more looks considering he seemed to make plays in camp

Gotta make the most of the opportunities afforded to you. Both Greene and Mickens have. He’s going to get plenty of play time on Thursday. Let’s see if he can make one final impression before cuts.

We're even more stacked at TE, than we are at WR, so he wouldn't have a chance. I don't think he makes the regular season roster, but I believe he's a lock for the practice squad as a WR.

(08-28-2018, 06:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We're even more stacked at TE, than we are at WR, so he wouldn't have a chance. I don't think he makes the regular season roster, but I believe he's a lock for the practice squad as a WR.

I think that's why he hasn't played much in the pre-season. The Jags like his potential and don't want someone to take him off our practice squad if he shines. He might not even play much on Thursday.

He is a jar on the shelf. Take one down pass it around. 9 more jars on the shelf.

I think they are probably trying to limit his exposure to stash him on the PS...