Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do you think we try Lazard out at TE

(08-28-2018, 06:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We're even more stacked at TE, than we are at WR, so he wouldn't have a chance. I don't think he makes the regular season roster, but I believe he's a lock for the practice squad as a WR.

Cry Really? 

We have one good receiving TE that can sort-of block a little bit, two complete nobodies, and an aging ST guy. 
How is that "stacked?"

As I've said since the draft, I think Lazard is going to the PS, not the TE room, but I definitely see TE as one of the weakest position groups on the team. Not "stacked."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 07:21 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-29-2018, 05:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 06:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We're even more stacked at TE, than we are at WR, so he wouldn't have a chance. I don't think he makes the regular season roster, but I believe he's a lock for the practice squad as a WR.

Cry Really? 

We have one good receiving TE that can sort-of block a little bit, two complete nobodies, and an aging ST guy. 
How is that "stacked?"

As I've said since the draft, I think Lazard is going to the PS, not the TE room, but I definitely see TE as one of the weakest position groups on the team. Not "stacked."

I really like ASJ. Niles Paul has shown the ability to get open consistently in the preseason and O'Shaughnessy has made some key catches as well. I liked the flashes I saw from Ordoff as well. I believe he'll make the PS. IMO, this is the deepest we've been at TE, in years. None of these guys are near the level of Gronk or Travis Kelce, but they don't need to be for this type of offense. For what we need them to be, they are very well suited.

Cry Really? 

How is that "stacked?"

Agreed. It’s been a position that’s been overlooked for a while as far as depth goes. Lazard won’t help there either. He either makes the PS as a WR or doesn’t at all.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(06-19-2018, 10:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 10:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Moncrief has been lighting it up thus far. I've read three articles citing his early chemistry with Bortles.  There's no way other than major injury he's not making this team. I bet he sees 700+ snaps as the X receiver in 2018 if he's healthy. 

The assumption of Greene or Mickens as the only options at returner is unwise  - as Westbrook is a great returner, Lee is capable there, and Chark has experience there as well.  Chark took many reps at PR during OTAs reportedly. 

Lazard is almost certainly a PS guy unless things go bad on the injury front. That's my take for what it's worth anyway. 

BB5.to.'Crief
[Image: BB5.2.creef.gif]

Moncrief is basically a faster Allen Robinson (on paper) and we all know how much Bortles loved throwing the ball to Robinson. The only real difference is that Robinson has had a breakout season, while Moncrief has dealt with constant injury bugs (Robinson has had his share as well).

You can go back and look at their combine results and they're almost identical, except for the 40 times.

Robinson - 6'2 and 5/8", 220lbs, 4.60 40, 39" vert, 10'7" broad, 4.00 20 yard shuttle and 7.00 3 cone.

Moncrief - 6'2 and 3/8", 221lbs, 4.40 40, 39 1/2" vert, 11' broad, 4.30 20 yard shuttle and 7.02 3 cone.

----------------------------------------------
If Lazard doesn't have "it", then he doesn't. But on the above metrics he matches up well:
Lazard -
6'5
230 lbs
4.55 / 40
38' vert
Maybe not "explosive", but he's not slow. Some guys just don't look the part but manage to get it done.
He was a proven blocker and great in the red zone.
He's previously workes out for multiple teams, it'll be tough to hide him on the PS.

I say let's keep him around and as a WR. I could see him being activated from the practice squad at some point this season. Until then, Keenan will continue to help develop him. Don't forget Tom Coughlin always did a terrific job working with WRs.

My "hope" is we will keep 4 TEs already: Jenkins, O'Shaughnessy, Koyack, and Orndoff. 

Scott has been around since the end of May. I really sense he is going to be a terrific player. You want him on the active roster.

Cry Really? 

How is that "stacked?"

Trashing the TE spot, eh? 

Koyack has done everything the Jaguars have asked of him. He has clutch hands and blocks are well as any TE on the roster. Terrific attitude similar to Ty Hallock.

O'Shaughnessy is a terrific player. He is used as an edge block to jimmy free RB screens, etc. He's tough as nails. Just wait until the Jaguars turn him loose as a seam-busting sprint TE. I have no idea why he reminds me of Jason Babin, but he does?

You better get used to Scott Orndoff. The guy is a solid play-maker in limited space. His TD reception was a healthy dose of 'shock and awe' to all of us and probably stands as the single best reception in camp.

You don't move Lazard. If I am Tom Coughlin, Doug Marrone, or Keenan McCardell I am telling Lazard to bide his time and study all the Ed McCaffrey video he can get his hands on. Ed ran a 4.47 forty in his day. Allen currently runs a 4.55. With a speed coach helping to make him more explosive, Lazard will likely close the gap.

"I liked the flashes I saw from Ordoff as well."

Can't wait to see him piledrive JJ Watt!

[Image: OrangePersonalHellbender-size_restricted.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We are below average at the TE position. People like Koyak and O'Shaughnessy are a dime a dozen.

1 Rob Gronkowski, NE TE
2 Travis Kelce, KC TE
3 Zach Ertz, Phi TE
4 Greg Olsen, Car TE
5 Delanie Walker, Ten TE  Q
6 Evan Engram, NYG TE  Q
7 Jordan Reed, Wsh TE  Q
8 Jimmy Graham, GB TE
9 Jack Doyle, Ind TE
10 Kyle Rudolph, Min TE
11 Charles Clay, Buf TE
12 Trey Burton, Chi TE
13 David Njoku, Cle TE
14 George Kittle, SF TE  Q
15 Vance McDonald, Pit TE  Q
16 Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jax TE
17 Benjamin Watson, NO TE
18 Jared Cook, Oak TE
19 Eric Ebron, Ind TE
20 Austin Hooper, Atl TE
21 Tyler Eifert, Cin TE
22 Cameron Brate, TB TE
23 Ricky Seals-Jones, Ari TE
24 Mike Gesicki, Mia TE
25 O.J. Howard, TB TE
26 Ryan Griffin, Hou TE
27 Hayden Hurst, Bal TE  O
28 Blake Jarwin, Dal TE
29 Virgil Green, LAC TE
30 Luke Willson, Det TE  Q
31 Gerald Everett, LAR TE
32 Vernon Davis, Wsh TE
33 Jake Butt, Den TE

(08-29-2018, 10:40 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 05:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Cry Really? 

How is that "stacked?"

Trashing the TE spot, eh? 

Koyack has done everything the Jaguars have asked of him. He has clutch hands and blocks are well as any TE on the roster. Terrific attitude similar to Ty Hallock.

O'Shaughnessy is a terrific player. He is used as an edge block to jimmy free RB screens, etc. He's tough as nails. Just wait until the Jaguars turn him loose as a seam-busting sprint TE. I have no idea why he reminds me of Jason Babin, but he does?

You better get used to Scott Orndoff. The guy is a solid play-maker in limited space. His TD reception was a healthy dose of 'shock and awe' to all of us and probably stands as the single best reception in camp.
Not trashing anything. Calling it like I see it. 

ASJ is a quality receiving TE. OK as a blocker, but they won't ask the world of him there. He's a red-zone target, a mismatch chess piece for Hackett, and a big body check down at times. A much needed big target for BB5. 

Koyack is just a guy. Good blocker, decent hands, slow as molasses.  Well, maybe not that slow, but slow. 

O'Shaugnessy is a former ST guy that fought his way up the depth chart to earn some offensive snaps. He's got some speed and agility for his size, but his hands are definitely suspect. He's made a handful of nice grabs, but has also dropped a number of contested catches. I don't sense much faith in him from this staff in that regard. He's an incomplete blocker who should be used carefully that way.  

Paul likely makes the roster over Orndoff. Orndoff looks like a solid PS candidate. I'd be very surprised if he makes the 53. He'll probably turn out a bit better than Koyack if given the chance to develop. Not sure he's there yet, but he's shown some glimmer and flash. Maybe they take a flier on him now, but I bet they opt to develop him.