Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cubs Win NLCS

I'm so happy for all those long suffering Cubs fans.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not a cubby, but I felt their pain for a long time as a bosox fan..

Damn that Theo Epstein..

Go cubbys..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs, who are National League champions for the first time since 1945. They beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0 in Game 6 of the NLCS Saturday night. Now they just need to win four more games against the upcoming American League champions to break the curse.

Some miserable Bears fans can say, "We still have the Cubs," because they are not done playing yet. This could be their year.

Congrats to the Cubs fans on your team reaching the World Series.   I think there's a good chance the Cubs will be making several W.S, appearances in the next 10 years,   They have an incredible amount of young position player talent!    As much as I can recall seeing on any team.

Quote:Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs, who are National League champions for the first time since 1945. They beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0 in Game 6 of the NLCS Saturday night. Now they just need to win four more games against the upcoming American League champions to break the curse.

Some miserable Bears fans can say, "We still have the Cubs," because they are not done playing yet. This could be their year.

IMO,  there's never been an effective curse on the Cubs.   They finally have the type of team that has enough Hitting,  Pitching,  and Defense that's good enough to overcome obstacles.

The question now becomes will Russell to Baez to Rizzo erase the 108 years World Champion drought since the days of Tinker to Evers to Chance?    My gut feeling says yes,  though the Indians do have home field advantage and are a deep team.  

The curse was not my idea. I read for years Cubs fans believed the team was cursed because of how long (over a century now) it has been since that team has won a World Championship.

Are you implying Cubs fans want the Indians to lose?

Quote:The curse was not my idea. I read for years Cubs fans believed the team was cursed because of how long (over a century now) it has been since that team has won a World Championship.

Wouldn't the fans of a team want the opposing team to lose? Isn't that the premise behind winning?

Quote:Wouldn't the fans of a team want the opposing team to lose? Isn't that the premise behind winning?

Does Not Compute

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote:Wouldn't the fans of a team want the opposing team to lose? Isn't that the premise behind winning?

Teams have more confidence in themselves than their fans and know what they do is more important than what the opponent does.

I'm not ashamed to say I shed a few tears on Saturday night. I was a 14 year old kid obsessed with the '84 Cubs and watched nearly every game that year and had my first taste of heartbreak when they blew a 2-0 lead to the Padres and lost 3-2.

I was a 33 year old man in '03 when they blew a 3-1 lead and lost to the Marlins. Not because of Bartman but because of an utter implosion.

Throw in playoff disappointments in '89, '98, '07 and '08 and you've had a lifetime of playoff disappointments. I was calling and texting friends and family on Saturday and we were all in shock. My best friend of 28 years recently lost his father who was also a huge Cub fan so it was bittersweet to say the least. The Cubs making the World Series was something I was beginning to wonder about ever happening. It was pure and utter joy when the final out was recorded.

Now if I can just experience the same thing with my Jags...
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

[Image: 14718656_1824043424475900_45286543314938...e=589CE2F9]

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

LOL abouto the Jags part Hendershot.

While you have reasons to be upset about all of those losses, take it into perspective. Seventy years is longer than many human lifetimes. Most Cubs fans were either not born yet or too young to throw baseballs.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2016, 08:54 AM by Deacon.)

Quote:Not a cubby, but I felt their pain for a long time as a bosox fan..

Damn that Theo Epstein..

Go cubbys..

I'm probably gonna get a warning for linking to this since it has naughty language in it, but it's been a while since I've been sent out to cut a switch anyway (Consider that you're warning folks. It's got naughty language!).

I thought it was a great read on Epstein, especially the part about his departure from the Red Sox.

If the Powers That Be come 'round and remove the link, just go to ESPN.com and search "Theo Epstein Mastermind"

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

[Image: 200w.gif#5]

Quote:The curse was not my idea. I read for years Cubs fans believed the team was cursed because of how long (over a century now) it has been since that team has won a World Championship.

The curse wasn't your idea? You don't say?

You're dang right I want the Indians to lose. Four more games.

What a waste of money on one of the most overrated players out there.  But who cares if they win it all?

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:What a <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17885131/kyle-schwarber-chris-coghlan-chicago-cubs-lineup-jason-heyward-out'>waste of money</a> on one of the most overrated players out there. But who cares if they win it all?

His bat has been terrible. I hope to see improvement next year but I'm not holding my breath.

I do like him though and I don't give a damn what we paid him. It's all about these next four games and I'm happy so see Schwarber at DH.

Quote:His bat has been terrible. I hope to see improvement next year but I'm not holding my breath.

I do like him though and I don't give a damn what we paid him. It's all about these next four games and I'm happy so see Schwarber at DH.

What Kyle Schwarber did as DH in Cleveland was historic.  As a hitter,  his future seems extremely bright. 

Both teams in their present form are built for the DH being part of their lineup.   This is even with how well the Cubs pitchers hit this season.    Though the Indians lost a big bat in their lineup in the first 2 games in Chicago and the same will be the case Sunday Night,   the negative impact of the Cubs not having Schwarber is greatly than I thought it would be.   Especially,  with the Indians having right handed starting pitchers.   

The series is far from over,  especially with the Game 5 pitching matchup.   But there's no question the Cubs need a couple of runs early in the game to support Jon Lester.   The longer this game is tied,  the greater the advantage the Indians probably have because of the depth of their bullpen.  On the other hand,   if the Cubs have the lead going into the 8th inning,  I really like their chances in any of the remaining games.

Pretty remarkable what the Indians pitching is doing without their 2nd and 3rd best starter.

And against probably the 3 of the top 5 lineups in the game

Nothing against the Cubs fans at all, but I hope the Indians win. We can't call the Cubs the Lovable Losers anymore if they win and I like calling them the Lovable Losers.

Regards..................the Chiefjag