Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan moved to DE?

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018, 11:58 AM by Deacon.)

I caught the following blurb in Oehser's OTA wrap-up article

"...Bryan reportedly is adapting well after moving to defensive end...."

So is the team's plan to have Bryan eventually take over for Campbell at the Strong Side DE spot? My first impression of him was to replace Jackson at DT / 3 Tech, but in terms of age / time left to play, him being Campbell's replacement makes more sense.

Thoughts? (Ones that involve this topic and not just beer and bewbs)
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-15-2018, 11:48 AM)Deacon Wrote: I caught the following blurb in Oehser's OTA wrap-up article

So is the team's plan to have Bryan eventually take over for Campbell at the Strong Side DE spot? My first impression of him was to replace Jackson, but in terms of age / time left to play, him being Campbell's replacement makes more sense.

Thoughts?

I think he's going to be the steal of the 1st round. He's in a perfect situation and I think he's going to be a stud.

(06-15-2018, 11:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 11:48 AM)Deacon Wrote: I caught the following blurb in Oehser's OTA wrap-up article

So is the team's plan to have Bryan eventually take over for Campbell at the Strong Side DE spot? My first impression of him was to replace Jackson, but in terms of age / time left to play, him being Campbell's replacement makes more sense.

Thoughts?

I think he's going to be the steal of the 1st round. He's in a perfect situation and I think he's going to be a stud.

I sure hope you are right and the comparisons to Watt are legit.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018, 12:54 PM by Caldrac.)

I was hoping to see him treated like Rob Meier as a rookie. Where they line him up all over the place. That could still happen. But in the long run it does make sense to start grooming him behind Campbell. This will keep Campbell more fresh rotation wise and it gives us the ability to potentially part ways with Fowler Jr. after this season is up without feeling the need to re sign him.

Unless he turns into Jevon Kearse in 2018 and we keep him anyway. Which is what I want. =)
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

6'5",290ish,explosive.
A bigger Joey Bosa?

So is the team's plan to have Bryan eventually take over for Campbell at the Strong Side DE spot? My first impression of him was to replace Jackson at DT / 3 Tech, but in terms of age / time left to play, him being Campbell's replacement makes more sense.

Y’all should have paid attention to my pre draft post on this kid. He is JJ Watt lite, and not because he’s white. It would be a disservice to leave him at just DT.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(06-15-2018, 02:58 PM)knarnn Wrote:

Y’all should have paid attention to my pre draft post on this kid. He is JJ Watt lite, and not because he’s white. It would be a disservice to leave him at just DT.

Maybe you ought to wait until the pads go on before you start patting yourself on the back, Deacon.  For all we know at this point, he could be another Derrick Harvey.  We just didn't trade up 18 spots to get him.  (If we waited until our pick to take a DE in the 2008 draft like I wanted we would have had Calais Campbell in his prime). *pat on the back*

(06-15-2018, 02:58 PM)knarnn Wrote:

I expected to see him at both from the beginning as well.

Pure Planet Theory guy.  Rare combination of size and athleticism.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(06-15-2018, 03:54 PM)JaxonJag24 Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 02:58 PM)knarnn Wrote: Y’all should have paid attention to my pre draft post on this kid. He is JJ Watt lite, and not because he’s white. It would be a disservice to leave him at just DT.

Maybe you ought to wait until the pads go on before you start patting yourself on the back, Deacon.  For all we know at this point, he could be another Derrick Harvey.  We just didn't trade up 18 spots to get him.  (If we waited until our pick to take a DE in the 2008 draft like I wanted we would have had Calais Campbell in his prime). *pat on the back*

Maybe I missed where he's patting himself on the back.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018, 05:09 PM by Bullseye.)

In the hallowed message board tradition of throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks/spitballing with little to no basis, what if this was a prelude to trading Fowler, or perhaps a way of suppressing his value, making him more affordable to re-sign?

(06-15-2018, 05:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: In the hallowed message board tradition of throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks/spitballing with little to no basis, what if this was a prelude to trading Fowler, or perhaps a way of suppressing his value, making him more affordable to re-sign?

Whatever's going on, it probably involves trading Bortles.

(06-15-2018, 05:37 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 05:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: In the hallowed message board tradition of throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks/spitballing with little to no basis, what if this was a prelude to trading Fowler, or perhaps a way of suppressing his value, making him more affordable to re-sign?

Laughing

Honestly, regardless of what position he ends up playing in he's going to end up replacing some veteran which is going to save a bunch of money towards the cap.

(06-15-2018, 05:55 PM)DragonFury Wrote: Honestly, regardless of what position he ends up playing in he's going to end up replacing some veteran which is going to save a bunch of money towards the cap.

This is true.

Hopefully, he is such a stud that he could replace either Campbell or Jackson in the lineup and there will be no drop off in performance.  If the comparisons to Watt are legit and he could approximate his level of play at Watt's pre injury peak, we'll have a dominant defense for years to come, even if some guys are cut or forced to leave due to the salary cap.

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018, 08:50 PM by nate.)

(06-15-2018, 02:58 PM)knarnn Wrote: Y’all should have paid attention to my pre draft post on this kid. He is JJ Watt lite, and not because he’s white. It would be a disservice to leave him at just DT.

We saw last year 93 in his prime

madden warriors, UNITE!

We saw last year 93 in his prime

[quote pid='1130934' dateline='1529109944']

(06-15-2018, 05:37 PM)TJBender Wrote: Whatever's going on, it probably involves trading Bortles.

madden warriors, UNITE!

[/quote]

Hey...Madden 19 comes out in August.  It all becomes reality then!

He's getting reps at both spots and I love it.
This staff is op Point with utilizing talent and I look forward to Bryan's development.

(06-15-2018, 10:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's getting reps at both spots and I love it.
This staff is op Point with utilizing talent and I look forward to Bryan's development.

If he could play both spots well, it will give us so much depth and versatility, it would be hard for teams to prepare for the defense.

Imagine having 2-3 guys who could play outside and inside in passing downs (Campbell, Bryan, and maybe Smoot).

Stunts could take on a different dimension with big guys who are strong and physical being able to crash from the outside in.

You could have a power run defensive front of Campbell Dareus Jackson and Bryan.

You could have a four DE lineup of Fowler at LDE, Bryan and Campbell at the DTs and Ngakoue at RE.

So many players could be rotated in and out in so many different ways, guys should almost always be fresh.

I think Taven Bryan and Yannick Ngakoue will be a duo we hear about for a long time

Foolishness. This team needs him as Lee's backup and mentor for 4 years like the last guy.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato