Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
AFC South Addition and Subtraction

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018, 05:34 PM by Bullseye.)

Relax, non math majors.

I am among your ranks...which is what led me to law school, not med school.

But I am, like all of you, a huge football fan, so this should be pretty easy.

Name a player you would take away from each divisional opponent and add to the Jaguars roster.

For those of you with the misfortune of NOT being a Jaguars fan, you could do the same with your team.

I will go in alphabetical order.

Houston Texans-This is a little more challenging than I first thought, because despite their down year last year, they still have a talented roster.  Even if you think J.J. Watt is finished, they still have two excellent pass rushers in Clowney and Mercilus.  However, we are set with outside pass rushers in Yannick Ngakoue, Dante Fowler and you could also count NFL defensive player of the year Calais Campbell.  On top of that, we added Taven Bryan to the mix, and he is now being penciled in at DE.  I think Bernardrick Mckinney and Zach Cunningham are two good young LBs.  But similarly to DE, the Jaguars have good talent at LB with Pro Bowler Telvin Smith, and soon to be Pro Bowler Myles Jack, who would have had the best defensive play in recent NFL postseason history but for a premature whistle.  Not much room for either of those guys.   As a Jaguars fan, I am sorely tempted to say Aaron Colvin to bring him back here.  Another temptation for me would to bring Hopkins here to reunite him with his daddy, Jalen Ramsey.  But my answer here would be DeShaun Watson.  I like what Bortles did last year and it appears thus far he continues to show improvement.  But the limited time Watson had last year was electric.  If he can stay healthy, he has the look of a special player.

Indianapolis Colts-This is not quite as challenging an exercise as it would have been last year.  Last year, the Colts were nearly completely devoid of talent.  Luck was not playing, and they had to make a last minute trade for then Patriots third string QB Jacoby Brissett to bring some semblance of competency back to the QB position.  They really couldn't pass the ball very well or block particularly well.  Defensively, they couldn't stop the run, rush the passer or cover.  This year, however, things are showing signs of changing.  While Luck is still a question mark, I thought the Colts had a pretty good draft, adding two stud guards in Quentin Nelson and Braden Smith.  Not only should their presence allow Luck, Brissett or whomever more protection, but it should enable the Colts to run the ball inside.  To that end, I would subtract rookie G Quentin Nelson from the Colts and add him to the Jaguars, playing him at RG.

Tennessee Tacks-The tacks have a pretty good team.  They swept us last year and made the playoffs, advancing to the second round.  That said, even though they have a decently stacked roster, there aren't too many players on their team I would want to add to the Jaguars.  Delanie Walker would certainly be a consideration.  He has long been a thorn in the Jaguars side, and while undersized, is still a very good TE.  However, he is 33.  For many outside observers, the easy answer would be QB Marcus Mariota.  But at this stage, I am certainly not sold he is a better QB than Bortles.  Perhaps that is attributable to the scheme run by former head coach Mike Mularkey.  Perhaps it is due to the dearth of talent at WR, even though the tacks certainly remain hopeful that Corey Davis will develop into the player they envisioned when they drafted him 5th overall last year.     Though I like how Cam Robinson played overall last year, and I think he will make a good LT for us in the years to come, I think I would take Taylor Lewan, put him in at LT, and move Cam Robinson to the right side, leaving the Jaguars set at OL for the years to come.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Houston - Hopkins
Indy - Hooker
Tenn - Casey

Easier exercise than I initially thought.

Texans: Roster is okay talent-wise, but there are a few options that would improve our roster. For me, it isn't the QB position, it is at LB. I love our LB core but they are missing a MLB that fits a more typical mold. While Mercilus has been an outside backer, his size and speed would be ideal at the middle. We could then keep Jack where he belongs!

Colts: No fluff needed. Nelson needs to fill our RG spot.

Titans: Decent roster but they appear a hodgepodge of talent that doesn't fit one particular scheme. They lack identity. For me, I see no obvious upgrades over what we have. The Mariotta hype train is ridiculous and unwarranted. Byard for nickel maybe? Perhaps Lewan can come in and Robinson slides to RT or vis-a-vis.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(06-17-2018, 10:06 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Houston - Hopkins
Indy - Hooker
Tenn - Casey

My question to you is where do you play Casey?

I agree that he is a heckuva player that gives us fits, but we're loaded at DT.

AS for Hooker, I strongly considered him, but I wondered how his injury would impact his speed.
I also feel we are better off at FS than we are at RG.

(06-17-2018, 12:35 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Easier exercise than I initially thought.

Texans: Roster is okay talent-wise, but there are a few options that would improve our roster. For me, it isn't the QB position, it is at LB. I love our LB core but they are missing a MLB that fits a more typical mold. While Mercilus has been an outside backer, his size and speed would be ideal at the middle. We could then keep Jack where he belongs!

Titans: Decent roster but they appear a hodgepodge of talent that doesn't fit one particular scheme. They lack identity. For me, I see no obvious upgrades over what we have. The Mariotta hype train is ridiculous and unwarranted. Byard for nickel maybe? Perhaps Lewan can come in and Robinson slides to RT or vis-a-vis.

I love Mercilus' talent, but I see him as a pass rusher outside.  I think that would be lost and wasted at MLB.

I considered Conklin to keep Robinson at LT, but given his injury and that Lewan is better at a more important position he got my vote, though I might be convinced Byars would be a better upgrade.

(06-17-2018, 05:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 12:35 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Easier exercise than I initially thought.

I love Mercilus' talent, but I see him as a pass rusher outside.  I think that would be lost and wasted at MLB.

I considered Conklin to keep Robinson at LT, but given his injury and that Lewan is better at a more important position he got my vote, though I might be convinced Byars would be a better upgrade.
I tend to agree on the Mercilus front but talent for talent could he upgrade our MLB?

I'm not sold on Byars just yet. He put up decent numbers last year but most times it looked like he was out of position and found a gift. More of a "right place right time" thing than technical skill. We'll see what he brings this year. He certainly appears to have a high ceiling.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Houston - Give me Clowney. Yes, he may clog the room a bit, but I will always find a way to keep a top tier Defensive Lineman on the roster. You can make him an interior guy on early downs and put him on the edge late. Or go the other way. Regardless, he is a weapon that can be put to great use by any Defensive Coach with half a brain.

Indianapolis - Since I won't have to draft him Top Ten overall, give me Nelson to play OG. I'm not really certain if there is anyone else I want from that team. With him, we are probably talking about a Dallas-esque Oline here.

Tennessee - In a toss-up between Adoree Jackson and Avery Williamson... Give me Jackson. Can't have too many Defensive Backs.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

HOU: Hopkins. Not going to restate what everyone has already said about him.
IND: Nelson, just because I doubt the talent on that team at nearly every other spot.
TEN: Mariota, just because I am a butthead and want to keep him on the bench and force the tacks to start Gabbert.

I expected to see TY Hilton in there somewhere ... A Colts player to watch this coming season is Marlon Mack. Another is Erik Swoope, but the Colts are somewhat stacked at TE (if there were a position considered stacked on the Colts roster), so he may not get the ball as often as he would have last year (IR).

Of course I would take Ramsey from the Jags (no brainier), although the Jags would probably suffer more if they lost Calais Campbell. He is the most irreplaceable (IMO).

Whitney Mercilus ... I think he makes players around him better, and the Colts need help at LB.

Taylor Lewan ... Colts need better players to keep Luck upright (and they have better players going into 2018). I could have probably picked Conklin (because the Colts RT position has been abysmal), except for the ACL injury.

(06-24-2018, 05:21 PM)Sammy Wrote: I expected to see TY Hilton in there somewhere ... A Colts player to watch this coming season is Marlon Mack. Another is Erik Swoope, but the Colts are somewhat stacked at TE (if there were a position considered stacked on the Colts roster), so he may not get the ball as often as he would have last year (IR).

Of course I would take Ramsey from the Jags (no brainier), although the Jags would probably suffer more if they lost Calais Campbell. He is the most irreplaceable (IMO).

Whitney Mercilus ... I think he makes players around him better, and the Colts need help at LB.

Taylor Lewan ... Colts need better players to keep Luck upright (and they have better players going into 2018). I could have probably picked Conklin (because the Colts RT position has been abysmal), except for the ACL injury.

Whoa!  Talk about a blast from the past!  Welcome back.

Hilton is a good WR, but to me, he would be best as a slot WR, and functionally he isn't much different fromt he guys we already have here at WR.  Mack is a nice back, and he has some explosiveness.  But we are already set at the position with LF, Yeldon and Grant.

Regarding Mercilus. I would think since you guys are switching to a 4-3, you'd take Mercilus to be a pass rushing DE, not a LB.  You aren't exactly loaded with pass rushers.

From the jags, i would take ramsey. You know he wants to play for the tacks anyway. #hometowndiscount

Texans its the hopkins fellow. Maybe mike vrabel. Oh wait...

Colts roster is as generic as i've ever seen. Guess i put T.Y. on the tacks.

Although i think you guys will see this season, that roster of the tacks is pretty good

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2018, 01:48 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

(06-24-2018, 09:47 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: From the jags, i would take ramsey. You know he wants to play for the tacks anyway. #hometowndiscount

Although i think you guys will see this season, that roster of the tacks is pretty good

Lol, I CAN NOT WAIT to hear what you have to say in about 6 months.  Big Grin

I'd take Derrick Henry. Could you imagine a one-two of Fournette and Henry?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

[Short paragraph respectively explaining why Deshaun Watson has GOT to be Jaguars only pick.]

[Reply to paragraphs explaining that Bortles is "really improving" and that Watson "will never play again."]

[Chuckles, and does not reply.]

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2018, 05:45 PM by Caldrac.)

I would take Hopkins at WR from the tinhorns. He's produced over the last few years with really nobody at QB until recently with Watson. It would also be cool seeing Hopkins lined-up in practice against his father. Jalen Ramsey.

I would take Doyle at TE from the clots. Over the past two seasons he's turned into a respectable receiving threat at his position despite a poor line and weak QB play.

And then lastly with the tacks I am taking Lewan at LT. He's mean. 2x Pro-Bowler now in back-to-back years. I would kick Robinson over to RT and try to move Parnell inside to replace Cann. That's a MEAN line with Linder and Norwell inside as well.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2018, 05:51 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

Jalen Ramsey is not Hopkins' father..I don't see how that fallacy gets thrown around here.

(06-25-2018, 05:50 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Jalen Ramsey is not Hopkins' father..I don't see how that fallacy gets thrown around here.

In related news, jalen ramseys dad lives up here in tackyvalley...

(06-25-2018, 01:46 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 09:47 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: From the jags, i would take ramsey. You know he wants to play for the tacks anyway. #hometowndiscount

Lol, I CAN NOT WAIT to hear what you have to say in about 6 months.  Big Grin

You mean when the tacks are resting starters for the playoffs? Yeah i think a team needs momentum going in, regardless of their lead in the division..

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2018, 07:36 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-25-2018, 06:42 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 05:50 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Jalen Ramsey is not Hopkins' father..I don't see how that fallacy gets thrown around here.

In related news, jalen ramseys dad lives up here in tackyvalley...

Fortunately for us, he doesn't play for the tacks, especially at WR!

Banana

(06-25-2018, 06:48 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 01:46 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Lol, I CAN NOT WAIT to hear what you have to say in about 6 months.  Big Grin

You mean when the tacks are resting starters for the playoffs draft position?

FIFY

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2018, 07:44 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-19-2018, 09:02 AM)Deacon Wrote: Houston - Give me Clowney. Yes, he may clog the room a bit, but I will always find a way to keep a top tier Defensive Lineman on the roster. You can make him an interior guy on early downs and put him on the edge late. Or go the other way. Regardless, he is a weapon that can be put to great use by any Defensive Coach with half a brain.

Indianapolis - Since I won't have to draft him Top Ten overall, give me Nelson to play OG. I'm not really certain if there is anyone else I want from that team. With him, we are probably talking about a Dallas-esque Oline here.

Tennessee - In a toss-up between Adoree Jackson and Avery Williamson... Give me Jackson. Can't have too many Defensive Backs.

I could see a Clowney choice.

Indy?  We couldn't have had Nelson, but a close second would have been Will Hernandez. 

Sigh...

(06-18-2018, 05:09 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 05:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I love Mercilus' talent, but I see him as a pass rusher outside.  I think that would be lost and wasted at MLB.

I tend to agree on the Mercilus front but talent for talent could he upgrade our MLB?

I'm not sold on Byars just yet. He put up decent numbers last year but most times it looked like he was out of position and found a gift. More of a "right place right time" thing than technical skill. We'll see what he brings this year. He certainly appears to have a high ceiling.

I guess it depends on what you think of Myles Jack.  I think the world of Myles Jack, so my answer would be no.

But if you thought Myles Jack won't succeed at MLB, then I suppose you might argue Mercilus would be better.

But in that instance, I would rather take one of their ILBs, most notably McKinney.