Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mariota - Year 4

Mariota has been a very hot topic on this board for a few years.  We are about to watch his 4th year in the league.  What do you expect from Mariota?

1)  Will he recover from last year and build upon his solid sophomore season?  

- He had a really rough year last year.  While I do not think it means he is doomed to fail, it will be interesting to see how he responds. 

2)  Has the league figured him out?  Will he continue to regress as a result?

- Did his bad season have to do with limited ability/ league scheming against his weaknesses or some other reason?

3)  Is he just a middle of the pack QB who can win / lose at any time.  Good for 7-10 wins a year depending on what is going on around him?

- This is the one I think is most likely.  This is not a knock on him but rather that there are very few great QBs, a few bad ones and a bunch of average ones. if you can get a guy in this range you can still win. If you look at his career average numbers per season (completion %, Rating, Y/A or Y/C, Int %) he averages around what Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco and brace yourselves, David Garrard did per year.  Again, not a knock.  All 3 of those guys have had a lot of success in the league (Flacco won a Super Bowl and Garrard madea nice playoff run) but at the end of the day they were middle of the road guys.

4)  Does the new coaching staff elevate his game (or unleash it assuming it was hindered under Mularky?)

- This is also a very curious situation.  Was he held back by Mularky?  I am sure that a lot of Titans fans feel this way, but it is possible that MM was working with a limited repertoire and did what he could with what he had?  It is also possible that Mularky was too stubborn to change and adjust (we saw that here in Jax.) 

What do you think?  Also, let's be civil about it.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think he performs about the same as he did last year or maybe slightly better. I think him and Winston have pretty much capped out in the NFL. I don't see either of those guys getting much better. He's not a great QB and he can win/lose at any time. Just like our boy Blake.

Mularkey was very conservative though. It was enough to get them into the play-offs two or three times but in order to really flourish in the play-offs you have to take the training wheels off and gamble more often to win against the truly great QB's that you know you'll end up facing in the play-offs. Maybe Vrabel has that killer instinct. We'll see.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-19-2018, 12:15 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think he performs about the same as he did last year or maybe slightly better. I think him and Winston have pretty much capped out in the NFL. I don't see either of those guys getting much better. He's not a great QB and he can win/lose at any time. Just like our boy Blake.

Mularkey was very conservative though. It was enough to get them into the play-offs two or three times but in order to really flourish in the play-offs you have to take the training wheels off and gamble more often to win against the truly great QB's that you know you'll end up facing in the play-offs. Maybe Vrabel has that killer instinct. We'll see.

Garrard is a good comparison. He's not a game changer, he's not even as good as Bortles, who could be a real winner with the right coaching, but games can be won with him at QB.

This year I expect he'll resume what he's always done, get stats that leave the fans thinking he's just about to break out with something like 20 TDs, 10 ints, and all the analytics sites saying he's another Brady waiting to break out.

If titans fans are unlucky he'll get injured early and won't have a chance to show he's not their guy, then they'll have to franchise him or something.

With the new offensive approach instituted by LaFleur (formerly of the Rams), there is a chance Mariota can find a greater degree of success than he has previously had, but the lack of a stud WR and the likely early absenceof Conklin could hinder him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Mule head Muarkey is gone. Without a doubt he handicapped the offense last season. He refused to adjust. Same old crap week after week.
Mariota will have a breakout season with lafleur. I feel it in my bones.

(06-21-2018, 12:58 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Mule head Muarkey is gone. Without a doubt he handicapped the offense last season. He refused to adjust. Same old crap week after week.

That's just arthritis...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-21-2018, 08:21 AM)Rico Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 12:58 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Mule head Muarkey is gone. Without a doubt he handicapped the offense last season. He refused to adjust. Same old crap week after week.

That's just arthritis...

Could be. I do think that the tacks have made all the right decisions here lately. Years ago, mularkey would have been awarded for that playoff win in k.c. that he had nothing to do with. He watched mariota win that game then handcuffed him again the following week. He had to go

Going out on a limb.. mariota has an mvp season

He will remain soft as

[Image: 1387054069409.jpeg]
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(06-22-2018, 12:10 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Going out on a limb.. mariota has an mvp season

Yeah... sure...
that limb must be the only one on your family tree amirite?
#nashvillejokes
#inbredhillbillies

i joke, i kid...
sorta..

He seems like an average QB (pocket) with some great mobility and he can do some special things on the run. However, he is somewhat limited by his arm in the deep passing game, and he seems prone to injury.

I think he will have a long career with mixed success and multiple heartbreaking injuries.

(06-23-2018, 08:36 AM)rufftime Wrote: He seems like an average QB (pocket) with some great mobility and he can do some special things on the run.  However, he is somewhat limited by his arm in the deep passing game, and he seems prone to injury.  

I think he will have a long career with mixed success and multiple heartbreaking injuries.
Here in lies the issue with Mariota. He has shown flashes in the RPO game, flashes with deep ball touch, flashes in extending plays, flashes with good decision making (red zone), but he has never been able to put it all together. The tacks like to blame coaching but going on 4 years coaches have failed to nail down just what kind of QB Mariota is. In my opion his strength is the option game like in Oregon but the problem there is his body can’t take the abuse when bigger and faster players are able to catch him. So how do you use him? That will be a career long question.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(06-21-2018, 10:51 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 08:21 AM)Rico Wrote: That's just arthritis...

Could be. I do think that the tacks have made all the right decisions here lately. Years ago, mularkey would have been awarded for that playoff win in k.c. that he had nothing to do with. He watched mariota win that game then handcuffed him again the following week. He had to go

lol Mariota didn't win that game. Henry did. Mariota threw a GOD AWFUL pass into 3 defenders that luckily got batted right back to him. That was pure luck on his part and laziness on KC. Not to mention the Triplette odd "forward progress on a strip sack" call which was..... something.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(06-23-2018, 09:34 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 10:51 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Could be. I do think that the tacks have made all the right decisions here lately. Years ago, mularkey would have been awarded for that playoff win in k.c. that he had nothing to do with. He watched mariota win that game then handcuffed him again the following week. He had to go

lol Mariota didn't win that game. Henry did. Mariota threw a GOD AWFUL pass into 3 defenders that luckily got batted right back to him. That was pure luck on his part and laziness on KC. Not to mention the Triplette odd "forward progress on a strip sack" call which was..... something.

I'm not sure what the chiefs' deal is, but they're the only team I can imagine managing to lose that way, it's just what they do.

(06-23-2018, 05:44 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(06-23-2018, 09:34 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: lol Mariota didn't win that game. Henry did. Mariota threw a GOD AWFUL pass into 3 defenders that luckily got batted right back to him. That was pure luck on his part and laziness on KC. Not to mention the Triplette odd "forward progress on a strip sack" call which was..... something.

I'm not sure what the chiefs' deal is, but they're the only team I can imagine managing to lose that way, it's just what they do.

I think that's why they never fell in love with Alex Smith and traded up for Patrick MaHomes. That kid has a arm and throws one of the best deep ball in the league. Any Reid is a excellent coach and one thing he can do is coach QBs. It might not be this season due to lack of experience, but MaHomes will give them a higher potential level than Alex Smith ever could.

(06-23-2018, 09:34 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 10:51 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Could be. I do think that the tacks have made all the right decisions here lately. Years ago, mularkey would have been awarded for that playoff win in k.c. that he had nothing to do with. He watched mariota win that game then handcuffed him again the following week. He had to go

Yeah i thought this when i posted it. The henry part. However, mariota was pretty good that 2nd half. Lucky too. Point was, mularkey was a horrible game manager.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2018, 04:04 PM by Nashville.Dave.)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-mvp-odds/

Looks like everyone expects Mariota to have an mvp season. Pretty good odds
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(06-26-2018, 04:02 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-mvp-odds/

Are you damaged?  "Everyone expects Mariota to have a MVP season".. Yeah, except there are 17 players with better odds..who happen to ALL BE QBs. Lol, hell two QBs in his own division have better odds.

I actually do think Mariota has a major bounce back year if he can stay healthy. No one was a bigger mismatch for their offensive scheme than Mariota was last year.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2018, 08:35 PM by Nashville.Dave.)

(06-26-2018, 06:45 PM)Upper Wrote: I actually do think Mariota has a major bounce back year if he can stay healthy. No one was a bigger mismatch for their offensive scheme than Mariota was last year.

Yes. Staying healthy will be key. Building a scheme around him should prove if he is worthy of his next contract or not

(06-26-2018, 06:28 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 04:02 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-mvp-odds/

Are you damaged?  "Everyone expects Mariota to have a MVP season".. Yeah, except there are 17 players with better odds..who happen to ALL BE QBs. Lol, hell two QBs in his own division have better odds.

Yes but after last season, the fact that mariota has odds that put him in the midst of all the qb's shows that he is expected to have a monster year.
There are alot of qb's on down the list who many would say are so much better than mariota.