Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could a Trade Be in the Works for Josh Garnett?

Guard Joshua Garnett miscast in 49ers front

https://frsfootball.com/nfl/49ers/guard-...ers-front/

Another potential fit for Garnett if San Francisco started making calls? The Jacksonville Jaguars. The team’s smash mouth approach would be a better true fit for Garnett than Miami’s inside zone heavy attack, and starting guard A.J. Cann is entering the final year of his contract with the team in 2018. The Jaguars, like the Dolphins, upgraded at guard already this year, signing former Carolina stud Andrew Norwell to a huge contract to play between Brandon Linder and Cam Robinson. Putting Garnett’s raw power at the other spot would be a pretty imposing proposition. Provided Garnett is back to 100%, he’s an upgrade in athleticism over Cann as well.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Verdana]The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows believes 2016 first-round OG Josh Garnett is the "most prominent player in danger of being cut" by the 49ers.[/font]

He was the 28th overall pick in the 2016 draft and sat out all of last year following a knee scope and conditioning issues. The new regime doesn't seem to be a huge fan of Garnett, who was ex-coach Chip Kelly's final first-round selection in San Fran. Garnett is competing with veteran Mike Person and fellow former first-round bust Jonathan Cooper for spots on the Niners' offensive line. Jun 20 - 11:30 AM

FUN FACT:

Pat Flaherty, the Jags Oline coach was the 49er's oline coach when Garnett was drafted by the 49ers in 2016.

Is Garnett an upgrade over Cann? 

Cann in his final rookie contract year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Who?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

The problem with him is that he simply hasn't played enough. He has just 11 starts to his name as a rookie and he missed all of last year. I don't really know much about him. But with him being a former first round pick I don't know what the asking price would be for him. Probably better off just riding it out with A.J Cann.

It's a shame we lost Patrick Omameh to the Giants this off-season. I really liked him. Felt he would have been better at Cann's spot paired up with Linder and Norwell.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

You know, the guy from Black Hawk Down

[Image: 00306e518108471539f9306ee6d21ad9-700.jpg]
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I liked Garnett coming out of college, but there simply isn't enough evidence to say whether he would be better or worse than Cann. He just doesn't have enough pro starts under his belt to form an opinion.

Flaherty will be the key here. If he is really high on Garnett and the price is right they might make a move.

well it says he's the "most prominent player in danger of being cut" by the 49ers." so et them hit cut him then snag him

No way would Josh Garnett be worth more than a 6th round pick.

(06-23-2018, 07:07 AM)Stigma Wrote: No way would Josh Garnett be worth more than a 6th round pick.

That's what I was thinking. Remember that Gabbert was traded for a 7th and was a former first rounder. Especially considering they might otherwise cut him, I can totally see them trading him for a 6th or 7th. The other thought is to wait to see if they cut him, although that probably doesn't happen until the final round of cuts after the 3rd Preseason game. If he were to get here that late, he'd have some big-time catching up to do in a hurry.
'02

Trade for a conditional pick, based on making the roster and playing time.

(06-23-2018, 08:16 AM)iapetus Wrote: Trade for a conditional pick, based on making the roster and playing time.

Yep, makes the most sense, although we may have already conditionally traded our 7th rd to Cleveland for Kessler (QB) to Browns.

(06-23-2018, 02:37 PM)Stigma Wrote:
(06-23-2018, 08:16 AM)iapetus Wrote: Trade for a conditional pick, based on making the roster and playing time.

Yep, makes the most sense, although we may have already conditionally traded our 7th rd to Cleveland for Kessler (QB) to Browns.

If Kessler is as bad as reported then he'll be cut and we keep the pick. Maybe do it sooner rather than later and move it to SF instead.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Not sure, but I thought the Jags got a 7th Rd pick for Luke Bowanko from the Ravens.

(06-25-2018, 08:48 AM)Stigma Wrote: Not sure, but I thought the Jags got a 7th Rd pick for Luke Bowanko from the Ravens.

Yeah we did, but seeing as he's now on the Patriots roster I'm wondering if the pick was conditional.
'02

(06-25-2018, 09:15 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 08:48 AM)Stigma Wrote: Not sure, but I thought the Jags got a 7th Rd pick for Luke Bowanko from the Ravens.

Yeah we did, but seeing as he's now on the Patriots roster I'm wondering if the pick was conditional.

I would guess that his being in 16 games and starting 1 for the Ravens would satisfy a condition to the trade.  I doubt the condition was the number of games starting, but rather a games played or on the roster type of condition.

(06-25-2018, 09:15 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

Mike Kaye confirmed the Jaguars are still getting the 2019 7th round pick from the Bowanko trade even if he's now on the NE roster. Good.

OMG .... I thought they noted that he was competing with Mike Pearson, not Mike Person. I'm thinking ... please don't tell me that Mike Freaking Pearson is competing for a starting job in San Fran. LOL

(06-25-2018, 10:11 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: OMG .... I thought they noted that he was competing with Mike Pearson, not Mike Person.  I'm thinking ... please don't tell me that Mike Freaking Pearson is competing for a starting job in San Fran.   LOL

Baby Bo!  We've got a Baby Boselli sighting!
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

For a conditional pick that could be as low as nothing if he's cut or as high as a fifth if he starts every game, sure. Or if we do the whole, "This guy's not gonna make my team and that guy's not gonna make your team, but I like your guy and you like mine so let's trade them" thing, that works too.

Why aren't we hearing more about Shatley? I know the coaching staff has been high on him since day one, and with Cann seemingly not a priority for the team, why not give Shatley a chance at the starting job?