Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Texans moving veteran CB Kareem Jackson to safety

Texans moving veteran CB Kareem Jackson to safety

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-to-safety

After starting more than 100 games over eight seasons at cornerback, Kareem Jackson is transitioning to a new position in the Houston Texans' secondary.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I met his whole family at a Jags game once(Hail Mary game), great people and very proud of him.

I was never sold on him as a shut down CB, which is typically what you envision for a CB drafted in the first round.

This move makes a ton of sense, especially in light of Andre Hal's unfortunate diagnosis.

I think physically, he is more of a fit at S, especially in light of his age and time in the league.

He knows the defense, having spent years in the scheme. His knowledge of the scheme will help newcomers like Colvin and Mathieu transition and mitigate any mistakes due to inexperience.

Now such a move could have myriad repercussions as it pertains to rookie 3rd round pick S Eric Reid.

From a positive perspective for the Texans, it would enable him to develop slowly if necessary and preclude them from rushing him into the lineup before he is ready. As I indicated earlier, that might lessen the likelihood of blown coverages and other mental errors a rookie might make.

By the same token, it could theoretically slow Reid's development if a coach is loathe to play rookies. Alternatively, this move could portend Jackson's eventual release if Reid is ready and the coaches have no qualms about playing him early.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2018, 07:54 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

(07-13-2018, 06:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I was never sold on him as a shut down CB, which is typically what you envision for a CB drafted in the first round.

This move makes a ton of sense, especially in light of Andre Hal's unfortunate diagnosis.

I think physically, he is more of a fit at S, especially in light of his age and time in the league.

He knows the defense, having spent years in the scheme.  His knowledge of the scheme will help newcomers like Colvin and Mathieu transition and mitigate any mistakes due to inexperience.

Now such a move could have myriad repercussions as it pertains to rookie 3rd round pick S Eric Reid.

From a positive perspective for the Texans, it would enable him to develop slowly if necessary and preclude them from rushing him into the lineup before he is ready.  As I indicated earlier, that might lessen the likelihood of blown coverages and other mental errors a rookie might make.

By the same token, it could theoretically slow Reid's development if a coach is loathe to play rookies.  Alternatively, this move could portend Jackson's eventual release if Reid is ready and the coaches have no qualms about playing him early.

Jackson has already been playing snaps at safety. Now that Hal is out he'll simply pick up more of the workload. (However, he's still going to play some corner) Also in this system you need three quality safeties..there will still be plenty of snaps for Reid. Both Jackson and Mathieu can drop in and cover the slot when need be also.

(07-13-2018, 07:52 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 06:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I was never sold on him as a shut down CB, which is typically what you envision for a CB drafted in the first round.

He knows the defense, having spent years in the scheme.  His knowledge of the scheme will help newcomers like Colvin and Mathieu transition and mitigate any mistakes due to inexperience.

From a positive perspective for the Texans, it would enable him to develop slowly if necessary and preclude them from rushing him into the lineup before he is ready.  As I indicated earlier, that might lessen the likelihood of blown coverages and other mental errors a rookie might make.

By the same token, it could theoretically slow Reid's development if a coach is loathe to play rookies.  Alternatively, this move could portend Jackson's eventual release if Reid is ready and the coaches have no qualms about playing him early.

Jackson has already been playing snaps at safety. Now that Hal is out he'll simply pick up more of the workload. (However, he's still going to play some corner) Also in this system you need three quality safeties..there will still be plenty of snaps for Reid. Both Jackson and Mathieu can drop in and cover the slot when need be also.
Thanks for the info.

Even with the new information, my overall point that he's a better fit at S and that it represents a good move for the Texans remains.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!