Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Payrolls Seen Rising 195K, Unemployment Holds at 3.8% Despite Trade War

Payrolls Seen Rising 195K, Unemployment Holds at 3.8% Despite Trade War

President Donald Trump’s global trade war is posing a growing risk to the kind of robust job gains that the U.S. probably enjoyed again in June.

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/streetta...id/869775/

You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Tarifs will start being felt after the mid-term elections. I really hope they find a way to freer trade. They will potentially undo the tax cuts with tariff hits. I appreciate the overall job but not the free trade parts.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I don't think Trump is going to win the trade war with China. China has the money and means to withstand the storm. It'd no doubt hurt their economy too, but I think both side know that it'll come down to who is willing to hold out longer. China will win that one. Trump is smart enough to take something if it lasts too long, so if they offer tens of billions to offset the existing deficit then he may take it.

I do think he can win any trade wars with European countries and Canada, however.

I think long term, the tarrif “war” will subside with China coming back to the table. All signs are they are already feeling it with exports way down and business defaults escalating rapidly. As much as the US like to chase the debt to revenue ebb and flow, China has massive debt in country and around the world. They are not cash heavy. Unless countries shift to support China in all this, they will bend/break first.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2018, 09:38 PM by copycat.)

(07-03-2018, 05:08 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Tarifs will start being felt after the mid-term elections.  I really hope they find a way to freer trade.  They will potentially undo the tax cuts with tariff hits.  I appreciate the overall job but not the free trade parts.

I may be wrong here but the basic idea of tariffs is to level the playing field and protect the country that is enacting them's economy.  Granted much has changed due to technology and the global market but the concept is still the same; Protect American jobs/workers.  How do you complete when the pay in country X is $5 a day and your  country is paying $7 and hour?  

If I am not mistaken the goal in raising tariffs is to bring jobs that have left the country back to the USA.  Granted the price of goods will go up but "IF" things go as planned so will employment and job opportunity which should lead to higher wages.  

I get the risk but is there not also a potential for reward?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-03-2018, 09:30 PM)copycat Wrote: I get the risk but is there not also a potential for reward?

Hey, what are you doing?
This is a political forum, there is no room for common sense here.
Signature goes here.

It won't even come down to an all out trade "war", but I am proud of Trump for having a backbone and not letting us get boar-hogged anymore. One thing I have learned about our POTUS is he asks for 500% of what he really wants and settles on 100%.

Companies like Harley Davidson who are unnecessarily panicking and threatening to move their production overseas are morons. They may as well close the company if they are going to resort to that.

Maybe we should just stop listening to the Merchants of Despair on the Left. They can't solve anything with their diseased ideology, hell, they can't even figure out which bathroom to use or why boys beat girls in athletic events. Should we give credence to their evil?

As old Confucius would say, "Leftist who say it cannot be done should not interrupt President doing it."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-05-2018, 09:19 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Maybe we should just stop listening to the Merchants of Despair on the Left. They can't solve anything with their diseased ideology, hell, they can't even figure out which bathroom to use or why boys beat girls in athletic events. Should we give credence to their evil?

As old Confucius would say, "Leftist who say it cannot be done should not interrupt President doing it."

Logical people would propose a solution for every problem.

The left, however, proposes a problem for every solution.

Lesson in there.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(07-05-2018, 10:32 AM)pirkster Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 09:19 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Maybe we should just stop listening to the Merchants of Despair on the Left. They can't solve anything with their diseased ideology, hell, they can't even figure out which bathroom to use or why boys beat girls in athletic events. Should we give credence to their evil?

Logical people would propose a solution for every problem.

Lesson in there.

I'm glad that one of us finds forming an identity around fallacious straw men so emotionally satisfying.  You do you, bud.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-05-2018, 10:57 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 10:32 AM)pirkster Wrote: Logical people would propose a solution for every problem.

Lesson in there.

I'm glad that one of us finds forming an identity around fallacious straw men so emotionally satisfying.  You do you, bud.

Don't you have 4 paragraphs of bull droppings to offload somewhere?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-05-2018, 10:57 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 10:32 AM)pirkster Wrote: Logical people would propose a solution for every problem.

Lesson in there.

Liberalism is a sour, defeatist, destructive mindset based on victimization.  There's absolutely nothing "progressive" about it.  A toxic cult of negativity and decay.

Which fully illustrates it's need to rely in deception to attract and enslave their followers.  Manufacturing outrage into a tool of emotional slavery.

#WalkAway is a promising movement.  Their inspirational stories remind me of why I did as well.  It simply does not stand up to the scrutiny of reality.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2018, 02:02 PM by mikesez.)

(07-05-2018, 01:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 10:57 AM)mikesez Wrote: I'm glad that one of us finds forming an identity around fallacious straw men so emotionally satisfying.  You do you, bud.

Don't you have 4 paragraphs of bull droppings to offload somewhere?

Nah, the swines ate my pearls.  It'll be a little while before more are revealed.

(07-05-2018, 01:35 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 10:57 AM)mikesez Wrote: I'm glad that one of us finds forming an identity around fallacious straw men so emotionally satisfying.  You do you, bud.

Liberalism is a sour, defeatist, destructive mindset based on victimization.  There's absolutely nothing "progressive" about it.  A toxic cult of negativity and decay.

Which fully illustrates it's need to rely in deception to attract and enslave their followers.  Manufacturing outrage into a tool of emotional slavery.

#WalkAway is a promising movement.  Their inspirational stories remind me of why I did as well.  It simply does not stand up to the scrutiny of reality.

Right, if you define liberalism that way, as a unified thing with those qualities, everything else you say logically follows.
Problem: people who actually identify as liberal wouldn't define liberalism that way. In fact, they would offer many very different definitions, including some that conflict with each other, if you asked.

(07-05-2018, 01:57 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 01:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Don't you have 4 paragraphs of bull droppings to offload somewhere?

Nah, the swines ate my pearls.  It'll be a little while before more are revealed.

(07-05-2018, 01:35 PM)pirkster Wrote: Liberalism is a sour, defeatist, destructive mindset based on victimization.  There's absolutely nothing "progressive" about it.  A toxic cult of negativity and decay.

Right, if you define liberalism that way, as a unified thing with those qualities, everything else you say logically follows.
Problem: people who actually identify as liberal wouldn't define liberalism that way. In fact, they would offer many very different definitions, including some that conflict with each other, if you asked.

I hear progress.

You're admitting liberalism relies on self-created "reality" and is not reality based at all.

It's like clothing.  It's worn for appeal/signal to others.  Appearance.  Its fluidity changes according to whatever is "in" and acceptable to the collective.  It's a foundation of shifting sand, not based on solid principles.  Changing targets.  Changing definitions.  Arguments over the definitions of things that are self evident (such as the word "is.")

(07-05-2018, 02:44 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 01:57 PM)mikesez Wrote: Nah, the swines ate my pearls.  It'll be a little while before more are revealed.

I hear progress.

You're admitting liberalism relies on self-created "reality" and is not reality based at all.

It's like clothing.  It's worn for appeal/signal to others.  Appearance.  Its fluidity changes according to whatever is "in" and acceptable to the collective.  It's a foundation of shifting sand, not based on solid principles.  Changing targets.  Changing definitions.  Arguments over the definitions of things that are self evident (such as the word "is.")

You have badly misunderstood me.
I am admitting that there are different, conflicting things that different people call "liberalism." For this reason, neither of us really get to say anything definitive about it.  We have to be more specific.  But if there was going to be a definitive definition of liberalism, I'd expect it to come from people who identify as liberals, not people who don't. 
Affirm what you believe.  Ask what others believe.  Don't define your own beliefs as opposition to what you think others believe.

As you wish. Sometimes we forget those we attempt to help, do not want help and do not seek growth.

(07-05-2018, 03:48 PM)pirkster Wrote: As you wish.  Sometimes we forget those we attempt to help, do not want help and do not seek growth.

I'm always seeking help and growth and I hope you are too.
In that spirit, if you're genuinely concerned that too many people approach politics and something that is like fashion and about feelings, and you genuinely wish to help such people, challenge them with questions. Ask, "did your own experience teach you that this was true? Did you deduce that this was true from facts that you observed? Or do you just want to appear in fashion? or did somebody who may not be trustworthy and may not have your best interest at heart manipulate your emotions until you believe this?"

if those are your concerns those are the questions you should be asking first of yourself and then of others.

(07-05-2018, 01:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Don't you have 4 paragraphs of bull droppings to offload somewhere?

What you thought were pearls were actually just toadstools growing in the fertilizer.

(07-05-2018, 01:35 PM)pirkster Wrote: Liberalism is a sour, defeatist, destructive mindset based on victimization.  There's absolutely nothing "progressive" about it.  A toxic cult of negativity and decay.

But that was not a definition, but an observation. Can you name a Progressive politician who does not base a significant part of his/her rhetoric on victimization?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2018, 10:30 AM by pirkster.)

(07-05-2018, 05:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 03:48 PM)pirkster Wrote: As you wish.  Sometimes we forget those we attempt to help, do not want help and do not seek growth.

I'm always seeking help and growth and I hope you are too.
In that spirit, if you're genuinely concerned that too many people approach politics and something that is like fashion and about feelings, and you genuinely wish to help such people, challenge them with questions. Ask, "did your own experience teach you that this was true? Did you deduce that this was true from facts that you observed? Or do you just want to appear in fashion? or did somebody who may not be trustworthy and may not have your best interest at heart manipulate your emotions until you believe this?"

if those are your concerns those are the questions you should be asking first of yourself and then of others.

It's quite common for those who have experienced being duped and have survived it, to try to help others they find to be in the same peril.

I've been there and back again.  If you're satisfied in your cocoon, then it's natural for you to have settled where you find comfort and seek to preserve it by shutting out the outside.

One of the things asked of jurors and debaters is to adopt the opposite side.  Argue for them.  I've lived that inside and outside the courtroom.  If you're brave enough, you might try it yourself.  I think you'd find it very insightful and life changing.