Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Training Camp

12 days until rookies report.  19 until veteran's report.  

While this has been the shortest off season in some time, due the the enthusiasm it has been one of the longest.  I am so stoked for this season!  With that said, what are your expectations in camp?  What position/player are you looking at?  What hopes?  Expectations?

As for me, biased as I may be, I am looking forward to seeing if Blair Brown can become the player I think he can be.  Also looking forward to seeing how much BB5 has grown this off season.  After the playoff run his confidence should be through the roof!

What say you?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-06-2018, 09:34 PM)copycat Wrote: 12 days until rookies report.  19 until veteran's report.  

While this has been the shortest off season in some time, due the the enthusiasm it has been one of the longest.  I am so stoked for this season!  With that said, what are your expectations in camp?  What position/player are you looking at?  What hopes?  Expectations?

As for me, biased as I may be, I am looking forward to seeing if Blair Brown can become the player I think he can be.  Also looking forward to seeing how much BB5 has grown this off season.  After the playoff run his confidence should be through the roof!

What say you?
I want to see how Myles Jack adjusts to the Mike.  As you recall, he struggled with the adjustment last year.  Hopefully with another year in the scheme under his belt, he will be more comfortable and competent in moving there.  If not, I think the defense struggles.

Sticking with the defense, naturally I want to see the rookies.  Today, Tom McManus wss saying that a gator player indicated Bryan was difficult to block one on one.  I want to see if that carries over to the pros.  In the NFL Network draft coverage, Mayock said Bryan was raw and had difficulty locating the ball, but that he had a quick first step.  I also want to see if Harrison has a realistic shot of pushing for playing time at either S position, even though it will be a tall order for him to do so.

Now Chark's development became more interesting to me today watching NFLN.  Since he was drafted, I have maintained Chark doesn't need to be T.O. to be a good pick for us.  He needs to be able to get deep to keep the safety out of the box.  I said he needs to approximate Willie Gault.  But watching the "A Football Life" of Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell, I saw clips of J Smoove running his trademark go routes...the kinds of routes Chark excelled at due to pure speed.  If anyone can convey to Chark how Smith ran his routes, Keenan can, and could even invite Jimmy to help consult or mentor him.  If Chark can improve his routes, we can have a potent weapon out wide.

Will Richardson prove himself a worthy RT apprentice?  Will Jacobs provide competition to Brown at SAM?

Finally I want to see if ASJ can be the answer at TE.  If so I think Bortles can take the step we all hope he does.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2018, 11:33 AM by copycat.)

(07-06-2018, 10:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 09:34 PM)copycat Wrote: 12 days until rookies report.  19 until veteran's report.  

What say you?
I want to see how Myles Jack adjusts to the Mike.  As you recall, he struggled with the adjustment last year.  Hopefully with another year in the scheme under his belt, he will be more comfortable and competent in moving there.  If not, I think the defense struggles.

Sticking with the defense, naturally I want to see the rookies.  Today, Tom McManus wss saying that a gator player indicated Bryan was difficult to block one on one.  I want to see if that carries over to the pros.  In the NFL Network draft coverage, Mayock said Bryan was raw and had difficulty locating the ball, but that he had a quick first step.  I also want to see if Harrison has a realistic shot of pushing for playing time at either S position, even though it will be a tall order for him to do so.

Now Chark's development became more interesting to me today watching NFLN.  Since he was drafted, I have maintained Chark doesn't need to be T.O. to be a good pick for us.  He needs to be able to get deep to keep the safety out of the box.  I said he needs to approximate Willie Gault.  But watching the "A Football Life" of Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell, I saw clips of J Smoove running his trademark go routes...the kinds of routes Chark excelled at due to pure speed.  If anyone can convey to Chark how Smith ran his routes, Keenan can, and could even invite Jimmy to help consult or mentor him.  If Chark can improve his routes, we can have a potent weapon out wide.

Will Richardson prove himself a worthy RT apprentice?  Will Jacobs provide competition to Brown at SAM?

Finally I want to see if ASJ can be the answer at TE.  If so I think Bortles can take the step we all hope he does.

Of all your points, I have the least concern for Myles Jack (whom wast't down BTW).  I believe after the early struggles last year he more than grew into the position.  

The beauty of Bryan's drafting is he does not have the expectations of the usual 1st round draft picks.  With our depth and talent he will have the luxury of developing before he is expected to produce.  If as so many experts have said, that he reminds them of Watt then we hit a home run in the draft.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Excited about the new era Titans starting their domination of the league.
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(07-07-2018, 12:16 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Excited about the new era Titans starting their domination of the league.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ1dXNlQ1jAuTZc5XwUlN...zDdPxG-5vQ]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-06-2018, 10:49 PM)copycat Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 10:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I want to see how Myles Jack adjusts to the Mike.  As you recall, he struggled with the adjustment last year.  Hopefully with another year in the scheme under his belt, he will be more comfortable and competent in moving there.  If not, I think the defense struggles.

Of all your points, I have the least concern for Myles Jack (whom wast't down BTW).  I believe after the early struggles last year he more than grew into the position.  

The beauty of Bryan's drafting is he does not have the expectations of the usual 1st round draft picks.  With our depth and talent he will have the luxury of developing before he is expected to produce.  If as so many experts have said, the he reminds them of Watt the we kit a home rub it the draft.

I know Jack played well last year, but was he calling the signals and getting players aligned?  You figure being in the defense another year would give him enough knowledge of the scheme and opposing offenses to do so effectively, but until the reports come out indicating that is not a problem any longer, it's a concern of mine.

I share your views on Bryan being free to develop slowly.  I think that applies to all of the rookies this year...at least so far

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Not really too concerned with Jack getting players in alignment. If you notice, each level tends to communicate and take care of themselves with initial alignments and then adjustments as players shift. What I do worry about is the tendency of the LBs to (Read, React, Cover). Both Smith and Jack tend to react to fast and find themselves overrunning coverage responsibility. Add Brown or whoever to the mix and we could find the LBers being an area of coverage concern. Luckily their speed tends to cover for their mistakes most times, but I don't see Brown having that luxury. Donald Payne maybe, but then again he is more of a Smith clone with not much size. I guess how we set up LBs will become more clear as training camp moves forward. My guess is the trend towards more speedy coverage guys versus hovering LOS guys. Let the big dudes up front eat!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We probably won't be able to tell much beyond the WR position until the frist Preseason game, but I'd like to see Tavan Bryan somehow justify himself as our first round pick.
'02

I want to see ASJ become the TE we havent had for years. Julius Thomas was suppose to be that TE, but never panned out. Having a quick TE that gets open down field should really open up the playbook for different plays/ players. I would like too see our TE position become a threat and not just a safety outlet.

I'm in favor of anything that gets Johnny O off the stoopid "cultural icon" Eugene P. Frenette train.

I too am most excited about ASJ. I am most worried about our nickel corner situation. I think Brown or Jacobs will do just fine in a 1/3 snap SAM role, or at least won't be exploited too bad.

I want to see Ramsey take his game to the very top. And Chark become our number 1.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2018, 09:43 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

What have you guys seen from ASJ to warrant such optimism?  Granted I haven’t watched him much, but the stats haven’t been there for him to date.  He did get a decent amount of targets and receptions last year, but his receiving yards were a measly 357, the highest of his career.

We haven’t had a prolific passing game and he hasn’t been prolific pass catching TE so far in his career.  Seems like expectations should probably be tempered.

(07-08-2018, 09:34 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: What have you guys seen from ASJ to warrant such optimism?  Granted I haven’t watched him much, but the stats haven’t been there for him to date.  He did get a decent amount of targets and receptions last year, but his receiving yards were a measly 357, the highest of his career.

We haven’t had a prolific passing game and he hasn’t been prolific pass catching TE so far in his career.  Seems like expectations should probably be tempered.

The excitement is from his potential going back to the college when he was a second round draft pick out of Washington. Let's also factor in that even though his yardage wasn't there last year but he had Josh McCown as his quarterback and it's not exactly known for throwing the ball down field. I don't expect a lot from him but I'm more excited about Keelan Cole and his development as a wide receiver.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(07-08-2018, 11:21 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(07-08-2018, 09:34 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: What have you guys seen from ASJ to warrant such optimism?  Granted I haven’t watched him much, but the stats haven’t been there for him to date.  He did get a decent amount of targets and receptions last year, but his receiving yards were a measly 357, the highest of his career.

The excitement is from his potential going back to the college when he was a second round draft pick out of Washington. Let's also factor in that even though his yardage wasn't there last year but he had Josh McCown as his quarterback and it's not exactly known for throwing the ball down field. I don't expect a lot from him but I'm more excited about Keelan Cole and his development as a wide receiver.

Just  watched Blake's highlights from last year. Those catches by Lewis last year we're some of the most lumbering and clumsy looking movements I think I've ever seen. If ASJ can at least move like a pro player then this offensive scheme will get him open a lot. Lewis just couldn't run the routes with any kind of speed or precision.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2018, 12:15 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(07-08-2018, 11:21 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:

He's played 4 years in the pros and done nothing of note. Those 4 years are much more relevant than going back to his college days at this point.  Josh McCown was also statistically about the same guy as Bortles was through the air last year except McCown played 3 less regular season games and was more accurate.  I'm just wondering where this production for ASJ is going to all of a sudden come from based on history up to this point.  The only real counter argument I see is that ASJ prior to last year never played more than 9 games in a season.  He played in 13 last year.  You could say we haven't seen a full season's worth of production out of him and I'd say we might never/probably won't see that with his track record.  I'll be happy if he can run block well.  I just get the feeling that some of this excitement stems from having heard of the guy and him having prototypical size and speed for a TE.  There's a ton of TEs with prototypical size and speed that haven't done squat in the pros though.

I really want to see our 2nd year WRs improve and build on last year. I think Cole and Westbrook have the potential to be a number one. I think Cole will shock some people this year like he did in his game against the Texans, 180+ yard game as a rookie

I just want to see no injuries.

Things I will be looking for:
Defense:
  • Linemen
    Is Bryan going to be able to harness that athleticism into NFL effectiveness? 
    How will Campbell hold up?
    Is Dareus going to be irreplaceable through this season?
  • Linebackers
    Jack. How he goes, the rest of them go. It's just how I view that situation. 
    Who is going to take the SAM spot? Because you're going to need a quality guy there when you face Tennessee.
  • Secondary 
    How will they replace Colvin? I feel like his run support was underrated and that's a big, big part of that role. Sure, there are good coverage guys back there but a NB needs to be good in all aspects of Defense. It's why that spot is so tough to nail down.
    Will Harrison carve out a spot for himself? He has a lot of versatility but will he bring enough to the table to get on the field and produce?
  • Coaching
    This one is important because I feel like the staff is in a tough spot. They have to be able to overcome talent loss and also be able to tweak the scheme enough to maintain effectiveness but not change things up so much that no one knows what's going on. 

Offense:
  • Linemen 
    Guards. Enough said. 
  • Running Game
    How will they cope without having Ivory? I doubt it will take much, but a three man rotation kind of worries me.
    Will Grant really be getting an expanded role, or is it just going to be him trying to do things he isn't ready for?
    How will they compensate for not having Lewis to seal the edge any longer?
  • Passing Game
    Blake, please maintain that trajectory you were on at the end of the season. We're countin' on ya big guy.
    Chark, is this the guy to pop the top off the Defense?
    Lee, He's got to cut back on those drops from last year. He has to.
    This is ASJ's shot at redemption, how will he deal with it?
  • Coaching
    Hackett, you gotta get better at pencil whipping folks. Lining up and mashing people is great, but nothing emphasizes a fastball like a changeup.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

In training camp, I would like to see...

Donte Moncrief and DJ Chark use the incredible athleticism that they possess and become weapons,

7th rounder Leon Jacobs aggressively grab the open SAM opportunity and develop into a force,

The TE position become a bigger part of the offensive production, and

The addition of Andrew Norwell improve the OL and open some holes for Fournette and the other backs.