Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interesting discussion on ESPN

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2018, 10:58 AM by Bullseye.)

(07-12-2018, 08:45 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I think the Chargers are underrated but their fortunes are built on Phillip Rivers who's no spring chicken. They're one injury away from 8-8. It's not going to be a popular opinion here but I think you could make a case for our defense being a little overrated. There's no doubt we're wonderfully talented but we had occasions to fall apart last year and give up stretches of big plays. I think that gets forgotten. So I think 4th is probably about right where we should be on that particular list.

I'm not Rivers', Brady's, or Big Ben's physicians, but at face value, rivers appears no more old and decrepit than Brady or Big Ben.

All of them should be past their primes, but all three are playing well.  It would be interesting to see how the power dynamic changed in the AFC if all three of those guys fell off dramatically due to age.

Late last year, our defense became inexplicably vulnerable to the deep pass.

It seemed to start with the Seattle game, as Russell Wilson pulled some rabbits out of his hat to keep them close in a game that should have been a blowout.

Then the 49ers picked us apart.

The vulnerability to deep passes continued to show against the Steelers in the playoffs.  Like the Seattle game, we should have blown them out, but for desperation 4th and long heaves by Big Ben that went for TDs.

I guess you could argue the pass rush was less effective later in the year than it was earlier, and that contributed to the vulnerability to the deep pass.  For much of last year, the defense was on pace to break the single season sack record held by the '84 Bears but then fell off.  Fifty five sacks was still very good especially in light of the poor defensive performances of prior years, but considering at one point in mid season, they were on pace for 75 sacks, that result was mildly disappointing.

(07-13-2018, 10:35 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 06:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I say we're actually number one. This team resembles the Seahawks from a few years ago. Stout defense. Stout running game. Not too flashy in the passing game but they manage to get by with okay players at the position. And just play mistake free football. Atlanta had their shot. They blew it in the most prolific fashion possible. The Chargers had their chance years ago. That window has closed.

The Vikings being a shoe in or higher than us is funny to me. They were caught off guard completely in Philadelphia earlier this year. At least we still had a chance in our loss to the Patriots. Even with Cousins you still have to factor in that when Rodgers is healthy in Green Bay it's almost always their division for the taking. I think it's us that stands the best chance to win it. And we'll end up playing the Patriots, Steelers & Chiefs this year. All are play-off caliber teams or better. So we'll know whether or not they've bought into the media hype.I 
I think the Vikings free agent signing of Cousins Is going to backfire on them this year. He was not worth what they paid and the pressure to perform will affect his game especially if by mid-season their record is such that they are not on track to make the playoffs. So I definitely believe we should be ranked number one.  I expect Blake to have a break out year, improved offensive line, much-improved running game if Leonard is healthy. and last but not least I think Taven  Bryan will improve the defensive line and by mid-season will bring an explosive addition to the rotation.  GO JAGUARS
I have entertained similar thoughts, though I am unsure if it will backfire on them this year as much as it may in the second and third years of his deal when those defensive players need to be re-signed.  Do I think he will improve their QB position?  Do I think it will be enough to get them to the Super Bowl?  That is the question.

I sure hope you and the team are right about Taven Bryan.  With the news about Dareus, we may end up needing him to contribute far sooner than we initially thought when we drafted him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
Interesting discussion on ESPN - by Bullseye - 07-12-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: Interesting discussion on ESPN - by Deacon - 07-12-2018, 04:11 PM
RE: Interesting discussion on ESPN - by Bullseye - 07-12-2018, 04:34 PM
RE: Interesting discussion on ESPN - by FBT - 07-12-2018, 05:01 PM
RE: Interesting discussion on ESPN - by Bullseye - 07-12-2018, 05:11 PM
RE: Interesting discussion on ESPN - by Caldrac - 07-12-2018, 06:59 PM
RE: Interesting discussion on ESPN - by Bullseye - 07-12-2018, 08:01 PM
RE: Interesting discussion on ESPN - by Caldrac - 07-13-2018, 04:06 PM
RE: Interesting discussion on ESPN - by dennisp3 - 07-13-2018, 10:35 AM
RE: Interesting discussion on ESPN - by jaguarmvp - 07-12-2018, 07:50 PM