Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The View From the Couch redux

If you're still able to laugh at the buffoon currently residing in the White House, this should do the trick...

[Image: 37161363_615545662165827_896317169960851...e=5BE7A9F6]
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-18-2018, 08:01 PM)rollerjag Wrote: If you're still able to laugh at the buffoon currently residing in the White House, this should do the trick...

He's the Yogi Berra of governance. Fortunately his actual policies don't match his babbling.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(07-18-2018, 08:15 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 08:01 PM)rollerjag Wrote: If you're still able to laugh at the buffoon currently residing in the White House, this should do the trick...

He's the Yogi Berra of governance. Fortunately his actual policies don't match his babbling.

The only "policies" enacted by Trump were low hanging fruit. Get back to me when he achieves something requiring real governance and political savvy.
- Bob Marley

(07-18-2018, 08:21 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

The only "policies" enacted by Trump were low hanging fruit. Get back to me when he achieves something requiring real governance and political savvy.

If the economy and GDP numbers your Obama never even sniffed is "low hanging fruit", then what does that say about the Obama years?

Scientists are close to finding a cure for TDS so hang in there!

(07-18-2018, 08:21 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

Getting rid of thousands of regulations and shutting down redundant bureaucratic agencies might be "low hanging fruit" in your eyes, but he's the first POTUS of either party to do that since at least Coolidge.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

You know, except for the 95% of things he's done that are great, he's just an awful President.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-19-2018, 11:55 AM by mikesez.)

(07-18-2018, 10:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 08:21 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The only "policies" enacted by Trump were low hanging fruit. Get back to me when he achieves something requiring real governance and political savvy.

If the economy and GDP numbers your Obama never even sniffed is "low hanging fruit", then what does that say about the Obama years?

I don't think the President has much impact on GDP growth.  He has some, but not much.
I acknowledge that growth under Trump is higher than growth at the end of Obama's term.  I think this is mostly attributable to the tax cuts.  But the tax cuts haven't been accompanied by spending cuts, which means they are creating debt.  That works great as a one-time stimulus, but with unemployment already low, we didn't need a one-time stimulus.  So, unless we repeal these tax cuts or make significant cuts to spending, we are going to have much higher deficits going forward, which is going to cause interest rates and inflation to both go up, which is going to cancel the stimulative effect of the tax cut.  This is already happening.  So like I said, policy changes like this have a measurable short term impact, but economic fundamentals (the things no President can control) always strike back and long term impacts can vanishingly small.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

She does have some great farm product.

(07-18-2018, 08:21 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The only "policies" enacted by Trump were low hanging fruit. Get back to me when he achieves something requiring real governance and political savvy.

The economy was gradually getting better under Obama , who inherited a mess. Name one thing Trump has done that required more than a rubber stamp.
- Bob Marley

(07-18-2018, 11:15 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:

Getting rid of thousands of regulations and shutting down redundant bureaucratic agencies might be "low hanging fruit" in your eyes, but he's the first POTUS of either party to do that since at least Coolidge.

Since Coolidge was president there has been two Republican presidents with the luxury of a Republican Congress. You want to give him credit for knowing how to sign legislation. Good on you, a trained monkey could've done the same thing
- Bob Marley

Lol .... Obama came into office during the height of the economic crisis centered about the housing market, banking, and auto industries.   The economy was left to Trump on a silver platter.

B-b-b-Bush!!!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-19-2018, 03:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 10:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If the economy and GDP numbers your Obama never even sniffed is "low hanging fruit", then what does that say about the Obama years?

Lol .... Obama came into office during the height of the economic crisis centered about the housing market, banking, and auto industries.   The economy was left to Trump on a silver platter.

At what point do you start giving Trump accolades for the economy? I'm pretty sure if it were in the tank it would be Trump's fault, correct?

(07-19-2018, 05:33 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 03:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lol .... Obama came into office during the height of the economic crisis centered about the housing market, banking, and auto industries.   The economy was left to Trump on a silver platter.

At what point do you start giving Trump accolades for the economy? I'm pretty sure if it were in the tank it would be Trump's fault, correct?

See above.  The Presidents always get too much credit when things go well in the economy and too much blame when they go poorly.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-19-2018, 03:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 10:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If the economy and GDP numbers your Obama never even sniffed is "low hanging fruit", then what does that say about the Obama years?

Obama got the economy at the bottom. Even RJ's trained monkey could get it to go up from there. In eight years Obama never got the GDP growth over 2%, while under Trump it's regularly above 3%. Trump has made a difference.

(07-19-2018, 06:30 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 05:33 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: At what point do you start giving Trump accolades for the economy? I'm pretty sure if it were in the tank it would be Trump's fault, correct?

See above.  The Presidents always get too much credit when things go well in the economy and too much blame when they go poorly.

Yes, but deregulation and tax reform have helped the middle class and job creators. Those are essentially an extension of Trumps policies. Should he get all of the credit? No, but to pretend the GDP would be where it is had we continued on the path of Obama's regulations and policies is crazy.

The guy is a fool. It's why he was good to watch on TV. Unfortunately I imagine many of his voters probably have no Idea difference of England,uk and great Britain

(07-19-2018, 06:33 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 03:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lol .... Obama came into office during the height of the economic crisis centered about the housing market, banking, and auto industries.   The economy was left to Trump on a silver platter.

Obama got the economy at the bottom. Even RJ's trained monkey could get it to go up from there. In eight years Obama never got the GDP growth over 2%, while under Trump it's regularly above 3%. Trump has made a difference.

What are you talking about? I'm no fan of Obama, but US GDP had over 2% annual growth 4 times during his presidency. As far as Trump's presidency, GDP has hit over 3% quarterly growth, but not annually (yet). Obama had over 3% quarterly growth many times. Hopefully Trump's policies will lead to sustained growth, but it's really too early to say yet.

(07-19-2018, 10:34 PM)lastonealive Wrote: The guy is a fool. It's why he was good to watch on TV. Unfortunately I imagine many of his voters probably have no Idea difference of England,uk and great Britain

While I see you are bashing yet again, it isn’t a voter base thing. Most Americans are geographically stupid. They couldn’t point out South Dakota on a U.S. map let alone care where some European country is and the naming conventions.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-19-2018, 06:30 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 05:33 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: At what point do you start giving Trump accolades for the economy? I'm pretty sure if it were in the tank it would be Trump's fault, correct?

While this may have been true, the way the economy has morphed and the expansion of access, change is a lot more rapid. It would be fair to say that credit and blame can be substantial based on measures inacted and whether meant for short term or long term. One would need to be smart on whether stagnent policy or new policy is being measured and how. But, Americans just want simple cut and dry.

Denying Trumps tax plan and actions have stimulated our economy would be foolish. It would also be foolish to not believe introducing new Tariffs will have a short term negative impact as much as it could have a positive long term one.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]