Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I am going to Europe!! Any Advice?

So in less than two weeks, I shall be flying to Iceland and visiting Europe for the first time in my life and I shall be traveling solo. I will be going to Munich, Prague, Vienna, Baden-Baden, Triberg, and Zurich. I'll be doing some pretty cool stuff, like visiting the Eagle's Nest, Neuschwanstein, Prague Castle, Wachau Valley, Mount Titlis, and Jungfraujoch. However, I don't really have any of the small stuff planned like where to eat or things that are in the cities to see that are quick and stuff like that. So if yall have any advice or suggestions that would be awesome

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Have a great time. I have been to Europe numerous times, but have primarily been in western Europe (just got back from Portugal 2 weeks ago.). Prague is on my "must see" list. Have a great time and let us know how the trip was.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(07-19-2018, 04:04 PM)ColoJag Wrote: So in less than two weeks, I shall be flying to Iceland and visiting Europe for the first time in my life and I shall be traveling solo. I will be going to Munich, Prague, Vienna, Baden-Baden, Triberg, and Zurich. I'll be doing some pretty cool stuff, like visiting the Eagle's Nest, Neuschwanstein, Prague Castle, Wachau Valley, Mount Titlis, and Jungfraujoch. However, I don't really have any of the small stuff planned like where to eat or things that are in the cities to see that are quick and stuff like that. So if yall have any advice or suggestions that would be awesome

Dress and talk loudly while chewing gum. If someone doesn't understand English, repeat yourself in a louder voice. You'll fit right in.

When it comes to protection. Double up.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(07-19-2018, 05:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 04:04 PM)ColoJag Wrote: So in less than two weeks, I shall be flying to Iceland and visiting Europe for the first time in my life and I shall be traveling solo. I will be going to Munich, Prague, Vienna, Baden-Baden, Triberg, and Zurich. I'll be doing some pretty cool stuff, like visiting the Eagle's Nest, Neuschwanstein, Prague Castle, Wachau Valley, Mount Titlis, and Jungfraujoch. However, I don't really have any of the small stuff planned like where to eat or things that are in the cities to see that are quick and stuff like that. So if yall have any advice or suggestions that would be awesome

Dress and talk loudly while chewing gum. If someone doesn't understand English, repeat yourself in a louder voice. You'll fit right in.

He said Europe, not Tennessee
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We actually just came back (about 6 weeks ago anyway) from a Munich, Salzburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna trip.  It was a blast.  Wachau Valley is neat we did a bicycle tour there but the wine is not all it's cracked up to be. I prefer beer when it comes to Austria/Germany. Prague is absolutely out of control, incredibly busy and party-centric if you're into that kind of thing. I loved it and hated it at the same time, lol. Watch out for the pick-pockets. Don't carry a wallet, keep things in a hidden pocket, that's what we did. The tours there are a little underwhelming, you're better off striking out on your own. Uber works good in Prague, but in Germany or Austria get cabs. That's assuming you aren't renting a car and I would not recommend it for the cities. Prague Castle is so freaking busy to get into it makes Disney World on a Memorial Day week end look deserted by comparison.  The line when we got there was about 8 hours, so we gave up and just walked around the area which is pretty cool by itself.

We had eurorail passes so rode trains from place to place and it worked ok but the trains in Germany are not nearly as reliable as the trains in the UK in my experience.  If you are going to be around The Eagles Nest area, also book a salt mine tour. They are worth while and there are several of them.  Enjoy!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I've been to Munich and Neuschwanstein. A visit to the Hofbrauhaus to quaff a brew and get some souvenirs is a must while in Munich, which is the more liberal city in Germany. Not far outside of Munich is Dachau. A tour there is heavvvy stuff if you possess any shred of humanity. If you're out for pure enjoyment then that might be a place to avoid. 

Neuschwanstein is scenic as hell. It's located in the foothills of the alps, but what's so striking is the topography. If you're approaching from the north thru the Bavarian plains, the alps rise suddenly. If you're driving don't miss your turn off or you'll end up going to Austria before you can turn around (that happened to another group I was traveling with). You'll park in a lot in the town below and then buy a ticket to take a bus up to the castle so you can walk around the outside. If you want to take a tour of the inside then you'll have to purchase a ticket for that. I didn't do it but others I knew did. The tours are limited in size and frequency so you may have to purchase in advance if you want to do it. 

Germany is beautiful this time of year. You'll continuously see vistas that look like something off a calendar page. The people are fantastic and the beer even better (my gawd the beer...experiment!). No air conditioning in the hotels. It typically doesn't get hot enough to warrant one, but there were a few pretty warm days (around 90) while I was there in August. Enjoy some Bavarian cuisine too; sauerkraut, sausage, farmers bread, potatoes, but you'll also discover that Germans have a varied taste for other foods too. 

I spent my time mostly in Bavaria while there so that's all I can offer. Of all the places I've been, it's one of my favorites. Good people, good food, good beer, and good times. Enjoy.

Thanks so much guys! Alot of this is very useful! HB I also have eurorail passes and I have honestly never been on a train before except in Chicago or NYC but I feel like those are very different than the European trains. Alot of the ticket stuff is included in the tour like the Bavarian castles or the Prague castle I already have the tickets so hopefu that will speed things up. I'm 22 and traveling alone so definitely looking for a good time and just assuming that's already going to happen lol. Was super curious on the Uber or cab situation because an Uber from downtown Munich to my hotel is only like $20 which isnt bad at all but in Zurich a uber is like $60 and ya that would add up real fast so I just rented a car because that would be cheaper. I feel like I'm prepared, got one of those fancy no outside zipper backpacks and a holder for my passport and etc that goes around my neck. Also my girl thing(not girlfriend) is an Au Pair from Vienna so she has been giving me some insight on that and she said just get the hop on hop off pass just explore around myself.

(07-20-2018, 12:01 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Thanks so much guys! Alot of this is very useful! HB I also have eurorail passes and I have honestly never been on a train before except in Chicago or NYC but I feel like those are very different than the European trains. Alot of the ticket stuff is included in the tour like the Bavarian castles or the Prague castle I already have the tickets so hopefu that will speed things up. I'm 22 and traveling alone so definitely looking for a good time and just assuming that's already going to happen lol. Was super curious on the Uber or cab situation because an Uber from downtown Munich to my hotel is only like $20 which isnt bad at all but in Zurich a uber is like $60 and ya that would add up real fast so I just rented a car because that would be cheaper. I feel like I'm prepared, got one of those fancy no outside zipper backpacks and a holder for my passport and etc that goes around my neck. Also my girl thing(not girlfriend) is an Au Pair from Vienna so she has been giving me some insight on that and she said just get the hop on hop off pass just explore around myself.

If you take the IC (Inner City) or IC Express trains, you may want to make reservations ahead of time (having a pass let's you get on board but doesn't guarantee you a seat and they get crowded sometimes). The regional trains you can usually get a seat without a reservation but they stop more often and so take longer to get from place to place.  In the cities in Germany and Austria you can take the U-Bahn or S-Bahn easily and get around cheaply, the only reason I recommend Uber for Prague is because their mass transit was kind of confusing (at least it was for me) and the hop on-hop off buses there are usually so full you end up waiting a lot.  If you speak a bit of German in Germany they seem to really appreciate it and many people speak some English in most of Europe but since your friend is from Vienna that won't be an issue for you.

I wish I could go back already. Smile

(07-20-2018, 06:06 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 12:01 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Thanks so much guys! Alot of this is very useful! HB I also have eurorail passes and I have honestly never been on a train before except in Chicago or NYC but I feel like those are very different than the European trains. Alot of the ticket stuff is included in the tour like the Bavarian castles or the Prague castle I already have the tickets so hopefu that will speed things up. I'm 22 and traveling alone so definitely looking for a good time and just assuming that's already going to happen lol. Was super curious on the Uber or cab situation because an Uber from downtown Munich to my hotel is only like $20 which isnt bad at all but in Zurich a uber is like $60 and ya that would add up real fast so I just rented a car because that would be cheaper. I feel like I'm prepared, got one of those fancy no outside zipper backpacks and a holder for my passport and etc that goes around my neck. Also my girl thing(not girlfriend) is an Au Pair from Vienna so she has been giving me some insight on that and she said just get the hop on hop off pass just explore around myself.

If you take the IC (Inner City) or IC Express trains, you may want to make reservations ahead of time (having a pass let's you get on board but doesn't guarantee you a seat and they get crowded sometimes). 

ICE stands for Inter City Express BTW.

(07-20-2018, 11:35 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 06:06 AM)hb1148 Wrote: If you take the IC (Inner City) or IC Express trains, you may want to make reservations ahead of time (having a pass let's you get on board but doesn't guarantee you a seat and they get crowded sometimes). 

“Abolish ICE!” 

- Uber

(07-20-2018, 06:06 AM)hb1148 Wrote:

If you take the IC (Inner City) or IC Express trains, you may want to make reservations ahead of time (having a pass let's you get on board but doesn't guarantee you a seat and they get crowded sometimes). The regional trains you can usually get a seat without a reservation but they stop more often and so take longer to get from place to place.  In the cities in Germany and Austria you can take the U-Bahn or S-Bahn easily and get around cheaply, the only reason I recommend Uber for Prague is because their mass transit was kind of confusing (at least it was for me) and the hop on-hop off buses there are usually so full you end up waiting a lot.  If you speak a bit of German in Germany they seem to really appreciate it and many people speak some English in most of Europe but since your friend is from Vienna that won't be an issue for you.

Most of my trains are at like 5:30 in the morning, so I am hoping that means that they won't be too ridiculously busy and I will be able to get a seat. I do speak a beat of German but what is throwing me off is Austrian-German is different than normal German so that might throw some people off when I start speaking haha.

Don't eat yellow snow.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Just wing it. Use protection. You'll be alright.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

One thing I always do when traveling around Europe is to learn a few basic phrases in each language.
Being able to say “I’m sorry, I only know a few words in German (or whichever language), do you speak English?” will open lots of doors for you as many folks will speak at least some English or direct you to someone who does. This will often lead to an opportunity to learn about local delicacies and attractions not included in the usual tourist guides.

Seeking out the places the locals recommend for food and drink will often lead to some special experiences.

If you like beer, German and Czech beers are legendary for good reason.
You’ll find that every region of Germany has a “local brew” and they are all worth trying. Many of them excellent. The usual offerings are a Pilsner, a dunkel (darker lager), and a Hefeweizen from each brewery. In larger cities you’ll find the day drinkers at the Kolsch houses sipping small flutes of low alcohol kolsch beer. Many of them have a large outdoor Biergarten area to enjoy your suds with a view of the town plaza or cathedral.
Czech pilsners are legendary for a crisp bitterness.

I hate people that do fun stuff !!! 

Mods -- can you add a DEFRIEND icon to this sight --- IGNORE is not good enough

(07-20-2018, 11:35 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 06:06 AM)hb1148 Wrote: If you take the IC (Inner City) or IC Express trains, you may want to make reservations ahead of time (having a pass let's you get on board but doesn't guarantee you a seat and they get crowded sometimes). 

Yep, thanks I was trying to avoid using that acronym lol but IC is InterCity which means stops are made along the way. ICE means InterCity Express which are generally non-stops (with some exceptions). They are pretty nice trains but I found in Germany they're not as reliable as you'd think they'd be.  Sad

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2018, 02:48 PM by mikesez.)

A lot of stuff is closed Sundays.
almost everything except for restaurants and bars is closed by about 7 PM on weekdays and 6 PM on weekends.
if you're visiting a lot of different places in the same day, don't miss opportunities to eat. Pack snacks. Don't assume that there will be a food cart or takeaway cafe at your next stop. As an example I was just in Paris and there is nothing to eat at all around the Eiffel Tower and all of the options around the opera house are sit down. If you see a place selling food that looks good to you, buy it, even if you save the food for later.
Go on a brewery tour. there will probably be an English recording of the tour, and they give you a good traditional German lunch when you go on those.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-20-2018, 06:53 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 11:35 AM)DragonFury Wrote: ICE stands for Inter City Express BTW.

Yep, thanks I was trying to avoid using that acronym lol but IC is InterCity which means stops are made along the way. ICE means InterCity Express which are generally non-stops (with some exceptions). They are pretty nice trains but I found in Germany they're not as reliable as you'd think they'd be.  Sad

This surprised me because you could set your watch by them in Stuttgart. But that was almost 20 years ago so....

(07-22-2018, 08:57 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 06:53 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Yep, thanks I was trying to avoid using that acronym lol but IC is InterCity which means stops are made along the way. ICE means InterCity Express which are generally non-stops (with some exceptions). They are pretty nice trains but I found in Germany they're not as reliable as you'd think they'd be.  Sad

This surprised me because you could set your watch by them in Stuttgart. But that was almost 20 years ago so....

I was actually pretty surprised too because we'd heard good things. We had a couple of cancellations and had to juggle our schedule to find new trains (which were already full so we ended up sitting on the floor). Most trains seemed like they were departing behind schedule and in one case the train (an ICE) stopped in an unscheduled station and dumped all the passengers off without explanation. We were told to take "the bus" but there were only local buses available. Finally another train came by and everyone from the first train got herded on to the second train which was already full.  We were speculating with our fellow passengers that it must have been a mechanical issue which can happen but it does seem like you're pretty much on your own when it does. UK train system is a lot better.

The good news is we never got stranded overnight anywhere and the eurorail pass is ultimately cost effective if you're taking several longer trips which we were. Smile