Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Searcy on the O-Line

A good analysis from former Jaguars' RT Leon Searcy, who was with the team in the early years.

He focuses much of the discussion on Cam Robinson.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/eleven-on-e...eon-searcy

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've enjoyed the eleven-on-eleven QA sessions. After reading this one, it brought to light how many mistakes Robinson made. Honestly, after having Jockel out there, I really didn't notice too many glaring issues. With that said, Robinson could be a monster at LT once he nails down technique. He'll grow, no doubt!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-20-2018, 01:40 PM)B2hibry Wrote: I've enjoyed the eleven-on-eleven QA sessions. After reading this one, it brought to light how many mistakes Robinson made. Honestly, after having Jockel out there, I really didn't notice too many glaring issues. With that said, Robinson could be a monster at LT once he nails down technique. He'll grow, no doubt!

On the series as a whole, what struck me-besides the analysis- is how the former players still identify with and root for the Jaguars after their playing days are over, and how they want to serve to better this community.

Regarding Searcy's analysis on Cam, it was interesting to hear his perspective on why he got beat by Harrison, and good to hear that he has Pro Bowl potential.

(07-20-2018, 03:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 01:40 PM)B2hibry Wrote: I've enjoyed the eleven-on-eleven QA sessions. After reading this one, it brought to light how many mistakes Robinson made. Honestly, after having Jockel out there, I really didn't notice too many glaring issues. With that said, Robinson could be a monster at LT once he nails down technique. He'll grow, no doubt!

On the series as a whole, what struck me-besides the analysis- is how the former players still identify with and root for the Jaguars after their playing days are over, and how they want to serve to better this community.

Regarding Searcy's analysis on Cam, it was interesting to hear his perspective on why he got beat by Harrison, and good to hear that he has Pro Bowl potential.

I've been telling you guys about that Cam guy..

Really interesting analysis on Cam's strength/techniques in his first year.  I was wondering if any one had insights into Luke Joekel's failure to produce in the same light.  Was it an upper or lower body strength issue, bad technique, or maybe just a mental toughness that he lacked?

I've always read that OLmen were the easiest players to project in the first round of drafts (though I have read that college footballs lack of three-point stance in the modern offenses could be part of making it more difficult.)

(07-20-2018, 07:45 PM)cland Wrote:   I was wondering if any one had insights into Luke Joekel's failure to produce in the same light.  Was it an upper or lower body strength issue, bad technique, or maybe just a mental toughness that he lacked?

Yes.   Laughing

(07-20-2018, 07:45 PM)cland Wrote: Really interesting analysis on Cam's strength/techniques in his first year.  I was wondering if any one had insights into Luke Joekel's failure to produce in the same light.  Was it an upper or lower body strength issue, bad technique, or maybe just a mental toughness that he lacked?

I've always read that OLmen were the easiest players to project in the first round of drafts (though I have read that college footballs lack of three-point stance in the modern offenses could be part of making it more difficult.)
I'm not sure what you're reading, but no way are they the easiest. GMs are constantly getting it wrong when it comes to selecting round one OLs.

BTW, Searcy was highly underrated. People always talk about how great Boselli was, but when I watched the games, Searcy was nearly as good. The guy was literally the perfect RT as he would dominate just about any player taking them way out of the play.

Imagine this OL with all players in their prime...
  • LT Tony Boselli
  • LG Vince Manuwai
  • C Brandon Linder
  • RG Andrew Norwell
  • RT Leon Searcy

'02

(07-21-2018, 09:26 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 07:45 PM)cland Wrote: Really interesting analysis on Cam's strength/techniques in his first year.  I was wondering if any one had insights into Luke Joekel's failure to produce in the same light.  Was it an upper or lower body strength issue, bad technique, or maybe just a mental toughness that he lacked?

I'm not sure what you're reading, but no way are they the easiest. GMs are constantly getting it wrong when it comes to selecting round one OLs.

BTW, Searcy was highly underrated. People always talk about how great Boselli was, but when I watched the games, Searcy was nearly as good. The guy was literally the perfect RT as he would dominate just about any player taking them way out of the play.

• LT Tony Boselli
  • LG Vince Manuwai
  • C Brandon Linder
  • RG Andrew Norwell
  • RT Leon Searcy

Gimme Ben Coleman instead of Manuwai

(07-20-2018, 08:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 07:45 PM)cland Wrote:   I was wondering if any one had insights into Luke Joekel's failure to produce in the same light.  Was it an upper or lower body strength issue, bad technique, or maybe just a mental toughness that he lacked?

Yes.   Laughing
Exactly

(07-21-2018, 10:30 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 09:26 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm not sure what you're reading, but no way are they the easiest. GMs are constantly getting it wrong when it comes to selecting round one OLs.

• LT Tony Boselli
  • LG Vince Manuwai
  • C Brandon Linder
  • RG Andrew Norwell
  • RT Leon Searcy

Nah... Coleman false started too much.
'02

Man....Manuwai was a ROAD GRADER.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

LT: Bosselli
LG: Manuwai
C: Brad Meester
RG: Brandon Linder
RT: Leon Searcy

FTFY.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

No love for Chris Naeole? he was better than Manuwai imo. Also, right now I'd take him over Norwell too since I haven't seen much from him.

(07-22-2018, 01:02 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: No love for Chris Naeole? he was better than Manuwai imo. Also, right now I'd take him over Norwell too since I haven't seen much from him.

I considered Naeole who was proably the strongest OL the Jaguars ever fielded, but I don't believe he was better than Manuwai. Manuwai took names and consistently blew open holes. I loved watching him when studying the play in the trenches. 

Also, I feel like Linder is going to prove to be a better C than Meester ever was, and I have to include the best interior OL from this past season with Norwell.
'02

(07-22-2018, 01:46 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 01:02 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: No love for Chris Naeole? he was better than Manuwai imo. Also, right now I'd take him over Norwell too since I haven't seen much from him.

I considered Naeole who was proably the strongest OL the Jaguars ever fielded, but I don't believe he was better than Manuwai. Manuwai took names and consistently blew open holes. I loved watching him when studying the play in the trenches. 

Also, I feel like Linder is going to prove to be a better C than Meester ever was, and I have to include the best interior OL from this past season with Norwell.

He wasn't stronger than Boselli, was he? 

And I agree about Linder. He's on his way to becoming the 2nd best offensive lineman in team hist.

(07-21-2018, 10:30 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 09:26 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm not sure what you're reading, but no way are they the easiest. GMs are constantly getting it wrong when it comes to selecting round one OLs.

• LT Tony Boselli
  • LG Vince Manuwai
  • C Brandon Linder
  • RG Andrew Norwell
  • RT Leon Searcy

I think the Ben Coleman discussion is an interesting one.

If you were looking solely as a fit inside a run first offense like ours, I agree he would definitely be behind Manuwai and Naoele.

But factoring in his versatility, specifically his ability to plug in at LT and play at a very high level, Ben Coleman would certainly warrant consideration over the other guys.

(07-22-2018, 11:32 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 10:30 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Gimme Ben Coleman instead of Manuwai

I think the Ben Coleman discussion is an interesting one.

If you were looking solely as a fit inside a run first offense like ours, I agree he would definitely be behind Manuwai and Naoele.

But factoring in his versatility, specifically his ability to plug in at LT and play at a very high level, Ben Coleman would certainly warrant consideration over the other guys.

I get that he was versatile, but in addition to the false starts, he really wasn't an ideal G because he couldn't get low for leverage. Now, granted the man was so strong he often won without leverage, but ideally, you want that guy who can always get lower than the guy opposite him. Naeole was the best at that, although I still prefer Manuwai who seemed to have no problem drive blocking even the biggest guys out of the way.
'02

(07-22-2018, 10:20 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 01:46 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I considered Naeole who was proably the strongest OL the Jaguars ever fielded, but I don't believe he was better than Manuwai. Manuwai took names and consistently blew open holes. I loved watching him when studying the play in the trenches. 

He wasn't stronger than Boselli, was he? 

And I agree about Linder. He's on his way to becoming the 2nd best offensive lineman in team hist.

I believe so. Boselli only did 26 reps at his combine. Now I couldn't locate combine stats for Naeole despite his being selected 10th overall, however, his strength became legend while with the Saints. There was something about him weight lifting a car. 
'02

(07-21-2018, 09:26 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

• LT Tony Boselli
  • LG Vince Manuwai
  • C Brandon Linder
  • RG Andrew Norwell
  • RT Leon Searcy

I know people hate hearing this. But i think Searcy not only was almost as good as Boselli, He was actually more important to the offenseive line. I know he was the RT, and in a normal offense the LT is the more important position. Why you might say because he portects the QB's Blindside. But the Jags QB was Mark Brunell Left Handed QB. Boselli did not potect his blind side Searcy did. If Boselli got beat Mark saw it and ran why no sacks from Boselli's LT [BLEEP]. But if searcy got beat bam Brunell took a hit and went down. Im not saying Boselli isnt a HOFer or one of the best LT to play the game. Just understand the postion he played to the QB who he protected. He was more dominant in the run game and shut down any pass rusher most the time but he basically was playing a RT while seacy was playing the  LT in tearms of protecting the QB blindside.

(07-23-2018, 10:19 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:

• LT Tony Boselli
  • LG Vince Manuwai
  • C Brandon Linder
  • RG Andrew Norwell
  • RT Leon Searcy

I know people hate hearing this. But i think Searcy not only was almost as good as Boselli, He was actually more important to the offenseive line. I know he was the RT, and in a normal offense the LT is the more important position. Why you might say because he portects the QB's Blindside. But the Jags QB was Mark Brunell Left Handed QB. Boselli did not potect his blind side Searcy did. If Boselli got beat Mark saw it and ran why no sacks from Boselli's LT [BLEEP]. But if searcy got beat bam Brunell took a hit and went down. Im not saying Boselli isnt a HOFer or one of the best LT to play the game. Just understand the postion he played to the QB who he protected. He was more dominant in the run game and shut down any pass rusher most the time but he basically was playing a RT while seacy was playing the  LT in tearms of protecting the QB blindside.

What I liked both about Boselli and Searcy were that they were bullies against elite pass rushers of their era, like Jason Taylor and Javon Kearse, who were rendered non-factors or even humiliated.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt