Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dante Fowler Suspended

(07-22-2018, 11:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Fowler wouldn't have those numbers on those teams though, he's a product of those around him.

He might have done even better considering he probably would have had considerably more reps. 
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-22-2018, 03:06 PM)Upper Wrote: Pressures predict future sacks way better than sacks predict future sacks. Fowler had a measly 20 pressures to get his 8 sacks for an absurd and exceedingly unlikely to be sustainable 2.5 pressures per sack. The normal ratio for elite pass rushers is 6-7 pressures per sack.

Remember that article that got bandied around when Vic Beasley led the league in sacks and people were saying it was a fluke cause he only averaged 4.5 pressures per sack? Well, they were right...and we should expect a similar if not steeper drop off for Fowler if we're being honest.

Our elite secondary plus the fact that he'll always be getting less attention than the rest of our dline might help him keep a better than expected ratio, but not nearly what it was.

That's actually an incredibly good stat to get so many sacks on so few pressures. I think guys in here are quickly forgetting how few snaps Fowler had. It wasn't like he started. What you really want to look at is both sacks and pressures per number of snaps. In Beasley's case, the diss was that despite his impressive sack count, he had very few pressures for a starter. The "for a starter" part is a key difference.
'02

(07-22-2018, 11:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 11:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 2 off field incidents and multiple immature plays gave him a rep that will stick until it doesn't.

Do those things damage his rep?

Certainly.

Do those things make him a complete bust when he is 24 years old and coming off of a 8 sack season (10 counting the playoffs) playing in a part time role, after missing all of his rookie year with a torn ACL?

Certainly not.

Some people can't or are unwilling to understand the difference.

Fowler will play this year but he’s almost certain to be somewhere else next season.

Hopefully he plays his butt off in this contract year.

Out of all the nitpicky issues with Fowler, the one that concerns me the most is showing up to Camp out-of-shape. Not sure how you can let that happen, and it shows a lack of dedication and work ethic if true. But at the same time, he showed up to the non-mandatory mini camps. So it's weird, I hope all of this is just off-season garbage to give us something to talk about and he plays and has a monster year to help this team get to the next level.

QB play in the AFCS is going to be much better compared to last year and we need the deep rotation in the DL. He can go somewhere else next year as far as I'm concerned, but I'd like to get the most of his talent while he is here.

(07-22-2018, 10:13 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Out of all the nitpicky issues with Fowler, the one that concerns me the most is showing up to Camp out-of-shape. Not sure how you can let that happen, and it shows a lack of dedication and work ethic if true. But at the same time, he showed up to the non-mandatory mini camps. So it's weird, I hope all of this is just off-season garbage to give us something to talk about and he plays and has a monster year to help this team get to the next level.

QB play in the AFCS is going to be much better compared to last year and we need the deep rotation in the DL. He can go somewhere else next year as far as I'm concerned, but I'd like to get the most of his talent while he is here.

He's hurt, how in the heck is he supposed to be in shape?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2018, 10:41 PM by brianmsbc.)

Opens the door for Dawuane Smoot. He seems to have been taking this offseason seriously. This could be a big year for him.

Really most of Fowler's issues are simply lack of maturity. He's still a kid, but he's quickly growing up. Some guys mature early, and some take a while. That's just life. Fowler turns 24 in a few weeks, so hopefully he's finally grown up.
'02

You're right, we should have drafted (insert former FSU or UM player here) instead

(07-22-2018, 11:42 PM)jaglyn Wrote: You're right, we should have drafted (insert former FSU or UM player here) instead

Nah, we should have drafted Todd Gurley out of Georgia.
'02

Well hopefully it's a wake up call for him as a man and a professional.. other than that I'm less than worried about the impact it would have on the field for the team. We'll be down one rotational pass rusher basically. The rookie will get some valuable experience.
No pain, no gain.

(07-23-2018, 02:54 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 11:42 PM)jaglyn Wrote: You're right, we should have drafted (insert former FSU or UM player here) instead

Nah, we should have drafted Todd Gurley out of Georgia.

Very easy to say that 3-4 years later.

(07-22-2018, 07:13 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 03:06 PM)Upper Wrote: Pressures predict future sacks way better than sacks predict future sacks. Fowler had a measly 20 pressures to get his 8 sacks for an absurd and exceedingly unlikely to be sustainable 2.5 pressures per sack. The normal ratio for elite pass rushers is 6-7 pressures per sack.

Remember that article that got bandied around when Vic Beasley led the league in sacks and people were saying it was a fluke cause he only averaged 4.5 pressures per sack? Well, they were right...and we should expect a similar if not steeper drop off for Fowler if we're being honest.

Our elite secondary plus the fact that he'll always be getting less attention than the rest of our dline might help him keep a better than expected ratio, but not nearly what it was.

That's actually an incredibly good stat to get so many sacks on so few pressures. I think guys in here are quickly forgetting how few snaps Fowler had. It wasn't like he started. What you really want to look at is both sacks and pressures per number of snaps. In Beasley's case, the diss was that despite his impressive sack count, he had very few pressures for a starter. The "for a starter" part is a key difference.

We're talking rates so the overall number of starter vs backup snaps doesn't mean anything. It means that Fowler had an extraordinarily fluky pressure to sack ratio season. Some of that is attributable to having the best secondary in the league giving him an extra second. Some of it is attributable to having a stacked dline that sometimes leaves him as a forgotten man. But none of it adds up to a sustainable sack rate that is more than double the other elite pass rushers in the game.

Also, looking at total snap totals is awfully misleading...especially in today's specialized NFL. A lot of the snaps Fowler missed were run plays that he isn't on the field for. If we were comparing number of pass rushes Fowler would still have somewhat less than other rushers, but it would be far closer.

(07-22-2018, 10:13 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Out of all the nitpicky issues with Fowler, the one that concerns me the most is showing up to Camp out-of-shape. Not sure how you can let that happen, and it shows a lack of dedication and work ethic if true. But at the same time, he showed up to the non-mandatory mini camps. So it's weird, I hope all of this is just off-season garbage to give us something to talk about and he plays and has a monster year to help this team get to the next level.

I'm on the road and a bit confused by this.  Veterans don't show up until Wednesday.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

The hate for Fowler is real here.  The man doesn;t even get the reps he should, due to calias.  When cambell, dareus, and jackson are up, again, who do we sign if fowler walks.  Don't GM my team please, pick another hobby.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(07-23-2018, 08:03 AM)copycat Wrote:

I'm on the road and a bit confused by this.  Veterans don't show up until Wednesday.

There was an article that said he showed up out of shape. Not sure who the source is, I don't remember the article listing one. 

Article could be wrong but I think that is where the rumor is coming from.

(07-23-2018, 08:46 AM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(07-23-2018, 08:03 AM)copycat Wrote: I'm on the road and a bit confused by this.  Veterans don't show up until Wednesday.

There was an article that said he showed up out of shape. Not sure who the source is, I don't remember the article listing one. 

Article could be wrong but I think that is where the rumor is coming from.

Gotcha!  Thanks.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

should get a fine for throwing stuff into the lake too.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(07-23-2018, 08:03 AM)copycat Wrote:

I can't remember where I read the policy, but injured players are supposed to maintain contact with training staff in the offseason for rehab. In addition, the injured player, whether rookie or vet, must show up on day one of camp opening.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-23-2018, 10:06 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(07-23-2018, 08:03 AM)copycat Wrote: I'm on the road and a bit confused by this.  Veterans don't show up until Wednesday.
I can't remember where I read the policy, but injured players are supposed to maintain contact with training staff in the offseason for rehab. In addition, the injured player, whether rookie or vet, must show up on day one of camp opening.
Not reporting is a different list and the Jags would have put him on that list. Then moved him to the PUP when he showed up.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk