Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tacks' Dodd MIA?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...port-list/

Per the article, tacks also put 1st round pick Rashaan Evans on the Non Football Injury list.

I wonder what happened to Evans.

As for Dodd, I wonder if we could put him in the "bust" category, considering how little he has produced.  Amazing, really, considering how trading down always leads to a talent windfall.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I saw where Tennessee notified Dodd that he ain't 'round no mo'.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(07-25-2018, 08:24 AM)Deacon Wrote: I saw where Tennessee notified Dodd that he ain't 'round no mo'.

They cut him?

I was really high on Dodd and Lawson when they came out of Clemson and was not happy when they wound up at Buffalo and the tacks.

However, both have proven to be busts for them.  Yaay!!!

Looking back at DaQuan Bowers, Andre Branch, Lawson and Dodd, I wonder if these serve as cautionary tales about Clemson DEs.

Granted, Beasley had a huge 2016, where he registered 16.5 sacks, but was quiet his rookie year and last year, with 4 and 5 sacks in those years.

(07-25-2018, 09:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-25-2018, 08:24 AM)Deacon Wrote: I saw where Tennessee notified Dodd that he ain't 'round no mo'.

They cut him?

I was really high on Dodd and Lawson when they came out of Clemson and was not happy when they wound up at Buffalo and the tacks.

Looking back at DaQuan Bowers, Andre Branch, Lawson and Dodd, I wonder if these serve as cautionary tales about Clemson DEs.

Granted, Beasley had a huge 2016, where he registered 16.5 sacks, but was quiet his rookie year and last year, with 4 and 5 sacks in those years.

Beasley's 2016 was a statistical outlier season, kind of like Fowler's 2017, but even more extreme.

(07-25-2018, 09:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

They cut him?

I read it on the Twitter sphere, so take it for what that is worth. I'm trying to find a more reliable source.

As for Clemson DE's... I think I'd rather take an FSU guy.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(07-25-2018, 09:46 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(07-25-2018, 09:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote: They cut him?

Beasley's 2016 was a statistical outlier season, kind of like Fowler's 2017, but even more extreme.

Not busting your chops with this question, but do you not like smaller DEs?

Just curious.

(07-25-2018, 10:09 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-25-2018, 09:46 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Beasley's 2016 was a statistical outlier season, kind of like Fowler's 2017, but even more extreme.

Not busting your chops with this question, but do you not like smaller DEs?

Just curious.

I like DEs that win in one on one pass rush situations. Ngakoue is just fine by me and he's by no means big.

Clemson NT D.J. Reader has worked out fine for us.. but so have pretty much all Clemson players we've drafted. It's funny, because Lawson and Dodd went in the 1st and 2nd round while we got Wilfork's replacement in the 5th in the 2016 draft.

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2018, 11:20 AM by Bullseye.)

(07-25-2018, 10:42 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Clemson NT D.J. Reader has worked out fine for us.. but so have pretty much all Clemson players we've drafted. It's funny, because Lawson and Dodd went in the 1st and 2nd round while we got Wilfork's replacement in the 5th in the 2016 draft.

Yes, Reader has performed well for you guys. 

I know every time I've seen him, I've been decently impressed with his play inside.

But I wonder if Clemson DEs are overrated.

Dodd will land on his feet... in a beef o bradys kitchen.
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(07-25-2018, 10:59 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Dodd will land on his feet... in a beef o bradys kitchen.

In fairness to Dodd, I always thought he would be best with his hand on the ground.  With the tacks, he played as a stand up OLB.

Do you think that played a part in why Dodd failed with Tennessee?  If so, what part?  If not, why do you think Dodd failed there?

The general consensus is that he would have been better with his hand down, but the problems seem to be deeper than that. He was injured. Then there were numerous reports that he just wasn’t willing to put any effort in. Low effort and showing up to camp out of shape was the last straw for this staff, it seems.

(07-28-2018, 10:56 AM)Psychop1 Wrote: The general consensus is that he would have been better with his hand down, but the problems seem to be deeper than that. He was injured. Then there were numerous reports that he just wasn’t willing to put any effort in. Low effort and showing up to camp out of shape was the last straw for this staff, it seems.

Well, not that I'm rooting for you guys to do well or anything, but I liked your first two picks.

They should help your LB corps tremendously.

Of course, I thought the same for Dodd, so hopefully I am wrong about Evans and Landry, too.   Laughing

How have they been in camp so far?

So what do you think of Johnson, that NT from Penn State?  It's my understanding he isn't a starter.  is that correct?

Whether he is a starter or not, what is your opinion of him?  Bust?  Disappointment?  Average?  Where on the spectrum does he fit?

(07-28-2018, 10:56 AM)Psychop1 Wrote: The general consensus is that he would have been better with his hand down, but the problems seem to be deeper than that. He was injured. Then there were numerous reports that he just wasn’t willing to put any effort in. Low effort and showing up to camp out of shape was the last straw for this staff, it seems.

Some players develop a can full of quit when they sign multi-million dollar contracts. All motivation disappears. Dodd probably thought that being a high round draft pick would've bought him years to coast..not with today's contracts.

(07-30-2018, 02:08 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:

Some players develop a can full of quit when they sign multi-million dollar contracts. All motivation disappears. Dodd probably thought that being a high round draft pick would've bought him years to coast..not with today's contracts.

Impossible to say for sure.

Listening to an interview/press conference after his release, Dodd was humble and gracious.  Did not strike me as "one of those guys."

Robinson seemed to speak highly of his character.

But again, it's impossible to know either way from the outside looking in.

From a purely football perspective, I'm glad it didn't work out for the tacks. 

Now then, time for you guys to have some more busts.

Anytime a high round pick is let go, it's almost always because they don't want to put in work. Or they flat out can't play against the world's best athletes.

Dodd has given up a chance that most can only dream of. I wonder how much money he has to give back?