Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Best Area to Stay in Jax?

Hey Everybody! I'm bringing a handful of friends (bunch of married guys in our mid 30s) to Jacksonville for the Texans game on 10/21 and I'm wondering what's the best part of town to stay in. We're debating between staying downtown or staying out near the beaches. It'll basically be a bachelor party type weekend, so looking for fun bars, fun activities, etc. None of us have ever been to Jacksonville before, so any advice you all have would be appreciated. Thanks!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Norwood Ave is nice, as is the area around Moncrief and Golfair. Enjoy ya dirty tinhorn
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2018, 10:09 AM by SeldomRite.)

I'd suggest changing your plans, nothing ruins a weekend quite like leaving in the third quarter because your team is losing so badly. Just get tickets to the bills game the week before so you'll have an outside shot at witnessing a win. I'm sure there are plenty of hotels you can get drunk at in Houston if you want to make it feel like a bachelor party.

Gator Lodge
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Westside's the bestside!

(07-25-2018, 10:09 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I'd suggest changing your plans, nothing ruins a weekend quite like leaving in the third quarter because your team is losing so badly. Just get tickets to the bills game the week before so you'll have an outside shot at witnessing a win. I'm sure there are plenty of hotels you can get drunk at in Houston if you want to make it feel like a bachelor party.

Not Texans fans in the slightest. Just football fans that pick a random city/game to go to every year.

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2018, 01:03 PM by Jags32250.)

(07-25-2018, 12:48 PM)ComingtoJax Wrote:
(07-25-2018, 10:09 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I'd suggest changing your plans, nothing ruins a weekend quite like leaving in the third quarter because your team is losing so badly. Just get tickets to the bills game the week before so you'll have an outside shot at witnessing a win. I'm sure there are plenty of hotels you can get drunk at in Houston if you want to make it feel like a bachelor party.

Not Texans fans in the slightest. Just football fans that pick a random city/game to go to every year.
Oh, ok, don't go to the westside then!!! I'd suggest the beaches for sure.

No reason to stay anywhere in Jax, but the beaches.

San Marco is fun if you can swing an Air B&B house near the restaurants/bars. And of course, the beaches - lots of good barhopping to be done there.
definitely avoid downtown if you're looking for fun nightlife - it's dead.

Southside is up and coming, as well. But, San Marco and the Beaches will treat you right. Welcome to Duval!

My bad, don't go anywhere I suggested. Stay @ the beach or in St Augustine.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Downtown is a lot better than it used to be especially if they're having an event over the weekend. But if you are looking to pub crawl, beaches or St. Augustine are the places to go. Neither are close to the stadium area though.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

5 points/Riverside has some nice bars and restaurants as well fyi

Northwest Jax from dawn to dusk

(07-25-2018, 09:37 AM)ComingtoJax Wrote: Hey Everybody! I'm bringing a handful of friends (bunch of married guys in our mid 30s) to Jacksonville for the Texans game on 10/21 and I'm wondering what's the best part of town to stay in. We're debating between staying downtown or staying out near the beaches. It'll basically be a bachelor party type weekend, so looking for fun bars, fun activities, etc. None of us have ever been to Jacksonville before, so any advice you all have would be appreciated. Thanks!

First of all, welcome to The Jungle.  I moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

As far as what area to stay in, I highly recommend the beaches and highly discourage you from staying downtown.  There just isn't much to do downtown for a group that you describe.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The beaches have a lot of bars and restaurants but it's about 15-20 miles from downtown and the stadium.

If you stayed downtown, you will have the downtown bars and restaurants plus 5 points/Riverside and San Marco are a 5 min uber drive away with their bars and restaurants.

(07-25-2018, 06:58 PM)Predator Wrote: The beaches have a lot of bars and restaurants but it's about 15-20 miles from downtown and the stadium.

If you stayed downtown, you will have the downtown bars and restaurants plus 5 points/Riverside and San Marco are a 5 min uber drive away with their bars and restaurants.

When I came I stayed downtown and pretty much did the above, which I thought were cool enough areas. 

Plus I was able to walk to the ferry to get to the stadium and back. 

That being said, I know less about Jacksonville than basically everyone else on the board so YMMV.

I got back yesterday from my first trip to Jax (from the UK) stopped in St Augustine and found it pretty nice!

Thanks for the advice everybody!

(07-25-2018, 09:37 AM)ComingtoJax Wrote: Hey Everybody! I'm bringing a handful of friends (bunch of married guys in our mid 30s) to Jacksonville for the Texans game on 10/21 and I'm wondering what's the best part of town to stay in.

Atlanta.

Failing that, St. Augustine.