Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brown vs Jacobs

If you had to pick one today, which one starts? I think Brown has the nod simply due to he's been around. But Jacobs has good speed and plays just like Smith and Jack. If I had to pick now I honestly don't know which one I would pick.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-26-2018, 04:18 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: If you had to pick one today, which one starts? I think Brown has the nod simply due to he's been around. But Jacobs has good speed and plays just like Smith and Jack. If I had to pick now I honestly don't know which one I would pick.

I have to see Jacobs play during the preseason, before I can make a semi-accurate assessment. Right now, I gotta believe Brown is the starter though. Jacobs has the ability to fit right in with Smith and Jack, but he has to get used to the speed of the pro game and that is what will determine the outcome.

I really really like Jacobs, at least what he brings to the table. 

For his size I think his combine stats are impressive and he could be just what we need in Jax. Our linebackers are a little undersized but make up for it in speed. However, they can still get overpowered in the run game if lineman get to the 2nd level. I think Jacobs in a guy who can hold his own at the point of attack while also flashing some pass rushing ability/coverage ability. He will have to show it on the field but I'm very excited for his potential.

I thought Blair Brown played well when given the opportunities last season. He hustles on the field, knows the position better than Jacobs, and will likely be the starter to begin the season. However, Jacobs will challenge him for the spot. It will be a good competition.

It’s early but signs say it is Jacob’s job to lose. We’ll see who they start at Sam the next few practices to maybe gain some insight.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-26-2018, 04:18 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: If you had to pick one today, which one starts? I think Brown has the nod simply due to he's been around. But Jacobs has good speed and plays just like Smith and Jack. If I had to pick now I honestly don't know which one I would pick.

As a Bobcat homer, I'm pulling for Brown.  But, if Jacobs starting gives us the better chance to win, I am all for that. 

Questions like these are what make preseason games interesting for me.  I love to see guys step up and make the decision easy for the coaches.

(07-26-2018, 01:17 PM)Mikey Wrote:

As a Bobcat homer, I'm pulling for Brown.  But, if Jacobs starting gives us the better chance to win, I am all for that. 

Questions like these are what make preseason games interesting for me.  I love to see guys step up and make the decision easy for the coaches.

Ditto!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-26-2018, 12:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1...9501030400

I saw this earlier and was surprised.  I figured Brown would start off as the leading candidate to be SAM due to his familiarity with the scheme.

Maybe it's the coaching staff trying to push his buttons, or perhaps Jacobs is a better fit.

It'll be interesting to watch that play out.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-26-2018, 12:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1...9501030400

That's great news.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/7/26/...ining-camp

Based on team speed on defense...with guys like Smith, Jack...i would even say Yannick is a speedster even though he plays DR. Guys like Ramsey, Bouye, Myrick (when his number is called), we have to have a top 3 team as far as speed alone goes, across the board on defense.

Jacobs fits right in because he can run from each sideline. Teams simply will not be able to bounce plays outside.

Take a look at Tennessee, who made the playoffs last year, their RB Henry seems to bounce everything. Since we play them twice and maybe even a 3rd time...guys like Jacobs will be called on to make those plays on the outside.

Brown is more of a technician in my opinion. See runner...stop runner.

Jacobs can catch you, tackle you, strip you, and scoop and score. I can't believe he fell to the 7th round. He has 3rd round talent.

If I absolutely had to make a pick right now, give me Jacobs and his tenacity.

But I got a polished and groomed player in Brown ready to go when I need him.

Just imagine this:

Ramsey and Bouye, ok they are gonna do their thing.

Campbell, Jackson, Yannick, Fowler, Bryan, Dareus, will do there thing in the trenches.

And Jack, Smith and Jacobs will be roaming the field and taking lanes away so quickly. Bring in Brown on goalie and short to go situations. It's a defensive coach's dream.

Based on that post it looks like Jacobs has the nod right now.

Whether or not Jacobs wins the job or not, it's great to see the coaches have such confidence in a late round rookie. It gives us hope and at worst, it gives us much needed depth at the LB position.

I knee you guys would come around to Leon. Nobody knew who I was talking about when I was pounding the table for us to take him in the 6th. I wasnt expecting him to last past the 5th round.

(07-26-2018, 08:41 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I knee you guys would come around to Leon. Nobody knew who I was talking about when I was pounding the table for us to take him in the 6th. I wasnt expecting him to last past the 5th round.

In fairness, I haven't come around on Jacobs yet.

I still haven't seen him.

We've had one unpadded practice.

Am I mildly surprised they put him in as a starter?  Yes.

Does that mean he will stay there?  No.

Am I rooting against him?  No.

Do I hope you were right about him?  Yes, if it means he improves our defense.

(07-26-2018, 08:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-26-2018, 08:41 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I knee you guys would come around to Leon. Nobody knew who I was talking about when I was pounding the table for us to take him in the 6th. I wasnt expecting him to last past the 5th round.

In fairness, I haven't come around on Jacobs yet.

I still haven't seen him.

We've had one unpadded practice.

Am I mildly surprised they put him in as a starter?  Yes.

Does that mean he will stay there?  No.

Am I rooting against him?  No.

Do I hope you were right about him?  Yes, if it means he improves our defense.

Bingo!  If some dude walking by TIAA Bank Field right now, wanders into the locker room, puts on some pads and beats out Telvin Smith then SWEET!  The team has just gotten better.

We all know I am biased but the bottom line is may the best man win.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

The more I read about Jacobs (and the athleticism he possesses for a guy his size) , the more excited I get that he can grow into the SAM starting role quickly.

Why the heck did this guy last till the seventh? Was it lack of starting experience in college?

(07-27-2018, 01:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The more I read about Jacobs (and the athleticism he possesses for a guy his size) ,  the more excited I get that he can grow into the SAM starting role quickly.

Why the heck did this guy last till the seventh?  Was it lack of starting experience in college?

That's the vibe I got. My take on it was that he was in that same 'Tom Brady' type of situation in college where he was good, but there was always a belief that the other guy was better. But the man stuck to his work and made himself as good as he could and waited for his time.

It's looking more and more like his time is now.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(07-27-2018, 01:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The more I read about Jacobs (and the athleticism he possesses for a guy his size) ,  the more excited I get that he can grow into the SAM starting role quickly.

Why the heck did this guy last till the seventh?  Was it lack of starting experience in college?

He missed some time with injuries and was also being groomed to play FB at Wisconsin. They couldn't decide if he was an ILB/OLB or FB. I believe it's just a case of a team having a super athletic player and they just couldn't decide which position to stick him at. Their indecision, led to our gain.

Also, LBs are not highly saught after unless they have an impressive pass rush. 
'02