Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Telvin Smith: Jags are 'the best team in the league'

Telvin Smith: Jags are 'the best team in the league'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...the-league

After Jaguars defensive lineman Malik Jackson predicted a 16-0 season, and corner A.J. Bouye said it was Super Bowl or bust, linebacker Telvin Smith added his own take on the 2018 Jags.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm glad to see such confidence. We should have a "Superbowl or bust" type mentality at this point. We have the top defense in the league, a very good running game with an improved O-Line, young, talented receivers and a QB who looked greatly improved in 2017. I'm expecting great things from this team, as long as all our key players stay healthy. That is the key.

(07-26-2018, 07:54 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm glad to see such confidence. We should have a "Superbowl or bust" type mentality at this point. We have the top defense in the league, a very good running game with an improved O-Line, young, talented receivers and a QB who looked greatly improved in 2017. I'm expecting great things from this team, as long as all our key players stay healthy. That is the key.
Injuries are always the key, but this team has enough depth to continue winning if a few guys go down. That being said, there are a handful of players they CANNOT afford to lose for a significant stretch of time. This would include Bortles, Fournette and Ramsay. Losing any of these guys for several games would derail the team's Super Bowl hopes. I am anxious to see how Kessler performs during the pre-season. He has always been accurate and he should be an upgrade over Henne.

(07-26-2018, 05:42 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(07-26-2018, 07:54 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm glad to see such confidence. We should have a "Superbowl or bust" type mentality at this point. We have the top defense in the league, a very good running game with an improved O-Line, young, talented receivers and a QB who looked greatly improved in 2017. I'm expecting great things from this team, as long as all our key players stay healthy. That is the key.
Injuries are always the key, but this team has enough depth to continue winning if a few guys go down. That being said, there are a handful of players they CANNOT afford to lose for a significant stretch of time. This would include Bortles, Fournette and Ramsay. Losing any of these guys for several games would derail the team's Super Bowl hopes. I am anxious to see how Kessler performs during the pre-season. He has always been accurate and he should be an upgrade over Henne.

I was thinking that losing Ramsey or Bouye would be disastrous. I see a huge lack of depth at CB. I pray they stay healthy all season. The same for Telvin and Jack. I think we're good everywhere else on defense.

The only thing and I mean the only thing that I would call our weakness is we lost (two) 1k-yard receivers, that combined for 20+ TDs. 

That's hard to replace. 

Westbrook is as talented as they come, but we keep waiting on him to break out.

Cole is a blazer who possesses game speed. He can absolutely fly. 

Lee has became our chain mover and makes gritty catches on those crossing routes. My fear is teams will game plan for this eventually and sit in a soft zone and force Bortles to either Bort or make a good read. 

Moncrief just hasn't won me over yet. I need him to show me something. And preseason is the perfect time, so let's not over look these 4 meaningless games too much. But Moncrief just hasn't probed himself yet. 

Mickens is a special teamer that will probably give us a catch here and there every couple of games. 

Then there comes Chark Jr. Who I think is going to end up our stud muffin at WR. He can run, he can catch, he has great size and he is light footed. 

If he will own it, and make this his baby. He will have every chance to become our go to target. Oh and did I mention he will be a wonderful Red zone target. 

ASJ - in my opinion he is a triple upgrade from Lewis. I will go back to that thing you just can't teach....speed. He is faster than the giraffe in sand. So that should open the field up at least a few more yards than what Lewis provided. 

We have a WR group that just needs to prove it.

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2018, 08:07 PM by Bullseye.)

(07-26-2018, 07:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

The only thing and I mean the only thing that I would call our weakness is we lost (two) 1k-yard receivers, that combined for 20+ TDs. 

That's hard to replace. 

1.  Westbrook is as talented as they come, but we keep waiting on him to break out.

Lee has became our chain mover and makes gritty catches on those crossing routes. My fear is teams will game plan for this eventually and sit in a soft zone and force Bortles to either Bort or make a good read. 

2.  Moncrief just hasn't won me over yet. I need him to show me something. And preseason is the perfect time, so let's not over look these 4 meaningless games too much. 3  But Moncrief just hasn't probed himself yet. 

Mickens is a special teamer that will probably give us a catch here and there every couple of games. 

Then there comes Chark Jr. Who I think is going to end up our stud muffin at WR. He can run, he can catch, he has great size and he is light footed. 

If he will own it, and make this his baby. He will have every chance to become our go to target. Oh and did I mention he will be a wonderful Red zone target. 

ASJ - in my opinion he is a triple upgrade from Lewis. I will go back to that thing you just can't teach....speed. He is faster than the giraffe in sand. So that should open the field up at least a few more yards than what Lewis provided. 

(Emphasis and numbering added)

1.  Patience.  Westbrook was a rookie last year that played exactly half the season.  Give him a realistic chance.

2.  Patience.  Moncrief just got here and today was the first practice of training camp.  Give him a realistic chance.

3.  What Moncrief does or does not do on his own time is his own business.  But I'm curious to know how you might know this.

Laughing 

Sorry..I know it was a typo, but I couldn't resist busting your chops over this.

This was the funniest typo since "Curb Your Enthusiasm's" "Beloved aunt" obituary snafu.   Laughing

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Proved corrects as Probed in my phone for whatever reason.

(07-26-2018, 08:10 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Proved corrects as Probed in my phone for whatever reason.

I hate autocorrect!

I turn it off every chance I get.

I think they are the most talented team in the league. Best team? Not until we dethrone the Pats.

(07-26-2018, 08:44 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I think they are the most talented team in the league. Best team? Not until we dethrone the Pats.

Agreed.

I love the confidence the guys are displaying, but we gotta do it on the field in order for it to mean anything.

I think we CAN prove it, but until we do...it's just talk.

(07-26-2018, 07:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-26-2018, 07:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The only thing and I mean the only thing that I would call our weakness is we lost (two) 1k-yard receivers, that combined for 20+ TDs. 

That's hard to replace. 

1.  Westbrook is as talented as they come, but we keep waiting on him to break out.

2.  Moncrief just hasn't won me over yet. I need him to show me something. And preseason is the perfect time, so let's not over look these 4 meaningless games too much. 3  But Moncrief just hasn't probed himself yet. 

(Emphasis and numbering added)

1.  Patience.  Westbrook was a rookie last year that played exactly half the season.  Give him a realistic chance.

2.  Patience.  Moncrief just got here and today was the first practice of training camp.  Give him a realistic chance.

3.  What Moncrief does or does not do on his own time is his own business.  But I'm curious to know how you might know this.

Laughing ime to develop 

Sorry..I know it was a typo, but I couldn't resist busting your chops over this.

This was the funniest typo since "Curb Your Enthusiasm's" "Beloved aunt" obituary snafu.   Laughing

1. Agreed on Westbrook. I like what I saw from him in limited action last year. Rookie WR's sometimes take time to develop and he hasn't even had an entire season under his belt yet. 

2. I agree to a point, but Moncrief worked with one of the best QB's in the NFL when he was with the Colts and made little impact. He's gonna have to really impress me to make me believe he can beat out Cole, Westbrook or Lee for a starting position, as well as the fact I am very high on Chark as well.

Well they sure are putting some good locker room/poster board material out there.

I don't mind the talk, but it's the teams first winning season since like 07. Can this team win a SB? For sure. Just doesn't make sense to be talking all this with no track record. This team is insanely talented, but personally i want to see how Marrone adjusts in his second year. Personally I felt like he lost the AFC champ game... I need to see more from him.

I think it’s hilarious that the Texans are getting more buzz than the Jags right now. Outside of Hopkins, do they have a position that is clearly better than anything the Jags have? Watson over Blake maaaaybe but Watson has only played in 6 or 7 games. Their OLine isn’t any better and our DLine has improved. Our OLine has gotten better and who knows how theirs will play out.

Man I can’t wait to start the season.

(07-27-2018, 02:48 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I don't mind the talk, but it's the teams first winning season since like 07. Can this team win a SB? For sure. Just doesn't make sense to be talking all this with no track record. This team is insanely talented, but personally i want to see how Marrone adjusts in his second year. Personally I felt like he lost the AFC champ game... I need to see more from him.

In my opinion that's exactly the reason they CAN talk. If this team had a decade of winning behind them, I'd expect them to be more humble and let their record speak for themselves. Team could use a little hype that the fans can get behind.

(07-27-2018, 06:09 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think it’s hilarious that the Texans are getting more buzz than the Jags right now. Outside of Hopkins, do they have a position that is clearly better than anything the Jags have? Watson over Blake maaaaybe but Watson has only played in 6 or 7 games. Their OLine isn’t any better and our DLine has improved. Our OLine has gotten better and who knows how theirs will play out.

Watson looked pretty good but sometimes QBs come in like that and then the league's defenses figure them out a little bit. That's why a sophomore slump isn't so unusual. But it's more their defense that I expect to keep the Jags from running away with the division.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

That confidence can turn into arrogance real quick. Last year doesn't mean anything anymore. There's still plenty of room for improvement over last year and it's important the team doesn't get a big head. Stay humble and hungry. I can't imagine Coughlin likes hearing this stuff.
No pain, no gain.

(07-28-2018, 01:06 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: That confidence can turn into arrogance real quick. Last year doesn't mean anything anymore. There's still plenty of room for improvement over last year and it's important the team doesn't get a big head. Stay humble and hungry. I can't imagine Coughlin likes hearing this stuff.

Read the entire statement from Smith.  There was nothing arrogant about any of it. 

Quote:"I think we're the best team in the league," Smith said, via the team's official website. "I am not knocking anyone. There are some talented teams out there. If I don't lock in right now and believe wholeheartedly that my team will be the last team standing, then I don't think you really are ready for that fight that is about to come."
Smith said he and his teammates don't fear such heightened comments because expectations can breed commitment to excellence.
"I think you can only set the bar too high when you do not believe in yourself," Smith said. "I think this team is full of confidence, full of talent, full of hard work and dedication. The bar is as high as we set it. It is not where can we go, it is where do we want to go. That is what we are working on right now, making sure we go where we want to go come February."

He's simply adopting the mindset required to put in the work and take the next step. I'd wager that Coughlin likes these comments.

(07-27-2018, 06:09 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think it’s hilarious that the Texans are getting more buzz than the Jags right now. Outside of Hopkins, do they have a position that is clearly better than anything the Jags have? Watson over Blake maaaaybe but Watson has only played in 6 or 7 games. Their OLine isn’t any better and our DLine has improved. Our OLine has gotten better and who knows how theirs will play out.

I agree. Plus Fournette and our run game is stronger.