Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stand Your Ground

(07-29-2018, 04:09 AM)lastonealive Wrote: While I don't agree with parking in those spots if not entitled. Looks like the other guy was looking for an argument and maybe feeling a bit braver due to carrying a weapon. I mean did it matter? there was multiple free spots right next to the door and nobody affected.

The carrying of a gun just caused a completely pointless death from a nothing incident.

Seriously it doesn't even look like the handicap spot is the closest to the entrance door?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-29-2018, 12:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 12:09 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: He backed away and stood there. Canting your body doesn't take the threat away. He's already shown aggression. Why would you put the burden on the victim to flee, when in this case, the attacker could have done the same but didn't. You don't hold him to the same standard? How is Drejka supposed to flee when he's on the ground and McGlokton looks like he's about to whoop his [BLEEP]? When Drejka pulled the gun, everyone ran except McGlokton. The entire duration from push-to-shooting was less than 5 seconds. From the point where Drejka sat up in a position where he could defend himself and pulled the gun, it was about 1.5 seconds. Think about that. Think about what you would do with someone walking toward you, still posturing as if they wanted to attack you (after already pushing you), and then realize 1.5 seconds has already passed.

The girlfriend's fear is relevant because, if he was threatening, then a reasonable person wouldn't get out of the car unless they're preparing for further conflict.

You're right; we don't hear anything. The girlfriend has never claimed he was threatening, however. In fact, she said he only criticized her for parking there and asked her to move. She said she had the right to park in a handicapped parking space so she isn't very smart either. In my opinion, he's an idiot for making such a big deal about it. Him criticizing her isn't illegal though. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that you said we don't know what was said implying that Drejka could have been threatening--justifying the push? In the same way, we don't know if McGlokton told Drejka he was going to kill him. 

Drejka is an idiot. He should've just parked and went about his business. He wasn't the one to escalate this, however.

But he did in fact start it.

Only if you consider berrating some an act of violence.

(07-28-2018, 09:23 PM)TJBender Wrote: I believe in the castle doctrine. If you're inside my house in the middle of the night and you so much as look up before running for the door after I catch you, I'd put one between your eyes in a heartbeat.

I don't believe in or agree with a law that allows a person to open fire because someone else knocked them on their [BLEEP] then backed away. The shooter should be charged with second degree murder. Partly because pulling a gun in that situation was an unreasonable escalation, but mostly because only a coward pulls out a gun when faced with a fistfight.

Who said anything about a fistfight?  I missed the part where the attacker pulled out the Queensbury Rules and said we will keep all aggression within these parameters.  But even if it was "just" a fistfight, does that mean it's okay for the younger and stronger to beat up the older and weaker?

(07-29-2018, 07:30 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 12:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But he did in fact start it.

Only if you consider berrating some an act of violence.

Sure sounds like he was doing more than just "berating" and in more than just this incident.

"The owner of the convenience store in Clearwater told ABC affiliate WFTS that Drejka had assaulted customers in the store’s parking lot before. And Rich Kelly, who frequents the store, claimed Drejka picked a fight with him over a parking spot about a month ago, calling him racial slurs and threatening to kill him, WFTS reported[/url]."  [url=https://abcnews.go.com/US/victims-girlfriend-florida-gunman-provoked-fatal-stand-ground/story?id=56751894]Link

I think the guy is an [BLEEP] who went looking for trouble until he found it. Now someone is dead and we have to listen to people assail our rights because this guy abused his.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-29-2018, 08:22 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
(07-28-2018, 09:23 PM)TJBender Wrote: I believe in the castle doctrine. If you're inside my house in the middle of the night and you so much as look up before running for the door after I catch you, I'd put one between your eyes in a heartbeat.

I don't believe in or agree with a law that allows a person to open fire because someone else knocked them on their [BLEEP] then backed away. The shooter should be charged with second degree murder. Partly because pulling a gun in that situation was an unreasonable escalation, but mostly because only a coward pulls out a gun when faced with a fistfight.

Who said anything about a fistfight?  I missed the part where the attacker pulled out the Queensbury Rules and said we will keep all aggression within these parameters.  But even if it was "just" a fistfight, does that mean it's okay for the younger and stronger to beat up the older and weaker?

When the "older and weaker" starts it with threats and has a history of saying he's going to kill someone? Absolutely. Threatening a woman with her babies in the car over a parking space? You're defending a piece of trash who abused his rights to kill someone. The more I read the more this guy needs to be put in front of a judge and jury, and maybe sit in a jail cell for the rest of his miserable life.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-29-2018, 12:09 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(07-28-2018, 11:02 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The text in bold isn't true. As soon as Drejka starts reaching for his gun McGlokton steps back at least two steps, then turns slightly sideways. He was clearly backing away and ceased his aggressive behavior. At that point Drejka had the upper hand and was in control. There was no need to fire.

I'm not sure what the girlfriend's fear, if she was afraid, had to do with it, but if I had two kids in the car and some man was confronting me, pointing at me, I would get out of the car to talk to him.

We also don't hear anything on the video, so we can't say for certain why McGlokton shoved Drejka. 

There may be more to this. There were reports of Drejka harassing another person for the same reason. We'll see.

One thing I find ironic is Drejka isn't even parked in a lined, designated parking spot himself.

He backed away and stood there. Canting your body doesn't take the threat away. He's already shown aggression. Why would you put the burden on the victim to flee, when in this case, the attacker could have done the same but didn't. You don't hold him to the same standard? How is Drejka supposed to flee when he's on the ground and McGlokton looks like he's about to whoop his [BLEEP]? When Drejka pulled the gun, everyone ran except McGlokton. The entire duration from push-to-shooting was less than 5 seconds. From the point where Drejka sat up in a position where he could defend himself and pulled the gun, it was about 1.5 seconds. Think about that. Think about what you would do with someone walking toward you, still posturing as if they wanted to attack you (after already pushing you), and then realize 1.5 seconds has already passed.

The girlfriend's fear is relevant because, if he was threatening, then a reasonable person wouldn't get out of the car unless they're preparing for further conflict.

You're right; we don't hear anything. The girlfriend has never claimed he was threatening, however. In fact, she said he only criticized her for parking there and asked her to move. She said she had the right to park in a handicapped parking space so she isn't very smart either. In my opinion, he's an idiot for making such a big deal about it. Him criticizing her isn't illegal though. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that you said we don't know what was said implying that Drejka could have been threatening--justifying the push? In the same way, we don't know if McGlokton told Drejka he was going to kill him. 

Drejka is an idiot. He should've just parked and went about his business. He wasn't the one to escalate this, however.

You're telling me if you're sitting in a car with 2 young children and a man approaches you, walks from front to back inspecting your car, begins talking to and pointing at you, there is no justifiable reason to get out of your car to confront him? Drejka escalated the situation, not her. And it appears he may have done it before. 

Everyone ran? We see 4 people, one of them the shooter. The man following McGlokton out of the store moved quickly out of the way, McGlokton's girlfriend backed away, just like McGlokton. Nobody ran. They saw a man pull a gun and got out of the way as best they could given the few seconds before Drejka pulled the trigger. 

You are correct, we don't know what anyone said. That's why it should be brought before a jury.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(07-29-2018, 07:10 AM)EricC85 Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 04:09 AM)lastonealive Wrote: While I don't agree with parking in those spots if not entitled. Looks like the other guy was looking for an argument and maybe feeling a bit braver due to carrying a weapon. I mean did it matter? there was multiple free spots right next to the door and nobody affected.

The carrying of a gun just caused a completely pointless death from a nothing incident.

Seriously it doesn't even look like the handicap spot is the closest to the entrance door?

It's not uncommon to locate the handicapped parking space and wheelchair ramp on the side of a building instead of as close as possible. For wheelchair users especially, it is just as important to have room on at least one side to transfer from car seat to wheelchair, or for a van with a ramp. I use a motorized wheelchair, I'll park at the far end of a parking lot if it's the only way to insure nobody can block my ramp.

My experience has been that the worst offenders are people with handicapped parking permits not understanding the importance of parking within the space and worse, using the privilege unnecessarily. Parking close but staying in the vehicle while an able bodied companion goes into a store, or letting a friend or family member use the placard are the most common offenses.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I'm sorry, but the officer in this thread is actually expecting the man to flee the scene while a hostile man with a gun is right there next to his girlfriend and children? Who would do that? And in my opinion, you have a lot more control if you're facing the guy. You turn your back and he might just shoot you dead right there, based on reports about this guy. What a mess.

(07-29-2018, 09:57 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 12:09 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: He backed away and stood there. Canting your body doesn't take the threat away. He's already shown aggression. Why would you put the burden on the victim to flee, when in this case, the attacker could have done the same but didn't. You don't hold him to the same standard? How is Drejka supposed to flee when he's on the ground and McGlokton looks like he's about to whoop his [BLEEP]? When Drejka pulled the gun, everyone ran except McGlokton. The entire duration from push-to-shooting was less than 5 seconds. From the point where Drejka sat up in a position where he could defend himself and pulled the gun, it was about 1.5 seconds. Think about that. Think about what you would do with someone walking toward you, still posturing as if they wanted to attack you (after already pushing you), and then realize 1.5 seconds has already passed.

You're telling me if you're sitting in a car with 2 young children and a man approaches you, walks from front to back inspecting your car, begins talking to and pointing at you, there is no justifiable reason to get out of your car to confront him? Drejka escalated the situation, not her. And it appears he may have done it before. 

Everyone ran? We see 4 people, one of them the shooter. The man following McGlokton out of the store moved quickly out of the way, McGlokton's girlfriend backed away, just like McGlokton. Nobody ran. They saw a man pull a gun and got out of the way as best they could given the few seconds before Drejka pulled the trigger. 

You are correct, we don't know what anyone said. That's why it should be brought before a jury.

Who said that? I said that if you get out of the car then you should expect conflict. That can be verbal or physical. In this case, there has been no indication that Drejka was threatening in anyway--even from the girlfriend's testimony. I didn't say she escalated it. I said McGlokton escalated it. It was ONLY verbal until he came in and pushed him to the ground. McGlokton, by all accounts, overreacted to the situation. 

OK, I'll use better terminology. Out of the 3 people on video not including Drejka, 2 fled from Drejka. You can downplay how the girlfriend got away, but she left quickly. McGlokton, like you said, took two steps and stood there. This idea that McGlokton had a right to defend himself after pushing Drejka to the ground is incorrect. He's the instigator.

You don't bring things in front of juries to prove innocence. You bring them there to prove guilt. That's a gross misuse of the court system. It isn't a person's job to prove they didn't act maliciously. This is all very simple based on what is known. McGlokton pushed Drejka because of verbal dispute wherein there are no allegations of threatening language. McGlokton continues to advance on Drejka until Drejka pulls his gun. McGlokton takes a couple steps back and stands there. Approximately 1.5 seconds pass from removing the gun and shooting who Drejka saw as a threat. 

What would you have Drejka do after McGlokton pushed him?

(07-29-2018, 01:01 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: I'm sorry, but the officer in this thread is actually expecting the man to flee the scene while a hostile man with a gun is right there next to his girlfriend and children?  Who would do that?  And in my opinion, you have a lot more control if you're facing the guy.  You turn your back and he might just shoot you dead right there, based on reports about this guy.  What a mess.

That isn't at all what I said. What I'm saying is that Drejka was pushed to the ground for arguing, and the general consensus here is that he deserved it or was at-fault because he argued over something petty. That's absurd. Arguing isn't illegal, and it certainly doesn't justify getting pushed to the ground. My point is that Drejka is expected to retreat when being attacked, but when McGlokton was face-to-face with a gun, no one expects him to do the same. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy.

Not sure how the 3rd person in can be the instigator although possibly overreacting.

Someone is dead because they parked in a disabled spot in an empty car park. This is not normal.

(07-29-2018, 05:26 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not sure how the 3rd person in can be the instigator although possibly overreacting.

Someone is dead because they parked in a disabled spot in an empty car park. This is not normal.

I can see it as he was the one who got physical, but the action should be investigated and presented to a jury to decide the shooter's culpability.

(07-29-2018, 06:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 05:26 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not sure how the 3rd person in can be the instigator although possibly overreacting.

I can see it as he was the one who got physical, but the action should be investigated and presented to a jury to decide the shooter's culpability.

The other guy was being aggressive to his wife. I've never seen someone pointing in someone's face calmly. Who carries a gun around and then starts petty arguments? Probably someone who is hoping for a reaction so he can use it. There was definitely no need to actually shoot.

Should be locked up for murder.

(07-29-2018, 06:44 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 06:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I can see it as he was the one who got physical, but the action should be investigated and presented to a jury to decide the shooter's culpability.

The other guy was being aggressive to his wife. I've never seen someone pointing in someone's face calmly. Who carries a gun around and then starts petty arguments? Probably someone who is hoping for a reaction so he can use it. There was definitely no need to actually shoot.

Should be locked up for murder.

Getting pushed down is sufficient for a response, it's manslaughter at worst.

So if the guy who got shot had shot the guy for threatening his wife/kids would that also have been justified? Interesting

No, I dont believe words are ever enough to shoot, but I am not a lawyer.

(07-29-2018, 11:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, I dont believe words are ever enough to shoot, but I am not a lawyer.

Doesn't the fact he's carrying a weapon make it a larger threat though?

(07-30-2018, 12:30 AM)lastonealive Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 11:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, I dont believe words are ever enough to shoot, but I am not a lawyer.

Doesn't the fact he's carrying a weapon make it a larger threat though?

The weapon doesn’t play into threat factor at the point they are only exchanging words. Nobody but him was aware the concealed weapon existed until final bit of escalation.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

If you are healthy, please respect people with disabilities and do not park in handicapped spaces.

That's really all I have to say on the subject matter.

(07-29-2018, 09:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: When the "older and weaker" starts it with threats and has a history of saying he's going to kill someone? Absolutely. Threatening a woman with her babies in the car over a parking space? You're defending a piece of trash who abused his rights to kill someone. The more I read the more this guy needs to be put in front of a judge and jury, and maybe sit in a jail cell for the rest of his miserable life.

I'm not defending his actions even though they may have been legal. I personally think he's a murderer, not because of this incident, which is likely manslaughter in most jurisdictions. I call him a murderer because this is exactly what he wanted to happen, so it's premeditated. He's a hothead who was emboldened by carrying a firearm, a self-appointed parking lot cop with a history of starting these incidents. The only conclusion I can make is he dearly wanted one of these to escalate so he could pull the trigger.

Still, I would not change the law. It's a loophole for murder but certainly not the only one, and it helps protect the non-psycopaths among us who are forced to defend themselves.

Myself, I'm running away even if armed. I'm the biggest coward in the world when I'm carrying. You can insult my wife and I'll keep walking. So will my wife and she is also packing.

(07-30-2018, 12:45 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 09:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: When the "older and weaker" starts it with threats and has a history of saying he's going to kill someone? Absolutely. Threatening a woman with her babies in the car over a parking space? You're defending a piece of trash who abused his rights to kill someone. The more I read the more this guy needs to be put in front of a judge and jury, and maybe sit in a jail cell for the rest of his miserable life.

I'm not defending his actions even though they may have been legal.  I personally think he's a murderer, not because of this incident, which is likely manslaughter in most jurisdictions.  I call him a murderer because this is exactly what he wanted to happen, so it's premeditated.  He's a hothead who was emboldened by carrying a firearm, a self-appointed parking lot cop with a history of starting these incidents.  The only conclusion I can make is he dearly wanted one of these to escalate so he could pull the trigger.  

Still, I would not change the law.  It's a loophole for murder but certainly not the only one, and it helps protect the non-psycopaths among us who are forced to defend themselves.

Myself, I'm running away even if armed.  I'm the biggest coward in the world when I'm carrying.  You can insult my wife and I'll keep walking.  So will my wife and she is also packing.

Ok, I agree with this. I just have an issue with it not being investigated since the tape is available and makes a pretty good case for judicial review.