Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Roster Prediction Time

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2018, 10:57 AM by brianmsbc.)

(08-11-2018, 03:59 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(08-10-2018, 05:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Wait a minute...
Did someone actually suggest cutting Moncrief?
LOL

Yup. He's nothing special. We've got young WRs itching to showcase their talent. Too much mark up on the going sticker rate of WRs. (a dime a dozen)

Hate to break the bad news to ya, but it's 1999 all over again. It's now or never. After this season, the Jaguars are scheduled to be dismantled.

I never insisted the team spend to the cap cuz I'm old enough to have learned the lesson you don't splurge. You draft the best talent possible and keep drafting the best talent possible.

No way I let Moncrief come in here and underachieve to the level of third WR. That's an insult to the BETTER players making about HALF of what David Caldwell agreed to pay for a third WR.

Disagree on the going market rate of WR's. In fact I would say the story of the offseason was the markup at WR. In every podcast I listened to, they commented that WR's around the league were getting way more than they expected. We targeted Moncrief bc he was willing to sign a one year deal. The FO knows what its doing bro, relax.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-13-2018, 10:56 AM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 03:59 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Yup. He's nothing special. We've got young WRs itching to showcase their talent. Too much mark up on the going sticker rate of WRs. (a dime a dozen)

Hate to break the bad news to ya, but it's 1999 all over again. It's now or never. After this season, the Jaguars are scheduled to be dismantled.

I never insisted the team spend to the cap cuz I'm old enough to have learned the lesson you don't splurge. You draft the best talent possible and keep drafting the best talent possible.

No way I let Moncrief come in here and underachieve to the level of third WR. That's an insult to the BETTER players making about HALF of what David Caldwell agreed to pay for a third WR.

Disagree on the going market rate of WR's. In fact I would say the story of the offseason was the markup at WR. In every podcast I listened to, they commented that WR's around the league were getting way more than they expected. We targeted Moncrief bc he was willing to sign a one year deal. The FO knows what its doing bro, relax.
You have to respect the positional budget. You can't have a third WR making more than the first two. Moncrief must step up and earn the starting job, or.....

(08-13-2018, 06:39 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 10:56 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: Disagree on the going market rate of WR's. In fact I would say the story of the offseason was the markup at WR. In every podcast I listened to, they commented that WR's around the league were getting way more than they expected. We targeted Moncrief bc he was willing to sign a one year deal. The FO knows what its doing bro, relax.
You have to respect the positional budget. You can't have a third WR making more than the first two. Moncrief must step up and earn the starting job, or.....

Nah. 

The positional budget is healthy. 

What a dude on a one year deal is making is practically a non-factor. It just doesn’t matter.

(08-13-2018, 06:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 06:39 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: You have to respect the positional budget. You can't have a third WR making more than the first two. Moncrief must step up and earn the starting job, or.....

Nah. 

What a dude on a one year deal is making is practically a non-factor. It just doesn’t matter.

It does matter. Use common sense to understand a guy on a one year deal making more than triple of what the starters are making doesn't sit well with anybody. Step up or be cut. Save the money for later.

(08-14-2018, 01:31 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 06:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Nah. 

It does matter. Use common sense to understand a guy on a one year deal making more than triple of what the starters are making doesn't sit well with anybody. Step up or be cut. Save the money for later.

Brilliant move.  Cut him and pay him anyway.  Makes perfect sense.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-14-2018, 07:34 AM)Rico Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 01:31 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: It does matter. Use common sense to understand a guy on a one year deal making more than triple of what the starters are making doesn't sit well with anybody. Step up or be cut. Save the money for later.

Brilliant move.  Cut him and pay him anyway.  Makes perfect sense.

To me, that makes more sense than keeping him and cutting a guy who would have been better/more productive with a potential long term future ahead of him.

(08-14-2018, 08:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 07:34 AM)Rico Wrote: Brilliant move.  Cut him and pay him anyway.  Makes perfect sense.

To me, that makes more sense than keeping him and cutting a guy who would have been better/more productive with a potential long term future ahead of him.

So pissing away 12 mil is a good idea?  And, who, prey tell would be this receiver that's going to get cut that has a long term future ahead of him?

My roster prediction is for the Jags to have 53 players just before September 2nd.

I also expect several players on IR, possibly for injuries as serious as a hangnail.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-14-2018, 09:11 AM)Rico Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 08:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: To me, that makes more sense than keeping him and cutting a guy who would have been better/more productive with a potential long term future ahead of him.

So pissing away 12 mil is a good idea?  And, who, prey tell would be this receiver that's going to get cut that has a long term future ahead of him?
Duh dude. Mickens and Wynn. They’re absolute studs!

(08-14-2018, 08:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: To me, that makes more sense than keeping him and cutting a guy who would have been better/more productive with a potential long term future ahead of him.

Pissing away $12 mil? What are you talking about?

Surely you're not talking about Moncrief? $4 mil of Moncrief's contract is guaranteed and would remain in the books as dead money if he's cut. The rest of his $9.6 mil contract, as in his base salary, would be off the books making for a $5.6 mil savings. That said, keep in mind that as a veteran, if he's on the active roster week one, his base salary is automatically guaranteed as well.

So, what does this $12 mil refer to?
'02

I'm starting to think Brooks Ellis makes the roster over Andrew Matuapuaka. In my original prediction to start this thread, I had Andrew as their backup MLB, but Ellis appears to have solidified a spot as their backup SLB. Now, Matuapuaka was a stand out in the first game, but he's young and we see it all the time when guys like him are cut and end up on the Practice Squad. The reality is, Blair Brown is both their backup Will and their backup Mike, so Ellis is needed more as their backup SAM.

Watch these two as I suspect only five LBs make the roster, and that after Telvin, Myles, Leon and Blair, it's largely a battle between Brooks and Andrew. Keep in mind that I'm jumping the gun a little by already edging out Donald Payne from the mix, but I only see him having a shot if they keep six LBs. 
'02

Why are we in a hurry to save 5 million by cutting a 6’2”, 220pound receiver that’s shown great chemistry with an ascending QB that likes big targets??

Makes.

Zero.

Sense.

(08-14-2018, 11:53 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm starting to think Brooks Ellis makes the roster over Andrew Matuapuaka. In my original prediction to start this thread, I had Andrew as their backup MLB, but Ellis appears to have solidified a spot as their backup SLB. Now, Matuapuaka was a stand out in the first game, but he's young and we see it all the time when guys like him are cut and end up on the Practice Squad. The reality is, Blair Brown is both their backup Will and their backup Mike, so Ellis is needed more as their backup SAM.

Watch these two as I suspect only five LBs make the roster, and that after Telvin, Myles, Leon and Blair, it's largely a battle between Brooks and Andrew. Keep in mind that I'm jumping the gun a little by already edging out Donald Payne from the mix, but I only see him having a shot if they keep six LBs. 

Have you seen anything you like from Blair Brown? Or is he just pretty-much guaranteed a roster spot because he was a draft pick?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We pissed away $12 million when we signed Moncrief. One year or not, it was too much money for a guy with a history of injuries and drops. Kendall Wright signed a 1 yr. $1 million deal with Minnesota and I see him and Moncrief finishing the year with similar production. There were cheaper options. 

I don't know. Well have to see who gets cut.

(08-14-2018, 08:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 09:11 AM)Rico Wrote: So pissing away 12 mil is a good idea?  And, who, prey tell would be this receiver that's going to get cut that has a long term future ahead of him?

We pissed away $12 million when we signed Moncrief. One year or not, it was too much money for a guy with a history of injuries and drops. Kendall Wright signed a 1 yr. $1 million deal with Minnesota and I see him and Moncrief finishing the year with similar production. There were cheaper options. 

I am seeing 9.6 mill. Where is everyone seeing 12 mill?

(08-14-2018, 09:28 PM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 08:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We pissed away $12 million when we signed Moncrief. One year or not, it was too much money for a guy with a history of injuries and drops. Kendall Wright signed a 1 yr. $1 million deal with Minnesota and I see him and Moncrief finishing the year with similar production. There were cheaper options. 

I am seeing 9.6 mill. Where is everyone seeing 12 mill?

It's not everyone... just Rico and O-Line.
'02

(08-14-2018, 06:16 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 11:53 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm starting to think Brooks Ellis makes the roster over Andrew Matuapuaka. In my original prediction to start this thread, I had Andrew as their backup MLB, but Ellis appears to have solidified a spot as their backup SLB. Now, Matuapuaka was a stand out in the first game, but he's young and we see it all the time when guys like him are cut and end up on the Practice Squad. The reality is, Blair Brown is both their backup Will and their backup Mike, so Ellis is needed more as their backup SAM.

Have you seen anything you like from Blair Brown? Or is he just pretty-much guaranteed a roster spot because he was a draft pick?

It's more about what the coaches say about him than him being a draft pick. He's consistently been that fourth LB or top backup for the team, and they trust him in the more traditional stack LB role the scheme uses at the WILL and MIKE where the Jaguars SAM position is a more evolved role. I can't say that I've really had a chance to watch Blair, but it's my impression that he's a virtual lock for the roster. The fact that Marrone was considering for the start at SAM before opting to keep him at WILL and MIKE is telling about how much he's trusted. It's possible that a guy like Donald Payne beats him out, but we're going to need to see some huge plays and no more 15-yard penalties. It's also possible that Andrew Matuapuaka beats out Blair, but that's a tall order for a rookie and we'd have to see him excel at WILL as well as he excelled at MIKE last week.
'02

(08-14-2018, 10:04 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 09:28 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: I am seeing 9.6 mill. Where is everyone seeing 12 mill?

Fine, $9.6 million. I'm not good at math. Whatever it was, it was too much.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM by RicoTx.)

(08-14-2018, 10:04 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 09:28 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: I am seeing 9.6 mill. Where is everyone seeing 12 mill?

Sorry, I don't have the time to bury my nose in salary cap figures.  The point stands.  You don't pay somebody a guaranteed large sum of money and then cut them.

(08-14-2018, 08:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 09:11 AM)Rico Wrote: So pissing away 12 mil is a good idea?  And, who, prey tell would be this receiver that's going to get cut that has a long term future ahead of him?

That's besides the point.  They have already spent the money and they aren't going to cut the guy, especially since I've heard nothing negative about him whatsoever...except for on this board.  And I still want to know these 'young guys' (and Moncrief is an ancient 25) that the Jaguars aren't going to be able to keep that are going to have some kind of impact in the future.

Moncrief has been in the league long enough that whatever opinion the FO had on him likely hasn't been changed much by 2 weeks of training camp.