Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Police unions urge members to boycott Dolphins tickets

https://footballmaven.io/nfldraftscout/d...ljYqHUzwA/

“The Broward County PBA recently offered our members discounts to a Miami Dolphins game because that franchise said they were going to honor all First Responders,” the Broward County Police Benevolent Association said on Facebook on Friday. “We entered into this partnership with the understanding that the Dolphins organization would require their players to stand for the National Anthem. This did not happen at last night’s preseason game against Tampa Bay.

“As a result, the BCPBA will no longer participate in this ticket program, and we are asking all of our members, as well as members of the Dade County PBA and Palm Beach County PBA, not to participate either. If you have already purchased tickets to this game, we encourage you to call the Dolphins ticket office to request a refund because this organization obviously DOES NOT honor First Responders and the dangers they put themselves in every day.”

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is awesome and I’m glad to see them taking a stand against players that won’t stand for our flag and our beautiful nation.

USA

And thank you to all the brave first responders for everything you do. It takes a special person to put their life on the line for complete strangers everyday.

This is so silly. Standing for the flag is not an act of honoring first responders, nor should it ever be.

People should be allowed to protest if that's what they want to do.

(08-12-2018, 05:17 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: This is so silly.  Standing for the flag is not an act of honoring first responders, nor should it ever be.

[Image: tenor.gif]

FYI...Players had over 4-months of off time to protest...not a peep!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-12-2018, 05:30 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 05:17 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: This is so silly.  Standing for the flag is not an act of honoring first responders, nor should it ever be.

[Image: tenor.gif]

FYI...Players had over 4-months of off time to protest...not a peep!

So, I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say the anthem is the point of the protest...but you know that.

But the anthem is more than just what they are protesting.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2018, 11:26 AM by brianmsbc.)

Totally agree.

I also agree that fans can protest the NFL by not buying tickets if they want to.

I also agree that owners can avoid players that cause fans to not buy tickets... if they want to.

In summary: I think everyone should do what they want to do, and live with the consequences.

I also think that the owners, players, and the community would all be better off if they would be willing to compromise... but lets be honest, the players just want attention and to feel rebellious.

Re-read the announcement. The Dolphins stipulated to the union partners that they would require all players to participate in the national anthem. The union is effectively PROTESTING the Miami Dolphins. 

If first responders feel standing for our flag is an act that honors them who is to judge their worthiness to be honored?

Standing for the flag is a act of honoring first responders. Keep in mind that typically first responders are devoted, civic-minded servants of We, the people, and their bravery day in and day out is a source of patriotic pride for all of us. Many are actually former U.S. armed forces personnel. Many maintain their military training as national guard reserves.

Over the years I can recall UNARMED first responding fire and rescue personnel brave live rounds being fired at them as they attempt to save lives. 

Maybe you don't share the sense of appreciation like me. Perhaps you've never appreciably needed the professional first responders like me. They come when you need them.

If first responders care to express standing for the national anthem brings them honor as it does for our uniformed armed service personnel, the vast majority of American don't have a bunch of hang-ups which might prevent them from participating in the national anthem devotional.

(08-17-2018, 05:00 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:

Re-read the announcement. The Dolphins stipulated to the union partners that they would require all players to participate in the national anthem. The union is effectively PROTESTING the Miami Dolphins. 

If first responders feel standing for our flag is an act that honors them who is to judge their worthiness to be honored?

Standing for the flag is a act of honoring first responders. Keep in mind that typically first responders are devoted, civic-minded servants of We, the people, and their bravery day in and day out is a source of patriotic pride for all of us. Many are actually former U.S. armed forces personnel. Many maintain their military training as national guard reserves.

Over the years I can recall UNARMED first responding fire and rescue personnel brave live rounds being fired at them as they attempt to save lives. 

Maybe you don't share the sense of appreciation like me. Perhaps you've never appreciably needed the professional first responders like me. They come when you need them.

If first responders care to express standing for the national anthem brings them honor as it does for our uniformed armed service personnel, the vast majority of American don't have a bunch of hang-ups which might prevent them from participating in the national anthem devotional.

If certain groups think the national anthem is in honor of them then they are suffering from a case of narcissism.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Massive distraction by both sides. The player protests have been completely twisted to the point people believe they are protesting the anthem itself.

They most certainly are protesting disproportionate police response/ use of force, so I understand the police department’s stance. Seems like it makes more sense for the police to take the chance to communicate, rather than just shut it down.

Ultimately both sides of this “debate” look like complete imbeciles at this point.

(08-17-2018, 05:00 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:

I don't know that it was stipulated to the PBA, but ownership triggered a bunch of hullaballoo before the owner meetings in making a public statement that they would require players to stand, in support of the league mandate that those on the sideline must stand, and any sitters, kneelers, nosepickers and daydreamers would have to stay in the locker room.

The league stepped back on the mandate at the conclusion of the owner meetings.

I have a feeling the PBA read into the statements more than anyone had a direct conversation with the owner or GM regarding how players would conduct themselves before purchasing a block of tickets for their association.

Isn't this already being discussed in the political forum?
I mean... if not, shouldn't it be moved? Unions... kneeling... protesting...

Just sayin

(08-17-2018, 06:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 05:00 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Re-read the announcement. The Dolphins stipulated to the union partners that they would require all players to participate in the national anthem. The union is effectively PROTESTING the Miami Dolphins. 

If certain groups think the national anthem is in honor of them then they are suffering from a case of narcissism.

Not necessarily...  Prior to 9/11, our sporting events almost always went to commercial break during the anthem.  After 9/11, sporting events all started televising the anthem.  
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we didn't lose any military service members that day.

(08-17-2018, 03:30 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 06:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: If certain groups think the national anthem is in honor of them then they are suffering from a case of narcissism.

Not necessarily...  Prior to 9/11, our sporting events almost always went to commercial break during the anthem.  After 9/11, sporting events all started televising the anthem.  
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we didn't lose any military service members that day.

The anthem isn't to honor any citizens,  it's to honor the country.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-19-2018, 02:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 03:30 PM)scottyg Wrote: Not necessarily...  Prior to 9/11, our sporting events almost always went to commercial break during the anthem.  After 9/11, sporting events all started televising the anthem.  

The anthem isn't to honor any citizens,  it's to honor the country.

'We, the people' are this country.

(08-17-2018, 10:03 AM)Kane Wrote: Isn't this already being discussed in the political forum?
I mean... if not, shouldn't it be moved? Unions... kneeling... protesting...

Just sayin

I've been waiting to see how it plays out.  It's time for it to move.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-19-2018, 03:13 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 02:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The anthem isn't to honor any citizens,  it's to honor the country.

'We, the people' are this country.

No, thats not right. America is not "the military", or "First Responders", or "the President" or any other group or individual. Playing the anthem does not honor any of them any more than any other group or individual; it's for the country and bigger than any of us.

(08-17-2018, 08:03 AM)rufftime Wrote: Massive distraction by both sides.  The player protests have been completely twisted to the point people believe they are protesting the anthem itself.

They most certainly are protesting disproportionate police response/ use of force, so I understand the police department’s stance.  Seems like it makes more sense for the police to take the chance to communicate, rather than just shut it down.

Ultimately both sides of this “debate” look like complete imbeciles at this point.

They are protesting the anthem itself, or more generally showing disrespect for the United States.

Claiming it's about something else is bizarre. That's like protesting Walmart because the post office lost your mail. And the stupidest part of it was that the protest was originally just a player who was sulking after losing his starting job, and then only made up some other reason to cover up his lack of sportsmanship.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-19-2018, 05:36 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 08:03 AM)rufftime Wrote: Massive distraction by both sides.  The player protests have been completely twisted to the point people believe they are protesting the anthem itself.

They most certainly are protesting disproportionate police response/ use of force, so I understand the police department’s stance.  Seems like it makes more sense for the police to take the chance to communicate, rather than just shut it down.

They are protesting the anthem itself, or more generally showing disrespect for the United States.

Claiming it's about something else is bizarre. That's like protesting Walmart because the post office lost your mail. And the stupidest part of it was that the protest was originally just a player who was sulking after losing his starting job, and then only made up some other reason to cover up his lack of sportsmanship.

They aren't protesting the anthem, the playing of the anthem just provides them an opportunity to make their point. 

The bolded text is petty [BLEEP]. He wasn't noticed sitting on the bench the first two preseason games of 2016 because he was inactive with a sore shoulder and in street clothes. Agree or disagree with Kapernick, he put his career on the line. To say he did this out of petulance is nonsense.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2018, 06:40 PM by mikesez.)

The anthem itself honors the Americans who fought the British at Fort McHenry.
It was adopted as the national anthem so now it honors the whole nation.
The police are generally selfless and their service and diligence is part of what makes American great. Safety and sacrifice are a big part of greatness.
But a tiny minority of cops have needlessly harassed black people, up to and including shooting them when they weren't doing anything wrong, and, rather than being selfless and putting the public first, the benevolent unions and other police orgs have closed ranks and adopted a "with us or against us" attitude.
It's right to protest against that. In my job and daily life, I don't have a way to protest that. Some players feel the national anthem is a time to protest. I don't know if it is or isn't. If it isn't, where's a better time and place to send the message to a lot of peoplethat you appreciate cops, but want the cops to start discarding the bad apples more rapidly and openly? I genuinely don't know.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.