Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2015 NFL MVP Cam Newton vs. Blake Bortles

Quote:Nothing happened to him, he is who he is (and always was).  Last year was fluky and lots of garbage time, and I said it when I saw it then, though REALLY wanted to be wrong.  He was not a good thrower of the football to start with, and still isn't, and his football IQ is questionable at best (arguably horrible).  The below is 100% accurate and courtesy of ESPN this morning (mid-season grading of their preseason predictions).

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16724/blake-bortles' title="External link">Blake Bortles</a> will not live up to the hype

Piling up touchdowns and yardage in less-meaningful situations allowed Bortles to produce inflated conventional stats last season. His 4,428 yards and 35 touchdowns supported a feel-good storyline: rising young QB lifts long-suffering franchise over the hump.  Bortles has piled up a league-high 40 percent of his career passing yards while trailing by at least 10 points. Those are tough situations for any quarterback, and some were of his own making. Bortles' 3.3 percent interception rate since entering the league ranks 32nd out of 33 quarterbacks with at least 500 pass attempts since then. The rate is 2.3 percent (25th) when his team is tied or leading.  The 42 coaches and evaluators polled for my <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/17235940/2016-nfl-qb-tier-rankings-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger' title="External link">annual QB Tiers project</a> weren't entirely sold. Some questioned Bortles' mechanics. Several simply thought the Jaguars already would have enjoyed more team success if Bortles were playing as well as the stats suggested.  "Everybody wants to anoint him," one general manager said before the season. "I don't see it. He is 1-13 on the road. How's that for a stat?"  A closer look at advanced stats showed Bortles ranking 29th out of 29 qualifying quarterbacks in Total QBR over the second half of last season. He ranks 27th this season, ahead of only <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/14879/brock-osweiler' title="External link">Brock Osweiler</a>, <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/14876/ryan-tannehill' title="External link">Ryan Tannehill</a>, <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick' title="External link">Ryan Fitzpatrick</a> and <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15168/case-keenum' title="External link">Case Keenum</a>.
He looked worlds better than he has this season, without a doubt. He wasn't perfect, but his mechanics were better, his decisions were eh, but he was at least accurate for the most part. No matter when it happens, weather trailing by 10 or 100, you don't just luck into 35 touchdowns and many multi touchdown games. He's bad this year and there's got to be a reason. If he's just bad and that's that, well then we're on a quest again for another QB, but it's hard to swallow this time around. He's shown major flashes of greatness. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:"Yesterday was maybe Blake's worst performance."

Yup.

The sad thing is, that's what we all were saying about the San Diego game.

"The San Diego game was Blake's worst performance."

Actually, he looked dreadful last week vs Chicago also. The defense played terrific. The offense got REALLY lucky with that play to Benn, with both players falling to the ground and Benn getting up to run a TD.

Blake does not look good this year, at all.
Yes and the Baltimore Ravens game was even worse: missed open receivers even with lots of time in the pocket (first half to Lee wide open, overthrew him badly), threw 3 interceptions and took a sack when we were in good FG range and pushed us back almost 10 yards and then the final sack of the game when he scrambled all around the backfield for like 6-7 seconds and not throwing away or running out with the clock that kept running until he was brought down... 

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 11:50 AM by jagherd.)

Quote:Yes and the Baltimore Ravens game was even worse: missed open receivers even with lots of time in the pocket (first half to Lee wide open, overthrew him badly), threw 3 interceptions and took a sack when we were in good FG range and pushed us back almost 10 yards and then the final sack of the game when he scrambled all around the backfield for like 6-7 seconds and not throwing away or running out with the clock that kept running until he was brought down...
Exactly.

He's been so bad in most games this season, I almost forgot about that game.

That INT that Moseley made:

Yes, Moseley made an incredible athletic play to get the ball.

However, the pass itself was SEVERELY underthrown, and the ball was wobbling sideways on its way down towards Moseley.

That might have been the worst pass I've ever seen.

Quote:Exactly.

He's been so bad in most games this season, I almost forgot about that game.

That INT that Moseley made:

Yes, Moseley made an incredible athletic play to get the ball.

However, the pass itself was SEVERELY underthrown, and the ball was wobbling sideways on its way down towards Moseley.

That might have been the worst pass I've ever seen.
Sad but true...

Quote:Sad but true...
2016 Jaguars as performed by Metallica

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He looked worlds better than he has this season, without a doubt. He wasn't perfect, but his mechanics were better, his decisions were eh, but he was at least accurate for the most part. No matter when it happens, weather trailing by 10 or 100, you don't just luck into 35 touchdowns and many multi touchdown games. He's bad this year and there's got to be a reason. If he's just bad and that's that, well then we're on a quest again for another QB, but it's hard to swallow this time around. He's shown major flashes of greatness. 
Believe me I know it's hard to swallow, after we've sucked this long. We're still years away because of it, damned right it's hard to swallow.  But the longer we wait to admit it, the longer it's going to be before we fix it.  Sorry, I've seen no greatness from Bortles, I see a QB who produced fluky inflated stats against a historically bad and soft schedule last year.  He was bailed out MANY times by horrible jump ball throws ad nauseum... He simply cannot throw the ball well enough for the NFL, and that was the worry when he was drafted.  Add in a mix of bad decision making, and yes bad coaching, and it's full on toxic. 

You can NOT and will not be a good quarterback when you struggle to ..  THROW THE BALL.

I've seen prettier punts for gods' sake.

he is wildly inaccurate.. and even when the ball is roughly where it needs to be - it's spinning sideways or taking a nose dive before getting to the receiver.

Is his thumb hurt?  I know his thumb was broken at the end of last year after Joeckel allowed 5 sacks

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:You can NOT and will not be a good quarterback when you struggle to ..  THROW THE BALL.

I've seen prettier punts for gods' sake.

he is wildly inaccurate.. and even when the ball is roughly where it needs to be - it's spinning sideways or taking a nose dive before getting to the receiver.

Is his thumb hurt?  I know his thumb was broken at the end of last year after Joeckel allowed 5 sacks
I don't know if he has any injury problems now but the broken thumb last year wasn't on his throwing hand. 

And I wish his accuracy and mechanics were the only problems he has...sigh...