Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags get a call from the Jets

Nope,nope,nope
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018, 11:46 AM by Bullseye.)

I think this is more throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

I don't think Fowler is traded anywhere.

There would have to be some conditions that would have to be met for that to happen.

1.  Fowler off the field would be too much of a distraction/nuisance for the team to stomach him any longer.  Has he gotten to that point?  I don't think so, but I am not privy to DMs, TC, and DCs thoughts.

2.  They would have to get either an immediate contributor in return, or be blown away with a trade offer involving a pick or picks.  This team is a serious contender for a Super Bowl.  getting rid of a young pass rusher who can help them get there would undermine their efforts.  His production would have to be replaced elsewhere on the roster.  At most, Bridgewater upgrades backup QB for half the season because he'd have to learn the offense(-assuming a mid season deal), unless Bortles gets hurt.  But fortunately, Bortles has been durable for us.  Besdies, if they were truly interested in bridgewater, they could have signed him as a FA this off season without trading anyone.  I am also not an expert on the Jets roster, but I don't see where they have too many immediate starter types on their roster they would give to us.  Aside from Adams, I see nobody on their roster I would be overwhelmed with.  I like Leonard Williams, but where does he fit on our DL?  We'd have an insane DT rotation, that's for sure, but that just doesn't make sense.  The floor for any draft choice compensation would be a 3rd round pick.  That's the most we could get in a compensatory draft pick.

I think Fowler's skill can give this team a good pass rushing threat this year.  I don't think any deal happens.  But I think the above are considerations the team would weigh.

(08-21-2018, 10:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 10:12 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: people mention taven bryan but again, he is not a pure outside 4-3 pass rushing DE... we really only have 2 of those in fowler and yannick, keep both, I still hold out hope we can resign fowler next year for a good team deal that makes both sides happy

I don't disagree with this except to point out a few edge guys in development. Lerentee McCray has actually looked pretty good in limited snaps at the edge spot.  The team also has Smoot and Philips there for rotational purposes if they need them. (though Smoot may be more suited to the strong side) 

Still -  I think the production they'd get from Fowler off the bench this year may outweigh the value of what's being offered in trade.

I too think Smoot is more of a strong end, and I think if you put him in Fowler's role in terms of number of snaps, I don't believe he comes close to matching Fowler's production in terms of pass rush.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-21-2018, 11:42 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I think this is more throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

There would have to be some conditions that would have to be met for that to happen.

1.  Fowler off the field would be too much of a distraction/nuisance for the team to stomach him any longer.  Has he gotten to that point?  I don't think so, but I am not privy to DMs, TC, and DCs thoughts.

2.  They would have to get either an immediate contributor in return, or be blown away with a trade offer involving a pick or picks.  This team is a serious contender for a Super Bowl.  getting rid of a young pass rusher who can help them get there would undermine their efforts.  His production would have to be replaced elsewhere on the roster.  At most, Bridgewater upgrades backup QB for half the season because he'd have to learn the offense(-assuming a mid season deal), unless Bortles gets hurt.  But fortunately, Bortles has been durable for us.  Besdies, if they were truly interested in bridgewater, they could have signed him as a FA this off season without trading anyone.  I am also not an expert on the Jets roster, but I don't see where they have too many immediate starter types on their roster they would give to us.  Aside from Adams, I see nobody on their roster I would be overwhelmed with.  I like Leonard Williams, but where does he fit on our DL?  We'd have an insane DT rotation, that's for sure, but that just doesn't make sense.  The floor for any draft choice compensation would be a 3rd round pick.  That's the most we could get in a compensatory draft pick.

I think Fowler's skill can give this team a good pass rushing threat this year.  I don't think any deal happens.  But I think the above are considerations the team would weigh.

As far as I can tell, the Jets don't have a second round pick in 2019. That's about were Fowler, Jr. should be valued.

(08-21-2018, 11:47 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 11:42 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I think this is more throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

As far as I can tell, the Jets don't have a second round pick in 2019. That's about were Fowler, Jr. should be valued.
I was thinking about that.  They still owe the Colts their 2nd in 2019 for that trade up.

I don't think Fowler is traded anywhere...

(08-21-2018, 10:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't disagree with this except to point out a few edge guys in development. Lerentee McCray has actually looked pretty good in limited snaps at the edge spot.  The team also has Smoot and Philips there for rotational purposes if they need them. (though Smoot may be more suited to the strong side) 

Still -  I think the production they'd get from Fowler off the bench this year may outweigh the value of what's being offered in trade.

I too think Smoot is more of a strong end, and I think if you put him in Fowler's role in terms of number of snaps, I don't believe he comes close to matching Fowler's production in terms of pass rush.

I don't think any of those guys would match Fowler's production off the bench. 
This was an intended inference by stating the traded pick or player may not outweigh Fowler's 2018 value to the Jags.

(08-21-2018, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I don't think Fowler is traded anywhere...

I don't think any of those guys would match Fowler's production off the bench. 
This was an intended inference by stating the traded pick or player may not outweigh Fowler's 2018 value to the Jags.

I didn't think otherwise.  Just jumped in on the Smoot analysis.

If the Jets were willing to part with a first and/or a player, okay....but I don't see it happening.

So what happens to Campbell next year? Is a cap casualty? Assuming Fowler plays well this year, could the Jags replace Campbell with Fowler?

(08-21-2018, 11:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't think any of those guys would match Fowler's production off the bench. 

I didn't think otherwise.  Just jumped in on the Smoot analysis.

If the Jets were willing to part with a first and/or a player, okay....but I don't see it happening.

I gothca now  Cool

I doubt the Jets (or anyone) will offer up that much for Fowler also.

(08-21-2018, 11:58 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: So what happens to Campbell next year? Is a cap casualty? Assuming Fowler plays well this year, could the Jags replace Campbell with Fowler?

No.

Different positions, skill-sets, and body types.
Strong-side End vs Weak-Side end.

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018, 12:29 PM by Bullseye. Edit Reason: Proofreading is fundamental..D'oh! )

(08-21-2018, 11:58 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: So what happens to Campbell next year? Is a cap casualty? Assuming Fowler plays well this year, could the Jags replace Campbell with Fowler?

(08-21-2018, 11:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 11:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I didn't think otherwise.  Just jumped in on the Smoot analysis.

I gothca now  Cool

No.

As a general rule, Taven Bryan seems to be penciled in as Campbell's replacement.  They list him as a DE, and they play him in Campbell's positions at strong end and inside in passing situations.

I could envision in some situations, Fowler could play LDE, just like he did last year.  But overall, I think they have groomed Bryan to be his replacement.

(08-21-2018, 12:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

(08-21-2018, 11:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I gothca now  Cool

No.

As a general rul, Taven Bryan seems to be penciled in as Campbell's replacement.  They list him as a DE, and they play him in Campbell's positions at strong end and inside in passing situations.

I could envision in some situations, Fowler could play LDE, just like he did last year.  But overall, I think they have groomed Bryan to be his replacement.

Exactly.  Fowler (or someone of his skillset) typically only lines up there on third down or in obvious passing situations where they are clearly after the QB from that spot. 

Bryan is indeed the clear heir-apparent at this point. Big, big shoes to fill.

a 2nd or better.
Which won't happen.

I'm pretty against getting rid of pass rushers. Especially since Smoot and Taven haven't been able to show much this offseason yet.

Just to piggyback on the Bridgewater suggestions:

Look at the one year deal Bridgewater signed with the Jets. He's got 500K guaranteed. Could make 15 mil with playing incentives.

If the Jags had really wanted him - they could have just signed him in FA when you're only risking 500K by cutting him prior to reg season.

If the Jags let Fowler walk next year...what kind of compensated draft pick would they get when some other team re-signs him?

(08-21-2018, 12:43 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: If the Jags let Fowler walk next year...what kind of compensated draft pick would they get when some other team re-signs him?

Depends on his production this season and the deal he signs elsewhere.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-me...aft-picks/

Ugh. I used to be against a trade. But now I'm on the fence. Trade him for no lower than a third round pick.

Maybe it’s for McCown

Jk

I trust Coughlin.

Wont say its impossible, but I dont see a realistic offer that makes sense right now.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018, 01:23 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

It depends on the offer. No current players. I don't want Bridgewater and the Jets have no offensive linemen I would want, so I'd have to be impressed with the draft pick(s)  I was offered. Otherwise, no deal.

Agree with you, O-Line.

How funny this is compared to last year. At this point last year, if Teddy was playing like he is and how Bortles looked in camp last year, most of us would have begged to make that trade of Fowler for Teddy.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS