Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marqise Lee

Dez wouldn't make this team. If he could, he'd already be signed. That says it all.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-23-2018, 11:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 11:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Hackett has shown some ability to identify and create mismatches. I think he can do it with the guys on this roster.  Would having a Julio or AB help? Of course.  Is that necessary to win a championship with this offense? No.
(Emphasis added)

That remains to be seen.

Hopefully, this statement will prove true, or somebody like Chark develops into that stud #1 WR and we win it all this year.
I could see Chark becoming that type of player in 2019.  Cole is on a good trajectory to be a big time threat too. 
 If Chark puts on a little muscle and takes the X spot next year, Cole shows he can really man the slot, and Westbrook becomes the guy at Z, this could be a really fantastic young group.  

In the meantime - I think they were wise to have the vet presence of Lee and Monciref to bridge the gap.

(08-23-2018, 10:54 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 10:52 AM)Rico Wrote: Good God, Dez Bryant.  No [BLEEP] thanks.

The Jags have no definitive number one receiver. Dez is a proven veteran that wants to work and probably feels he has something to prove.. Thats a guy I want on my team, skill, hunger and anger.
The guy even the Cleveland Browns didn't sign??? Heck no to him. He hasn't worked on his route running skills since..... never. He's slower and had more drops than anyone last year. He's a name now; not a WR. No thanks.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018, 12:13 PM by Bullseye.)

(08-23-2018, 12:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 11:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote: (Emphasis added)

That remains to be seen.

Hopefully, this statement will prove true, or somebody like Chark develops into that stud #1 WR and we win it all this year.
I could see Chark becoming that type of player in 2019.  Cole is on a good trajectory to be a big time threat too. 
 If Chark puts on a little muscle and takes the X spot next year, Cole shows he can really man the slot, and Westbrook becomes the guy at Z, this could be a really fantastic young group.  

In the meantime - I think they were wise to have the vet presence of Lee and Monciref to bridge the gap.
(Emphasis added)

I agree, especially about Lee.

Think about how last year transpired.

We lost AR15 in the first game of the season.  Hurns was in and out of the lineup all year.  The only experienced receiver in our offense not injured on the roster last year was Lee.

Everyone else-Cole, Westbrook, Mickens?  All rookies/first year guys learning our offense and the NFL.

Cole, Westbrook and Mickens-and now Chark-while all showing progress, are all still relatively inexperienced.  We definitely needed Lee for at least another year.

Moncrief, I think, was a contingency in case we couldn't land a guy like Chark.  It remains to be seen how valuable he will be to the offense this year.

Hopefully he stays healthy, knows the offense, connects with Blake, plays to his potential, and has an amazing year.

As to Chark's development, I am hoping he develops similarly to Alvin Harper. Harper was drafted by Dallas in 1991. He did not play much early in his rookie year, but mid season, he was one of four rookies drafted that became starters, and was a key contributor in Dallas' turnaround and ascent to becoming World Champs.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-23-2018, 10:54 AM)Ronster Wrote:

The Jags have no definitive number one receiver. Dez is a proven veteran that wants to work and probably feels he has something to prove.. Thats a guy I want on my team, skill, hunger and anger.
Hahahah you can go back to boycotting now.

Dez is so great that he’s still a FA. Most teams can’t handle that greatness.

(08-23-2018, 12:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 10:54 AM)Ronster Wrote: The Jags have no definitive number one receiver. Dez is a proven veteran that wants to work and probably feels he has something to prove.. Thats a guy I want on my team, skill, hunger and anger.
Hahahah you can go back to boycotting now.

Dez is so great that he’s still a FA. Most teams can’t handle that greatness.

Bryant will more than likely remain unsigned until after the season starts so that his salary isn't guaranteed.  At that point, some team desperate for aging receiver talent will probably snap him up.  It won't be this team...fortunately.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-23-2018, 11:02 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Can we acknowledge the great plays he's made? 

You mean all four of them?
'02

Just say no, to Dez Bryant.

Lee is mediocre. Bryant would probably make more harm than good so...

(08-23-2018, 02:07 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 11:02 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Can we acknowledge the great plays he's made? 

You mean all four of them?

I counted nearly two dozen last season alone there, funny guy.  Tongue

As Matt Harmon just pointed out a day or two ago, Marqise was the only receiver in the NFL last year that had below average expected results in every single route. But as NYC4jags also pointed out, we're stuck with him through at least next year. We'd be a better football team right now had we kept Arob instead of Lee and Moncrief.

(08-23-2018, 02:54 PM)Upper Wrote: As Matt Harmon just pointed out a day or two ago, Marqise was the only receiver in the NFL last year that had below average expected results in every single route. But as NYC4jags also pointed out, we're stuck with him through at least next year. We'd be a better football team right now had we kept Arob instead of Lee and Moncrief.
Harmon is awesome.

He’s also one of the best follows for fantasy football.

Lee is an average dime a dozen WR.

(08-23-2018, 02:54 PM)Upper Wrote: As Matt Harmon just pointed out a day or two ago, Marqise was the only receiver in the NFL last year that had below average expected results in every single route. But as NYC4jags also pointed out, we're stuck with him through at least next year. We'd be a better football team right now had we kept Arob instead of Lee and Moncrief.

Nah.  Thought you were a PFF guy, no?

Quote:According to Pro Football Focus, however, when it comes to at least one of the many routes in the playbook nobody does it better than number eleven.
The analytics website ranked Lee as their number one receiver when it came to efficiency on crossing routes in 2017. According to the site’s analyst, Mark Chichester, Lee was so far ahead of the pack, it wasn’t a very close race.

1. Marqise LeeJacksonville Jaguars – 128.6 WR Rating
The fourth-year wide receiver became Jaguars QB Blake Bortles favorite target last season and saw 91 targets throughout the campaign – 18 more than the next closest receiver. Thirty of those passes came via the crossing route, where he amassed 24 catches for 286 yards and two touchdowns, all good for a league-leading WR Rating of 128.6. Lee also tallied 15 first down conversions from his crossing routes, which is was second to only Julio Jones last year and his 21 positively-graded targets not only paced the league, but were the second-most ever recorded by a player on crossing routes.

In other news:

I fully expect to be run out of town with pitchforks and torches in Marqise Lee has a bad season.
Banana

I have always said that PFF is, along with everything else, are just pieces of the puzzle. And even if PFF is an important piece, like say an edge or maybe even a corner, it's still just one small piece in the grand scheme of the whole puzzle. My second part would be that there isn't such thing as a "crosser" route, so he could have overall racked up a lot of stats while being not great at each one of a drag, dig, in, skinny post etc...which is probably what NGS is saying since they have the chips that read each route and their efficiency as far as the break quality, speed in and out of the break, distance of separation, and more that we're not privy to.

(08-23-2018, 04:18 PM)Upper Wrote: I have always said that PFF is, along with everything else, are just pieces of the puzzle. And even if PFF is an important piece, like say an edge or maybe even a corner, it's still just one small piece in the grand scheme of the whole puzzle. My second part would be that there isn't such thing as a "crosser" route, so he could have overall racked up a lot of stats while being not great at each one of a drag, dig, in, skinny post etc...which is probably what NGS is saying since they have the chips that read each route and their efficiency as far as the break quality, speed in and out of the break, distance of separation, and more that we're not privy to.

He was wide open on nearly every single "in" route of every variety.  He's got a great move to separate to the inside and catches the ball well on the crossing pattern - regardless of which specific route it is or isn't. Watching him actually play football makes this readily apparent. 

Probably why your source Harmon also included him on a list of #2 receivers that get the most separation. (#10 in league)

Knock him for having an ugly rash of the drops early in the year, but let's not pretend the guy doesn't get open.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018, 06:29 PM by Mowerguy.)

Let's just get the season started and we'll all know......I'm ready for some football!  Banana
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We don't even have a number one QB. Why worry about a number one WR?

No kidding. We don't need the distraction.

(08-23-2018, 06:45 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: We don't even have a number one QB. Why worry about a number one WR?

I'm not so sure that Bortles isn't a legitimate #1 QB, however, the lack of a #1 QB would make it all the more imperative to have a #1 WR. Just look at how Hopkins has been able to continually produce despite one horrid QB after another throwing him the ball.
'02