Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars tied for 6th easiest strength of schedule

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM by Brett.)

I'm sure a lot of you guys already knew about this...but it's a nice little reminder and gives me more hope for this season to be another good one.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/nfl-tea...18-ranking

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

But, but it's a first place schedule!
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

SOS is meaningless in the NFL

Ah, you're probably right. Sorry I posted it, just saw it in the news today so thought it might be something fun to look at. My apologies!

(08-23-2018, 12:53 PM)Brett Wrote: Ah, you're probably right. Sorry I posted it, just saw it in the news today so thought it might be something fun to look at. My apologies!

You should know better!
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-23-2018, 12:53 PM)Brett Wrote: Ah, you're probably right. Sorry I posted it, just saw it in the news today so thought it might be something fun to look at. My apologies!

I think this will be a neat thread to revisit after the season. It'll probably point out how much variance is in a given NFL season, but it will be neat to see who we thought would be tough(er) and who we thought would be easy(er).
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Already setting the stage for a basis of criticism.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

It's all good. We tend to have a thread about it every year.  I tend to mostly ignore strength of schedule as there are always teams that under-perform and over-perform their expectations.  It will end up meaning something, we just don't know what just yet. 

For instance, teams that faced GB last year after Rodgers went down had a big shift in that strength of schedule that didn't show up on paper.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018, 02:43 PM by Kane.)

SOS is a better stat when looking at the year prior imo.
How easy was the schedule you just played? Not the one you have yet to play therefore you don't truly know how easy it is considering it is based of outdated information (prior season) taking no account of all the many changes that go into every football team every off season.
Worst to firsts, injuries, healed injuries, rookies, free agents, etc etc etc

With all that being said...
Wasn't last year a 'hard' schedule that ended up being one of the softest?
Nope, I'm wrong... 30th to start, tied for easiest to finish....

But the Bears started with a middle of the road ranking of like 14th and finished the season with 'the hardest schedule'
The Broncos had the hardest going in... after the season, their SOS was actually ranked tied for 18th (and they still lost 11 games)

SoS is screwy man lol

SoS will matter once we get some data behind how teams are performing this year, but yeah as of right now that means very little.

So I guess they assess the SOS based on last year for now. I think something like the SOS is better evaluated mid year or end of year
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Nothing is easy in the NFL
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(08-23-2018, 12:15 PM)Brett Wrote: I'm sure a lot of you guys already knew about this...but it's a nice little reminder and gives me more hope for this season to be another good one.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/nfl-tea...18-ranking

It depends upon who we play.

(08-23-2018, 01:54 PM)Deacon Wrote:

I think this will be a neat thread to revisit after the season. It'll probably point out how much variance is in a given NFL season, but it will be neat to see who we thought would be tough(er) and who we thought would be easy(er).

What throws it off even more is losing to the bad teams and beating good teams. Going into last year, most people would have looked at the 49ers game as probable win and the Steelers game as a probable loss.

SOS is tough gauge from year to year, but with the way this team is loaded, I could see us handling most teams this year. As with any team with an elite QB, those games are toss ups on how much pressure we get on them. Other than those few QBs, we generally give other offenses a hard time.

We objectively should have won 12/13 games last year, we let the Cards and Rams off the hook, and the Jets game(refs) are the big 3 we should've won.

I could see us being in that same realm of win category, 12-13 this year regardless of SOS. I think we kill the Eagles because of the travel to London, we have a big advantage there. My worries are NE, PIT, and our road division games. If we can duplicate the same division record as last year and split the games between NE and PIT, I see us going 13-3 with at least a 1st round bye. It would be cool to have the AFC playoffs go through Jacksonville.

(08-23-2018, 01:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Already setting the stage for a basis of criticism.

After watching the halftime show on the NFL channel last game does anything matter when comes to criticizing  Jaguars and their quarterback? I thought it was just ESPN that hates the Jags but I guess I was wrong.

With player turnover teams are not the same year after year. My philosophy is play the next opponent on the schedule. The hell with last year.

It's not even really who you play most of the time but when you play them in the NFL.
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2018, 06:47 PM by Caldrac.)

We had a soft schedule last year as well. I honestly don't care.

A. It's out of our hands. We don't control the schedule.
B. It's not our fault those other teams aren't up to par.
C. Injuries happen on every team during every season. We certainly were no exception to this fact of life in the NFL last year when basically half our entire WR core was decimated.
D. You could throw this SOS out there about any team's successful seasons.

How many easy roads did New England have in the AFC East during their current reign of dominance? Indianapolis had it made for the most part in our division when Peyton Manning was running things. The hardest QB he ever truly had to square off against was Steve McNair in this division. A win is a win. And how many teams get to play inside a dome at home and not have to contest with the elements like we do?

It's any given Sunday for all I care. People can try to make excuses or piss in our bowls of teal colored cornflakes. Won't bother me at all.

This is the same media that [BLEEP] on Blake Bortles and uses him as a scapegoat as to why they won't rank us up there with the elite teams. Or give us much hope in the long run. I really am pulling for that kid.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."