Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If Blake Bortles manages to win a couple of Super Bowls with this team

And goes on to have an "Eli Manning" like career (average to above average QB play) throughout the duration of his career, then he is a HOF QB? As funny as that sounds, think about this. What would the perception of Eli Manning be if he hadn't of won two championships? He would likely be considered a bust because he's been consistently average throughout his career. Super Bowls rings more than anything change the perception of QB's instantly, especially if that QB plays well in the championship game; even Joe Flacco was considered "elite" for a couple of years after he won a championship. 

As crazy as this would've sounded a few years ago, the Jaguars have a great chance to make it to multiple championship games, not only because of the talent on this team but almost just as importantly it's the state of the AFC. Outside of Pittsburgh (aging QB), NE (aging QB), and San Diego (aging QB) there aren't any teams that scare me, almost ALL of the legitimate "franchise QB's" in football play on NFC teams. One can also easily make the argument that the NFC has the 3 best teams (Phi, Min, LA Rams) in football, I think the Jaguars are right there in terms of talent, but the NFC is just loaded. We're not even talking about teams like GB, Atl, NO etc... who are perennial contenders. The AFC is a joke compared to the NFC so it's not out of the realm that a team as talented as the Jaguars can make it out of this conference multiple times. As much as Blake's name has been trashed by the National media, he has the chance to have the last laugh because of the circumstance that he's in. Again I ask the question, if Blake Bortles goes on to win multiple championships with the Jaguars, plays decently well in those champion games, and goes on to have an "average" career outside of that, is he a HOF QB?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sure. In theory.

I think he'd definitely be in the conversation. Eli I think gets given a leg up in HOF talks not only because of his Superbowl rings but because of his last name. So Blake obviously doesn't have that angle working for him. But any QB who has multiple Superbowl wins is worth mentioning in HOF talks IMO.

I wouldn't consider Eli HOF worthy myself, so no.

Eli is getting in the HOF easily based off statistics. Is the game played differently now, heck yes, but statistically he is HOF worthy as crazy as that sounds.

Yards above average from an AY/A perspective after adjusting for defenses, since 2011:
Brady +6270 yards
Rodgers +5837
Brees +5371
Wilson +3790
Roethlisberger +3702
Ryan +3147
Rivers +2229
Alex Smith +2160
Peyton +2125
Romo +2099
Stafford +1383
Cousins +1191
Kaepernick +1018
Eli Manning -748
The lowest value of a post-merger QB in the HOF is Kelly at +2807 yards above the average QB in his peak (1986-1994). Eli's most valuable stretch (2008-2012) is +1863. That's including the playoffs.

------------------------------------------------

I know Eli probably will get in, but if/when he does he will be among the worst selections of all time.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2018, 03:49 PM by mikesez.)

It's still possible for Blake to have a Terry Bradshaw-like career. That would obviously be HOF worthy.
An Eli-like career would not.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

I think Eli will get in the HOF...maybe not the first year. Yes, his regular career season stats are...meh. But in those Super Bowl wins against the Patriots, he was fire, playing out of his head.

I'd like to see him win ONE first...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-24-2018, 03:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's still possible for Blake to have a Terry Bradshaw-like career.  That would obviously be HOF worthy.

Bradshaw is the exact comparison I had in mind.  Bradshaw was an average Qb with a career 50/50 split on TD to int ratio.  He had a steel curtain defense that helped get him some rings.  Anyone with 4 Supberbowl rings has to be in the HOF.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(08-24-2018, 06:21 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 03:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's still possible for Blake to have a Terry Bradshaw-like career.  That would obviously be HOF worthy.

Bradshaw is the exact comparison I had in mind.  Bradshaw was an average Qb with a career 50/50 split on TD to int ratio.  He had a steel curtain defense that helped get him some rings.  Anyone with 4 Supberbowl rings has to be in the HOF.

Bradshaw's stats were pathetic, and so were the Steelers his first three or four years.  But after that his stats were amazing, if I recall.  There is no reason Blake can't be that, though it is not the most likely thing.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Let's get them SB wins first. Then we'll discuss all of this lol Tongue Please let this be the year!!!
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(08-24-2018, 04:03 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I think Eli will get in the HOF...maybe not the first year.  Yes, his regular career season stats are...meh. But in those Super Bowl wins against the Patriots, he was fire, playing out of his head.

Meh? 

Alltime:
#6 passing yds
#8 TDS
#6 completions

Throw in 2 SB's.

He's a product of the new era, but statistically he is a HOF'r easy.

(08-24-2018, 07:14 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 04:03 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I think Eli will get in the HOF...maybe not the first year.  Yes, his regular career season stats are...meh. But in those Super Bowl wins against the Patriots, he was fire, playing out of his head.

Meh? 

Alltime:
#6 passing yds
#8 TDS
#6 completions

Throw in 2 SB's.

Sucks that those overall numbers are what voters are going to look at doesn't it =/. All stats should be looked at based on rates (and era adjustment when possible).

Such as:
#83 (17th among active QBs) in Y/A.
#63 (15th) in TD%.
#53 (22nd) in INT%.
#42 (20th) in Comp%.

I could go on, but I think that's enough to show he's simply been bad.

(08-24-2018, 08:20 PM)Upper Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 07:14 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Meh? 

Alltime:
#6 passing yds
#8 TDS
#6 completions

Throw in 2 SB's.

Sucks that those overall numbers are what voters are going to look at doesn't it =/. All stats should be looked at based on rates (and era adjustment when possible).

Such as:
#63 (15th) in TD%.
#53 (22nd) in INT%.
#42 (20th) in Comp%.

Agreed.

(08-24-2018, 06:31 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: Let's get them SB wins first. Then we'll discuss all of this lol Tongue Please let this be the year!!!

Agreed. Hypotheticals are fun, but they are basically pointless. Individual goals are fine, but the Jags go out there to win a Superbowl, as a team. We have to accomplish the championship part, before Bortles even has a shot at the HOF. Let's not put the cart before the horse. We can definitely win a championship with this team though. We just need everyone to stay healthy and play up to their potential.

(08-24-2018, 08:20 PM)Upper Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 07:14 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Meh? 

Alltime:
#6 passing yds
#8 TDS
#6 completions

Throw in 2 SB's.

Such as:
#63 (15th) in TD%.
#53 (22nd) in INT%.
#42 (20th) in Comp%.

Bad might be exaggerate a bit, but definitely mediocre.

He's like the opposite of Boselli, such a long career of mediocrity vs such a short career of dominance. If Boselli isn't worthy then I don't see how Manning is.

(08-24-2018, 08:44 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 08:20 PM)Upper Wrote: Sucks that those overall numbers are what voters are going to look at doesn't it =/. All stats should be looked at based on rates (and era adjustment when possible).

Such as:
#63 (15th) in TD%.
#53 (22nd) in INT%.
#42 (20th) in Comp%.

Bad might be exaggerate a bit, but definitely mediocre.

He's like the opposite of Boselli, such a long career of mediocrity vs such a short career of dominance. If Boselli isn't worthy then I don't see how Manning is.

It still comes down to the SBs. Had we won it all in ‘96 and ‘99, Boselli would be in.

Eli doesnt deserve to be in the hall, and if Blake has a similar career then neither does be.

If it were up to me there's no chance Eli would make it into the HOF. 

Now Coughlin needs to be in the HOF for what he managed to do despite having Eli as his starting QB.
'02