Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If Blake Bortles manages to win a couple of Super Bowls with this team

I think it sucks that this became an Eli thread, but here's my outside the box take on the Eli HOF thing:

He's talented enough to warrant it. He was just never that type A football overachiever type that his five-head brother and wack-a-doodle father were. He was clearly the product of an overzealous sports-dad and didn't really have the passion for the game that his father and sibling shared. Had he adopted the same approach - he may have been a shoe in first ballot guy. I just think he didn't really give a damn, but the whole thing just fell into his lap.

Blake will have a very tough, uphill battle to the HOF and it's very unlikely, but I love the kid's attitude and toughness - and I'll root for him like mad this year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just hope for his sake, you guys wouldnt be compared to the 2000 ravens. Great defense with trent dufus as qb
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(08-25-2018, 06:24 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Just hope for his sake, you guys wouldnt be compared to the 2000 ravens. Great defense with trent dufus as qb

Ummm I wouldn’t care one bit. They could say the Jags are the worst team to ever win a SB and I would say “but... still won that SB though.”

(08-25-2018, 07:43 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-25-2018, 06:24 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Just hope for his sake, you guys wouldnt be compared to the 2000 ravens. Great defense with trent dufus as qb

Ummm I wouldn’t care one bit. They could say the Jags are the worst team to ever win a SB and I would say “but... still won that SB though.”

Agreed. As long as we win a Superbowl, everything's good.

I will do backflips off the high dive and that scares the crap out of me.

(08-25-2018, 12:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think it sucks that this became an Eli thread, but here's my outside the box take on the Eli HOF thing:

He's talented enough to warrant it. He was just never that type A football overachiever type that his five-head brother and wack-a-doodle father were. He was clearly the product of an overzealous sports-dad and didn't really have the passion for the game that his father and sibling shared. Had he adopted the same approach - he may have been a shoe in first ballot guy. I just think he didn't really give a damn, but the whole thing just fell into his lap.

Blake will have a very tough, uphill battle to the HOF and it's very unlikely, but I love the kid's attitude and toughness - and I'll root for him like mad this year.

His dad wasn't really all that great either.
Signature goes here.

(08-25-2018, 05:41 PM)TheBigDawg Wrote:
(08-25-2018, 12:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think it sucks that this became an Eli thread, but here's my outside the box take on the Eli HOF thing:

He's talented enough to warrant it. He was just never that type A football overachiever type that his five-head brother and wack-a-doodle father were.  He was clearly the product of an overzealous sports-dad and didn't really have the passion for the game that his father and sibling shared. Had he adopted the same approach - he may have been a shoe in first ballot guy.  I just think he didn't really give a damn, but the whole thing just fell into his lap.

His dad wasn't really all that great either.

I would beg to differ.  Archie Manning is one of the all time greats.

Regarding Eli Manning getting into the HOF, I doubt it.  If he even gets a nomination that would tell me that the voting is flawed.

As far as Bortles making it, it's pretty doubtful.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-26-2018, 03:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-25-2018, 05:41 PM)TheBigDawg Wrote: His dad wasn't really all that great either.

I would beg to differ.  Archie Manning is one of the all time greats.

Regarding Eli Manning getting into the HOF, I doubt it.  If he even gets a nomination that would tell me that the voting is flawed.

Come on.......

125 TD's over 13 years with 173 Cry INT's????  55% of his passes completed?

Not hearing anything about his supposed rushing ability either, with 18 TD's over those 13 years.  2100 yards.

By contrast Bortes has 1410 rushing yards as of TODAY.  

Simply put, the most overrated player ever.  Why people think he was ANYTHING other than a passer of genetic material to Peyton is beyond me.

(08-26-2018, 04:02 PM)nate Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 03:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I would beg to differ.  Archie Manning is one of the all time greats.

Come on.......

Not hearing anything about his supposed rushing ability either, with 18 TD's over those 13 years.  2100 yards.

Simply put, the most overrated player ever.  Why people think he was ANYTHING other than a passer of genetic material to Peyton is beyond me.

I don't know how old you are, but the NFL was MUCH different during the Archie Manning era.  Heck, I'll bet you wouldn't be impressed with Bart Starr's stats.

To get back to the point of this thread, I don't see Bortles even getting consideration for the HOF at this point.  Stats and Superbowl wins don't matter as much as performance.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2018, 07:58 PM by TheBigDawg.)

(08-26-2018, 04:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 04:02 PM)nate Wrote: Come on.......

I don't know how old you are, but the NFL was MUCH different during the Archie Manning era.  Heck, I'll bet you wouldn't be impressed with Bart Starr's stats.

To get back to the point of this thread, I don't see Bortles even getting consideration for the HOF at this point.  Stats and Superbowl wins don't matter as much as performance.

To quote a Saints fan......

"He was an average-to-above-average QB for his time playing on one of the worst teams in the league. He's not overrated because no one actually considers him to be even close to one of the better QBs of his era, but if he didn't have super sperm he would've been long since forgotten by now."

Not exactly a glowing compliment.

But Bortles in the HOF....... Long shot at best
Signature goes here.

(08-24-2018, 09:37 PM)Jags02 Wrote: If it were up to me there's no chance Eli would make it into the HOF. 

Now Coughlin needs to be in the HOF for what he managed to do despite having Eli as his starting QB.

Imagine if he gets one as VP of a team with Bortles at QB.

I think Coughlin is a first ballot HOF anyway... but talk about shoe-in

(08-26-2018, 04:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 04:02 PM)nate Wrote: Come on.......

The "how old you are" thing is weak.

Look at those stats.   Look at them again.

The game is still 60 minutes.  The field is still 100 yards long.  They still play with 11 on a side.

And you still don't throw it to the other team 25% more than you throw it to your own team in the end zone.

He stank, in any generation.

(08-27-2018, 08:07 PM)nate Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 04:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't know how old you are, but the NFL was MUCH different during the Archie Manning era.  Heck, I'll bet you wouldn't be impressed with Bart Starr's stats.

The game is still 60 minutes.  The field is still 100 yards long.  They still play with 11 on a side.

And you still don't throw it to the other team 25% more than you throw it to your own team in the end zone.

The seventies were a rough decade for quarterbacks
Stats were awful using today's perspective.

(08-27-2018, 08:07 PM)nate Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 04:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't know how old you are, but the NFL was MUCH different during the Archie Manning era.  Heck, I'll bet you wouldn't be impressed with Bart Starr's stats.

Back then, the quarterback wasn't "protected" like the position is in today's NFL.  They also didn't pass nearly as much.  He took some brutal hits, led the league in passing attempts and completions in 1972 and was selected for the pro-bowl twice in 1978 and 1979.

Regarding the "how old are you" thing, I grew up watching him play.  He was a fan favorite, especially among those of us that didn't have a "home team".

Sure his stats "stink", especially by today's standards but he was still one of the best to ever play the game.

It's all about perspective when looking at players from the 1970's vs. players today.

(08-27-2018, 09:49 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Back then, the quarterback wasn't "protected" like the position is in today's NFL.  They also didn't pass nearly as much.  He took some brutal hits, led the league in passing attempts and completions in 1972 and was selected for the pro-bowl twice in 1978 and 1979.

Regarding the "how old are you" thing, I grew up watching him play.  He was a fan favorite, especially among those of us that didn't have a "home team".

Sure his stats "stink", especially by today's standards but he was still one of the best to ever play the game.

It's all about perspective when looking at players from the 1970's vs. players today.

Agree.  Also, people should be reminded that DBs were allowed to hit WRs all throughout the playing field so it wasn't a penalty when someone like Jack Tatum would take out Lynn Swann 15 yards down the field when Bradshaw was scrambling around.

Bradshaw really made clutch plays throughout his career and was only 2nd to Stabler operating the 2 minute drill in the 70's.  I really hate to say it but as of today, Blake has been one of the worst QB's trying to comeback in the final 2 minutes.  Hopefully that changes because he's done it throughout his college career.