Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
John McCain - RIP

(08-27-2018, 06:59 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 05:51 PM)haveaseat Wrote: Took almost a whole day before the flag was lowered halfway because Cheeto in charge is a petty child. He's got to be the most hated president of the past 25 plus years.

Only by you and people like you.

Trump wasn't the petty one.

"He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured." 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Amazing. McCain should be the model republican and American hero and here the trumpettes get all defensive.

Just because he refused to play to the baying mob of deplorables and was respectful while disagreeing with his opponents.

(08-27-2018, 10:35 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Amazing. McCain should be the model republican and American hero and here the trumpettes get all defensive.

Just because he refused to play to the baying mob of deplorables and was respectful while disagreeing with his opponents.

The majority of Trump supporters were expressing condolences. It was the usual suspects who brought Trump into the picture.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 08:28 AM by Jagwired.)

McCain suddenly adored by the left? After he was the hated enemy when he ran for POTUS? Funny watching the Dems now use his death and upcoming services as a means to dog Trump for something/anything else they perceive as negative. So predictable and pitiful at the same time.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-28-2018, 08:25 AM)Jagwired Wrote: McCain suddenly adored by the left? After he was the hated enemy when he ran for POTUS? Funny watching the Dems now use his death and upcoming services as a means to dog Trump for something/anything else they perceive as negative. So predictable and pitiful at the same time.

Did you really expect anything less?

(08-28-2018, 08:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Did you really expect anything less?

Not at all. That's the good thing about the left. One never has to expect anything, especially the unexpected.

(08-27-2018, 10:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 10:35 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Amazing. McCain should be the model republican and American hero and here the trumpettes get all defensive.

The majority of Trump supporters were expressing condolences. It was the usual suspects who brought Trump into the picture.

Namely, Trump himself.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(08-28-2018, 09:46 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 10:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The majority of Trump supporters were expressing condolences. It was the usual suspects who brought Trump into the picture.

Namely, Trump himself.

Did you expect anything less?

Trump fears the traits exhibited by John McCain, having none of them himself.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

I'm pretty damn sure I read somewhere that McCain had requested Trump not be at the service or speak on it. So he honors McCains wishes and he's wrong. He goes or does something and he's disrespectful to McCains wishes. Hmmmmmm?

(08-28-2018, 08:25 AM)Jagwired Wrote: McCain suddenly adored by the left? After he was the hated enemy when he ran for POTUS? Funny watching the Dems now use his death and upcoming services as a means to dog Trump for something/anything else they perceive as negative. So predictable and pitiful at the same time.

Maybe from the extremes, but McCain only drew true disdain when he chose Sarah Palin as his running mate. I know many moderates on both sides who may have voted for McCain vs. Obama had he chosen someone more qualified. Even then, there was mutual respect, which grew once McCain emerged as one of the Republicans brave enough to call out Trump for what he is.
- Bob Marley

(08-28-2018, 09:52 AM)Jagwired Wrote: I'm pretty damn sure I read somewhere that McCain had requested Trump not be at the service or speak on it. So he honors McCains wishes and he's wrong. He goes or does something and he's disrespectful to McCains wishes. Hmmmmmm?

You're correct, Senator McCain specifically requested that Trump not be invited to his funeral. Nobody is criticizing Trump for not attending McCain's funeral, there would be outrage if he did.

Trump is being justifiably criticized for being a petulant child, who had to be convinced to act like an adult and say something respectful about someone who said mean things about him.
- Bob Marley

(08-27-2018, 07:46 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 06:59 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Only by you and people like you.

Trump wasn't the petty one.

"He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured." 

Quote:“It’s John McCain who wears $500 shoes, has six houses, and comes from one of the richest families in his state . . . he doesn’t particularly empathize with the plight of the average person.”

That was Chuck Schumer.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-28-2018, 10:04 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 07:46 PM)TJBender Wrote: "He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured." 

Quote:“It’s John McCain who wears $500 shoes, has six houses, and comes from one of the richest families in his state . . . he doesn’t particularly empathize with the plight of the average person.”

That was Chuck Schumer.

No comparison. 
First of all, denigrating the service of any vet that got an honorable discharge is completely out of bounds, especially when you are not a vet yourself. Obama never denigrated McCain's service and neither did Bush.
Denigrating someone for his rich lifestyle is poor taste, but, it's also part of politics because most voters do want to feel like their leaders understand the challenges of not having millions of dollars.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-28-2018, 10:12 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 10:04 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: That was Chuck Schumer.

No comparison. 
First of all, denigrating the service of any vet that got an honorable discharge is completely out of bounds, especially when you are not a vet yourself. Obama never denigrated McCain's service and neither did Bush.
Denigrating someone for his rich lifestyle is poor taste, but, it's also part of politics because most voters do want to feel like their leaders understand the challenges of not having millions of dollars.

So it's OK if the Left denigrates McCain but not the Right, and an excuse is fabricated to justify it.

Classic!

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-28-2018, 10:23 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 10:12 AM)mikesez Wrote: No comparison. 

So it's OK if the Left denigrates McCain but not the Right, and an excuse is fabricated to justify it.

Classic!

Having read the news for the last 20 years, McCain was one of the few legislators who had strong support and respect from both sides of the horseshoe. He would have won in 2008 had the GOP not thrust some idiot from Alaska onto his campaign to try and grab the female vote, and he would have been one of the best Presidents in US history, period.

(08-28-2018, 10:54 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 10:23 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: So it's OK if the Left denigrates McCain but not the Right, and an excuse is fabricated to justify it.

Classic!

Having read the news for the last 20 years, McCain was one of the few legislators who had strong support and respect from both sides of the horseshoe. He would have won in 2008 had the GOP not thrust some idiot from Alaska onto his campaign to try and grab the female vote, and he would have been one of the best Presidents in US history, period.

People don't vote based on the VP candidate, and Obama won with a huge lead. McCain could not have won in 2008 even if Mother Theresa was his running mate.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but In his latter years, McCain let his personal disdain for Trump affect his decision making in doing what was best for the country and his party. John McCain was a republican and for people to now pretend he worked both sides of the aisle is silly. This is an RIP thread for McCain and he did more good in his life than bad, so that is how I will remember him.

(08-28-2018, 10:02 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 09:52 AM)Jagwired Wrote: I'm pretty damn sure I read somewhere that McCain had requested Trump not be at the service or speak on it. So he honors McCains wishes and he's wrong. He goes or does something and he's disrespectful to McCains wishes. Hmmmmmm?

You're correct, Senator McCain specifically requested that Trump not be invited to his funeral. Nobody is criticizing Trump for not attending McCain's funeral, there would be outrage if he did.

Trump is being justifiably criticized for being a petulant child, who had to be convinced to act like an adult and say something respectful about someone who said mean things about him.

So, it says nothing to McCain's character that he asked that Trump not go to his funeral, but it does say something about Trump's character that he doesn't compliment the man that despised him?

I don't blame McCain for not wanting Trump. I don't blame Trump for not complimenting McCain. They didn't like each other, and if this didn't include Trump, it would be a nonissue.

(08-28-2018, 10:54 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 10:23 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: So it's OK if the Left denigrates McCain but not the Right, and an excuse is fabricated to justify it.

Classic!

No one was beating Obama in '08.

McCain was called a traitor, racist, etc. when he was running against Obama. He's only ever been praised (by the left) when he isn't opposing a democrat and when he was opposing Trump.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 12:37 PM by mikesez.)

(08-28-2018, 10:23 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 10:12 AM)mikesez Wrote: No comparison. 

Classic!

It's not a fabrication.
Try this experiment.  Find two veterans who earned purple hearts or bronze stars.  Tell one, "I don't like your shoes."  Then tell the other one, "I don't think you served honorably."  See which one is more upset with you.  Also count your teeth before and after.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 12:40 PM by mikesez.)

(08-28-2018, 12:26 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: McCain was called a traitor, racist, etc. when he was running against Obama. He's only ever been praised (by the left) when he isn't opposing a democrat and when he was opposing Trump.

I don't recall any of that.  Certainly none of it came from any other candidate for President.
Do you think we should hold candidates for President to a higher standard than random pundits, or not?

(08-28-2018, 11:23 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 10:54 AM)TJBender Wrote: Having read the news for the last 20 years, McCain was one of the few legislators who had strong support and respect from both sides of the horseshoe. He would have won in 2008 had the GOP not thrust some idiot from Alaska onto his campaign to try and grab the female vote, and he would have been one of the best Presidents in US history, period.

People don't vote based on the VP candidate, and Obama won with a huge lead. McCain could not have won in 2008 even if Mother Theresa was his running mate.

Partial credit to both of you.
McCain definitely lost some votes after selecting Palin, but he might have gained some others.  Hard to say for sure.
But he was going to lose anyways.  No one has duplicated Obama's 2008 total of over 69 million votes, not even Obama.