Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The biggest scoreboards in the world

Wink 

Our scoreboards are really nice. Love em. But yesterday’s game put me over the edge.  Not only is it littered with advertisements on at least 60% of its area, but now during the most important part of the game, namely the red zone, they take even the small area that’s reserved for the actual freaking game, and put ANOTHER huge advertisement on it by making the field red.  I think it was some sort of money magazine add. 

Am I the only one that’s infuriated by this?
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Doesn't bother me even a little bit.

Yeah, I agree. Get that revenue by any means necessary.

Nah it doesn’t bother me bc I remember a time the jags were gonna be sold and shipped to London.

And the games were always blacked out.

Now we are winning and everything is perfect.

I had the same thoughts as the OP in that I noticed that the viewing area had shrunk in deference to the ads and it took a bit to figure out the Red Zone screen. OTOH, I pretty much just watch replays like everyone else so it doesn't bother me much.

I do hate what they do with TV where they project an ad onto a flat surface like the CF fence in baseball. There can't be ads on the CF fence b/c the batter cannot pick up the pitch (Google Tony Conigliaro) but, on a fly ball to CF, TV will project an ad onto the fence so you see it as the play is being made.

I've seen it in hockey, too, ads are being projected onto the glass behind the goalie.

The only thing that bothers me these days is that monstrosity hotel they are building on St. Augustine Beach. But that's a different story.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(08-26-2018, 10:13 PM)SuperJville Wrote: Our scoreboards are really nice. Love em. But yesterday’s game put me over the edge.  Not only is it littered with advertisements on at least 60% of its area, but now during the most important part of the game, namely the red zone, they take even the small area that’s reserved for the actual freaking game, and put ANOTHER huge advertisement on it by making the field red.  I think it was some sort of money magazine add. 

Doesn't bother me because I'm watching the game not the scoreboards.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

You have to admit that the scoreboards are affecting the overall lighting of the field. It darkens(per se) the playing field quite a bit. Now they need to amp up the stadium lights a little to compensate.

(08-27-2018, 07:44 AM)shadowjag01 Wrote: You have to admit that the scoreboards are affecting the overall lighting of the field. It darkens(per se) the playing field quite a bit. Now they need to amp up the stadium lights a little to compensate.

Ironic that you, "shadowjag", should point this out but I guess that's what you do. Come from the dark side, my friend, come to the light.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

So wait a minute, you are at the game? Buuuuwwwwaaaaa!!. You are aware that you can actually watch the game on the field...right? Man do we have our share and more of complainers. Gee, I wonder why the Jags would want to possibly earn some money back on the 60 million dollar investment they made? Just can't imagine.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Doesn’t bother me. Advertise away. I only glance up on controversial plays anyways or during timeouts. Perhaps they are just trying some different arrangments during the preseason.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-26-2018, 10:13 PM)SuperJville Wrote: Our scoreboards are really nice. Love em. But yesterday’s game put me over the edge.  Not only is it littered with advertisements on at least 60% of its area, but now during the most important part of the game, namely the red zone, they take even the small area that’s reserved for the actual freaking game, and put ANOTHER huge advertisement on it by making the field red.  I think it was some sort of money magazine add. 

I like the scoreboards for the most part. I don't pay too much attention to them during live plays, but they are great for replays, and for the ginormous "Jaguars Win" display at the end of games. I do agree that the Red Zone display was distracting with how bright it was.

Probably.

The boards are used for advertising for a team that is trying to find revenue anywhere it can get it.  If that's the cost, so be it.  Still a vast improvement over what was there before.

If you want to get the highest definition view of the game, look down a little bit.

BTW, they're not the worlds largest boards any more.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-27-2018, 07:44 AM)shadowjag01 Wrote: You have to admit that the scoreboards are affecting the overall lighting of the field. It darkens(per se) the playing field quite a bit. Now they need to amp up the stadium lights a little to compensate.

They don't affect the lighting on the field by making it darker. If anything, it actually gets brighter with the boards running.  If they did darken the playing field, the networks would express concerns.  Your perception may be that it's darker, but those Musco lights they've got in the stadium are engineered to provide what is necessary for them to play games at night without concerns for.  The company that installs and maintains them constantly tests the lights to make sure they're meeting the standards required to televise night games.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Infuriates is a bit much, but I agree I did not like what they did with the redzone ad and the red field.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2018, 11:42 AM by shadowjag01.)

(08-27-2018, 08:16 AM)PF* Wrote:

Ironic that you, "shadowjag", should point this out but I guess that's what you do. Come from the dark side, my friend, come to the light.

LOL

(08-27-2018, 09:41 AM)FBT Wrote:

They don't affect the lighting on the field by making it darker.  If anything, it actually gets brighter with the boards running.  If they did darken the playing field, the networks would express concerns.  Your perception may be that it's darker, but those Musco lights they've got in the stadium are engineered to provide what is necessary for them to play games at night without concerns for.  The company that installs and maintains them constantly tests the lights to make sure they're meeting the standards required to televise night games.

I understand that the stadium lights have not changed, thus making it darker. But you can't deny that the HUE from the boards affect the way the lighting looks from the stands. At least to me. Just sayin.

Nowhere did I complain for the last few years, even with well over 50% of the screen being ads. I get it, you need them.

But to take even the middle part, the part where the game is actually being shown, and try to squeak out even more money I think comes at a cost... and that is: overall enjoyment of the the game experience. Yes, the scoreboards add something to the experience. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t have wasted their money on them.

And yes, I get that you can look down and watch the game. I sit in the north end zone and when the plays are happening on the opposite side of the field, I at times like look at the scoreboards (as do a huge amount of people).

I think advertising can go too far, and IMO they went too far on this one.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(08-27-2018, 10:00 PM)SuperJville Wrote: Nowhere did I complain for the last few years, even with well over 50% of the screen being ads. I get it, you need them.

But to take even the middle part, the part where the game is actually being shown, and try to squeak out even more money I think comes at a cost... and that is: overall enjoyment of the the game experience. Yes, the scoreboards add something to the experience.  If they didn’t, they wouldn’t have wasted their money on them.

And yes, I get that you can look down and watch the game.  I sit in the north end zone and when the plays are happening on the opposite side of the field, I at times like look at the scoreboards (as do a huge amount of people).

I think advertising can go too far, and IMO they went too far on this one.

That is what I do as well.  I don't care what anyone says, the field seemed darker to me.  There are several lights out on the southwest corner light pole perhaps that caused the effect.  As for the red zone advertisement it was distracting as heck.  I hope they tone that down.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 10:07 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Yep -- this pretty much sums it up.

[Image: take-home-2.jpg]

Yep, lets go back to this one. Mucho better.

[Image: 225.ff26a9.jpg]
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-30-2018, 04:46 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Yep, lets go back to this one. Mucho better.

[Image: 225.ff26a9.jpg]

Said nobody.  Why does it have to be either that old one, or this one with the majority of it adverts?
Why can’t we have the new one and make the ads not as bad as they are now?
And I repeat - before the redzone nonsense I never complained, but I think it’s getting out of hand.