Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kessler has a future!

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2018, 01:06 AM by jaguarmvp.)

This isn't a vs Blake thread.  Kessler has a future with either this team or another.   He's quick, decisive,courageous, accurate, and can move.  Kessler suffers from a bit of the old happy feet in the pocket but he has looked damn good this preseason.  83% passing on 39 attempts, 1 passing 1 rushing td, 0 ints, playing with offensive linemen who have got him killed more than once.   Look how he performed in cleveland.

2016: Playing on a horrific browns team (has won 1 game in 2 seasons) Kessler had a respectable 92 rating in 8 starts.  6tds 2 ints. 
2017: Only played part time in 3 games 0 starts and never given a chance to grow from 2016.

Many can argue that it's against the 2's but the man can't help who he plays with.
He could be a future star.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah as really hope he can get on with a team. That will give him the chance. But really which team will give him the chance. Who knows?!
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

(08-27-2018, 01:00 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: This isn't a vs Blake thread.  Kessler has a future with either this team or another.   He's quick, decisive,courageous, accurate, and can move.  Kessler suffers from a bit of the old happy feet in the pocket but he has looked damn good this preseason.  83% passing on 39 attempts, 1 passing 1 rushing td, 0 ints, playing with offensive linemen who have got him killed more than once.   Look how he performed in cleveland.

2016: Playing on a horrific browns team (has won 1 game in 2 seasons) Kessler had a respectable 92 rating in 8 starts.  6tds 2 ints. 
2017: Only played part time in 3 games 0 starts and never given a chance to grow from 2016.

Many can argue that it's against the 2's but the man can't help who he plays with.  
He could be a future star.

Yes as Blakes backup. USC fan sis an alumni seen his whole college career, and rooted for him in the pros. But he's limited in the pros. Arm talent, pocket awareness, not mobile enough for this offense. Can win a game or two if Blake goes down but starter no.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2018, 01:35 AM by Upper.)

I'm not calling for Kessler to start either (yet) and I agree that Bortles leadership and toughness are attributes that carry value but are impossible to quantify...but I do think if you're purely matching up their ability to throw the football Kessler is superior. Let's look at each of their rate+ stats (rate stats adjusted so 100 is league average) from the last time they had reasonable sample sizes.

Bortles 2017 - Y/A+ 99, ANY/A+ 102, Comp%+ 91, TD%+ 97, INT%+ 97, Passrating+ 95
Kessler 2016 - Y/A+ 98, ANY/A+ 96, Comp%+ 112, TD% 85, INT%+ 124, Passrating+ 105

As you can see they were both pretty league average for the most part. Blake being a tad below average overall but especially with completion percentage. Kessler however was excellent at two stats that I think our team should value extra high considering our ball control/defense philosophy, completion percentage and interceptions.

Again I'm not calling for Kessler to start, but if he were forced into action I don't think we would lose very much and there's a chance we could even string together some more sustained drives and have fewer of those bone crushing decision making turnovers.

I also think Kessler could get us through a few games if Bortles got injured.

He’s not going to lose us many through bad decisions and he’s just as capable of managing the running game while completing some straightforward passes.

What I’m less confident of is him winning the shootouts, like the Steelers playoff game or the Seattle game, but hopefully it won’t come to that.

He is a young QB with starting NFL experience. I'd hope he'd look solid going against back-ups in pre-season. I think we have a real back-up QB at least. Nothing more or less.
No pain, no gain.

i definitely don't see him as a future star, but I think he has a long career ahead of him as a reliable backup. He is accurate, goes through his progressions and makes good decisions, but he lacks elite arm talent and still doesn't always have a sense for when he is being rushed. If he were to ever be a starter, I believe he'd be mediocre and it would have to be on a team which ran a variation of the WCO with a strong running game. For us, he's the perfect fit as a backup. Finally, I have confidence that we have a QB who can step in, if Bortles gets hurt and can give us a chance at winning games. We haven't had that in a very long time. Personally, I hope we hold onto him as long as we can.

If we could combine Kessler's and Bortles' traits we've have our guy.

Kessler's velocity (lack of) scares me though.

Breath of fresh air after the henne that just wouldn't go away since he was "mentoring" BB5
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

He does appear to go thru his progressions faster than BB and he is decisive. IMHO, BB thinks he can turn nothing into something, which lead to unnecassary sacks and questionable forced throws.
BB is the starter. It's not even close.

My thoughts on Kessler are this, Bortles at his worst was still better than Henne's best. Now, BB5's job isn't safe. If he stinks it up we have a guy that can come in and play decent. He's nothing more than a spot starter though. He'll never be a regular starter in this league. He's too limited physically in my opinion.

(08-27-2018, 04:34 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: i definitely don't see him as a future star, but I think he has a long career ahead of him as a reliable backup. He is accurate, goes through his progressions and makes good decisions, but he lacks elite arm talent and still doesn't always have a sense for when he is being rushed. If he were to ever be a starter, I believe he'd be mediocre and it would have to be on a team which ran a variation of the WCO with a strong running game. For us, he's the perfect fit as a backup. Finally, I have confidence that we have a QB who can step in, if Bortles gets hurt and can give us a chance at winning games. We haven't had that in a very long time. Personally, I hope we hold onto him as long as we can.

I completely agree. 

His arm strength is what would keep him from being anything more than a mediocre starter, but he has good qualities that would serve him well as a backup, especially in an offense like ours.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

If Kessler lights it up in the last preseason game I could see another David Garrard situation.

(08-27-2018, 12:10 PM)Matt Jones 904 Wrote: If Kessler lights it up in the last preseason game I could see another David Garrard situation.

Not that I have any say in it, but I don't want Kessler anywhere near the field in the last preseason game. 

A series, tops.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I feel much more comfortable with Kessler than Henne sitting in the backup spot.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(08-27-2018, 12:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 12:10 PM)Matt Jones 904 Wrote: If Kessler lights it up in the last preseason game I could see another David Garrard situation.

Not that I have any say in it, but I don't want Kessler anywhere near the field in the last preseason game. 

A series, tops.

My thinking exactly.  I wouldn't put anyone on the "projected 53" on the field unless they were truly "bubble" players.  I hate the 4th preseason game because it's pretty much players auditioning for a chance to make a roster on some team.  It's slightly better to watch than a college game.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-27-2018, 12:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

A series, tops.

I think the game plan for QB in the last preseason game looks something like this:

1. Tanner Lee
2. If he goes down, just punt

(08-27-2018, 10:32 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 12:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Not that I have any say in it, but I don't want Kessler anywhere near the field in the last preseason game. 

A series, tops.

I think the game plan for QB in the last preseason game looks something like this:

1. Tanner Lee
2. If he goes down, just punt

Does any of our 3rd string players (regardless of position), have any experience playing QB in college or high school? We could use them as an emergency QB.

I think DeDe said on an interview he played quarterback in high School and was moved to WR in college.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(08-28-2018, 04:53 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: I think DeDe said on an interview he played quarterback in high School and was moved to WR in college.

I don't wanna risk losing him either though.