Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - J.J. Watt: $41.6M in Hurricane Harvey relief shared

J.J. Watt: $41.6M in Hurricane Harvey relief shared

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ief-shared

J.J. Watt was at the forefront of fundraising efforts to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey one year ago. Watt's foundation released information Monday on how $41.6M in aid has been distributed.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2018, 07:17 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Why would they distribute the any portion of the $41 million to rebuild 600 homes and 420 childcare centers when the proceeds from insurance would cover such costs?  I guess JJ just saved Nationwide and Allstate a ton of money coming from pockets of the people.  I agree with providing meals and other essential items not covered by insurance.

(08-27-2018, 07:17 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Why would they distribute the any portion of the $41 million to rebuild 600 homes and 420 childcare centers when the proceeds from insurance would cover such costs?  I guess JJ just saved Nationwide and Allstate a ton of money coming from pockets of the people.  I agree with providing meals and other essential items not covered by insurance.

For the obvious reason that most dont carry flood insurance.

(08-28-2018, 08:06 AM)TackHammer56 Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 07:17 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Why would they distribute the any portion of the $41 million to rebuild 600 homes and 420 childcare centers when the proceeds from insurance would cover such costs?  I guess JJ just saved Nationwide and Allstate a ton of money coming from pockets of the people.  I agree with providing meals and other essential items not covered by insurance.

This.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Exactly this. Most homes are not destroyed by the hurricane itself but by flooding which is not covered by regular insurance. Most people don't have flood insurance because they don't see the need or don't want to pay for it. Hurricane comes, homes flood, insurance company says, "too bad." It happened to many here after Hurricane Matthew came through. Central NC isn't really known for having to deal with major flood issues so a lot of folks don't carry the insurance.

(08-28-2018, 05:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 08:06 AM)TackHammer56 Wrote:   For the obvious reason that most dont carry flood insurance.

Exactly this. Most homes are not destroyed by the hurricane itself but by flooding which is not covered by regular insurance. Most people don't have flood insurance because they don't see the need or don't want to pay for it. Hurricane comes, homes flood, insurance company says, "too bad." It happened to many here after Hurricane Matthew came through. Central NC isn't really known for having to deal with major flood issues so a lot of folks don't carry the insurance.

I didn't have flood insurance because I wasn't in a flood zone, and I'm still paying for the damages.  I have it now.  Hopefully never need to use it.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 03:06 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Sounds somewhat irresponsible to me.   420 child care centers without adequate insurance ?

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 03:57 PM by TackHammer56.)

(08-28-2018, 05:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 08:06 AM)TackHammer56 Wrote:   For the obvious reason that most dont carry flood insurance.

We dont have flood insurance since we're in a 1000 year flood plane.
The water from Harvey got within an 1/8 of a mile from the house and I still have no plans of purchasing flood insurance.
  The odds are astronomical that it would occur again in my lifetime.
     What made it worse was we were told to evacuate twice,both were rescinded leaving some seriously frazzled nerves.  
 And to make matters worse I was recovering from back surgery and there was no way I could even move stuff to the second floor.

(08-29-2018, 11:15 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Sounds somewhat irresponsible to me.   420 child care centers without adequate insurance ?

How so? It's not like they put kids in danger.
The loss would be on the owner of the childcare center.

(08-29-2018, 08:00 AM)Rico Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 05:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Exactly this. Most homes are not destroyed by the hurricane itself but by flooding which is not covered by regular insurance. Most people don't have flood insurance because they don't see the need or don't want to pay for it. Hurricane comes, homes flood, insurance company says, "too bad." It happened to many here after Hurricane Matthew came through. Central NC isn't really known for having to deal with major flood issues so a lot of folks don't carry the insurance.

I didn't have flood insurance because I wasn't in a flood zone, and I'm still paying for the damages.  I have it now.  Hopefully never need to use it.

Yep. There's almost zero percent chance it will ever flood where we are so we take precautions and stay insured. Fayetteville is about 45 minutes east of us and it wasn't supposed to flood like it did when Matthew hit and that city turned into a soup bowl. You just never know.