Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dumervil retires

DE/OLB Elvis Dumervil has decided to retire after a 12 year NFL career. He has a career sack total of 105.5 and he has at least a .5 sack against every team in the NFL. He is the 32nd player in NFL history to reach 100 sacks and he ranks 26th all time. He is also the first player in NFL history under 6'1" to reach 100 sacks. He was always one of my favorite defensive players in the NFL. Next stop, the HOF.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Solid career, but not a HOF Career.

(08-30-2018, 05:18 PM)JeepJag Wrote: Solid career, but not a HOF Career.

I disagree completely.

Numbers aren’t there. Being top 25 in sacks is a great career, but not a hall of fame career. I may be wrong, but I also don’t recall a super bowl win or stand out playoff moment. 2 time all pro and 4-5 pro bowls, but not enough time being the best at his position I don’t feel. Only time will tell.

(08-30-2018, 07:04 PM)JeepJag Wrote: Numbers aren’t there. Being top 25 in sacks is a great career, but not a hall of fame career. I may be wrong, but I also don’t recall a super bowl win or stand out playoff moment. 2 time all pro and 4-5 pro bowls, but not enough time being the best at his position I don’t feel. Only time will tell.

He's the only player in NFL history under 6'1" to rack up 100+ career sacks. He changed the game for undersized DE's.

He kind of fell off after 2014, but the dude was absolutely dominate for 7 or 8 years. I'd say he's HoF worthy.

(08-30-2018, 07:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 07:04 PM)JeepJag Wrote: Numbers aren’t there. Being top 25 in sacks is a great career, but not a hall of fame career. I may be wrong, but I also don’t recall a super bowl win or stand out playoff moment. 2 time all pro and 4-5 pro bowls, but not enough time being the best at his position I don’t feel. Only time will tell.

He's the only player in NFL history under 6'1" to rack up 100+ career sacks. He changed the game for undersized DE's.

Nobody really cares about the height crap.

He's short and has a huge advantage with leverage. 

Jared Allen [BLEEP] all over Dumervil and it isn't even close.

(08-30-2018, 12:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: DE/OLB Elvis Dumervil has decided to retire after a 12 year NFL career. He has a career sack total of 105.5 and he has at least a .5 sack against every team in the NFL. He is the 32nd player in NFL history to reach 100 sacks and he ranks 26th all time. He is also the first player in NFL history under 6'1" to reach 100 sacks. He was always one of my favorite defensive players in the NFL. Next stop, the HOF.

Hall of the Very Good, sure. HOF? nah.

But, given recent trends in the hall, dang near everyone gets in, so why not Elvis?

(08-31-2018, 01:25 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 07:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He's the only player in NFL history under 6'1" to rack up 100+ career sacks. He changed the game for undersized DE's.

Nobody really cares about the height crap.

He's short and has a huge advantage with leverage. 

Jared Allen [BLEEP] all over Dumervil and it isn't even close.

Uhhhhhh........ Who said we were comparing these two? Jared Allen is an All-Time great. Even Dumervil would tell you Allen is better, but that doesn't make Dumervil less HOF worthy.

I have my doubts about his Hall status. Guy only has 3.5 sacks in the Playoffs.

He had nice career, but the Hall? It's a 'no' from me, but I don't get a vote.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Charles Haley and Howie Long are both in the HOF and Haley only has 100.5 career sacks while Long has just 84. How could you justify having those two in the HOF and not Dumervil, who has more?

(08-31-2018, 11:17 AM)Deacon Wrote: I have my doubts about his Hall status. Guy only has 3.5 sacks in the Playoffs.

He had nice career, but the Hall? It's a 'no' from me, but I don't get a vote.

This is me too.  I am more stingy with my selections.  I think it was Vic that said Halls of Fame are more defined by who's NOT in, rather than those who are.

(08-31-2018, 11:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Charles Haley and Howie Long are both in the HOF and Haley only has 100.5 career sacks while Long has just 84. How could you justify having those two in the HOF and not Dumervil, who has more?

Haley has 6 rings, I think? That was easy.

Long played in a different era, passing wasn't nearly as favored as it is now, making it harder to tally those numbers.  Who else on those lines were drawing attention?  He also did that as a 3-4 End, which is not usually where pass rush comes from.

(08-31-2018, 01:58 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 11:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Charles Haley and Howie Long are both in the HOF and Haley only has 100.5 career sacks while Long has just 84. How could you justify having those two in the HOF and not Dumervil, who has more?

Haley has 6 rings, I think? That was easy.

Long played in a different era, passing wasn't nearly as favored as it is now, making it harder to tally those numbers.  Who else on those lines were drawing attention?  He also did that as a 3-4 End, which is not usually where pass rush comes from.

Rings shouldn't matter. The HOF is about individual accomplishments.

(08-31-2018, 02:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 01:58 PM)Mikey Wrote: Haley has 6 rings, I think? That was easy.

Rings shouldn't matter. The HOF is about individual accomplishments.

When you are a integral part of winning those championships as his own HOF teammates have said, then it does matter. He single handedly helped swing the balance of titles between two dynasties in the 90's. Definitely HOFer.